IGNORED

Where in the World Is Doug Philips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 8

Coconut Flan

16 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Wesley was high up in the VFI/VFM chain of command, not to mention being another MAJOR leghumper of Doug's.

From that link, a good reminder: 

It has also been confirmed that while Phillips' former non-profit employer will shutter, he will maintain control of his for-profit company, Vision Forum Inc., which sells books, audio lectures, and toys that promote the organization's conservative beliefs.

and this:

"It is our goal at Vision Forum to promote courageous fatherhood, noble motherhood, virtuous boyhood and girlhood through vision-casting discipleship tools that teach, equip, and inspire," reads Vision Forum Inc.'s mission page.

"vision-casting" is a nothing phrase with no meaning and the plain meaning of the sentence does not change when it is deleted.  Vision Forum really was the heyday of the Sanctimonious Twit. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

I accidentally accessed Doug’s Blog, or part of it, anyway (2004).

Ah yes - 2004 was the heyday of Doug's fulminating & bloviating over politics and just who should be allowed to vote and for whom.

Don't forget his henchwoman, Jennie Chancey, who was also happy to tell everyone else how to participate in politics in a godly way (emphasis added):

...we still do not believe that Christians should willfully cast a ballot for a man who is openly pro-choice, pro-homosexual, pro-feminist, etc. If Bush doesn't meet God's standards for civil magistrates, Kerry certainly doesn't. Our job is to "amen" God with our actions and choices and let Him sort out "the end from the beginning." There have to be lines we will not cross. The sanctity of human life is one of those lines. If there was no other reason to refuse to vote for Kerry, that would be it....what amuses me most of all as I sit here typing away is that I'm not casting a single ballot for anyone! My husband votes for our household (see my other article about that issue)

Don't bother looking for that "other article" by Jennie -- it's long since been scrubbed from the LAF website.

ETA: My bad - here's the "other article".

5 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Ah yes - 2004 was the heyday of Doug's fulminating & bloviating over politics and just who should be allowed to vote and for whom.

Don't forget his henchwoman, Jennie Chancey, who was also happy to tell everyone else how to participate in politics in a godly way (emphasis added):

Don't bother looking for that "other article" by Jennie -- it's long since been scrubbed from the LAF website.

They’re such cowards.

Excellent sleuthing, @AnnaSofia

Various thoughts: 

I thinking back to a thread on Wide World of Snark: Anna Delvey: girl pretends to be rich and fools just about everyone

This woman circulated in wealthy circles and managed to get wealthy people to foot the bill for plane tickets, hotels, clothes, you name it.  My sense about Doug is that people either fall under his spell (think Boerne Christian Assembly naifs or all of VF) or they are immediately repulsed by his shallow but relentless bullshit. 

I wonder if Doug has talked groomed some wealthy but naive person into  footing the bill (believing his filmmaker/talent agent bullshit). 

Re: the Excelsior He's listing an nice address to meet prospective clients in the foyer/cafe of said exclusive address, but lives elsewhere.  You can get a Special @ around $300 bucks a night for two or more nights at the Excelsior. 

Also, 929 is a NYC area code.  I'm thinking back to when I worked for a Big University, in a department that trained aspiring filmmakers.  Students would regularly get a cell phone number with a New York City area code, even though the Big University was about 1700 miles away from the Big Apple. 

Alas, Beall, the perpetual grass widow.  

One more thing: there's DW Winters Agency, Momentum Media, Cinema of Wonder, etc..  When you google these things, as anyone would who is checking them out, they just reflect back to facebook or a website with not much on it;  no reviews, no extensive links, a few entries on google, and then a link to FJ.   Just sayin'. 

Speaking of recoveringdaughters, how about that 5-part series by the woman who survived abuse from her brother “Eel” and helped her sister escape abuse from Eel AND the guy named “Creep?” I don’t know whether to believe a duo of parents could blithely our tgeir children in harms way, nor disrespect their own parents by having literally more kids than they could afford while living in the grandparents’ doke. I want to think it’s a big Ruth-like lie. I’m distressingly inclined to believe it’s the truth.

May oarents - may they RIP - look SO GOOD, contrasted to the monsters who are out there! 

3 hours ago, Howl said:

One more thing: there's DW Winters Agency, Momentum Media, Cinema of Wonder, etc..  When you google these things, as anyone would who is checking them out, they just reflect back to facebook or a website with not much on it;  no reviews, no extensive links, a few entries on google, and then a link to FJ.   Just sayin'. 

Not to mention googling "Doug Phillips:"

Googling DPIART.png

5 hours ago, Howl said:

Re: the Excelsior He's listing an nice address to meet prospective clients in the foyer/cafe of said exclusive address, but lives elsewhere. 

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if he's conned someone into footing some of his bills, but not to the level of living/working at an address that pricey for any length of time. Unless he's gone full gigolo and shacked up with someone :pb_lol:

One more thing: there's DW Winters Agency, Momentum Media, Cinema of Wonder, etc..  When you google these things, as anyone would who is checking them out, they just reflect back to facebook or a website with not much on it;  no reviews, no extensive links, a few entries on google, and then a link to FJ.   Just sayin'.

The only one I wonder about is Momentum Media. Doug mentions being "co-owner" of MM, and I'd love to know who the other owner is. I assume it was an LLC set up when they originally started filming the Bobby Bowden project, and I'm curious about who put up the money for that. There was some legit cash spent there, and you know it wasn't Doug's.

I've Google stalked like crazy, and can't find anything. Or rather, I've found several businesses calling themselves some variation of "Momentum Media", but nothing that seems to trace back to Dougie.

15 minutes ago, Howl said:

Heh.  No wonder he has aliases. 

The really funny part is that Doug Phillips, Phil Douglas, DW Winters, DW Cinematographer, nyc_cinematographer, scenesfromabeautifulworld, cryptoretro, and "Cinema of Wonder" ALL trace back here...

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Not to mention googling "Doug Phillips:"

Googling DPIART.png

The only thing is, your google results are personalized for you and based on your prior browser history. I did a google search for "Doug Phillips" using a proxy server based in Europe, and got something much less obviously damning. FJ does show up but only at the bottom. 

doug phillips.JPG

New post is up on beallsblog.com, in which Be-All blathers onandonandonandon about September is the new January!!, and how much she is going to get done, and how much more weight she is going to lose, and how she feels just like a kindergartener on her first day of school...

Christ on a cracker, woman - September is September. January is January. Does everything have to be so damned special with you?? Try taking it one day at a time, like the rest of us peons.

But she HAS to be special. I mean, it’s not like she can admit to being another middle aged woman ditched by an immature husband, because that would look bad.
Beall must continue to be The Most Awesome and Most Special and A Role Model To All.

I'm still trying to figure out how she purchased a cold- shoulder top online from Anthropologie, and was so confused about where her arms should go that she donated it to Goodwill. Did she not see a photo of it on a model before she ordered? What did she think it was?

6 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

I'm still trying to figure out how she purchased a cold- shoulder top online from Anthropologie, and was so confused about where her arms should go that she donated it to Goodwill. Did she not see a photo of it on a model before she ordered? What did she think it was?

I laughed, but I must admit I could see myself getting tangled up in a shirt like that. I'd know what it's supposed to do, but actually getting it to do it is the kind of thing I'd mess up!

On 9/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, DomWackTroll said:

@Howl, I went looking for Doug, and I didn't find him, but I found this: 

https://recoveringdaughters.com/

Do we already know about this blog, which is run by Melody Bannister? 

I've seen that recovering daughters blog before so I think it has been discussed here at one point.  It looks as though it has many more articles than the last time I read there.

Re. plasma donation, I am sure the Phillipses claim they are doing it out of their essential goodness, not because they desperately need the cash.

However, there is a huge downside in the way the plasma banks are run.  It is big business.  There are also major health risks in donating too often.   In the US people are allowed to donate 2 X a week.  In most of the rest of the world donations are limited to 2 X a month.

IMO, no-one should be paid for their "time" in donating plasma and there is a lot wrong with the screening of donors.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/05/blood-money-the-twisted-business-of-donating-plasma/362012/

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanhae/PIIS2352-3026(17)30183-7.pdf 

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/03/plasma-donations/555599/

As for Beall, over-dramatics as usual.  So she spent 29 years "coasting through" September - January and set no goals for that time.  

Thanksgiving through Christmas and New Year’s is positively magical in my mind. But they are definitely “coasting days.” I certainly haven’t tried to get anything real done in that time.

I thought that VF didn't celebrate Christmas, so there was nothing magical about that. 

One wonders whether she has ever managed to get anything "real" done at any time of the year.  Oy, Beall!  September is back to school time for most children.  So you were sitting around making memories, traveling and trying recipes instead of homeschooling.

Those months are for making memories with family, maybe traveling, trying new gluten and sugar filled recipes and checking the scale at the same time so I don’t put on the “Fall 10” which is kind of like the “Freshman 10.” I have spent the last 29 years of September through December waiting for the new year to arrive.

She makes herself sound like an idle idiot.  There is nothing inspirational about Beall.

7 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Re. plasma donation, I am sure the Phillipses claim they are doing it out of their essential goodness, not because they desperately need the cash.

However, there is a huge downside in the way the plasma banks are run.  It is big business.  There are also major health risks in donating too often.   In the US people are allowed to donate 2 X a week.  In most of the rest of the world donations are limited to 2 X a month.

I used to donate plasma on a regular base and here in germany you are allowed to donate up to 45 times a year. You get a free health check every 6 or 7 donations.

16 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I thought that VF didn't celebrate Christmas, so there was nothing magical about that. 

One wonders whether she has ever managed to get anything "real" done at any time of the year.  Oy, Beall!  September is back to school time for most children.  So you were sitting around making memories, traveling and trying recipes instead of homeschooling.

She makes herself sound like an idle idiot.  There is nothing inspirational about Beall.

Re: the bolded......What??? I thought they would be all about the Norman Rockwell photo ops that Christmas celebrations would provide.  Here I thought all the time I spent reading this forum had taught me all I needed to know about Vision Forum and I still get surprised.  Can you elaborate on why they don't celebrate?  

13 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:

Re: the bolded......What??? I thought they would be all about the Norman Rockwell photo ops that Christmas celebrations would provide.  Here I thought all the time I spent reading this forum had taught me all I needed to know about Vision Forum and I still get surprised.  Can you elaborate on why they don't celebrate?  

Because it's pagan and "Roman" and blah, blah, blah. Not called for in the Scriptures. But that doesn't mean Doug didn't exploit it to the fullest. Currier & Ives-worthy scenes were accompanied by such phrases as "This Time of Year..." and "December Kick-Off Special!" No doubt many of his customers were "Put-the-Christ-back-in-Christmas" Christians, but they didn't seem to notice. 

Beall is on a keto diet.  I know a couple of people who are doing keto, have lost a LOT of weight and are highly energized, so apparently, it works incredibly well for some metabolic types. 

A fb friend from San Antonio (where Beall is living now) was joking about being on a "ta-keto" diet, a word play on taquitos. 

Taquitos are rolled up corn tortillas with some kind of shredded meat filling, and are typically fried or deep fried.  Flautas are the same thing, but made with flour tortillas. 

Wiki says that taquitos are a Mexican dish; however, in the distant past I've traveled extensively in many different parts of Mexico and don't recall ever seeing taquitos on a menu.  I think of them more as TexMex and and my impression is TexMex from San Antonio south to Laredo.  I live more in taco territory. 

That said, I don't eat much Mexican or TexMex anymore.....

21 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Because it's pagan and "Roman" and blah, blah, blah. Not called for in the Scriptures. But that doesn't mean Doug didn't exploit it to the fullest. Currier & Ives-worthy scenes were accompanied by such phrases as "This Time of Year..." and "December Kick-Off Special!" No doubt many of his customers were "Put-the-Christ-back-in-Christmas" Christians, but they didn't seem to notice. 

One of the many hilarious things about the Vision Forum catalogs was watching Doug's yearly attempt to push Christmas sales without actually saying the word Christmas :pb_lol:

I sorta miss it...

54 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:

What @DomWackTroll and @AnnaSofiasaid.  DPIAT preached loudly against pagan Christmas and harangued people who wanted to put up pagan Christmas trees.  While running special Christmas sales.  

Of course behind the scenes at the Phillips homestead they may have been celebrating up a storm for Christmas. 

IIRC, the VF important holidays were:  

• The Sinking of the Titanic (April)
  • Memorial Day (dressing up in army uniform)
  • Father's Day (naturally)
  • Reformation Day (Calvin!)
  • Thanksgiving 

I don't remember them doing much for Resurrection day (Easter).

10 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

One of the many hilarious things about the Vision Forum catalogs was watching Doug's yearly attempt to push Christmas sales without actually saying the word Christmas :pb_lol:

I sorta miss it...

Yeah, there was so much Peak Crazy with VF, but there have been some great spinoffs (the Bradrick! Kelly Implosion, recoveringdaughters, the Phillips Family post-VF diaspora, people returning to dressing normally, the inherent and continuing snark-worthiness of ALL THE BOTKINS) and one can be sure there are more to come. 

10 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

I sorta miss it...

I probably miss the Hazardous Journeys the most.  Arrogant little tourists.  This is the only one I can still find.   http://expeditiontoburma.com/

I'm assuming the ones who were trying to convert Everest when the Tool toppled from the VF mountaintop made it safely home.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived