IGNORED

Anna Delvey: girl pretends to be rich and fools just about everyone

unsafetydancer

I'm not sure if this has been covered on here before (mods, please feel free to move or merge this) but I read this article just now. It's pretty crazy that she got away with fraud for so long and that people were willing to pay her bills. It also says something pretty depressing about the part of society she conned, that they were so willing to overlook the obvious holes in her story just because she seemed like she was rich.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/05/how-anna-delvey-tricked-new-york.html

It reminds me of Moll Flanders. But Moll did the same thing to try and catch a rich husband. 

Wow, I finally finished reading the article and found it very interesting. I am so thrifty, I couldn't image just dropping $100's like that, but I guess when it's not your own money it's easy to do. Glad she was finally caught and I'm interested to see what happens to her. It's not like she can repay the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that article last month when it came out. So crazy. The companion article in Vanity Fair by one of the women on the Marrakesh trip was very interesting too.  I definitely gave the author the side eye after reading this one first. She was very self congratulatory about what a good person she is and how she just COULDN'T give up a free trip and if your friend wants to buy you things and treat you all the time why shouldn't you let her. 

TBH, I admire the titanium knick knacks it takes to pull off a hustle like this. Even Martin Pharma-Bro Shekreli was pulled in and dazzled by her. It would have been so easy to pull down her story at any point, but people kept justifying for her because she was "rich." She probably would've gotten away with it if she left New York after getting kicked out of the first hotel, but she'd started believing her own lie. 

Of course, this is morally reprehensible, but I just kind of admire the sheer audacity of the thing. 

9 hours ago, JMO said:

I read that article last month when it came out. So crazy. The companion article in Vanity Fair by one of the women on the Marrakesh trip was very interesting too.  I definitely gave the author the side eye after reading this one first. She was very self congratulatory about what a good person she is and how she just COULDN'T give up a free trip and if your friend wants to buy you things and treat you all the time why shouldn't you let her.

Yeah, I kinda thought the same, she was quite happy to go along with someone who seemed to be ridiculously wealthy if it meant she got a free holiday. 
It sort of reminded me of American Psycho, the way that she can name all the designer brands she wore and posh restaurants that she visited but she didn't ever seem to bother getting to know who her "friend" actually was. 

Archived