IGNORED

Dillards 55: Selling the High Life

Jellybean

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

On page 5 of the missions manual are two blank lines:

All of our ministries will involve 2 major aspects of ministry:  _________, and indigenous __________.

Fundie Mad Libs!  Oh, the fun we can have  :)

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

All of our ministries will involve 2 major aspects of ministry:  _________, and indigenous __________.

I'm guessing they meant to say fundraising and fundraising, but maybe I missed something?

I'll guess fear-mongering and exploitation.

10 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I'll guess fear-mongering and exploitation.

I'm going with grifting and harrassment

On 4/4/2018 at 9:02 PM, Alice in Fundieland said:

I ate there a few times before I learned about the owner’s anti-LGBTQ opinions and that was enough for me to stop giving them my business. My son, who is autistic, applied for a job there last year. They didn’t hire him and I found out from a friend who works there as a manager that “they really liked him and felt bad, but they don’t have any place for people with disabilities in their company so they couldn’t hire him.” Their official response was that they didn’t have any open positions for his skill set. I get angry even driving past the place.  My son just wants a job so badly and is more than capable. 

That seems like an ADA violation...I’m sorry you have to deal with that. I know there are plenty of orgs (but not enough) out there that try to help people with disabilities get jobs and provide training for employers on autism. 

16 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

oh but they sure did remember to bring derick's hat. :pb_rollseyes:

What they should have done is give Izzy their gloves and posted a cute photo of Izzy looking like he has oversized hands. “My hands may be freezing, but at least Izzy is warm! That’s the last time I forget his gloves. #momlife”

Doing that would be relatable. Not “Oh Whoops, forgot my toddler’s gloves but at least Papa is warm! Screw the kid and let him fend for himself!”

15 hours ago, artdecades said:

The fundraising tips seems right up their alley

Instead of praying his fundraising efforts are successful, can I pray that he GETS A DAMN JOB???

Jill likely has no frame of reference as to what people think are cute posts about kids so I think she gets what would be considered an “awww” moment or a “WTF” moment. She is from a lifestyle where kids are only praised for being “saved” at four and siblings raised siblings. it could also be she posts before thinking them through 

I also think her postings may be out of boredom. I don’t get the idea Derick spends much time with her like, Jim Bob did with Michelle, and Jill may miss always having her siblings around to pass the day with. Jill doesn’t seem to have an outlet just for herself. It’s always either praising Derick or taking care of the kids. 

2 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Jill likely has no frame of reference as to what people think are cute posts about kids so I think she gets what would be considered an “awww” moment or a “WTF” moment. She is from a lifestyle where kids are only praised for being “saved” at four and siblings raised siblings. it could also be she posts before thinking them through 

I also think her postings may be out of boredom. I don’t get the idea Derick spends much time with her like, Jim Bob did with Michelle, and Jill may miss always having her siblings around to pass the day with. Jill doesn’t seem to have an outlet just for herself. It’s always either praising Derick or taking care of the kids. 

Agreed, I do think she would benefit from doing something just for her, she was raised surrounded by siblings and she followed all the rules and along with her older sisters, ran the house and raised her siblings. I understand why she felt alone after marrying Derick and he left for work. Jill seems out of all the married sisters the most miserable, I think she expected things to be different when she got married and Josh scandals didn’t help either. I wish Derick would put her and the kids first and get a job that doesn't involve travelling all the time until the boys are older. 

I'm no Dwreck sympathizer, but he had a job - and Jill didn't like being alone, then they went to CA - and Jill didn't like being alone, and now she's tagging along with him while he's trying to meet the requirements of his church program.  I'd be amazed if he hasn't had second thoughts about the situation he got into with the Duggars, but it still leaves him with the tasks of keeping food on the table for his family and keeping Jill reassured.  I doubt he's going to get much more assistance from GoFundMe-type grifting, given his overall behavior, and it sounds like there's little to no TV money coming in.  Meanwhile, Jill is repeatedly posting happy photos on her Jill M (Make-a-Face) Dillard Instagram account but it's not clear that anyone's convinced...including them.

The way that Pickles got carried away was such a good reminder of why community is so important, she has been a lone wolf for far too long and it's easy to lose sight of things especially when discussing real human beings, real children, to forget what your end goal is, without a community to bring you back to reality.  She crosses lines of privacy over and over in desperation to break the latest scoop or to have photos available nowhere else as if it's some kind of game to win.

Over the years, as we watch many of these fundies (especially the children) suffer unnecessarily,  I think the temptation has come now and then to blur the lines and reach out and help but that is not our place, and it's not our goal. 

Would it be wonderful if Derick and Jazz met,  and Derick was able to see Jazz really is female, she has ALWAYS been female, she is SUPPOSE to be female?  Of course it would,  but that is up to them to navigate.  Pickles got so carried away in the fantasy she was harassing a minor and asking others do so as well and had no one to help her to realize she was becoming the problem and not the solution.  Pickles stands for many of the right things, I give her more credit then most, but without a community she becomes unchecked.

I am grateful for being part of community that hashing things out, goes back and forth and is a tapestry of opinions and life experiences.  I was debating if I wanting to tag some of my absolute favorite posters, but I am so afraid I will miss someone who has impacted me or entertained me greatly.

Anyways, it's reassuring to know the next time I get wound up and my hot air fills a balloon (and it will), someone will be there to pop it for me.  

On 4/6/2018 at 8:35 PM, MarblesMom said:

farting gas

On 4/6/2018 at 2:45 AM, klabourdeth said:

I wonder if it has more to do with individual fancise locations with the disability issue. I noticed one around me had a person on Down syndrome scale working.

On another note if you have a Krogers nearby they tend to be extremely favorable to those who are autistic. And really any other disability.

A manager is a human being. Some humans are prejudiced against anything just like any other human. I don't see why that has anything to do with the restaurant itseld. If she'd said her son was gay, I'd understand as it may have trickled down for some people.

A manager runs their own store though. My former boss who's gay but doesn't like the label is very transphobic. She would go on for daaaayyyysssss (NOT a joke or exaggeration) if someone trans were to have an interview. She wouldn't quit calling  a guy "she"  because legally, his name is still female. And this dude quit a couple of years ago. Stuff like that. But it doesn't have anything to do with the company's policy.

All of our ministries will involve 2 major aspects of ministry: potlucks and indigenous people.

15 hours ago, Fjrocks said:

Would it be wonderful if Derick and Jazz met,  and Derick was able to see Jazz really is female, she has ALWAYS been female, she is SUPPOSE to be female?  Of course it would,  but that is up to them to navigate.

But for Derick, that would mean admitting that God "made a mistake" and God don't make no mistakes.

I don't see it as "making a mistake," but I don't understand why these things happen in the framework of creationism. The Bible does say, "Male and Female created He them"... after all.

There are so many states between male and female that are seen medically. It’s not just transgender.

18 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I'd be amazed if he hasn't had second thoughts about the situation he got into with the Duggars, but it still leaves him with the tasks of keeping food on the table for his family and keeping Jill reassured. 

Same here.  I don't think life has quite gone the way Derick thought it would at this point in his life.  I think he had quite a different vision of it before he met the Duggar family and had no idea of what it really meant to marry into it, much less finding himself with a very needy wife.  Who was abused by her own brother, bet that was another surprise for Derick, can't imagine he can look at his BIL the same way ever again.   In short, he married into a total cluskerfuck of a family.

We all have our forks in the road and I believe Derick's particular fork in the road was marrying Jill.   I see his tweets about Jazz etc. more about his frustration than anything else. 

At any rate, he now has a family to support and his focus should be on that.  No more jaunts to CA or Nepal or wherever, it's time to get down to business.  Yeah it's not fun but many of us have been there, welcome to the real world, Derick. 

And maybe getting Jill some real therapy would be good idea too.  Not that it will happen.

6 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Same here.  I don't think life has quite gone the way Derick thought it would at this point in his life.  I think he had quite a different vision of it before he met the Duggar family and had no idea of what it really meant to marry into it, much less finding himself with a very needy wife.  Who was abused by her own brother, bet that was another surprise for Derick, can't imagine he can look at his BIL the same way ever again.   In short, he married into a total cluskerfuck of a family.

We all have our forks in the road and I believe Derick's particular fork in the road was marrying Jill.   I see his tweets about Jazz etc. more about his frustration than anything else. 

At any rate, he now has a family to support and his focus should be on that.  No more jaunts to CA or Nepal or wherever, it's time to get down to business.  Yeah it's not fun but many of us have been there, welcome to the real world, Derick. 

And maybe getting Jill some real therapy would be good idea too.  Not that it will happen.

I wonder how Derick rationalizes that his parents, good, decent, God fearing people only procreated 2 kids? Does he really believe that God only sent them 2 sons? D and J's boys have a 2 year age spacing- I wonder if DD insisted on such, and maybe that is a bit of an issue between the 2?

10 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder how Derick rationalizes that his parents, good, decent, God fearing people only procreated 2 kids? Does he really believe that God only sent them 2 sons? D and J's boys have a 2 year age spacing- I wonder if DD insisted on such, and maybe that is a bit of an issue between the 2?

You might be onto something.  Perhaps Derick has found he has to insist on things otherwise his life is going to careen even more out of control than it is. 

And no, I can't believe college educated Derick thinks that his decent parents had only two kids versus his in-family's 19 because God deigned to only send his parents 2 kid.  He's smarter than that.   Or that his in-law family was more godly, etc.  Especially with what he knows about his in-law family now.

I suspect Derick is struggling.  Doesn't make his behavior okay but I think down deep he's not happy at all.  Despite Jill's instagram posts.

Wow. Jill gets on my nerves and she doesn't have the sense that God gave to little birds, but I would hope that she knows to put sunscreen on her kids and that they took breaks on the journey. I think the fact that she is always trying to be in the pictures is part of the annoyance. Just take a breath, close your mouth, and smile normally. 

Derick doesn't have any sense because if he did, he'd shut up and get a real job. But it's Derick so...! :P

I think part of what weirds people out about Jill's pictures is the apparent lack of self awareness. She regularly posts photos that look weird, creepy, or somewhat alarming with no acknowledgement. There's nothing wrong with not having a perfect polished social media presence, but this seems to be what Derick and Jill have settled on as a career, and they seem incredibly ill-suited to it. They're too lacking in awareness about how they come across. Again, that's not really a criticism. There are all sorts of careers that I'm extremely ill-suited to and I would never attempt to be a dancer, or a makeup artist, or a physicist for example. 

I think if Derick and Jill were wise, they would choose career paths that didn't involve this kind of active social media promotion of their lives. Derick would probably be better suited to working as an accountant again. I think Jill would have made a fine nurse if she had actually had the willingness and agency to truly commit herself to that path, but clearly she doesn't. I could totally see her working as a medical receptionist or something of that sort, though. Something where she's in contact with a lot of people all the time and can use her bubbly personality to her advantage. Then they could volunteer at church in their spare time. As it is, they're putting this immense pressure on themselves to perform in a career they're clearly not suited to, and that's enough to make anyone miserable.

55 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think if Derick and Jill were wise, they would choose career paths that didn't involve this kind of active social media promotion of their lives.

I agree.  Perhaps they're thinking that if Jim Bob could get and keep the gravy train going despite multiple scandals, that they can too.  It'll be interesting to see if/when they figure out that it isn't viable for them.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived