IGNORED

BRADRICK! Divorce Part 3: Now With Remarriage?

Destiny

Let's not overlook the craziness of what Peter and Kelly named their children. For newcomers to the tale, their six children are:

Triumph Perseverance

Knox Defender

Loyal Cromwell

Geneva Constance

Michael Courage (pretty sure they call him by his middle name)

Shepherd Thomas

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

They either had no water heater or an insufficient/inoperable one, so Kelly had to heat water on the stove for bathing in the morning. 

Scottie or somebody had a picture of pots of water warming on a stove because she had no hot water heater, like it was some badge of honor. MFrs. 

3 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Here's a better picture of fundie princess Kelly and headship Bradrick with first baby Triumph

5ac64c7b504d1_SixtiethWeddingAnniversary022.jpg.f3915f821e7e3029245cbe50d6fe16fd.jpg

and of course the wedding

Reveal hidden contents

Kelly.thumb.jpg.3b80de8c9a604558e8a64b7bc090cecd.jpg

Those ears! Oh, the humanity! 

1 hour ago, Sister Mozz said:

Let's not overlook the craziness of what Peter and Kelly named their children. For newcomers to the tale, their six children are:

Triumph Perseverance

Knox Defender

Loyal Cromwell

Geneva Constance

Shepherd Thomas

I pity poor Triumph the most, though Loyal Cromwell is pretty bad as well. With the three youngest, you can get a relatively normal sounding name or nickname out of there somewhere, and with Knox, people might just assume his parents were hipsters, or Angelina Jolie fans. But Triumph Perseverance? He shares his first name with the insult comic dog AND none of the possible diminutives of either of his names sound good. Even his initials are T.P.

1 hour ago, Sister Mozz said:

Triumph Perseverance

Knox Defender

Loyal Cromwell

Geneva Constance

Shepherd Thomas

Out of all those names, Geneva has the most normal name.   But the others are just awful.  And who on earth names their kid after Cromwell?  

44 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Out of all those names, Geneva has the most normal name.   But the others are just awful.  And who on earth names their kid after Cromwell?  

People who have a hate-boner against Ebil Catholics.

Fundies can give them weird names and get away with it because their kids don't go to public school nor do they participate in group activities with the public. Therefore kids probably won't make fun of their names. Keeping your children isolated has a couple of perks I guess.

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Fundies can give them weird names and get away with it because their kids don't go to public school nor do they participate in group activities with the public. Therefore kids probably won't make fun of their names. Keeping your children isolated has a couple of perks I guess.

Plus there was a time when it was the trend for fundies to give kids these bizarre names as a badge of how "godly" they (the parents) were.  Biblical names aren't special enough until you have enough kids to resort to the deep cuts.  If you want to show how godly you are NOW, you need to name your kids things like Heistheway,  Triumph Perseverance, Spurgeon, and (my personal favorite) Vision O'YHWH.  The BRADRICK!s definitely got caught up in that trend.  

Its a trend I'm glad to see die, and I hope Spurgeon is the last of the holier than thou monikers.  

FWIW, I believe the photo of Kelly pregnant/flip flops was taken at a house in NC they were viewing to purchase but ultimately didn't.  I don't remember why I know that -- it may have been something Petey posted on his FB page when it was more public.  Their old house was truly old and I think it had a water heater but not one big enough for their family size for, thus the reason they needed to heat water on the stove.  Petey was quite proud that Kelly had the patience and perseverance for that -- such a work-horse she was!  

Masterful recap, @neurogirl!

The one quibble - and it is minor - is that the trip where Kelly nearly died of postpartum complications was to Europe, not Israel. 

IIRC the birth had not been easy but Kelly and Peter both - reportedly - insisted that she go, again IIRC less than 14 days after delivering and again IIRC against medical advice. 

What was pure evil in the aftermath of her being life-flighted and restored to health was that all the photos of her on the trip were removed from the VF pages!  

Ive forgotten how we great unwashed found out about it, but Kelly herself later wrote about how her god spared her life, IIRC. And in this case, meant god in heaven, not her headship.

The video that she & Peter made from the NICU before the trip, to wish “Mr. Phillips” a happy birthday, was breathy in a dominionist way to rival Marilyn Monroe's Serenade  to JFK way back when. Again as I recall, the duo were standing pressed close to each other, face to face, cooing into the camera at “Mr. Phillips” with not a mention of their fragile newborn in the background. I mean, it’s not as if she were a boy child .   

My phone needs a break but I have one more comment later.

The other thing that impressed me upon seeing these photos again was how un-tenderly Peter touched Kelly. Bridal photo - he’s got her by the upper arm (apparently, hidden from view).  With Baby TP, just side-by-Side, no arm around her, etc.

Now, to be a total kvetch, there IS  a photo of the two two of them sitting by each other at a Brown’s Barn marriage conference (“we know how to do marriage, you are doing it wrong, Pay money to hear us pontificate”) and I don’t don’t like it, too:  where his arm is around her upper back and his long gingery fingers seem to be clamping onto her shoulder.

Then there’s the one where they’re at a cafe and he has her in a benign version of a headlock....

Whst I’m saying is, looking back at those photos now, knowing that he was having feelings of bi- and/or homosexuality and at the same time playing the part of Crown Prince to the gorgeously virgin bride of all virgin brides — the headlocks and his “buddy”-type touching all makes a little sense. He’d been given the ultimate  prize of dominionist manhood - a beautiful, sturdy, submissive, fecund wife - and he really, in his heart of hearts, he didn’t want it!

8 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

The other thing that impressed me upon seeing these photos again was how un-tenderly Peter touched Kelly. Bridal photo - he’s got her by the upper arm (apparently, hidden from view).  With Baby TP, just side-by-Side, no arm around her, etc.

Now, to be a total kvetch, there IS  a photo of the two two of them sitting by each other at a Brown’s Barn marriage conference (“we know how to do marriage, you are doing it wrong, Pay money to hear us pontificate”) and I don’t don’t like it, too:  where his arm is around her upper back and his long gingery fingers seem to be clamping onto her shoulder.

Then there’s the one where they’re at a cafe and he has her in a benign version of a headlock....

Whst I’m saying is, looking back at those photos now, knowing that he was having feelings of bi- and/or homosexuality and at the same time playing the part of Crown Prince to the gorgeously virgin bride of all virgin brides — the headlocks and his “buddy”-type touching all makes a little sense. He’d been given the ultimate  prize of dominionist manhood - a beautiful, sturdy, submissive, fecund wife - and he really, in his heart of hearts, he didn’t want it!

There was also a photo good old Natty Darnell posted of Petey and Kelly on their honeymoon (did he go with them??') of the newlyweds posing on an outdoor staircase leading up to the entrance of some historic building.  Kelly looked demure, of course, in her long denim skirt and having presumably just lost her virginity, and Petey had one foot on the step she was standing on and his other foot on two steps up from that so above and behind her, and he was wearing boots.  He had his arm around her shoulder, but the look on his face and his posture/body language was all "I conquered!".  I wish I had the photo -- it's a classic.  

6 minutes ago, Granwych said:

The better to hear  you with!!

Awww no! I used to get that joke a fair bit because I have similar ears and one of them is totally deaf. I got my first hearing aid (for the other ear) when I was three, which didn’t help with the sticking out ears either.

Mostly irrelevant, and I know it’s not about me, but it still makes me self-conscious when people are mean about Bradrick’s ears.

Just now, Jellybean said:

Awww no! I used to get that joke a fair bit because I have similar ears and one of them is totally deaf. I got my first hearing aid (for the other ear) when I was three, which didn’t help with the sticking out ears either.

Mostly irrelevant, and I know it’s not about me, but it still makes me self-conscious when people are mean about Bradrick’s ears.

Sorry about that, JB!  My dear grandfather had the same ears, and that was his go-to joke.  He died two months before I met Grampwych, and I still miss him terribly.

Thomas is too common a name to put after Shepherd.  I would have gone with "Shepherd Book".  Much more shiny!

Personally I don't think she looks bad or frumpy at all, especially for being pregnant for the 3rd time. Her hair is colored and stiles and pulled back, she's wearing nice looking clothes. She has a baby belly yes, and maybe her feet are a bit swollen, it is NC in heat and humidity, but isn't fat at all. I wished I could look that good when I was pregnant with my 3rd, and my first few babies we're almost as close as her's we. I did look fat and tired, but I was so excited to be pregnant again. 

14 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

The video that she & Peter made from the NICU before the trip, to wish “Mr. Phillips” a happy birthday, was breathy in a dominionist way to rival Marilyn Monroe's Serenade  to JFK way back when. Again as I recall, the duo were standing pressed close to each other, face to face, cooing into the camera at “Mr. Phillips” with not a mention of their fragile newborn in the background.

Yes, that was a video for the ages.  I'm also curious where the breathy submissive meek little girl voice way of speaking comes from.  It had to have been role modeled by someone, because I have a sense that it was widely adopted in certain circles. 

I've seen videos of women of various ages who are deep in the fold of patriarchy  speak that way and it drives me crazy.  Theses women have literally been robbed of a normal voices. 

12 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Thomas is too common a name to put after Shepherd.  I would have gone with "Shepherd Book".  Much more shiny!

Did anyone ever go with Doubting Thomas, I wonder?

10 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Personally I don't think she looks bad or frumpy at all, especially for being pregnant for the 3rd time. Her hair is colored and stiles and pulled back, she's wearing nice looking clothes. She has a baby belly yes, and maybe her feet are a bit swollen, it is NC in heat and humidity, but isn't fat at all. I wished I could look that good when I was pregnant with my 3rd, and my first few babies we're almost as close as her's we. I did look fat and tired, but I was so excited to be pregnant again. 

Of course, she probably had no choice but to “look good” no matter how crappy she was feeling.

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Yes, that was a video for the age

And it has been saved, along with the pictures of her VF deleted from their European trip, on this blog. Not sure anything about the blog, but they have a lot to say about Kelly and how the men in her life treated her. 

http://ingridgraceandaudrey.blogspot.com/2012/06/portrait-of-lady.html

On 4/1/2018 at 7:39 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

I seem to remember Doug Phillips is a tool saying that the people in steerage wouldn’t have died if they had worked harder to get first class tickets. Keep in mind that a single first class ticket on the Titanic would have been the modern equivalent of $61,000, so not the best or most realistic investment for large immigrant families:

http://time.com/money/4283738/titanic-most-expensive-ticket/

That’s the most expensive suite onboard though. I went down the rabbit hole because this seriously piqued my curiosity. The cheapest 1st class tickets were £30, which, when plugged into a historical inflation calculator, is somewhere around $2,500 in today’s US dollars. That’s a chunk of change, sure. But it’s also less than the price of your average business class international plane ticket. 

1 minute ago, subsaharanafrica said:

That’s the most expensive suite onboard though. I went down the rabbit hole because this seriously piqued my curiosity. The cheapest 1st class tickets were £30, which, when plugged into a historical inflation calculator, is somewhere around $2,500 in today’s US dollars. That’s a chunk of change, sure. But it’s also less than the price of your average business class international plane ticket. 

But the bulk of the people in steerage were poor immigrants, many with pretty large families. Why would they scrimp and save for ridiculously expressive tickets when that money could have been put towards building a house or business in the US or Canada? Of course, most of the steerage passengers died, so it’s a moot point. Even a “cheap” first class ticket would have been out of reach for the steerage passengers.

Walter Lord wrote a good essay called “What Happened to the Goodwins” to challenge the notion that the bulk of steerage passengers died because they didn’t speak English as a first language and couldn’t follow crew instructions. The Goodwin family consisted of six children and two parents from Melksham, England who were immigrating to Niagara Falls, NY. All died because of the generally messed up way the evacuation of the Titanic proceeded, and because the negligent way steerage passengers in particular were treated. The youngest Goodwin child was identified as the Titanic’s famous unknown child, and he was the only member of his family whose body was ever recovered: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Leslie_Goodwin

On topic, I think we can all agree that if you’re going to put on a “celebration” of a major loss of human life, you should get the basic facts of the story straight and not use it as an excuse to cosplay or humble brag about what a chivalrous knight you are in your own mind.

4 hours ago, Howl said:

Yes, that was a video for the ages.  I'm also curious where the breathy submissive meek little girl voice way of speaking comes from.  It had to have been role modeled by someone, because I have a sense that it was widely adopted in certain circles. 

I've seen videos of women of various ages who are deep in the fold of patriarchy  speak that way and it drives me crazy.  Theses women have literally been robbed of a normal voices. 

Obviously, I’m only speaking from my own experience, but  that breathy voice thing doesn’t seem super widespread — in fundie and non-fundie circles. I don’t know any fundie/fundie-lights in real life who talk like that. As for Kelly, I think that’s just her voice; neither her mom nor youngest sister talk like that. 

10 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

I don’t think most of us are snark on Kelly’s 2.5-babies appearance to criticize her, but to point out the difference between the fairytale Bride Kelly in her size 0 gown, alight and blindly glowing, semi-handsome hudbabd smiking on  

That’s the image of womanhood that VF sold and complementarianism still sell. The image of the swollen, perspiring mother with one in the the womb, one in the hip and one on the exhausting go? I’m still surprised - but oh so grateful - they ever met that see the light of day. 

And grateful that the interwebz is forever.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

That’s the image of womanhood that VF sold and complementarianism still sell. The image of the swollen, perspiring mother with one in the the womb, one in the hip and one on the exhausting go? I’m still surprised - but oh so grateful - they ever met that see the light of day. 

What's most interesting about that photo, to me, is that they published that one.  Part of the Fundy brand is that if you pray the right way, life is all roses and clover, sunshine and glitter.  Have as many kids as is humanly possible, because God won't give you more than you can handle etc.  So it's all photos of adorable moppets, while the real-life implications, like blanket training and exhaustion, is behind the curtain.  I'm intrigued as to why Bradrick! revealed Kelly having to boil her own water, and looking less-than-delighted with her life, even if it was only for a moment.

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived