IGNORED

Pennington Point Fire - The Oils Are Safe

JesusPony

Just saw that the Penningtons had a house fire on January 26.  http://thepenningtonpoint.com/2018/01/a-house-fire/

Lisa has been posting updates on her YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/thepenningtonpoint 

Thankfully no one was hurt (because you know those kids aren't going to the doctor) and Lisa was able to salvage some of her oils. Really. She said that. There was a lot of smoke and water damage to the house and their belongings, and the family has been staying in a kind neighbor's house while they clean and rebuild.

A house fire is a terrible for anyone,  but I imagine this is a particularly difficult experience for Lisa, who appears to be obsessive about her house and her household. She's already mentioned cleaning and organizing their temporary home and enlisting "the boys" to help. FYI, applying and inhaling essential oils will help you not get sick from inhaling fumes from a fire.

I have to say Lisa looks 1000% better without access to her Magnolia Pearl-strewn wardrobe.

As much as I despise the Pennington parents, I wouldn’t wish a house fire on anyone, and I’m genuinely glad everyone escaped safely.

How awful. A house, or in my case apartment, fire is one of my biggest fears. It's hard in apartments because how can you trust ALL those other strangers to do things safely? (Not that all fires are caused by negligence, but many are.) And my building's fire alarm goes off on average about every month or two. I don't know why it happens, if it's just some horrible person pulling the alarm for kicks or a malfunction or what, but it's been like this for all the years I've lived here. The first several times, I grabbed my kid and pet(s) and ran down several flights of stairs to get outside, but now I don't anymore and neither does anyone else. If there's ever a real fire, all these false alarms could have horrendous consequences.

Between that, the show This is Us, and the book I'm currently reading and the last book I read both happening to involve house fires, I have had quite a few nightmares about it lately. Thankfully, my building is relatively new, and my brother-in-law who is a construction manager was able to tell me some comforting things about fire regulations for newer buildings (for example, he said it has to take a minimum of one hour for a fire originating in one unit to spread outside of that unit). But I still worry.

The Pennington parents are truly horrible people but I would never wish this on them, or especially on the kids still at home. I'm so glad nobody was hurt. But it still sounds unbelievably overwhelming to deal with.

So incredibly glad there were no injuries or worse.  House fires are terrifying, and especially so in an older house like theirs.  

Lisa's OCD will be both a blessing and a curse.  She'll go crazy from the chaos but will be better able to organize and mange all the myriad details that will need to be addressed going forward.  James (a CPA) is in the midst of tax season, but he has a separate little office, IIRC.  

The parts of the house undamaged by fire are unusable due to smoke damage.  This youtube from yesterday (Feb 20 or so)  is a tutorial on how damaging a fire can be. 

Just not in a mood to snark on Lisa today. 

I'm surprised I could actually relate to Lisa's post on the fire. I don't usually feel like I can relate to her at all. Just like her, I wouldn't care as much about losing my own stuff but I would be devastated if my kids lost all their stuff. I know the most important thing is that everyone got out. However I would be devastated because my children were devastated. 

I imagine if the oils caught fire that they could do a considerable amount of damage.  I had to watch a fire safety video at work in 1994, and it scared me so much that I sleep with a light on in the house now.  If the smoke alarm should go off, I want to be able to see well enough to evacuate.  The video said that on the average, once a smoke alarm sounds that there are about 3 minutes to get out safely.

They're saying it looks like an electrical fire from a power strip, which is extra terrifying because that can just happen. I was definitely looking at the power strips in my apartment last night. It sounds like it happened in the daytime when they were awake and it was not near the essential oil stash, so they had a little bit of luck there.

Lisa should really keep that gas mask on when she's in the house, because you could definitely see the color of her face change in the video Howl posted. Lord knows what kind of chemical toxins are in there from furniture, insulation, plastics...

Since it sounds like they're wanting to rebuild and not move, I wonder how long it will take to decontaminate and at least make the house inhabitable again (fix the roof). I guess we'll see.

I'm not really familiar with the Penningtons but I watched the video and my heart goes out to them. A house fire is one of my absolute biggest fears! I have a lot of pets and since moving to the mountains I have really come up with an evacuation plan for them. It would be terrifying to have a fire start when I wasn't home, though. And because we live in California we know fires are a possibility at any time so we are doing our best to have a plan.

I had no idea just how much damage a fire could do to the non burned parts of the house! Seeing her face turning red during the video was scary. I never thought about all the chemicals and everything that would be lingering in the air. I hope things go well with the restoration and rebuilding.

On 2/20/2018 at 1:50 PM, JesusPony said:

I have to say Lisa looks 1000% better without access to her Magnolia Pearl-strewn wardrobe.

Whenever I think of Lisa Pennington, I think of her expensive dirty-hobo-dresses from Magnolia Pearl.  When I saw that her house had caught fire, all I could think of was this scene from SNL's Real Housewives of Disney:  

prince_charming.gif.9babc54f8076474b414b2278ac9f1927.gif

On 2/21/2018 at 12:21 PM, PumaLover said:

I'm not really familiar with the Penningtons but I watched the video and my heart goes out to them. A house fire is one of my absolute biggest fears! I have a lot of pets and since moving to the mountains I have really come up with an evacuation plan for them. It would be terrifying to have a fire start when I wasn't home, though. And because we live in California we know fires are a possibility at any time so we are doing our best to have a plan.

I had no idea just how much damage a fire could do to the non burned parts of the house! Seeing her face turning red during the video was scary. I never thought about all the chemicals and everything that would be lingering in the air. I hope things go well with the restoration and rebuilding.

Lisa is pretty awful. She has an adult daughter who is in a relationship with a woman and she seems really smart, open minded, and down to earth. The rest of her kids seem to vary between gulping the kool aid all the way to Atheism. She has 9 kids total and the only kids left under age 18 are a few boys (2 or 3?). 

Lisa is pretty awful. She has an adult daughter who is in a relationship with a woman and she seems really smart, open minded, and down to earth. The rest of her kids seem to vary between gulping the kool aid all the way to Atheism. She has 9 kids total and the only kids left under age 18 are a few boys (2 or 3?). 

Ok-looks like a new rabbit hole I need to fall down!! :)

16 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

Skip the part where she spanks one of her youngest sons over and over again because he was a toddler who refused to wake up from his nap Happy and greet her accordingly.

For some background on the Penningtons, here's a YouTube video from Hope Pennington from just a week ago where she summarizes the saga from her perspective. She says she's living with an aunt and has had her IDs for a few months now. I'm glad that she's doing well: 

3 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Also, the family made national news a while back after their daughter Alecia escaped the house only to find that her parents had never obtained ANY form of identity documentation for her-- no birth certificate, no social, nothing. After her story went viral, the state of Texas had to change its laws so that the children of anti-government loons could have a shot at a functional life. That's how crazy these folks are.

Oh, and through the whole thing Lisa just vague-blogged about persecution and how her daughter leaving home ruined HER life.

House fires are terrible, and I'm glad the family is all physically okay. 

@PumaLover, this is quite the rabbit hole. Alert the ferrets before you depart. :ferret::ferret:

I just watched Hope's video -- it's so sweet!  I'm very happy for her. 

One thing where I do give Lisa credit.    She and James had it all planned out.  The daughters were going to be 100% skirt-wearing SAHDs until marriage, and then they were going to pump out a passel of kids.   Faith's abrupt departure rocked her world.   Then, time passes and we discover that the other girls are no longer living at home.   Apparently Faith's relationship with her mom was still rocky, but there is a relationship.  Then Hope comes out  as bisexual atheist, and somehow she has worked that out with her parents, who set her up with a cozy little space in a shed as a landing spot for a time.  This means that Lisa (and likely James) have decided that having a continuing relationship with their children and continuing to love them and to stay in dialog is more important than being fanatically religious and shunning the kids who don't toe the line.  This isn't a small thing.  There are tons of children of fundamentalists who have been shown the door for not toeing the line, sent out in the world with no money, no education and no skills (except homemaking and being sister moms).  

I'm so glad that Hope is now staying with an aunt and I'd love to know where she lives, which side of the family she's from and if she's a fundamentalist, social conservative, liberal or whatever! 

Go, Hope!  And best wishes for the success of your book! 

3 hours ago, JesusPony said:

For some background on the Penningtons, here's a YouTube video from Hope Pennington from just a week ago where she summarizes the saga from her perspective. She says she's living with an aunt and has had her IDs for a few months now. I'm glad that she's doing well: 

I’ve followed Hope mostly since she got her YouTube and then started blogging and moved out and her life really started changing. I’m so happy for her and Alecia! 

I'm pretty sure Hope is an atheist. Or I might be mixing her up with Faith. Hope has a FB page and she updates it often. Im pretty sure none of Lisa's extended family is super fundie so the aunt she's living with is most likely not fundie.

Archived