IGNORED

Fundies and special-needs kids

AnnoDomini

One of the moms in the play group was a mandatory reporter and she said not to call. Apparently a pre-stated number of audible blows to the covered buttocks with an implement does not qualify as a reportable incident.

We were all staring at her with frozen, stunned expressions when she came back in, she rocked back on her heels a bit when she saw us looking at her, she never did that again where we could see or hear, and she never even talked about it to the kids either, even in code. (You know, "Do what I say or you know what will happen," etc.) So hopefully she learned something from finding out that she had been punishing her child for being sick.

Just because someone is a mandatory reporter doesn't mean necessarily mean they know what the hell they're talking about. I'm a mandatory reporter and in my state, if there is a mark (welt or bruise) left by a beating, then it's abuse - no matter if it was done over clothing or pre-stated or whatever. If you ever witness or overhear something that you perceive as a threat to the child's safety, then you call Children Protective Services. It can be done anonymously and if there's nothing abusive or wrong going on, then nothing will happen. But it's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry, otherwise cases like Lydia Schatz and Hana Williams occur.

None of that is said to make you feel bad for not calling or anything, I just feel very strongly in letting everyone know that if they witness a child being beaten (especially in that manner) then they could very well be the phone call that prevents that child from a lifetime of unhappiness, or worse, a tragically shortened life.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If somebody talks trash about you behind your back without you being aware that they were offended, guess who the bad guy is? Not you. They should have said something. Just because somebody's intention is good doesn't mean I won't say, "Hey, just so you know, that term? It's really offensive these days," if need be. Usually they apologize like crazy at that point until I assure them that really it's okay, I'm not mad, but they should know for future reference. A bit of ignorance is dispelled and all is well.

I am trying so hard to think of anything resembling on-topic and mostly failing, except that I am so so so glad I never have been and never will be a fundie. I expect as my condition is physical and visible I'd get the "Oh-So-Special one who is some sort of message from God" treatment. Or in some circles, the ugly one which somebody in all seriousness told me online once -- that my condition was a punishment for my parent's sins. Charming, huh?

Charming indeed. Special needs are either a 'punishment' or make a person *extra* special, more special than average-needs people? That's BS, in my opinion, and kind of devaluing the other kids. My sister is no more and no less 'special' or 'blessing' than any of my other siblings. She does bring some different specialness, but that doesn't make it 'more', you know?

Forgive me if I'm not being clear, or appear to devalue those about whom I speak.

I wonder how Michelle and Boob would handle it if Josie does end up having a learning disability or other health issues. Michelle is so used to handing her babies off to their sister moms that she may see Josie as a burden (don't know this for sure). I hope she doesn't secretly resent Josie for "cramping her style"

I could see Michelle using Josie's issues as a "look at me I've overcome so much. I have a disabled child!" To me, she gives off the martyr vibe and the narcissistic signs. She may feel that she should not have to take care of Josie....that's she's far to special to have to do the dirty work. This is what I have to say to Princess Chelle :obscene-birdiered:

I'm worried about my sister. She's ridiculously happy as she is, but she should be able to walk by now, and use the potty by herself. I'm positive she has it in her. She just hasn't had the therapy, training, what you will that she needs in order to do it.

I talked to my mother about it, which is always a delicate undertaking--she's depressive (even on meds) and must be treated with care regarding parental matters and her 'performance' as a parent. Anyway, she said she didn't know what to do, what the solution was. I asked if she had talked to my father about it, and she said no. She started crying and saying again she just didn't know what to do. I hugged her and carefully said that she could talk to a doctor about it, and we didn't have to do it alone. She looked at me like she never, in my sister's 7 or so years since her PT/OT stopped, thought of going to a doctor for help with her disabled daughter.

We don't have religious problems with modern medicine, but my family generally vaguely frowns on and avoids as much as possible the expensive, (generally) symptom-based medicine of today*, staying with homeopathic treatments (treating the cause of the problem, not just suppressing the symptoms) for as much as possible. We even had a homeopathic remedy for my depression for a while. It worked too, until it stopped working.

*Absolutely no disrespect intended to the hard-working medical professionals who have dedicated their lives to helping others, who help using the best objective guide we can have--known science.

Archived