IGNORED

Bates 23: Waiting on the Next Wedding

Coconut Flan

17 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I wonder if he was named after the somewhat obscure confederate officer who was from Tennessee. I originally thought maybe it was after the famous preacher, but that is Whitefield, not Whitfield.  

The only person I could think of was Ed Whitfield, a Republican elected to the House of Representatives from Kentucky in '94. (Trace was born in '97.)  Seems like a stretch though. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say if you are going to go weird, go weird on the middle name. Actually go as weird as you want! For people hardly ever hear their middle name used by others. 

I'm a bit confused how Tori has a Bachelor of Science in Education....  I've never heard of that before.  

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I say if you are going to go weird, go weird on the middle name. Actually go as weird as you want! For people hardly ever hear their middle name used by others. 

Unless you're in trouble. And Spurgeon would probably agree about going weird on the middle name.

9 minutes ago, JessaBlessa said:

Unless you're in trouble. And Spurgeon would probably agree about going weird on the middle name.

I’ve said it before on FJ.... I wouldn’t have even blinked at the name Elliott Spurgeon Seewald. Henry got lucky. Hopefully Jessa learned her lesson.  

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve said it before on FJ.... I wouldn’t have even blinked at the name Elliott Spurgeon Seewald. Henry got lucky. Hopefully Jessa learned her lesson.  

Hopefully Ben learned his lesson, since he was probably the one who chose Spurgeon.

Just now, singsingsing said:

Hopefully Ben learned his lesson, since he was probably the one who chose Spurgeon.

I agree it was Ben. But honestly I think Ben would do it again. That’s why I’m hoping from now on Jessa picks the first name and not Ben. If they alternate then every odd numbered child is fucked. And every even numbered child gets an ordinary name. 

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree it was Ben. But honestly I think Ben would do it again. That’s why I’m hoping from now on Jessa picks the first name and not Ben. If they alternate then every odd numbered child is fucked. And every even numbered child gets an ordinary name. 

I'm just imagining, like... "These are our children! Spurgeon, Henry, Tozer, Andrew, Perseverance, Sarah, Idelette, Brian..." 

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I'm just imagining, like... "These are our children! Spurgeon, Henry, Tozer, Andrew, Perseverance, Sarah, Idelette, Brian..." 

Don’t forget little Tenboom Charlotte!

The Bowers family named their youngest daughter Crosby most likely after Fanny Crosby. I could see Ben wanting to name a girl Crosby.

The annoying part is they could call Spurgeon Elliot. Plenty of people go by their middle name. Yet they go with "Spurgie" 

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Don’t forget little Tenboom Charlotte!

The Bowers family named their youngest daughter Crosby most likely after Fanny Crosby. I could see Ben wanting to name a girl Crosby.

BRB, adding Crosby to my list of name predictions for future Seewald offspring. (I've got Piper, Corrie, Idelette and Verity for girls, and Lincoln, Luther, Knox, Theodore and Oliver for boys. I'm guessing Tozer shows up as a middle name, and maybe Calvin too. But they haven't had any girls yet, so it's hard to predict if they'll try to keep up the same theme or not bother.)

On 7.5.2018 at 1:00 PM, miss_batson said:

Croatia, Europe :my_biggrin:

Haha, me too (originally), but never lived there!

5 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Not a fan but Trace got off easier then Warden Justice and Isaiah Courage

I swear, with a name like Warden Justice, that boy way basically given a career path as a name...

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The annoying part is they could call Spurgeon Elliot. Plenty of people go by their middle name. Yet they go with "Spurgie" 

And Elliot is such a cute name too! Nathan Bates goes by his middle name, i guess he doesnt like Kenneth. Warden Justice doesnt have much of an option though.

1 hour ago, llucie said:

And Elliot is such a cute name too! Nathan Bates goes by his middle name, i guess he doesnt like Kenneth. Warden Justice doesnt have much of an option though.

Lawson also goes by his middle name, maybe because William is also Gil's first name? Although Gil doesn't use William either, the nickname Gil comes from his middle name Gilvin.

William Gilvin? That... does not roll off the tongue very easily.

I am also mentally high-fiving Whitney SO HARD right now. Clown College has a very strict dress code, and her dress absolutely does not meet it. Good for her for wearing whatever the fuck she likes!

41 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Lawson also goes by his middle name, maybe because William is also Gil's first name? Although Gil doesn't use William either, the nickname Gil comes from his middle name Gilvin.

Lawson and Nathan are middle-namers because they are named after Gil and Kelly's fathers, respectively.  I remember Kelly also said that their first names are frequently used as nicknames around the house, like Willy and Kenny.  

7 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

I'm a bit confused how Tori has a Bachelor of Science in Education....  I've never heard of that before.  

What frustrates me is Crown does not list which type of degree is awarded just that the coursework is for elementary education.

Still, B.S in ed is a degree. But I thought it was for those focused on teaching sciences or STEMish courses.

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I will never be able to see that name and not think of Crosby, Stills & Nash (+Young)

2 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

1 hour ago, Oh_Dear! said:

Lawson and Nathan are middle-namers because they are named after Gil and Kelly's fathers, respectively.  I remember Kelly also said that their first names are frequently used as nicknames around the house, like Willy and Kenny.  

Yes Gil, Nathan, and Lawson all go by middle names. Per the Bates old family website, "Gilvin" is a 5-generation name (including Gil, Zach, and Bradley) and we know "Papa Bill" is the William that Lawson is named for. Not sure if Papa Bill is "William Gilvin Sr" and Gil is the Jr, or if he's William-something-else and Gil got Gilvin from another relative. 

I kind of think William Nathan and Kenneth Lawson make better combinations than William Lawson and Kenneth Nathan, lol. (Could you imagine Nathan with the name Lawson & vice versa? :my_biggrin::my_biggrin:). But its their family and their names and middle names are always a hoot, anyways. 

These fundies and their generational names, man. I wonder if the 2 boy grandbates will continue the tradition when they're grown. Idk how many other nicknames they could come up with for "Charles Stephen Paine" the fifth, though! haha.

3 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Idk how many other nicknames they could come up with for "Charles Stephen Paine" the fifth, though! haha.

Usually they can recycle a nick name because the Charles I and II are already dead. So if one of them went by Charlie or Chuck, that could be used again for a newborn. 

Everyone may have seen this video of Callie on YouTube when she was 5. I saw it a few years ago and ran across it earlier today. Lawson and Katie are quizzing her on American history. I’m actually impressed, they ask pretty good questions and Callie does a good job answering. I hope she stays this enthusiastic about school.  I just thought it was cute.

Callie on YouTube

9 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

What frustrates me is Crown does not list which type of degree is awarded just that the coursework is for elementary education.

Still, B.S in ed is a degree. But I thought it was for those focused on teaching sciences or STEMish courses.

My degree is B.S in Ed from an accredited secular school...

10 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

When I earned my B.S. in Ed. in the 90's, there was more intensive subject study in a BS vs a BA degree. BA had more general classes to take, especially in the languages and humanities, and BS degrees just had to complete the university requirements (science, English, social science, from what I remember), then they had more hours of requirements in their major than a BA did. I can't remember how much math an Elementary Ed major had to take, but I know they had to take math for elementary teachers, which was more explaining how to teach and how to come up with the correct answer than calculating for the correct answer.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived