IGNORED

Bates 23: Waiting on the Next Wedding

Coconut Flan

57 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

My degree is B.S in Ed from an accredited secular school...

Yeah, regardless of the school every Education Bachelor’s program I’ve seen has been for a BS. It’s what my sister and BIL would have earned had they gone for an Education program on the Bachelor’s level - they both ended up with BAs in English because they didn’t decide on being teachers until later in college though. After graduating they both immediately enrolled in Master’s of Science in Secondary Education programs and they’re both now teaching Middle School Language Arts now. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My English degree is a bachelor of science. It makes no sense but I think unless you’re studying art/music/theatre/foreign language, you get a B.S. 

Wow, I'm incredibly confused right now. I always thought American university degrees more or less corresponded to Canadian university degrees, but I've never heard of anyone getting a B.S. in Education, let alone English! An English degree (or pretty much any humanities/social science degree) would be a B.A. A degree in Education would be a B.Ed. I wonder why it's so different?

There are lots of variations in Bachelor's degrees in the US, and you can get either a BA or a BS in many - my school offered both degrees a LOT such as biology, chemistry, anthropology, math, astrophysics, nutrition.....the main difference is which specific courses are required for the Gen Ed portions, i think. The only "different" degrees were things like BBA for anything business related, BSEd for education-specific degrees (though many majors had an "education track" where you could prepare to get a teaching certificate after graduation), BME for music education, BSW for social work, etc. 

I went to a liberal arts college that only offered BAs and BMs (lol...for music majors) so I have a BA in biology. I didn't realize that was weird until I went to grad school and a fellow new grad student (who was also misinformed) said "who would ever get a BA in science??" disdainfully. She didn't realize I had one! But now we are friends and both more aware.

*Yes! Partaking of Hell's Cocktail. I hope it's fruity and delicious.

Thanks for everyone who's chimed in!  I did a quick google search, and what I found was mostly a combined B.Sc. and B. Ed. degree, at least in Canada.  It sounded like it required taking a lot of pure science and math courses, which I don't think Crown could support.  Also, I'm super confused how her specialty was in Elementary Literature Skills, but she got a B. Sc., because that seems to be completely opposite.

I'm sad to say that I predict we will have a "Katie Bates has a boyfriend" thread in this forum by the end of 2018.

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I'm sad to say that I predict we will have a "Katie Bates has a boyfriend" thread in this forum by the end of 2018.

Katie has come out of her shell. She used to be pretty quiet but I think those days are over. Now I don’t think she’s ever going to be as outgoing as Carlin, but I think she will be more like Michael. Who can be a little quiet but still seems pretty social. 

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Katie has come out of her shell. She used to be pretty quiet but I think those days are over. Now I don’t think she’s ever going to be as outgoing as Carlin, but I think she will be more like Michael. Who can be a little quiet but still seems pretty social. 

Michael and Katie can be similar in some ways, but Michael appears to be a bit awkward in public, while Katie seems self-assured. Her IG pictures show a girl conscious of her beauty and with personality. She was described as a reader in the old bates blog, which was an exception in that family.  If Katie focuses in her degree instead of focusing in her wedding, maybe there's hope for her. At least, she's not a sistermom, so she's more free than her elder sisters. And with the TV money and far less kids at home, she will probably have less pressure to leave.

its big announcement eve, and I want to state my predictions hahah

1. Tori is pregnant

2. CarVan are engaged

3. Something stupid like their graduation.......

Guess I'll throw my guess in as well for the announcement.  I still think Tori's pregnant is my top guess.  Other than that I think it'd be Josie/Kelton engagement, Nathan's in a courtship, or Carlin/Evan engagement.  

I’m from Colombia and we don’t have the bachelors in science or in arts stuff. What does that mean and what is it for? I don’t get it. 

I study economics and when I graduate by diploma will say I now have the title of economist and that’s it. 

3 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I’m from Colombia and we don’t have the bachelors in science or in arts stuff. What does that mean and what is it for? I don’t get it. 

I study economics and when I graduate by diploma will say I now have the title of economist and that’s it. 

There are different degree levels in the states - bachelor's (baccalaureate degree/basic 4y university education), masters (1-2y graduate school), doctorate (4-5y graduate school/law school/medical school/etc). Each of those levels has different types based on what you study.

They are educational degrees, not professional titles. For example, you can have a bachelor's degree in accounting but need to pass professional certifications to call yourself a certified accountant. Many nurses have passed taken courses and passed the professional certification to be employed, but do not hold bachelor's degree in nursing. lots of people who have a bachelor's degree in chemistry don't work as chemists, they may be anything from science teachers to pharmaceutical reps to pursuing further education/research. 

Full list of possibilities:

Tori is pregnant (2)

Michaela is pregnant (6)

Whitney is pregnant (1)

Lawson is courting (7)

Nathan is courting (4)

Trace is courting (8)

Carlin and Evan are engaged (3)

Josie and Kelton are engaged. (5)

Erin and Alyssa are too early for another pregnancy. Katie and anyone after is still too you for a relationship (18 is often considered the cut-off). I don't know which it will be, but anything other than the ones I mentioned would be boring. If I had to put these in order in the way I want them to happen, Whitney would be at the bottom simply because she already has 2 kids, one of each, and a third is just meh. I wouldn't put too much thought into the Mother's Day thing.

Official guess: Tori is pregnant (hey, at least she already graduated)

PS number next to each one is rank from most likely to least likely

My guess is also Tori's pregnant or Carlin's engaged. But I still really hope its Michael who's pregnant. 

50 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

There are different degree levels in the states - bachelor's (baccalaureate degree/basic 4y university education), masters (1-2y graduate school), doctorate (4-5y graduate school/law school/medical school/etc). Each of those levels has different types based on what you study.

They are educational degrees, not professional titles. For example, you can have a bachelor's degree in accounting but need to pass professional certifications to call yourself a certified accountant. Many nurses have passed taken courses and passed the professional certification to be employed, but do not hold bachelor's degree in nursing. lots of people who have a bachelor's degree in chemistry don't work as chemists, they may be anything from science teachers to pharmaceutical reps to pursuing further education/research. 

I'm pretty sure law school and medical school aren't included in a doctoral program.  I think they fall into their own category of professional school, at least in Canada.  For example, you can be a lawyer and not have a masters or doctorate in law.

In the "special announcement" video, the narrator specifically says the announcement is about one of the people shown in the video. It's definitely possible the statement wasn't meant to be taken literally, but if it was, my money is absolutely on Tori being pregnant, followed by Nathan courting. It could also be Whitney is pregnant but I wouldn't bet on it. Josie, Carlin, and Michael are not pictured.

I think now that the house is mostly finished, Whitney and Zach are probably trying for another. So she could be pregnant or stork. I was wondering if Whit and Tori might be pregnant together. 

1 hour ago, Natalie22 said:

I'm pretty sure law school and medical school aren't included in a doctoral program.  I think they fall into their own category of professional school, at least in Canada.  For example, you can be a lawyer and not have a masters or doctorate in law.

eh, M.D./D.O and J.D. are doctorate-level degrees (as is a pharmacist's PharmD/a vet's DVM/a pastor's D.Div)......if not "doctoral programs" like a Ph.D. in history or physics or whatnot. Just like there's a bunch of baccalaureate-level degree types and master's-level degree types. I was just describing the general three-tier scheme of education. At least in the States. 

If the announcement-for-the-announcement hadn't narrowed down who was involved, I would have put an outside bet on something related to Michael and adoption. Regardless, my guess is that Tori is pregnant.

My guesses, from most likely to least likely:

1. Tori is pregnant.

2. Josie is engaged.

3. Carlin is engaged.

4. Whit is pregnant.

5. One of the elder boys is courting.

6. Lawson is courting the weird as fuck photo/painting thing of himself riding his horse. 

7. Katie is courting a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.

8. Nathan is pursuing a cosmetology degree and plans to convince women everywhere that long and loose curls is the only proper hairstyle.

9. Zach is running for elected office again.

10. Kelly is pregnant with triplets. Gil is not the father, but he plans to raise them as his own because Jesus.

11. Erin and Alyssa both secretly had twins with their last pregnancies and they’re just announcing it now because ratings.

I’m not going to put Michael being pregnant on the list because she’s made it clear they’re having trouble conceiving and I just don’t feel right ranking that on a list full of joke predictions. I hope she and Brandon are living a happy life together though. 

3 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Bachelor's is "Licenciatura". My degree is "Licenciatura en ciencias de la educación", which is the same as Bachelor's of Science in Education. :)

Okay, here me out. Is it possible that some of us are reading too much into the announcement for the announcement video? It's entirely possible that they could have included the clips to be able to include as much as the family as possible. I think the whole point of the video is so we would read too much into it, creating a lot of speculation, which translates into more interest in the show.

It looks like Kelly’s mom fell while visiting over the weekend and broke some vertebrae. They didn’t say how she fell or where she was but it seems she was in town for graduation. That poor woman. She’s going to have a decent amount of recovery time. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived