IGNORED

Turpins 3: 2 Monsters, 13 Victims (WARNING abuse and torture)

laPapessaGiovanna

4 hours ago, Willie T said:

I was looking for a specifically Christian-oriented site when my search directed me here by mistake.

Can I ask what you Googled to end up here while searching for some specific sort of Christian forum? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious to find out what search terms led you to us. 

I still thought I could enjoy some conversation here anyway, but I an seeing that might not be possible.

It depends on what you are looking for in conversation. Do you only want people who agree with you and refuse to challenge you? If so, this isn't the place for you. Are you up to listening to the opinions of others, seeing other view points, using critical thinking skills and and defending your claims? Are you horrified at babies being put in literal cages? Does the idea that parents don't educate their children because of their religious beliefs disturb you? Do you think Plexus is a scam? Do you get angry reading about a missionary who spends close to half a million dollars on himself while saying he can't help the hungry people around him?  Well then this is the place for you. Just don't bring up peanut butter. No one wants to argue about peanut butter anymore. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Willie T said:

I kind of look at the massive amount of time she spends far away from her home, and I also know dozens of people who have more than she does, so if her tapes and books are making most of that for her.... what's the problem?  Look at the tons of money  we all shovel into Washington to enable those cush lifestyles where they really only work a few months out of each year.  Is $ supposed to be our focus?  The Bible is full of people who were, relatively, ten times as rich.... and we honor them.

I don't know.  I am the child of medical missionaries who did not make major bank off their services to others.  And I fail to see what politicians have to do with this.

Preachers should lead by example rather than fill their coffers.  While neglecting the needs of others.

Want to get Biblical?

Matthew 19:24 and Mark: 10.25.  Rich men and the eyes of needles.

Also Luke 6: 20-26

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied.

Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.

Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.

Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry.

Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.

Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.

Luke 1: 52-53

God has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty.

James 1: 9-11

Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation, and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away. For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits.

Matthew 6: 19-21

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Luke 6: 20-26

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied.

Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.

Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.

Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry.

Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.

Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.

Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation, and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away. For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits.

And I left out all of Paul's pontifications.  I detest Paul.

And I think our new little friend has left us.  Because he is way too busy to cope with intelligent arguments.

3 hours ago, Willie T said:

Well, I DID read "hate, hate, hate" at the very beginning, so it kind of made it difficult to see much of anything else in the rest of the post.  Personally, yes, I have asked why a God would answer millions of others (you called it "protect them", even though our vision of the ratio seems to be opposite, and let me live the life I have) but, I have come to realize that if I am going to believe in a book called The Bible, I have to believe in all of it..... and most of the Apostles got the crap beat out of them, time and again.... and they were just about all, murdered... as was Jesus.  I don't find a disproportionate number of accounts of "protecting" that would offset all the Hell most followers went through.

Just saying that I don't expect the same protection that you might.

To me it was pretty clear that what she hated was the way many people present being saved by “turning to the lord” as proof that they (these people) are special and have a special message.  That is a form of self-deception and/or hypocrisy that generally gets called out around here.  

The suggestion that some people have an “inside track” with God is offensive.  In Biblical terms, it is what Jesus condemned in the Pharisees.  Surface “humility” aside, too often when a person claims that God saw him/her through a crisis that overcame other people it sounds like an indirect boast. And it seems to imply that those who didn’t get saved were not as “good” or worthy.  

RETURNING TO ELIZABETH FLORES and her book, she has written other books about her faith, suffering and so forth, so she might have gotten another book accepted. Who knows?

The upcoming book, however, is clearly taking advantage of her sister’s sudden notoriety.  It is going to be pandering to sensationalist curiousity. .  And I don’t trust that all of her “memories” will be accurate.  She seems to be remembering new things every day.

If she has found comfort for a difficult life in Jesus, that is great. She seems to enjoy the limelight too much, however.  The only good thing is she has no interest in adopting the Turpin children. 

4 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

If she has found comfort for a difficult life in Jesus, that is great. She seems to enjoy the limelight too much, however.  The only good thing is she has no interest in adopting the Turpin children. 

Preach it, sister.

I think the Turpin adults and children will do very much better without her.

I have come to realize that if I am going to believe in a book called The Bible, I have to believe in all of it.

And therein lies a problem for me as a Christ follower. I do not believe in bible inerrancy, I actually think that believing all of the bible can lead to some very un-Christlike actions. Folks can treat the bible like an idol, and forget that the Holy Spirit also informs a believer regarding truth. And the bible is actually a library made up of many books written by many different people.

I brushed off Joyce Meyer, she is on tv every night if anyone wants to check it out. Nobody needs to get rich preaching the gospel. I have nothing against encouraging the body, but there's got to be more than just positive psychology to a Christian message. I have yet to find anything noble in my childhood sexual abuse, and I'm 62. I was unfortunate that my mother married an abusive asshole. It It bothers me that we have similar tastes in clothes, LOL.

Oh, welcome to FJ! Christians do cuss here, by the way.

Like Joyce Meyers, I had a hellish childhood. I've also happened to work with kiddos who have suffered abuse and neglect. It may make others feel better to think that the abuse and neglect children suffer is somehow forging them into "better" people, but I just don't see it. I understand taking comfort in a deity or believing that suffering has a greater meaning, but the vast majority of those kiddos go on to live an adult life filled with mental illness, trauma, and various kinds of horrors that all trace back to the horrible things they suffered through as children. There's nothing noble about it, it's fucking awful--and that awfulness isn't lessened by believing its for a noble, higher purpose. 

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Can I ask what you Googled to end up here while searching for some specific sort of Christian forum? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious to find out what search terms led you to us. 

It depends on what you are looking for in conversation. Do you only want people who agree with you and refuse to challenge you? If so, this isn't the place for you. Are you up to listening to the opinions of others, seeing other view points, using critical thinking skills and and defending your claims? Are you horrified at babies being put in literal cages? Does the idea that parents don't educate their children because of their religious beliefs disturb you? Do you think Plexus is a scam? Do you get angry reading about a missionary who spends close to half a million dollars on himself while saying he can't help the hungry people around him?  Well then this is the place for you. Just don't bring up peanut butter. No one wants to argue about peanut butter anymore. 

No, actually I was looking for "Christion Reconstructionism" (sometimes called "Dominionism" or "Theomomy"), a denominational position I know little about, but I like some of the things they seem to stand for..  But, as with most anything you try to look up, all I could find were detractors who criticize them and hunt for reasons to tear them down.  I was looking for an honest advocate of their beliefs who might be willing to talk about what they actually do believe in.

I used to work in the field of Sex Offending and Child Molesters, so, "No" the things you mentioned don't throw me for a loop.... It is just people who complain about those things, yet never really get in there and get their hands dirty trying to do anything about those things that piss me off.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I don't know.  I am the child of medical missionaries who did not make major bank off their services to others.  And I fail to see what politicians have to do with this.

Preachers should lead by example rather than fill their coffers.  While neglecting the needs of others.

Want to get Biblical?

Matthew 19:24 and Mark: 10.25.  Rich men and the eyes of needles.

Also Luke 6: 20-26

Luke 1: 52-53

Matthew 6: 19-21

Luke 6: 20-26

And I left out all of Paul's pontifications.  I detest Paul.

And I think our new little friend has left us.  Because he is way too busy to cope with intelligent arguments.

No, I had to spend three hours with a work project at our house, and then I had a finance class waiting for me at the church.  I just got home about 9:40.

I'm curious.  Just off hand, what opinion do you Christians hold of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

22 minutes ago, Willie T said:

the things you mentioned don't throw me for a loop....

I didn't ask if they threw you for a loop. I said that if those are things you don't like, then this is a place you might fit in. We have people from all walks of life here who do all sorts of things in real life to combat the horror that is going on in the world. Sadly, fundamental Christianity has gotten such a hold on our country that these parents can get away with putting babies in cages, posting about how they spend all day spanking their children, make their children literally sing for their supper, and fight to remove laws that would prevent parents using homeschooling as a way to not educate their children. CPS can't do anything about Jill Rod. her baby cages and how she makes her children work long hours while not educating them. 

Voting to get politicians who support the idea that parents own their children is one big thing everyone can do. 

22 minutes ago, Willie T said:

But, as with most anything you try to look up, all I could find were detractors who criticize them and hunt for reasons to tear them down.  I was looking for an honest advocate of their beliefs who might be willing to talk about what they actually do believe in.

Have you stopped to consider that maybe the detractors have a point? Or that an advocate wouldn't be providing you with the full story? 

What are your thoughts on the Duggar and Bates families? 

23 minutes ago, Willie T said:

No, actually I was looking for "Christion Reconstructionism" (sometimes called "Dominionism" or "Theomomy"), a denominational position I know little about, but I like some of the things they seem to stand for..  But, as with most anything you try to look up, all I could find were detractors who criticize them and hunt for reasons to tear them down.  I was looking for an honest advocate of their beliefs who might be willing to talk about what they actually do believe in.

In a nutshell Dominionists want to turn the US into a theocracy...if you like what they stand for, you're out of your fool head and don't know jack about biblical prophesy. 

3 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

In a nutshell Dominionists want to turn the US into a theocracy...if you like what they stand for, you're out of your fool head and don't know jack about biblical prophesy. 

Now, see?  This is the kind of close-mindedness I can get from any old site.  I want to actually talk with some of them.

1 minute ago, Willie T said:

Now, see?  This is the kind of close-mindedness I can get from any old site.  I want to actually talk with some of them.

You won't find them here...and by the way, I'm one of the more conservative Christians here. 

Try this for starters...if you're a reasonably rational person, this should scare you out of your mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_theology

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Oh, welcome to FJ! Christians do cuss here, by the way.

So do the pagans. :my_angel: :kitty-shifty:

So the idea that Mosaic Law or the civil Law that God gave Israel in the OT should be the law of the land everywhere is theonomy right?

Yeah I would like to talk to them to, I'm sure we all would. What aspects of this (or these things, Reconstructionism, dominionism, theonomy) do you find appealing @Willie T ?

2 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

You won't find them here...and by the way, I'm one of the more conservative Christians here. 

Try this for starters...if you're a reasonably rational person, this should scare you out of your mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_theology

Wikipedia...... Yeah, now THERE's definitely a site I would go to for the straight truth about everything.

23 minutes ago, Willie T said:

I'm curious.  Just off hand, what opinion do you Christians hold of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

How in the WORLD is this relevant? O.O

Wikipedia...... Yeah, now THERE's definitely a site I would go to for the straight truth about everything.

You're a rude little bitch, are't you. Now, Dominionism is what your friend Ted Cruz believes in...and he has plenty of buddies who agree...

And regarding the Wikipedia article, it's pretty balanced...but you are too fucking arrogant to go read it and draw your own goddamn conclusions...fuck you. 

2 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

So the idea the Mosaic Law or the civil Law the God gave Israel in the OT should be the law of the land everywhere is theonomy right?

Yeah I would like to talk to them to, I'm sure we all would. What aspects of this (or these things, Reconstructionism, dominionism, theonomy) do you find appealing @Willie T ?

Well, let's see.......  That law says not to cheat people with dishonest scales.  It says to treat strangers well.   And a host of other things.  I kind of find those things appealing.

Just now, Willie T said:

Well, let's see.......  That law says not to cheat people with dishonest scales.  It says to treat strangers well.   And a host of other things.  I kind of find those things appealing.

That's all currently incorporated into civil law...or did you fail Civics? 

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

How in the WORLD is this relevant? O.O

Answer, and it will become evident. 

Just now, feministxtian said:

That's all currently incorporated into civil law...or did you fail Civics? 

Is it?  Then why are the people who make those civil laws consistently ignoring them?

Why don't you go play on the Christian boards instead of here...there's plenty of them 

9 minutes ago, Willie T said:

No, I had to spend three hours with a work project at our house, and then I had a finance class waiting for me at the church.  I just got home about 9:40.

What do you mean by “you Christians”?  Are you asking @Palimpsest for herself or for others here who identify as Christian?  There are so many different views about everything!

Speaking only for myself (and not suggesting myself in any way as representative), I read the Bible as a document written by many people over a long period of time to represent a range of messages about humankind’s relationship with God and one another.  

Abraham represents the beginnings of monotheism.  He may have existed historically as an individual or he may be a conflation of more than one person. (This happens with legends.). Isaac is less a personality and voice than he is a link between two stages in the formation of the identity of the Jewish people.  Jacob is a fascinating character. He (and his sons!) have such wonderful lessons about what humans do, and what they should and shouldn’t do.  That all these patriarchs were fallible says to me that God’s message is not just for the holy and perfect.  But it also says that the early monotheistic Jews had a very complex understanding of how faith plays in daily life.

This may sound like a “secular” reading, but faith comes in many different forms.  

5 minutes ago, Willie T said:

That's called being a decent human being. You shouldn't need biblical law to not be a jerk. 

4 minutes ago, Willie T said:

How very helpful. Here's my answer. They are Biblical figures, and two of them were kind of assholes. See also: Abraham being willing to kill his son because the voices in his head said so, and Isaac treating the child that wasn't his favourite like crap. 

2 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Is it?  Then why are the people who make those civil laws consistently ignoring them?

Goddamn bitch...go do some fucking homework and quit being an arrogant little troll...

Begone! 

And don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord hit ya...

Well, it is getting evident your Admins like to play the same games, combining my posts so they don't answer specific questions.

God help your children if this is what they are learning at the Dining Room Table.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived