IGNORED

Turpins 3: 2 Monsters, 13 Victims (WARNING abuse and torture)

laPapessaGiovanna

Like @Jellybean, I am a bit of a frequent flyer and also have had periods where I was in a facility for several months at a time.   There have been nurses that I have really clicked with and just enjoyed them coming to chat in their few free moments during their shift.

Since I tend to be awake in the wee hours I would have night nurses/aides and the early morning ones come chat a bit since those shifts are a bit slow at times.

I have had a couple nurses and one aide that I kept in contact with after I was discharged.  If I discharged around the holidays, I would get them christmas gifts and I had several nurses and PTs that I gave gifts to when I was discharged because they were very good to me. We also usually brought cookies and fruit to put at the nurses station for everyone when I was discharged.    Sometimes, my husband would bring in treats for the nurses station during my stay as well.  Every place I have been wants to clone him ;)

I kept in limited touch with a nurse and an aide from the first rehab hospital I was in for about 3 years.  That facility has a yearly picnic for all previous patients (no matter how long ago you were a patient) and we did that for about 4-5 years. It was nice to see and catch up with other patients you had been in the facility with as well as the staff.

I don't currently have contact with any of my previous caregivers, but I was elated to find my favorite nurse from a facility I was in before was now employed at the last facility I was in.  I wasn't on her patient list, but she came by and chatted a few times.  I remembered about her daughter and dog and she remembered my dogs (one of whom visited me in both facilities).  Through her, I was also able to catch up on all the scuttlebutt from the other facility and find out how other people I really liked from that facility were doing ;)

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oxygen is announcing a special about the Turpins.  I don’t think it will have anything new, but here is the information.   The Turpin 13: Family Secrets Exposed

Due to air on April 28, it sounds like a compilation of everything that has already been reported, with possibly some minor additional background information.  It is not going to tell us anything about how the 13 survivors (the “kids”) are doing. 

The  Turpin parents go to court again om May 4, but that sounds like a routine thing to set another court date.

Turpin Family Update at Crimeola has a general, very basic, update on the case.

The 13 Turpin children, who range from ages two to 29, are currently living in three separate homes in Riverside County. The six minors had to be split up due to the amount of care they will need. Currently, the two youngest children are in foster care, while the other four are living in another residence.

According to the above (From Crimeola) it sounds as if the two youngest are in foster care with a family set-up, and the other minors (all teens) may be in some sort of group home setting. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I saw it also. 

Was it anything more than rehashing what has already been made public?

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

Was it anything more than rehashing what has already been made public?

Nope. Some of Louise's siblings were interviewed, but they didn't have anything to say other than "We didn't know it was happening" and "We don't know why she did it".

Elizabeth Flores (LT’s sister) has a book coming out this week. Sisters of Secrets. It appears that thiis was initially going to be a book about the sexual abuse she and her sisters (and mother) experienced, but got expanded to talk more about Louise.

It is wriiten from a “Christian” perspective.   According to the press release, “Creative Life Publishing ‘s mission brings nonfiction stories of hope, encouragement, faith, and success strategies through the published word.”

Flores shares her experience growing up in Princeton West Virginia and the abuse that took place in her life. Flores also shares in details the moments of when Louise Turpin met David and how their relationship developed over the years. She also brings the message of how God protected her in the most dangerous situations and how she overcame them.

“I began writing this book in 2016 and in the winter of 2017, it was completed.” Comments Flores. “It had been submitted to the publisher for rounds of editing when the news hit Internationally. Being thrown into the spotlight I knew there was no accident God had called me to write this book”

Flores has appeared on major news networks with her cousin and Author Tricia Andreassen such as Good Morning America, 20/20, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, and Good Morning Britain. “I am still trying to peel back all the layers of memories that came to me during these interviews that had been buried. I began to remember certain dynamics that might have taken Louise down such a dark road. I know my faith and leaning on God brought me to a different place in my life.” Stated Flores.    ....

Press Release published in Ein Press Wire

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

It appears that thiis was initially going to be a book about the sexual abuse she and her sisters (and mother) experienced, but got expanded to talk more about Louise.

One wonders whether she really had a publisher before this hit the news.  Submitted does not mean accepted.  And of course it was revised and expanded ASAP.

Give me a break.  Way to cash in on the tragedy of the lives of your nephews and nieces, Ms. Flores.

14 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

She also brings the message of how God protected her in the most dangerous situations and how she overcame them.

I hate hate HATE this whole "God protected me in these dangerous situations". If God could intercede and protect you, don't you think he would have not let those dangerous situations be the ones you were born into?! And just that it implies that anyone who isn't "protected" in similar dangerous situations didn't have God's protection. It's just gross. 

Edited to add: I don't mean the above statement to be anti-religion or critical of a belief in a higher power. I just have major issues with the inconsistencies of belief about omnipotent deities that can/do intercede and "save" certain people. It's so arrogant and it just grosses me out and likely makes me more angry than a I should be having survived a lot of abuse myself (and I was a true believer as a kid).

10 minutes ago, Aine said:

I hate hate HATE this whole "God protected me in these dangerous situations". If God could intercede and protect you, don't you think he would have not let those dangerous situations be the ones you were born into?! And just that it implies that anyone who isn't "protected" in similar dangerous situations didn't have God's protection. It's just gross. 

Edited to add: I don't mean the above statement to be anti-religion or critical of a belief in a higher power. I just have major issues with the inconsistencies of belief about omnipotent deities that can/do intercede and "save" certain people. It's so arrogant and it just grosses me out and likely makes me more angry than a I should be having survived a lot of abuse myself (and I was a true believer as a kid).

I'm assuming you have never heard of Joyce Meyer, have you?  She would not be who she is, nor doing the work she does, had it not been tor the lousy situation into which she was born.

4 minutes ago, Willie T said:

I'm assuming you have never heard of Joyce Meyer, have you?  She would not be who she is, nor doing the work she does, had it not been tor the lousy situation into which she was born.

Assuming you really want anyone to learn more about this person, and not just be an ass, a link or two might be a good idea.  Too much effort?

2 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Assuming you really want anyone to learn more about this person, and not just be an ass, a link or two might be a good idea.  Too much effort?

You have a point.  I probably will send her a link.

4 minutes ago, Willie T said:

You have a point.  I probably will send her a link.

@EmmieJ meant for you to give us a link here to explain Joyce Meyer.  Although if you send Joyce a link to this thread she is welcome to become a member of Free Jinger and post.  I'd kind of like to talk to her.

For those who don't know, our new member probably means this Charismatic Christian Prosperity Gospel preacher:   https://joycemeyer.org/

Couple of articles here:

https://www.christianpost.com/news/joyce-meyer-ministries-addresses-lingering-controversies-about-financial-practices-142154/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/pastor-rick-henderson/osteen-meyer-prosperity-gospel_b_3790384.html

As I  have already expressed to the Admin here, I do apologize for bothering you all.  I was looking for a specifically Christian-oriented site when my search directed me here by mistake.  I still thought I could enjoy some conversation here anyway, but I an seeing that might not be possible.

Please continue to post, just be aware that no everyone might agree with you over every thing, and that you'll need to back up your statements with facts. 

@Willie T We have plenty of Christian members. However, even many of our Christian members are open to considering aspects of their faith critically and "showing their work" in terms of their views and arguments.

As I  have already expressed to the Admin here, I do apologize for bothering you all.  I was looking for a specifically Christian-oriented site when my search directed me here by mistake.  I still thought I could enjoy some conversation here anyway, but I an seeing that might not be possible.

You are welcome to stay and post, but keep in mind that you will be expected to defend your positions with facts, and provide links when appropriate.

There are many Christians here. In fact, if memory serves, they are our largest faith group, though no one group is a majority.

10 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Please continue to post, just be aware that no everyone might agree with you over every thing, and that you'll need to back up your statements with facts. 

Well, I am quickly seeing there isn't much point in that (though I appreciate your post.)  I feel no need to defend anyone to a person who calls me an ass in the very first reply I get here.

Joyce was molested and  abused by her father from the age of 15, and it warped her, as would be expected.  But, she let a relationship with her creator turn that around, and she now has opened multiple orphanages and shelters around the world.  Her tape ministry actually kept me from committing suicide about 30 years ago..... and from that point, I also began work with a part of society most people shun.

48 minutes ago, Willie T said:

I have actually heard of Joyce Meyer, but thanks for assuming. My post had to do with lack of consistency across someone's belief system. If someone believes that God created humans with free-will and some humans choose to use that free-will to do evil things but that God can help people grow from suffering and use their experiences of suffering to do good, that is a fairly consistent belief. It doesn't involve God "choosing" certain people worth protecting and not protecting others. However, if you choose to believe that God intercedes to "protect" some people but not others and you claim He/She/It protected you but not thousands or millions of others, then I think that comes with a certain sense of arrogance or self-importance. 

I'm not a Joyce Meyer fan myself, however I do admire her for turning her suffering into a message that I'm sure does give a lot of people who have been through similar situations as her (and as me) some hope and she does model that trauma such that she endured doesn't have to end or consume your life. 

Maybe you misunderstood my comment. I don't know. I definitely did not say that God or a theistic belief has no place in suffering or that trauma cannot result in growth for some people. :tw_confused:

11 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Her tape ministry actually kept me from committing suicide about 30 years ago..... and from that point, I also began work with a part of society most people shun.

I'm very glad she helped you.

What do you think of the criticism of Meyer - her life-style, financials, and prosperity gospel accusations?  Do you think that takes away from any of the good works she has done?

She gets a C on Ministry Watch.  Some others have done worse.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090107214846/http://www.ministrywatch.com/mw2.1/F_SumRpt.asp?EIN=431382734

3 minutes ago, Aine said:

I have actually heard of Joyce Meyer, but thanks for assuming. My post had to do with lack of consistency across someone's belief system. If someone believes that God created humans with free-will and some humans choose to use that free-will to do evil things but that God can help people grow from suffering and use their experiences of suffering to do good, that is a fairly consistent belief. It doesn't involve God "choosing" certain people worth protecting and not protecting others. However, if you choose to believe that God intercedes to "protect" some people but not others and you claim He/She/It protected you but not thousands or millions of others, then I think that comes with a certain sense of arrogance or self-importance. 

I'm not a Joyce Meyer fan myself, however I do admire her for turning her suffering into a message that I'm sure does give a lot of people who have been through similar situations as her (and as me) some hope and she does model that trauma such that she endured doesn't have to end or consume your life. 

Maybe you misunderstood my comment. I don't know. I definitely did not say that God or a theistic belief has no place in suffering or that trauma cannot result in growth for some people. :tw_confused:

Well, I DID read "hate, hate, hate" at the very beginning, so it kind of made it difficult to see much of anything else in the rest of the post.  Personally, yes, I have asked why a God would answer millions of others (you called it "protect them", even though our vision of the ratio seems to be opposite, and let me live the life I have) but, I have come to realize that if I am going to believe in a book called The Bible, I have to believe in all of it..... and most of the Apostles got the crap beat out of them, time and again.... and they were just about all, murdered... as was Jesus.  I don't find a disproportionate number of accounts of "protecting" that would offset all the Hell most followers went through.

Just saying that I don't expect the same protection that you might.

21 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Her tape ministry actually kept me from committing suicide about 30 years ago..... and from that point, I also began work with a part of society most people shun.

I'm also glad you were able to find something to help you through that situation. I'd also like to give you credit for getting yourself through that and Joyce some credit for overcoming her abuse. Not to discredit your faith or your Lord! but I think people deserve credit and admiration for  overcoming ordeals making the best of their lives. :my_heart: 

Also, what is the work you do with what part of society? I'd like to hear about it.

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm very glad she helped you.

What do you think of the criticism of Meyer - her life-style, financials, and prosperity gospel accusations?  Do you think that takes away from any of the good works she has done?

She gets a C on Ministry Watch.  Some others have done worse.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090107214846/http://www.ministrywatch.com/mw2.1/F_SumRpt.asp?EIN=431382734

I kind of look at the massive amount of time she spends far away from her home, and I also know dozens of people who have more than she does, so if her tapes and books are making most of that for her.... what's the problem?  Look at the tons of money  we all shovel into Washington to enable those cush lifestyles where they really only work a few months out of each year.  Is $ supposed to be our focus?  The Bible is full of people who were, relatively, ten times as rich.... and we honor them.

7 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

I'm also glad you were able to find something to help you through that situation. I'd also like to give you credit for getting yourself through that and Joyce some credit for overcoming her abuse. Not to discredit your faith or your Lord! but I think people deserve credit and admiration for  overcoming ordeals making the best of their lives. :my_heart: 

Also, what is the work you do with what part of society? I'd like to hear about it.

No, you probably really don't.  But, perhaps we can get into it some other time.  I gotta run now.... class awaits.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived