IGNORED

Seewalds 29: Still Marketing Cute Kids

Coconut Flan

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Texas Heifer said:

Re: male ginger tabbies: this is my baby.received_10157043494242575.thumb.jpeg.83704144a27a237fd324e3e9f18f3cd3.jpeg 

I love him more 'n my luggage, but he has cost me and my husband approximately $12K just to keep alive over his nearly 11 years, and I'm not counting food and litter.

I got him when he was exactly a year old. I believe he had been mistreated, though I don't know all the details. He is fear-aggressive and basically hates everyone but me and husband, and it took him a while to warm up to husband. We can't leave him for longer than an overnight, or he will get sick, and no one else is willing to feed him, and no one else could possibly give him his meds. He has terrible separation anxiety, you see, and stress has given him urinary blockages in the past. After his 9th blockage, he had a perineal urethrostomy, and he wasn't supposed to get blocked again.

However, he is special, and just this past September, he got blocked for the 10th time. It wiped out our savings to save him. We don't have kids, so our cats are our babies, and I was not ready to lose him. Anyway, he requires high-quality canned food, nightly cosequin, D-mannose and cranberry caplets, and a fountain. Because he isn't safe around other animals and humans, he lives in our bedroom. When vet visits are necessary, he has to be sedated.

He's high-maintenance, is what I'm saying. And I love him, I love him so much, but I'll never have a male cat again. They're prone to blockages after being neutered, and y'all, I can't do this again. We have a black male cat who also had a couple of blockages and a perineal urethrostomy. It suuuuucks.

I hear you on this.  I have a little black cat I found as a stray 11 years ago.  I was going through paperwork recently and found all of my vet bills for him and when I added them up it was around $5k!  Two UTIs, two visits to an emergency vet clinic, a period of being diabetic and a subsequent hypoglycemic shock episode which involved an emergency vet clinic three day stay over.  I always tell him he's a lemon, lol.

My other cat is a purebred Ragdoll (he was given to me, I didn't buy him), and I haven't had to put out any great amount of money on him.

Our boycat has cost us nothing out of the ordinary regarding vet bills. His sister, however, has cost us thousands!!!

here they are. Sorry about the blurry Lola  haha

3CD42B7A-9B67-4501-BF8F-275DD88E8D79.jpeg

11 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I had a beautiful orange Maine coon cat at one point in my life. It's been over 12 years since she passed away, and I still miss her. 

We had a male, orange Maine coon cat and he was hands down the best cat we've ever owned.  He was orphaned too young so we fostered him from the time he was 5 weeks old and still had to be hand fed liquid food.  He bonded with my husband as his and until the day he died he would latch onto whatever hubby was wearing and "nurse" like you wouldn't believe.  He was about 15 lbs. of pure orange fluffiness.

A tiny bit off topic of the off topic but I was just watching a vlog from someone from the US and I thought that fits here too. We were talking about bringing dogs into stores, but what amazes me is that in the US people walk around stores with coffee cups or other types of "open" drinks. You don't see that at all here and I think it may be not allowed too. No cup holders on shopping trolleys or wherever. (Seems like everything in the US has cup holders.) Not here. 

As for cats: They make great models for photography, I love taking pictures of them, but I'm a 100% dog person. I heard Maine Cones or however you write them are a bit more like dogs. 

13 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

We lost our beloved Yorkie, Laguna, last year and we seriously discussed not having a dog again because the loss was very painful for both my husband and myself. She was so smart and intuitive, just an amazing being. We recently got a hound mutt puppy because we have an only child (preschool age) and he was missing her and asking for another dog constantly. The new pup is fine, but we really see her as for our son and I doubt we will ever get another dog for ourselves. It’s been tough sometimes, but our son is over the moon in love and seeing the puppy and kid run around after each other is about the sweetest thing I’ve ever personally witnessed :my_heart:

Pic is a Laguna selfie. She was the best dog I’ve ever known :pb_cry:

DCE9B2AE-3882-4B9A-9BAC-8FCF57E2908F.jpeg

I'm sorry, are you me? We just lost our silky terrier (he looked a little like your Laguna) in October and it's been the most heart wrenching process. We have one child (who will remain an only child) and he has been asking for another dog, but our hearts just aren't there yet. We had him for almost 7 years and he 100% rescued us. This morning I found our kiddo in his bed with a picture of him and Parker :( 

263751_10150685887480447_7273004_n.jpg

On 1/6/2018 at 1:58 AM, Marly said:

If you can't take her for a walk, and don't have a (big) yard, where do you take her for her number one's and two's?  (Btw, i'm genuinly curious, it's not veiled criticism :P ). I've heard stories of people with chihuahua's who have trained them to use a litterbox, but I'm not sure if things like that exist for bigger breeds as well.

Where I live (the Netherlands) it is not "normal" to let your dog pee and poo in your backyard (unless it's an elderly dog on it's last legs), so people usually walk their dogs at least 3 times a day. One of those walks is usually a longer one (20+ minutes), and the others at least long enough for the dog to sniff around a bit and "answer nature's call". 

Of course there are people who let their dogs pee and poo in their backyards, but this is very much frowned upon. Most cities and villages here have a lot of specially designated “dog walk/dog toilet” areas, which gives dog owners less of an excuse to not walk their dogs. Also, one of the things that makes this possible, I think, is that distances here are much, much smaller than in the US. I can’t even imagine a situation here where you’d have to get into your car just to be able to let your dog pee/poo. When my parents want to go for real big walks (2+ hours) they do drive to a more rural area (short drives of no more than 20 minutes), but that’s mostly because they like to change up their walking routes, not because they can’t take those walks right where they live.

Just want to ask, sort of wistfully, is it difficult to emigrate to the Netherlands?  Asking for a friend.

Rascal is an all black attention seeker who meows outside our bedroom and bathroom door if you do not let him in. He loves to play fetch too! He is one year old.

Caffrey is a very introverted tuxedo cat, but will let you pet him once you get to know him. His favorite spot to be petted is behind his ears. He is six years old.

9447065E-CDCE-454A-BAA4-86B9F0101F90.jpeg

8881EFD7-90FB-42DB-874B-AA66B27FAF10.jpeg

B9372CB7-13FE-43C1-88A5-37AA9428C95B.jpeg

361CF5CE-EB93-4BF9-95A5-A97C721F8262.jpeg

4EDFF850-D890-4529-A515-AE74061788BF.jpeg

We have a brown tabby named Cammy. She acts more like a dog than a cat. She has to be the center of attention, especially with my hubby. When he comes to talk to me, she has to come in too.

Had to share a photo of my Sadie.  We got her when my son was in the first grade (6 years old).  He'll be 20 this year, so we estimate she's 14.  The school crossing guard had found her wandering on a busy street.  So we took her and she's been a part of the family ever since.  I have great affection for dogs, but they do seem needier than cats.  Sadie is a lot like me:  older, loves to curl up somewhere warm and nap, and is affectionate only when SHE feels like it.  LOL.

IMG_20180111_104007.jpg

This is my big boy Petit Chaton (little kitten in French). We usually just call him Petit, and yes I came up with that name at the age of 23! He’s about 6 years old now and no so little anymore. He’s been with me through so much- including staying up all night with me when I was in labor this past August (he stayed behind when we left for the hospital at 2:30 am). He’s had some trouble adjusting to life with a baby in the house, but I just try to give him extra cuddles during nap time and when baby is asleep at night. 

A86808EC-2C6B-48AF-9147-120B3B6DA259.jpeg

32 minutes ago, yeahtotally said:

This is my big boy Petit Chaton (little kitten in French). We usually just call him Petit, and yes I came up with that name at the age of 23! He’s about 6 years old now and no so little anymore. He’s been with me through so much- including staying up all night with me when I was in labor this past August (he stayed behind when we left for the hospital at 2:30 am). He’s had some trouble adjusting to life with a baby in the house, but I just try to give him extra cuddles during nap time and when baby is asleep at night. 

This is what I'm worried about with our MiniKachuu on the way. My cat is used to being the center of attention & she won't be after the next few months!

Any tips on adjustment? My greatest fear is that she's going to hop into wherever the baby is sleeping and lay on his face like she does to me at night :my_sad:

kitter.thumb.jpeg.89b9649db369011e623352712cab815e.jpegkitty2.thumb.jpeg.aaac8266bc3d89ebe1fc4e1650493f94.jpeg

Wanted to get in on all the cat pictures! Which are awesome! This is my KitKat. She is a tortie. She can be affectionate when she feels like it. She cries if you shut her out of the bedroom or bathroom though. She always greets me whenever I walk through the door by rubbing against my leg. Will bundle up with us in bed on cold mornings on my days off. She's also a bit of a scardy cat when it comes to the outdoors. Will NOT go outside. 

Must get in on the cat pictures:

August the Cat acts tough, but is actually terrified of everything. We had to take the bell off her collar because the noise scared her when she scratched. Her hobbies include whining for food and lying on clean laundry.

Tinycat is always disgruntled about something. Probably because I named her inappropriately as she weighs close to 20lbs and is anything but tiny. She dreams of one day getting into the basement to lie on all the boxes.

They’re both mostly useless but totally adorable so we let them stay.

D4259312-EC9F-42BF-9A55-3AF9098B4203.jpeg

317174B9-E1E8-4378-9CF0-64C56F674437.jpeg

26 minutes ago, kachuu said:

Any tips on adjustment? My greatest fear is that she's going to hop into wherever the baby is sleeping and lay on his face like she does to me at night :my_sad:

My kitty wanted nothing to do with the baby when we first brought her home. He couldn’t stand to be in the same room as her!

Our baby is 4 1/2 months old now, and kitty tolerates her. He’ll hang out in the same room until she starts crying. He’s sniffed her toes and laid next to me while I was holding the baby, so he’s come along way. 

Tips would be: allow the kitty to explore baby’s room. He/she will just get more curious if you keep the door shut. 

We took a blanket the baby had been swaddled and put in underneath the kitty’s food dish (not sure if that helped, but getting the cat used to baby smells is important). 

You're going to be so busy with baby, but try to spend some alone time with your kitty so he/she doesn’t feel too neglected!  Just 10 min of pets and brushing or playing make a difference! 

The first couple days will be rough, but it will get better I promise! 

My parents have kittens, and they were the complete opposite. They wanted to sniff and lick the baby, even cuddle with her. We quickly learned that they were more interested in the pack n play/ rock n play than the baby. Maybe have a box or something else out for the kitty to explore instead of the where the baby sleeps? 

Either way it will be just fine! 

Love all the kitty/bunny photos! 

My big guy (posted last night) is 16-20 lbs, depending on how well he is. I named him Blue, because he's orange. It's a color wheel joke, and I'm an artist, so.

Every vet he's ever seen has been very confused at first. :pb_lol:

We also have Mystery, boy, and Moxie, girl. Mystery wails mournfully for food, even if he's got plenty in front of his face. Moxie cries every time I walk out of her sight, but just me, inexplicably. I've heard it--it's loud! I scooped her off a bucket in a barn when she was approximately 5 weeks old, and we have been together ever since! 

Whenever 2 truths and a lie is played as an ice breaker I trip people up, because everyone guesses that a bunny sent me to the ER is a lie.  I was bunny sitting and the poor thing had cancer, so she needed medicine and hated taking it, would only tolerate it from her person. Cadbury got out of her hutch, bit through the tendon on my big toe and proceeded to enjoy herself playing hard to get all around the yard until someone got worried when I didn’t come home (pre cell days). My brother caught her, I got my tendon stitched together, got a tetanus shot and had to awkwardly explain the blood all over the rockscape. 

5 hours ago, Rebelwife said:

We had a male, orange Maine coon cat and he was hands down the best cat we've ever owned.  He was orphaned too young so we fostered him from the time he was 5 weeks old and still had to be hand fed liquid food.  He bonded with my husband as his and until the day he died he would latch onto whatever hubby was wearing and "nurse" like you wouldn't believe.  He was about 15 lbs. of pure orange fluffiness.

Aww. Mine was my baby for years, and she ever only took to me. She was a dear cat, my best friend no lie.

It's very sad though. All my life I had pets until the loss of my dog nearly three years ago. I can no longer have a pet thanks to my jack ass of a landlord. It's hard to find a place to rent here that allows pets. It's a bummer. My pets were almost my whole world. 

I loved seeing the pics of the pets, it did my heart good. Thanks folks :my_heart::my_heart:

33 minutes ago, marmalade said:

As much as I love looking at cute pets, when shit happens to fundies, it needs to be reported. Shit went down at Moody over the winter break. I wonder if Ben's heard. 

http://www.christianpost.com/news/moody-bible-president-coo-resign-amid-controversy-provost-retires-213319/

This was also posted on pulpit and pen Facebook page.

Sad when the whistle blower gets fired for stating the truth.

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

As much as I love looking at cute pets, when shit happens to fundies, it needs to be reported. Shit went down at Moody over the winter break. I wonder if Ben's heard. 

http://www.christianpost.com/news/moody-bible-president-coo-resign-amid-controversy-provost-retires-213319/

If he’s a student then I’d assume he had. I’m pretty sure most schools inform students about stuff like this. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived