IGNORED

Lori Alexander 36: Still Confused on What Discipline Really Means

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping Lindy was going to mention she gave a tea or something similar as the fever reducer, but no.  My inlaws swear by bay leaf (laurel) tea and it does work.  I've only ever seen them use it on a low grade fever though.  That's one thing I've never screwed around with both in my child or an adult.  My husbands recurrent fever is what prompted me to force him to go to urgent care which ultimately landed him 6 days in the hospital.  It was 102 at it's highest, I was always taught that anything over 101 was fighting infection of some sort.  When it came right back after one dose of Tylenol, I knew it was more serious than a stomach virus or possibly a bad case of the flu.  What we thought was potential flu was diabetic keto-acidosis.  

Lori can take her shoddy medical advice and shove it.  If I had followed the methods they are talking about in that thread....my husband would be dead.  

Uhhh chances are those emergency situation is probably related to an illness or infection. And please tell me, if the body is able to fight viruses why do people die from HIV/AIDS? And why did people in the not so distant past have such a reduced life expectancy if their bodies could just fight off illnesses? Scarlet fever anyone? The plague?  Hmmmm

18 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

Uhhh chances are those emergency situation is probably related to an illness or infection. And please tell me, if the body is able to fight viruses why do people die from HIV/AIDS? And why did people in the not so distant past have such a reduced life expectancy if their bodies could just fight off illnesses? Scarlet fever anyone? The plague?  Hmmmm

Because ghey secks/promiscuous het sex/drugs, take your pick. 

/sarcasm 

Right, HIV is easy. Those people deserve it she would say. That is God's punishment for playing in the sewer. For going against God's design. 

I Wonder if Lori can be sued for this statement if someone took her advice and they died. Lori says remind yourself seizures don't cause damage. 

Besides that she talks about tylenol and motrin causing liver damage. That is only if taken more than the bottle says and for long periods of time.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm168830.htm

As with everything, moderation!!!

tylenolliver.PNG.1950e5fe02abbbd88c9324835962de1e.PNG

1 hour ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

What is polysorbate80?

I googled it (goggle tactics?) and I'm not especially enlightened. It doesn't sound like anything for treating a fever, though. 

This site says:

Polysorbate 80 is a nonionic surfactant and emulsifier derived from polyethoxylated sorbitan and oleic acid, and is often used in foods. It can be used as a foaming agent to make spumas or airs. It is also added as an emulsifier in foods, particularly in ice cream, where polysorbate is added to up to 0.5% (v/v) concentration to make the ice cream smoother and easier to handle, as well as increasing its resistance to melting. Polysorbate prevents milk proteins from completely coating the fat droplets. This allows them to join together in chains and nets, which hold air in the mixture, and provide a firmer texture that holds its shape as the ice cream melts.

This essential oils site says:

It is a non-toxic, nonionic surfactant/emulsifier and a water-soluble yellowish liquid used as a dispersing agent which allows oil and water to mix without the use of alcohol. It is a fragrance solubilizer and stabilizer; it lubricates and has a soothing effect on the skin. This skin- safe ingredient is used extensively in oil-in-water emulsions (lotions, conditioners, cream rinses, shampoos, liquid soaps, body polishes or scrubs, etc.) and also for body mists and linen sprays. Will be found as an ingredient in many body toiletries, cosmetics and wipes now in the market. This product is not food grade.

If she's giving it orally, I really hope she's using the food grade version. Maybe she's using it topically with essential oils and doesn't realize that it isn't an active ingredient, just an emulsifier? Either way, YIKES!

drugs.com says polysorbate 80 is “used in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry in lotions, medical preparations (e.g., vitamin oils, vaccines, and intravenous preparations) and as an excipient in tablets.” It’s an inactive ingredient and is actually in children’s Advil. 

Lori has rendered me speechless once again.  I would love to introduce her to some autism mommas that I know... Many of whom have children who suffer from seizures... Seizures can and DO cause brain damage.  Every. Single. Time.  That's not to say the damage is always permanent; however, SEIZURES ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT OKAY!!!!

OK, something needs to be done with the "fever's aren't dangerous" post.  I realize low fevers of 100-102 are not real serious and are indeed your body's way of fighting infection, but for Lori to say 106 is not dangerous is going to get a child killed.

Anyone out there have any idea what, if anything, can be done?   This is too much.  Any legal peeps know if she can be reported for practicing medicine without a license?  Something, anything...

1 minute ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

OK, something needs to be done with the "fever's aren't dangerous" post.  I realize low fevers of 100-102 are not real serious and are indeed your body's way of fighting infection, but for Lori to say 106 is not dangerous is going to get a child killed.

Anyone out there have any idea what, if anything, can be done?   This is too much.  Any legal peeps know if she can be reported for practicing medicine without a license?  Something, anything...

I so agree. I have no idea what can be done... but seriously... we need to call the cops or SOMETHING!!!

I would love for a real doctor to step in and speak up. I'd like to see if she would delete a doctor. Has to be male of course since a female doc would be easily decieved.

Just now, AlwaysDiscerning said:

I would love for a real doctor to step in and speak up. I'd like to see if she would delete a doctor. Has to be male of course since a female doc would be easily decieved.

Great idea!  Who has the next doc appt. and could show him?  I'm not going for another month. 

Seattle Children's Hospital says

What You Should Know About Fever:

Having a fever means your child has an infection.

It's most likely caused by a virus.

You may not know the cause of the fever until other symptoms develop. This may take 24 hours.

Most fevers are good for sick children and help the body fight infection.

Use the ranges below to help put your child's level of fever into perspective:

100° - 102° F (37.8° - 39° C) Slight fever: helpful, good range

102° - 104° F (39 - 40° C) Average fever: helpful

Over 104° F (40° C) High fever: causes discomfort, but harmless

Over 106° F (41.1° C) Very high fever: important to bring it down

Over 108° F (42.3° C) Harmful fever: fever itself can cause brain damage

Also says go to doc right away if over 104. 

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/medical-conditions/symptom-index/fever/

18 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

OH SNAP Lori got her ass handed to her!

Reveal hidden contents

5a53b5636201e_1-8capture.PNG.a1c3763639d393b98f50de51bfa21a27.PNG

Go to her profile. She is telling everyone to report Lori for giving medical advice. 

When my son was around 2 he had rotavirus (thank you little germ factories at daycare).  He was on an upswing and then his fever went up to 103.  He clearly did not feel good at all.  He wouldn't accept popsicles or any kind of food/drink at all.  So long story short, we took him to the ER where they found that he had epiglottitis.  They thought they were going to have to give him a tracheotomy, but fortunately, they were able to get him on a ventilator.   He was in the ICU for 4 days on the vent and another 2 days in a regular room to make sure he was fully over whatever he had.   They never figured out exactly why he got the LIFE THREATENING condition, but I'm glad no one was trying to guilt me into ignoring my maternal instincts and getting my child proper medical care.

I have been talking to a friend who is a nurse and the more I have told her about Lori, the louder she is getting.  By the time I told her that Lori had once told a woman who was asking advice about disciplining her child who they had already tried hitting with various implements and she stopped when she thought she broke her daughter's arm when throwing her into a cold shower to "hit harder,"  my friend was full on screaming in my ear.

39 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

I Wonder if Lori can be sued for this statement if someone took her advice and they died. Lori says remind yourself seizures don't cause damage. 

Besides that she talks about tylenol and motrin causing liver damage. That is only if taken more than the bottle says and for long periods of time.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm168830.htm

As with everything, moderation!!!

tylenolliver.PNG.1950e5fe02abbbd88c9324835962de1e.PNG

I hope no one actually listens to her, but I fear too many will.  If/when a child suffers permanent brain damage because of Lori's bullshit I sincerely hope the parents sue for everything she's got, and have her charged with a crime if possible!  Unfortunately the people who would follow her advice are more likely to blame themselves when things go wrong. 

And Lori has the gall to tell mothers to educate themselves? Lori, who clearly hasn't really educated herself about anything? The 'mentor' who tells women to avoid education because they don't really need it?  Again, the phrase comes to mind that ends with '...and the horse you rode in on.'   :my_angry: 

If something were to happen, she'd just say that they took it out of context or didn't read properly.  Deflect, deflect, deflect.  It's never her fault, it's the others who can't comprehend.  

lol my friend just said "She's 50 Shades of Crazy"

Lori is something else. I don’t know how she’s still allowed a page! Advising women to stay with abusive partners and not give a fuck if their child has a 106 fever. Is she trying to get people killed??

Here is her response to Josh

image.png.70e643eb8c151e2a9365cd593a23f774.png

I swear to God this disclaimer was not on her post this morning. And look how super small that font it!!!

She only added this once things are getting crazy now. 

5a53c0aea435a_loridoctordisclaimer.thumb.PNG.3fa041e077033b929df0322a268f8eed.PNG

I think she quickly got in touch with some lawyer buddy to word that properly. Does not sound like something she would come up with on her own. Funny it was added shortly after I made the comment about her being sued. 

Except just yesterday she told Josh....

joshjacobsquestionforlori.PNG.1ab6a74bf27504b866a5bc384e9f8074.PNG

• Blahblah locked this topic

Archived