IGNORED

Lori Alexander 36: Still Confused on What Discipline Really Means

For dog’s sake, the whole “side effects of drugs” mentality makes me cray-cray. Yes, there are side effects, just like the side effect of eating too much healthy broccoli is that I fart. It doesn’t stop me from eating it nearly every day, though, because the benefits outweigh the side effect

while I was working with my medical oncologist in setting up my drug regime following breast cancer, she made a big point about the aromatase inhibitor I will take every day for five years. There are a boatload off side effects. She warned me that I had to take it every day, and if the side effects became too great, there were two other drugs we could try. I told her I was born with asthma and have lupus. I know all about faithfully taking drugs morning and night. When the alternatives are that I either can’t breath, or have kidney failure, or die, side effects don’t seem so bad. 

Lori is the most dangerous kind of idiot...the kind who thinks they are never wrong and no one else is right unless they do things her way. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I heard hoofbeats. The White Horse of Truth has galloped in to save Lori's arse:

Note the Kaiser Permanente website on the matter and use wisdom. It is the duration of a high fever much more than the temperature that matters, but any sustained temperature over 104-105 should see a doctor if you cannot bring it down with standard means.: 

To the point of the post: "A fever isn't harmful or dangerous unless it's very high (106° F) and lasts a long time. It's one of the ways the body defends itself against illness and fights infection.

And he adds the Kaiser Permanente link to add gravitas to his comment.

He's still wrong in my book. If my child's fever went over 104, I'd damn sure be seeing a doctor even while trying to bring it down. At the very least, I'd be calling said doctor and doing everything she told me to do. 

Ken: Do what you as a 'command man' (hahahahahaha yeah, right) is supposed to do according to Lori: Shut her up now, before someone's child gets hurt, or worse, dies. Shut. Her. Up. 

:angry-banghead:

Count me in among the 'low temp' people. When I had an upper respiratory infection and a fever of 102, I was in agony.

And she can get the fuck out of here with that bullshit comment about strep throat. Younger Bonkers routinely got strep throat multiple times a year, complete with huge swollen tonsils. I raised hell until Tricare gave me a referral for her to get a tonsillectomy. I wasn't going to keep her miserable by dosing her with lemon water and woo.

I know that a febrile seizure is not an indicator of epilepsy - but are the seizures similar?

I ask because my brother was recently diagnosed with epilepsy and the fear of seizures cause him so much anxiety; it just breaks my heart. He also says that he is sore for a couple days after a seizure because of the way they make every muscle in his body tighten up. 

Why allow a child to go through that?  Why take that risk of something so frightening and painful if Tylenol or Motrin would prevent it. I am sickened by the shoulder shrugging and minimizing of a child's discomfort. Lori and her followers are evil and I do believe that Lori takes delight in a child's pain. 

If a child has had a febrile seizure and his/her mother does nothing to prevent another one - that's a special kind of cruel. 

These posts piss me off. I can bet that if I dispensed unsubstantiated counseling advice like this and my professors found out, I'd be in a load of trouble. They might even just kick me out on my ass. It's simply unethical.

Yeah I have my beefs with the medical profession (them handing out anxiety meds like candy) but I'd never offer that kind of advice. We have doctors for a reason. It reminds me of the people who are antivax to avoid autism. Not only are autistic kids just as valuable as other kids, but an autistic child is much better than a dead one from a preventable disease. 

wow. I am finally caught up. 1. I had a co-worker get a brain infection because of untreated strep infection. The brain infection caused her to loose basic abilities to do her job, she had to be terminated (I work in an office environment) she now works in a deli. (Nothing wrong with working at a deli but I guarantee it doesn't have the wage, pension, health care, PTO and holidays off.)

2. High temps- as someone else pointed out depends on the person. 1 of my kid never spiked a temp with her ear infections but believe you me I knew when she had one. A friend of mine (we were mid -20s at the time) spiked a HIGH temp (103 or so) I couldn't get him to go to the ER. The next day another friend was able to get him there. I kick myself because the doc said he should have been there sooner. Another thing about temps, infections, etc- if the person isn't able to stay hydrated the person needs to see a doc ASAP.

3. seizure. are you f-ing kidding me? OMG. I can't even begin with how dumb ass she is being with her advise.

4. the glue stick rods, someone on FJ mentioned this technique before. It was done in a church they visited. I can't remember who said it but it is damn scary. Not to mention the fact these asshole "Christian, godly" mothers have no f-ing clue about what the rod means to the shepherds.

sorry for the swearing Lori is really pissing me off with these posts.

Sorry @Ken but I'm sticking with the Mayo Clinic on this one.  It doesn't say ANYWHERE on their page about fevers in children that a specific number "isn't harmful".  As a matter of fact, it uses 102 as the "above this" baseline.  Carefully medicate and monitor, if it gets worse or doesn't get better after a period of time, call the doctor.  It's not panic.  It's common sense. 

Ken finally jumps in 

kenjumpsinfevers.PNG.5a0e68b23bc9d682d1e8fdcfe55b8f88.PNG

He contradicts Lori. The Kaiser page says its not dangerous until 106 but Lori said 106 isn't dangerous. Only 107 is dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

So she really wants to leave California? That surprises me because she has a sick mother and other family there, including those three grandkids.  I wonder if Ryan's family will move along too.

You bring up an interesting about Ryan and his family. We already know that Ryan and his wife spank, blanket train, and do other physical forms of punishment. We know that Lori wants to California partially because of laws regarding corporal punishment, it's possible that Loriken is telling Ryan and Erin about moving somewhere where the laws are different. The orthodontic consulting business could be moved out of California as they can probably work from anywhere and they travel often to meet with clients. I could see Ryan and Erin considering moving due to the high COL of Cali.

@lilwriter85 The plan is that the children will hopefully come. I think it's likely that Ryan and Erin and the three poor grandkids may consider moving (though I wonder if Erin is from Cali and her family is still there) and Cassie will do whatever her parents tell her. Cassie is probably beating the shit out of her daughter as I type this. She is a total robot. I think Alyssa and her husband are happy in California and it def suits their lifestyle and Steven and Emily in NY will stay there because he owns or partially owns an orthodontic practice there. I don't see Ken fitting in to the monied South. Also, Lori's self described best friend is Steven in NY and he's a total California surfer type. The beach and friends and family  are bring draws to visit California.

I could also see a scenario play out that their kids talk about making a move with Lorken but then don't. Moving is hard. Making new friends is hard. Finding work is not simple, especially with many kids to support/beat. I don't see Lori happy without having others to boss around and Ken's going to hate being back on the receiving end of that! Ken's motive for the move is money. Lori doesn't want to go but will because she has no option. She is going to shit a brick when she has to co-exist with poor people, people of color, etc. She lives in an absolute bubble. For the first time in her life, she's going to have snakes, bugs, snow, ice, freezing temperatures, possible floods, no sisters in screaming distance, no grandkids to whip, etc. No health food stores, no costco perhaps, etc. I don't think she has a flipping clue what America is like once you get out of San Diego. Will she still be able to lie out naked in her back yard?!  

2 minutes ago, fluffy said:

I don't see Ken fitting in to the monied South however.  

Or Lori. I know so many women that would have her for lunch. 

Ryan's also in law school so I don't know what his plans are with that. Maybe Erin can be the breadwinner with her jewelry business. The only daughter they have who doesn't work is Cassie. 

2 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Or Lori. I know so many women that would have her for lunch. 

Oh you're totally right! She did not go to the right schools and she is really crunchy in an unhinged way. She is also so fucking nuts, so there's that. I see Ken as more social and used to those pick-up games of basketball. I can't even imagine the men I know in the South playing basketball past high school. It's just a different world than California. I bet anything it's Tennessee because of the Pearls AND Nancy Campbell. If you don't know Nancy and her husband you are in for a treat. Her husband has a Facebook page called "Meat for Men." You can't make this stuff up. Nancy Campbell's husband and Ken will probably be sharpening each other's iron for years to come. 

14 minutes ago, lilith said:

Um Lori, you regularly take a drug with proven side effects, including liver damage. It’s your beloved glass of wine.

Right, and didn't say ultimately about alcohol that everything in moderation. Well, its the same for Tylenol and Advil. The max dosage a day is 6 pills. Few are going to go above that amount each day and especially not over many days/weeks/month in a row.

1 hour ago, Joyce said:

I reported the Facebook page and chat room for self-injury or suicide. Following Lori's advice will leave someone dead.

Please let me know if they need copies of her posts today.  I think I got them all along with edited posts and how much time it took her to edit a post after being warned that the post was dangerous.  Ken's latest post is full of holes, too.  They have no business saying anything except to check with the child's doctor. 

From the bottom of my heart, I wish FB would ban Lori.  The world would be a much safer place if they did.

4 hours ago, EowynW said:

Sometimes they are born out of alignment. Especially babies born via C-section or vacuum/forceps. Birth can put them through a lot, actually. They usually are taken in for simple spinal and/or cranial adjustment 

Thanks for answering. Hmmm. . . I guess you mean the babies neck or spine is out of alignment? (I can't think of anything else that would be out of alignment). If my baby had a neck or spine issue, I'd consider that pretty serious and would want to consult a medical doctor. Besides, I'm not sure if the neck and spine of a newborn is even supposed to be in a straight line, or in alignment. And C-sections are usually far less traumatic to babies than vaginal births, so it surprises me that they'd need more help in this regard. Even vaginal births can vary greatly due to the size of the mother and the number of pregnancies she's had.

Something to think about. Thank you, E.

2 hours ago, fluffy said:

Ryan's also in law school so I don't know what his plans are with that. Maybe Erin can be the breadwinner with her jewelry business. The only daughter they have who doesn't work is Cassie. 

Oh you're totally right! She did not go to the right schools and she is really crunchy in an unhinged way. She is also so fucking nuts, so there's that. I see Ken as more social and used to those pick-up games of basketball. I can't even imagine the men I know in the South playing basketball past high school. It's just a different world than California. I bet anything it's Tennessee because of the Pearls AND Nancy Campbell. If you don't know Nancy and her husband you are in for a treat. Her husband has a Facebook page called "Meat for Men." You can't make this stuff up. Nancy Campbell's husband and Ken will probably be sharpening each other's iron for years to come. 

Well, if Ryan's in law school he'd better stay put. Unless he is going to an elite law school, he needs to stay where he has contacts. He grew up in S Cal, has has friends and tons of family there. That's where his client base will be, whether he chooses personal injury, criminal law, bankruptcy or whatever, his clients will come from the people he knows.

Some S Cal dude can't just show up with his law degree and expect to be trusted as a lawyer in rural Tennessee. It will be much much harder for him to earn a living that way.

2 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Ken finally jumps in 

kenjumpsinfevers.PNG.5a0e68b23bc9d682d1e8fdcfe55b8f88.PNG

He contradicts Lori. The Kaiser page says its not dangerous until 106 but Lori said 106 isn't dangerous. Only 107 is dangerous. 

One my siblings had a high temp as an infant, nowhere near 106, but high. My mother called the doctor at 9pm. The doc didn't tell her that the fever was God's way of "burning off the germs" or whatever Lori said. No, this doctor left his home and rushed to his office to meet my mother and examine the kid. 

I also know a five-year old who died of strep. This child received prompt medical care but still died. Strep is nothing to take lightly.

4 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

For dog’s sake, the whole “side effects of drugs” mentality makes me cray-cray. Yes, there are side effects, just like the side effect of eating too much healthy broccoli is that I fart. It doesn’t stop me from eating it nearly every day, though, because the benefits outweigh the side effect

while I was working with my medical oncologist in setting up my drug regime following breast cancer, she made a big point about the aromatase inhibitor I will take every day for five years. There are a boatload off side effects. She warned me that I had to take it every day, and if the side effects became too great, there were two other drugs we could try. I told her I was born with asthma and have lupus. I know all about faithfully taking drugs morning and night. When the alternatives are that I either can’t breath, or have kidney failure, or die, side effects don’t seem so bad. 

Lori is the most dangerous kind of idiot...the kind who thinks they are never wrong and no one else is right unless they do things her way. 

I've been off Tamoxifen for almost a year. The side effects, while taking it, were like menopause on overdrive. I'll most likely have life long effects from the chemo  painful neuropathy is one of them. My kid was seven when I got cancer and she is 14 now.  Chemo and all that came with it was hell, but staying alive to be with my kid and see her grow up was all worth it.

Holy crap. I know exactly where they are thinking of moving. My hunch was right. Franklin, TN. I can even show a picture of the house Lori wants IF they have to move. That is EXACTLY where Above Rubies, Nancy Campbell, and "Meat for Men" is located. It's a suburb of Nashville. OMG. She is going whole hog on the fundie. 

34 minutes ago, jerkit said:

How do we know Ryan is in law school?

He was. I can't answer how I know. Sorry. Wouldn't make it up. 

• Blahblah locked this topic

Archived