IGNORED

Dillards 48: Proselytising Prick Preaching to People

samurai_sarah

According to someone at Pickles, and who know how accurate it is, the home the Dillards are renting belongs to Cathy. If it's true, Mommy to the rescue isn't even the word for it. Derick did say the rent was cheaper, hmm wonder why?

My kids call my MIL and FIL Grandma and Grandpa. They called my mother Grannie at her request, and my ex's parents are Mana and Puppa. 

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in italy at least in my experience the grans are allways Call grandma first male and Granpa first name so that everybody knows who are you talking about. 

my parents were Gma and Gpa...a strange combination of Oma and Opa and Grandma/Grandpa...Hubs and I are Nona and Poppa. I did NOT want to be called "Grandma" when my first grandchild was born a month before my 39th b-day. My mother's parents (That I never met in person) were Abuela Carola and Abuelo Joe (Jose). My father's parents (mother and stepfather) were Mamie & Pop-Pop, My father's father and stepmother were Grandpa Charlie and Nana Sally (I saw them maybe once a year). My granddaughters' other grandparents are Granny and Gampa. My grandson's other grandmother is a non-entity in his life. 

On Topic:

I think Jill is still mentally/emotionally about 13. She doesn't know what she wants in life...she's been sold a bill of goods and is trying to make it work. Dwreck ain't helping. 

My mom is first generation American  so my kiddos call her Nonna (she's Italian), and my firstborn couldn't say grandpa and started calling my dad Pop Pop. Twenty five years later he is still Pop Pop to all six grandkids. I became Gram Gram when my firstborn became a dad (that's what I always wanted to be called) ,and since we have a fierce love of Futurama my grandgirl calls dh Shabadoo. She refers to my parents as Nonna and Pop Pop.

I was born and raised in Charleston SC and the amount of  meemaw's and Peepaw's, Mamaw's and Pawpaw's were crazy. Almost everyone I knew called their grandparents one of those. My parents were both raised in Pennsylvania, and they had never heard that before!

We always called our grandparents grandma and grandpa and added their first names. So for us it was always Oma Helene and Opa Anton and Oma Rosa and Opa Karl (not their real names). I knew a child who called her great-grandmother tick-tack-Oma, because in german the word for great- grandmother is Ur-Oma and the "Ur" is exactly spelled like "Uhr" which means clock. So the clock makes tick-tack which led that child to tick-tack-Oma. I always found that smart and funny. 

I call one set of grandparents "granny (first name) and grandpa (first name)" and the other set "gran and grandpa (last name)" don't think it's too tricky to work out which I am closer to haha:lol:

Paternal grandparents are Grandma and Grandpa, maternal are Oma and Pop Pop (because German cousins). 

Personally, I think you can call your grandparents whatever you like as long as you're not calling them Fuckface or something. Plenty of languages/cultures use different terms for maternal and paternal grandparents; in Mandarin it's yeye and nainai for paternal, and waigong and waipo for maternal, for instance. 

In my extended family the Filipino grandparents are called Lola and Lolo. On the Lebanese side they are called Sito and Jido and the Anglo grandparents are Grandma and Grandpa.  Great- grandmother is Nana.

We called my grandparents Bubbe and Papa.  I'm not sure why the Yiddish word for grandpa, Zayde, went away.  My mom used that for one of her grandfathers, but it sort of dropped off.  My husband is also Jewish, but his family never identified with Yiddish, so he used "Grandma and Grandpa" for one set and "Granny and Gramps" for the other.  Now that my in-laws are grandparents, they are going by the Hebrew--Saba and Savta.

Interestingly, my aunt goes by a nickname that is like Bubbe, but has a different vowel sound that nobody outside of my family can pronounce correctly.  We've also never found a good way to write it in English.  Needless to say, my husband was EXTREMELY confused when he got a message that "Boobie wants to talk with you."

My mom is first generation American  so my kiddos call her Nonna (she's Italian), and my firstborn couldn't say grandpa and started calling my dad Pop Pop. Twenty five years later he is still Pop Pop to all six grandkids. I became Gram Gram when my firstborn became a dad (that's what I always wanted to be called) ,and since we have a fierce love of Futurama my grandgirl calls dh Shabadoo. She refers to my parents as Nonna and Pop Pop.
I was born and raised in Charleston SC and the amount of  meemaw's and Peepaw's, Mamaw's and Pawpaw's were crazy. Almost everyone I knew called their grandparents one of those. My parents were both raised in Pennsylvania, and they had never heard that before!

I LOVE that they call your husband shabadoo. My SO and I just finished a rewatch of Futureama not 5 minuets who.

I always called my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa.  Only one of each was alive by the time I was born, so for me there was no confusion.

My niece and nephew called their maternal grandparents (my parents) Housey and Grandpa.  Housey was Housey and not Grandma because my sister was constantly dropping off the kids at my parents' house for the day or whenever and telling them where they were going.  The kids tried to call their paternal grandmother Housey also, but she made it very clear to them that they were to call her Grandma Last Name.

My niece and nephews call my mother granny, and the dad's mom Nanny.  They called my step dad Poppa.

My nephews that live out west also use Granny and Poppa for my parents, and Granny and J__ for their paternal grandparents - he did not want to be called grandpa and said they kids could use his given name.  LOL.  He was a somewhat loving grandfather, regardless of that.

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Meemaw and Peepaw are Southern things, y'all, and maybe a bit white trash.  I know that I don't associate it with educated people (Sheldon of The Big Band Theory the lone exception.)  (Yes, I know this is classist of me.)  Like @JenniferJuniper, my husband could not say Grandpa for his maternal grandfather so he got a unique name that my husband coined.  His maternal grandmother was Nanna.  My mom decided she wanted to be Mammy (and my dad Pappy) because those were what my dad called his grandparents.  I don't know that my dad was so thrilled about being called Pappy, but he got used to it.  I'm Grams because I was watching Charmed a lot when my oldest grandchild was in the "oven" and I loved the Hallowell sisters' grandmother.  She was a badass old hippie!

Well, I guess it's nice to know that my three-year-old niece is white trash. Thanks for the update. 

17 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Wow. At least you admit you're classist - which, by the way, doesn't make you one bit better than Southerners who proudly call their grandparents Mema and Pepa (my great-grandparents' "names" bestowed by my parents' generation. Snarking on the names children come up with for their grandparents is beyond low-class, and I'm sure that's not the type of "classist" you were going for. lol

This. I'm from Minnesota, which is like the furthest you can be from the South, and that's what my niece calls her mother's foster mom. Sometimes when family dynamics are a little non-traditional, cute names for people makes things easier. 

Seriously, at the rate Israel is growing he'll be taller than me in five years. 

Jessa does a great job of capturing Spud's and Henry's personalities. Israel and Sam are equally cute, I just don't think Jill has the knack of catching the same degree of cuteness. JMHO.

I wish my Kindle would quit changing Jill to Kill, even though I've added her name.

19 hours ago, singsingsing said:

My dad called his French Canadian grandparents Memere and Pepere.

Yep.  Shortened to Mémé and Pépé by alot of us. Further shortened to Mim and Pip in my particular family on my mom's side since none of us actually spoke french when we were little.

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

Derick actually posted something that's kinda nice! :o

If only he left out this " If we've given our life to Christ this only the beginning of life".

38 minutes ago, Thorkim1954 said:

Poor Sam looks scared shitless in almost every photo I've seen of the little guy.

And very uncomfortable. I like his expression on the above picture, I think it's cute. God help me, I actually think it's a good picture all things considered.

He takes after Jill so much looks wise. Is it just me?

My paternal grandparents were Nanny and Poppy. That had been decided long before I came onto the scene. On my Mom's side of the family, everyone called my grandmother Gran. (My maternal grandfather died 5 years before I was born). My brother and I were definitely the oddballs because we called her Nanny. 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

My paternal grandparents were Nanny and Poppy. That had been decided long before I came onto the scene. On my Mom's side of the family, everyone called my grandmother Gran. (My maternal grandfather died 5 years before I was born). My brother and I were definitely the oddballs because we called her Nanny. 

I was going to ask you what you called the grandparents. 

I never knew my maternal grandmother, she passed the year I was born.

My maternal grandfather...he passed away years ago, and I still miss him. He was the greatest man I ever knew. I was so close to him. He is in my heart always.

My paternal grandfather...he died way before my time. My father even barely remebers him, and only saw him a couple times. 

My paternal grandmother died as I was hitting my teen years. 

I miss having grandparents. I looked at my neighbor from back home as a grandmother figure, but she's passed away.

I'm glad Nanny and Poppy are still used in Newfoundland. That brings a smile to my face. :tw_heart:

2 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I'm glad Nanny and Poppy are still used in Newfoundland. That brings a smile to my face. :tw_heart:

Totally going strong. My aunts and uncles are called Nanny and Poppy by their grandchildren. I don't think it will change! :) Thankfully! 

Ok, I'm going to chime in on this one. As a young child (maybe 4-5 yrs old), I called my grandmas "Black" grandma and "White" grandma. One grandma lived in Florida, was always tan, and had dark brown hair. The other lived with me in upstate NY, was pale white, and had white hair. Never EVER meant to be racist, they were just easy to describe! 

My little Rufusarians call my in-laws grandma and grandpa, but my parents are papa and pash. When I was growing up, pash was a term of endearment my dad used for my mom. I have no idea why. When the eldest Rufusarian was starting to talk, he heard my dad use it and repeated it. Fifteen years later, she is still pash and loves it. Hard to find on those lovely items you want to get at holidays, unless you spend a small fortune to personalize it!!! 

4 minutes ago, Drala said:

A shiny turd award! Well deserved to Derick!

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Totally going strong. My aunts and uncles are called Nanny and Poppy by their grandchildren. I don't think it will change! :) Thankfully! 

I hope it never changes. It's a lovely tradition! 

I've been away for too long I think.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived