IGNORED

Fresh Pasta Pomodoro

MargaretElliott

First recipe in this club, eh? I'll get the ball rolling.

I've been making this pasta recipe for a while. I made it up, but soon discovered it was a real thing, but I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned, and add marinated chicken to the mix. You can leave out the chicken to make it vegetarian, or add a meat substitute. This recipe serves two, because I'm usually just making dinner for my boyfriend and myself, but you can easily scale it up.

INGREDIENTS

1-2 chicken breasts (I've been finding freakishly huge chicken breasts in the grocery store lately, just make enough to serve two)

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp oregano

2 tsp basil

1 tsp red pepper flakes

Salt/pepper

1 small onion

2 cloves garlic

Approximately 2 cups chopped fresh tomato (I like Roma, but cherry and grape are also wonderful. I'd like to try heirloom varieties)

1 cup optional veggies (I like asparagus, green beans, or spinach)

Cooked spaghetti for two

1/4 cup fresh basil

PREP

1. Marinade chicken in olive oil and dried spices for at least 20 minutes. Dice the onion and mince the garlic, chop the tomatoes and any veggies you want to add.

2. Toss the chicken in a skilled and cook until it's got some nice color. Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes, and any firm vegetables, if you're into that. Saute until the tomatoes blister and thicken. They kind of form a sauce.

3. In the meantime, cook spaghetti. When it's done, drain and add it to the skillet with the chicken and vegetables. Turn off the heat and add in chopped fresh basil. I like to top it with Parmesan.

Super simple and delicious, takes me like half an hour to make, and that's only because I'm marinading chicken. 

• 2 weeks later...

I made pineapple and passion fruit cordial today, as I was looking for a refreshing drink on this 40 degree Celsius day.

1 1/4 cups of unsweetened pineapple juice

1 1/4 cups castor sugar

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 passion fruit 

Place pineapple juice, lemon juice and sugar in saucepan and place over a medium heat until sugar dissolves. Raise heat to high and bring mixture to the boil.

reduce to a simmer and simmer for 15-20 minutes and mixture thickens.

Remove from heat and add the pulp of the three passion fruit.

Allow to cool.

Serve 2 tablespoons over ice and add soda water.

Archived