IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

My son is Henry (a couple of years before Jessa named hers Henry, sigh). Second boy would have been Jude but we are having a girl. Girl names are mostly awful...either way too popular or way too cutesy. I probably could have named 10 more boys before a girl lol.

Jude would be a good girl name, too!

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I probably won't have any kids, but there's a maiden name on my mom's side of the family that was lost because someone had only daughters, and it actually works as a first name for a boy or girl. I'm holding onto that name super tight and won't tell anyone it for fear it becomes a trend. It's kinda weird for a girl though. But I have a weird boy's name for a first name, so at least my daughter and I would have that in common?

My Mom wanted to use her mother's maiden name as my middle name, but my Dad vetoed it. The name became my younger brother's first name.

I have a unisex first name with a different spelling, which no one ever gets right. I gave my daughter a very feminine Jane Austen inspired name, but it also has a spelling that no one gets right. Oh well, I lived with it, so she can too. :)

For our next child our husband and I only agree on two names. A common boy's name and a unisex name for a girl. If we wind up with twin girls I think we will find ourselves in an 11th hour situation.

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Well then don't name your child after a lawn implement and pronounce it different and you won't have that problem.

Ok, now I’m dying to know. Rake? Trowel? Hedge trimmer? Shovel?

My kids all have pretty traditional names - some of which I didn’t realise the current popularity of until after I had named them. I had to compromise with their fathers (3 kids from first marriage, one from current) and didn’t get to use my absolute favourites, but I’m happy with them. All middle names have family significance.

My 2 year old was going to be named after her father’s father if she was a boy - Robert. Her middle name is Kate. Blackadder fans will understand.

I don't want to have kids, but if I don't I'll feel kind of bad for not passing on my middle name. My mom, grandmother, and I all have the same middle name. My grandfather, my aunt, my cousin, and my cousin's daughter also all had/have the same middle name too (it's a unisex name). I'd like my middle name to continue to a fourth generation too so I'm hoping I can get one of my siblings to use it.

FYI... My cousin doesn't know that I named her daughter after Camilla Parker Bowles because I'm a total royal nerd and I need to have a little Diana in the future :pb_lol:

The only Camilla I know is a total tomboy and goes by Camo. 

@Georgiana I have an aunt Tanny from the names you described, we're Cherokee as well. Winne/Winnie is also popular in our family (for Lake Winnepesaukah). Mr. C said no to that one verrrrrry quickly.

All of the baby names we've got picked have meaning to one or the other of us, family, literary love or dear friends, but no solid theme. I had a massive baby name spreadsheet, but was waiting for his help/ his Mum's help to start looking at possible Chinese first names since I got told the English sites for it are all rubbish and don't include much more than very popular ones.

Since I imagine we'll change our minds around next pregnancy the front runners for a girl in no particular order were: Cora/Corrine, Bridget, Rebecca, Savannah and Lacey. For the gents: Timothy, Everett and Patrick.

I also very jokingly agreed years ago with the girls that none of us would name our children after wine or cheese. No Chardonnays or Bries, no Sarah spelled as Syrah.

6 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

If I ever have a daughter (and this is incredibly unlikely) I would name her Myra. When I was a kid on my hometown, I would go for walks a lot, because there was literally nothing else to do. One of my favorite paths through the woods ended up in the old section of the town graveyard, where there was a headstone that was always fallen over. I always righted it, because I felt odd leaving someone's grave askew. It was a grave from the 1880s, and the name on it was Myra, and she died as a young woman. One day, the headstone was just gone. I mean, it makes sense- Victorian headstone, no living descendants, no one cares- but all of a sudden, I realized that I was probably the only person on earth who knows her name. And she was a person, she lived, she breathed, she might have loved. But now she's gone, and the only memory of her is my memory of fixing up that grave. They say people die two deaths- one when you die, and one when someone says your name for the very last time. Maybe I could postpone her second death for a little longer.

I was a weird kid. But I still love the name.

waaaa, this made me tear up a bit! How lovely!

A friend of mine was a vicar's daughter, and to get to the vicarage you had to walk through the graveyard. She showed me a grave by the path for a guy called George Heaven, and we'd always say 'hi, George!' as we passed by. Eventually when we were about 17 we spent the summer researching him, found out all about his life and what the village had been like when he was alive, and gave what we'd found to the local library. I like thinking that we delayed the second death of George Heaven.

I don't know if I'm ever going to have kids, but I have recently decided that if I have a boy I would use the name Chester, either as a first or middle name. Linkin Park was such an important band to me, and Chester Bennington's suicide really hit me hard. I want to honor him, because I don't know if I'd be alive today without Linkin Park's songs.
If I had a daughter though, I don't know... maybe Lydia... *shrug* Hopefully my future husband or wife would have a name they really like.

My fictional daughter would be Named Windsor Rose. Win for short. For a boy Tristan.  For years I was fixed on Ainsley because I adored the the West Wing character.

I have a few names kicking around for if/when I have kids. But some of it would have to depend on the surname my kids would end up having; I want their names to flow well. 

Girl: Nora, Ariel, Alexandra, Eliza, Adele, Helen (family name on my mom's side), Eleanor, or Vera

Boy: Alfred, Vincent, Joseph, Henry/Harry, James, Leo, Karl, Alexander, or Philip

I also thought of using the name of an artist as a middle name for either gender, since my great-great-uncle was a semi-famous painter and I thought that would be a nice, subtle way to honor him. Maybe Klee as a girl's middle name because his name also started with K.

19 hours ago, singsingsing said:

It's a rule from the Old Testament that Jim Bob and Michelle held to. After the birth of a son, the couple has to wait 40 days before resuming sex. After the birth of a daughter, they have to wait 80 days. I've heard it explained variously as females being more 'unclean' than males, females having life-giving potential within themselves (thus doubling the wait time to honour that), or it being a protection for the woman whose husband would naturally want to get her pregnant immediately again after the birth of a daughter to try for that all-important son. I have no idea what the actual origin is, but we know Jim Bob and Michelle practiced it. 

I don't think we know for sure that any of their kids hold to this rule. It would make sense if they did, but I'm not sure any of them have ever come right out and said, "Yes, we wait 40 days after a boy and 80 days after a girl."

Thanks for explaining, I guess it would make sense historically to offer some protection to the mother, and nowadays mothers are normally told 6 weeks which is just over 40 days.

I am thinking Joy will have a boy because surely a Duggar having a girl would want to announce it to the world immediately with all the boys born in he family lately.

My guess for the name is Daniel Austin.

As for the date, I am going to guess my own birthday March 7 as I was very wrong on my guesses for both Jill and Anna, so hopefully I'll be wrong again!

However, the possible silver lining to this is that if Joy has the baby anytime between the 4th and 11th, Josh will no longer have the closest birthday to mine, so there is that. Although I really hope she does not give birth on his birthday. That would be just awful!

4 hours ago, Lullu-Beanz said:

I don't know if I'm ever going to have kids, but I have recently decided that if I have a boy I would use the name Chester, either as a first or middle name. Linkin Park was such an important band to me, and Chester Bennington's suicide really hit me hard. I want to honor him, because I don't know if I'd be alive today without Linkin Park's songs.
If I had a daughter though, I don't know... maybe Lydia... *shrug* Hopefully my future husband or wife would have a name they really like.

Make it the middle name, I'm hesitant to say this because I did love Chester Bennington voice and enjoyed Linkin Park alot, but in elementary school we had a kid named Chester and kids started calling him Chester the Molester. It was relentless, to the point the poor guy finally dropped out in 10th grade. :( I caution young people, frequently, to think of how horrible school children are when you name your child, don't make it easy for them to get tormented in school.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:32 PM, GreatScott said:

I’m going with a March 7th, a boy, named Remington James. 8lbs 5 ounces. 

Oh naaaahhhhhhhh, please sweet baby Jesus, no Remington. I NEED that name for my 4th child. It's MY grandmother's maiden name. Please. No. Don't be true. Lawd. Don't be true. Pls Joy & Austin if you are reading. Please do not use this name. I beg of you. Pls. Love thy neighbor and do me this solid. I promise when you eff up in the future, I'll be nice to you on free jinger just don't use this name. Aight ? Aight.

19 minutes ago, AlternativeVoice said:

Oh naaaahhhhhhhh, please sweet baby Jesus, no Remington. I NEED that name for my 4th child. It's MY grandmother's maiden name. Please. No. Don't be true. Lawd. Don't be true. Pls Joy & Austin if you are reading. Please do not use this name. I beg of you. Pls. Love thy neighbor and do me this solid. I promise when you eff up in the future, I'll be nice to you on free jinger just don't use this name. Aight ? Aight.

What would happen if they used the same name you wanted to use for your child, though? Would you feel like you couldn't use it anymore? I hope not... most people don't know/care much about the Duggars, so I'm sure no one would think you used it because of them, or anything like that. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :) 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Make it the middle name, I'm hesitant to say this because I did love Chester Bennington voice and enjoyed Linkin Park alot, but in elementary school we had a kid named Chester and kids started calling him Chester the Molester. It was relentless, to the point the poor guy finally dropped out in 10th grade. :( I caution young people, frequently, to think of how horrible school children are when you name your child, don't make it easy for them to get tormented in school.

Well, as a young single woman, naming children isn't something I'm going to have to worry about anytime soon. But I will take your advice to heart if the situation ever arises.
And it makes me sad to know kids get picked on for names when they have no control over it...

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

What would happen if they used the same name you wanted to use for your child, though? Would you feel like you couldn't use it anymore? I hope not... most people don't know/care much about the Duggars, so I'm sure no one would think you used it because of them, or anything like that. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :) 

Yeah. My daughter has the same first name as a Duggar in-law. The second girl name we picked is the same name as one of that person’s sisters. The boy name is the name of one of the Duggar sons as well. On top of that, I share a birthday with two fundies. My husband shares with a Grandduggar. My dad’s birthday is the day one couple married and my sister shares a birthday with yet another Duggar in-law. There’s more, but I won’t bore you. 

Suffice to say, none of that has affected me or my family in anyway. It’s honestly not a big deal at all to share a name or birthdate with a fundie. 

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Suffice to say, none of that has affected me or my family in anyway. It’s honestly not a big deal at all to share a name or birthdate with a fundie. 

But if it's not a big deal, how will we pretend to be SUPER UPSET and also coyly get to mention our own birthdays/kids' names/anniversaries/etc. on Fj? ;) Haha.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Of course parents-to-be should think about possible downsides to their chosen baby names, but I think there can be lots of flexibility, especially with nicknames.

A kid named Chester can go by Chet, and if that’s what schoolkids know him by, they will tease him using THAT name :my_tongue: (I somewhat assume that all or most kids get teased at some point regardless of their name).

And, a kid named Chester can also go by Corky, or Charlie, or Mike, for that matter.  Or whatever his middle name is.  Schoolmates don’t need to know if that’s a formal name or not.

I recently read the obituary for an elderly man who was fairly prominent in my community.  He was known as Shorty.  I was surprised to read in the obituary that this nickname had started while he was an infant!  I guess those kinds of nicknames are not as common anymore as they were 80 years ago, but nicknames can carry through school years, or at least past the teasing age.

I like to say that you have to consider that your child will, when meeting people, shake their hand and look at them and say “Hi, I am blah blah blah”. 

And how does that sound? Avoiding rhyming, too much alliteration, difficult last letter in first name in position to last name (our issue) 

So, there ya go!!

3 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Of course parents-to-be should think about possible downsides to their chosen baby names, but I think there can be lots of flexibility, especially with nicknames.

(snip)

I agree with you, but there are unforeseen pitfalls. My friends' and my jaw dropped, when a lady from France introduced herself as "Fanny". Perfectly acceptable name in France, I am told. But in the US it means one thing, and in the UK another. And the meaning in the UK is far more unfortunate than in the US. "Fanny" in the UK, refers to female genitals.

Having said that, of course, no one can sound out everything!

10 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

I agree with you, but there are unforeseen pitfalls. My friends' and my jaw dropped, when a lady from France introduced herself as "Fanny". Perfectly acceptable name in France, I am told. But in the US it means one thing, and in the UK another. And the meaning in the UK is far more unfortunate than in the US. "Fanny" in the UK, refers to female genitals.

Having said that, of course, no one can sound out everything!

Totally agree!  That’s what I would include in “think about possible downsides”.  Although cross-cultural meanings might be hard to get a full sense of.

Fanny used to be a common or at least not-bizarre name in the USA, but times have definitely changed...  On the other hand, times will continue to change, what goes around comes around, etc.  Will be pretty funny when “Bob” becomes a swear word!  Or maybe “Delores” (ref. Seinfeld, no offense to any Deloreses)

6 hours ago, Lullu-Beanz said:

I think Bennington would actually be a pretty cool name. Ben as a nickname.

So my fiance and I are about 5 years off from starting a family, but oh boy will be naming be hard. Even for dog names (soon!!!!!) we just don't agree. He and all 3 of his siblings have 5 syllable (first-middle-last) very traditional English names. My name is somewhat popular now, but wasn't when I was born. Some of my aunts have names you probably have never heard before. I loved being the only one in my class with my name. I love old names that aren't popular right now (like Lara/Virginia for a girl, or Robin/Ellis for a boy) and my fiance likes names like his- very traditional, popular in every decade. Annoyingly, my favorite girls name is Charlotte (shortened to Charlie if she's a tomboy, or Lottie if she wants) but after the royal baby that name has become super popular. Theodore for a boy as well. 

Anyway, besides our inherent name differences, my fiance has a hard rule about "noun names." No places, no flowers/animals, no virtues. But then he loves the name Grace? He and his mom both would love us to name a child Grace and I love it too...but it rhymes with fiances last name. I told them we could name her Grace Mylastname. Future MIL's (who is a wonderful woman in other regards) eyes bugged out of her head but she didn't say anything. Fiance is a great guy but he's having trouble with that one. I think it would actually be beautiful with my last name, and since fiance has no issue with me keeping my name, I'll keep trying to persuade him :D 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived