IGNORED

Counting On - Season 4, part 4 - Where Time Isn't Linear and Everyone Is a Relative

Buzzard

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I think she looks like Paul McCartney in a wig and a dress...a very pointy dress.

Paul McCartney has looked like an old lady for years, so good point :pb_lol:

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can defend pregnant women putting their hands on their bellies. I did it in photos I took because then at least it was obvious I was pregnant and wasn't just getting fat. :pb_lol:

The part that annoys me about Jill, and now Joy is how they are in the early early stages so you can tell they're trying hard to arch their back and stick their stomachs out when all they have is bloat at this point. That's attention seeking. 

15 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

The style is virtually the same as the dress Michelle (and Kelly Bates) wore for their children's weddings, but their dresses were a periwinkle/gray/bluish shade. This is clearly an ivory or light pink shade. It's really uncanny, because the modified neckline is very similar to Michelle's as well. But I really think it's a different dress. 

Perhaps they got a discount for getting a whole bunch of them on sale in different colors and sizes.    We'll probably see the grown girls wearing them when their own kids get married.   :cracking-up:

28 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

Perhaps they got a discount for getting a whole bunch of them on sale in different colors and sizes.    We'll probably see the grown girls wearing them when their own kids get married.   :cracking-up:

Jill didn't wear one to Joy's wedding though. Maybe they don't come in maternity sizes...

On 10/27/2017 at 1:09 PM, Buzzard said:

Hey, if she's getting up in years and still has boobs like that, then I salute her! My "perk" is long gone... 

I've never had a 'perk' seeing that I was, as my late great aunt called me, "two thumb tacks on an ironing board".  Yea, she was never known for her  kind words.  Now I'm a half-perk after my mastectomy 

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

half-perk after my mastectomy 

I went from two thumbtacks to concave after my bilateral mastectomies. But then I decided to go ahead and go through reconstruction, so now I'm a C or D, depending on how much I weigh any given month - they never change size, but my band size changes. Also - now I never have to wear a bra at all, unless I'm wearing something super-sheer.

Figured what the fuck, right? :)

On 10/27/2017 at 5:08 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, total BEC thing here, but would it kill the Duggar women to buy some nice taupe flats that would look so much nicer with those pretty bridesmaid dresses instead of wearing those gladiator sandals/flip flops with everything, regardless of whether or not they match or fit the theme of the dress? This irks me immensely. I don't expect stiletto heels or sky-high wedges (though Jinge, hook a girl up with the ones you wear), but it's not that much effort or expense to make your outfit look halfway cohesive and like you actually care about the formality of the event.

Despite the fact that she's been in the black clogs for some of the pictures, Michelle actually *has* worn appropriately colored flats several times.

For instance, she's wearing these flats at Amy's wedding.

59f6458469ade_MichelleatAmysWedding.PNG.bc25e3d189cdd63ed1751c1b31b4fe8e.PNG

On 10/28/2017 at 12:30 AM, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

The style is virtually the same as the dress Michelle (and Kelly Bates) wore for their children's weddings, but their dresses were a periwinkle/gray/bluish shade. This is clearly an ivory or light pink shade. It's really uncanny, because the modified neckline is very similar to Michelle's as well. But I really think it's a different dress. 

If looked at side-by-side, I think the modesty under-panel is actually the only difference between the two beyond the color, though that may be due to lighting. Otherwise, they look very similar aside from the the material filling the area between the v of the dress. At Joe's wedding Mary appears to have the sleeves turned up slightly, but if they were down I think they'd be the same length as Michelle's. So if they aren't actually wearing the same dress, they have two identical dresses in silver and maybe cream. (And at Jill's wedding, Michelle is again wearing appropriately colored flats.) 

Kelly Bates' dress from Alyssa's wedding also appears to be mostly identical, though with yet a different modesty panel, but interestingly appears to be one row of ruffle shorter. I wonder if she used that extra ruffle row to create the modesty panel, since it, unlike the ones on Michelle and Mary, appears to be made of the same material as the dress.

59f64c54e9368_MichelleMaryandKellyJoatWeddings2.PNG.d91c4ffe25052a12ad5bec9424a53938.PNG

Maybe this was voted on by the Gothardites as the official Mother of The Bride/ Grandmother of the Bride dress. 

What is funny, is that Kelly Bates wore hers first and IIRC, many people liked it and thought she looked nice.  Then about a year later Michelle wore it.  I think on Michelle's tiny frame, combined longer length on a shorter person, the dress was overwhelming.  Michelles long crinkle hair adds to the mess.  The dress looks better on Mary, because the silky panels seem less shiny in the cream color compared to the metallic silver color.  The modesty panel is also way to high on Michelles.  It looks like it is cutting into her chin.   A lower and less obvious modesty panel would have worked better. 

It was obvious when JB first saw Michelle in the dress that he didn't like it.  He got flustered and all he could gather his wits to say was something about it being a modest dress. 

The dress, especially in the full length version is also way too fancy for casual afternoon wedding.  This dress, which is ugly imo, is best worn by someone taller.  Pointy nips aside, I think it looks fine on Mary, considering the dress sucks

Given that individuality is not really important in the fundie culture, I wonder if wearing different versions of the same dress is common?  I mean how many different fundies do we know who have worn that tragic big blue flower dress with the striped sleeves.  And it doesn't seem to matter to them that several in their circle have the same dress.   It seems odd to some of us, but wonder if this is normal in their cult

47 minutes ago, calimojo said:

Maybe this was voted on by the Gothardites as the official Mother of The Bride/ Grandmother of the Bride dress. 

What is funny, is that Kelly Bates wore hers first and IIRC, many people liked it and thought she looked nice.  Then about a year later Michelle wore it. 

You said Michelle wore it a year later than Kelly. I suspect that perceived time difference comes from the craziness of the timelines in the show. In fact, they wore the two dresses less than a month apart! Alyssa's wedding was on May 24, 2014, and Jill's was on June 21, 2014.

I wonder if Michelle and Kelly actually went shopping together, or shared resources? That would be an interesting situation, given the question of how close Michelle and Kelly really are. The Duggars were certainly *at* the wedding, so it's also possible that Michelle saw Kelly wearing it and asked her about it?

5 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

You said Michelle wore it a year later than Kelly. I suspect that perceived time difference comes from the craziness of the timelines in the show. In fact, they wore the two dresses less than a month apart! Alyssa's wedding was on May 24, 2014, and Jill's was on June 21, 2014.

I wonder if Michelle and Kelly actually went shopping together, or shared resources? That would be an interesting situation, given the question of how close Michelle and Kelly really are. The Duggars were certainly *at* the wedding, so it's also possible that Michelle saw Kelly wearing it and asked her about it?

I was thinking Kelly wore it for  Erin's wedding.  But you are right it was for Alyssa's.  Alyssa's wedding style was over the top senior prom.  Maybe that was why some liked the dress, because compared the bright pink gawdiness it seemed subdued. 

I wonder what Alyssa thinks of her wedding choices now?  She seems to have adopted a much better style since she married.

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

It was obvious when JB first saw Michelle in the dress that he didn't like it.  He got flustered and all he could gather his wits to say was something about it being a modest dress. 

I remember Boob saying, something like , "Mama, what a modest dress." 

My reaction was if it were me and my husband said that to me I'd be so unhappy that that was the best he could say.    

Anyway, it must be the latest in fundie wedding attire uniforms.   

Unless you are tall and thin it would be hard to pull that thing off with any kind of grace and/or elegance. 

I thought some of the girls went with Michelle, and picked it out. It was on clearance. Why oh why do I remember this stuff?

Yes,  it is a butt ugly dress.  I think that layered style, not sure what to call it, was a big thing a few years ago.  I remember having to get a formal dress to go to an event and I saw a lot of dresses with that kind of tiered layering on the lower half.  I guess it probably hides a lot of figure flaws, but it is ugly. 

All of the Duggar weddings have been afternoon affairs, right?  Typically with a day wedding a long dress is not appropriate other than the bridal party.   Jinger's wedding was a big more formal than the others, and Michelle's dress was ok for that, if I remember.

Michelle's long ratty hair, and hunched shoulders are a bad combination.  It makes her look squatty and square.  Just by pulling her hair back as she did with Joe's and Joys, she looks better.  It gives her a neck and makes her look less boxy.  She is a pretty woman, and seems to be in decent shape after having 19 kids.  I can't fault her there as I had 3 and still carry baby weight 20 years later. 

With just some minor tweaks in her wardrobe and hair, she could look so much better.  However, as I would say for all women,  They have the right to look how they want to look.  If Michelle is happy with herself, then so be it.  I am not one to really say someone has to change their dress so as not to offend by view. 

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I thought some of the girls went with Michelle, and picked it out. It was on clearance. Why oh why do I remember this stuff?

I said earlier that there had to be a whole bunch of those dresses on clearance and they got a group discount for them.   Here - we'll take all these dresses you have on clearance if you give us a better discount.    

Then they took them home and put them in bags under the table and made the announcement (ala Ophra Winfry)   
Look under your seat for a SURPRISE!!!

You get a dress!   You get a dress!   You get a dress and YOU get a dress! 

Tah - Dah!

36 minutes ago, calimojo said:

I was thinking Kelly wore it for  Erin's wedding.  But you are right it was for Alyssa's

Actually Kelly wore that dress twice. She wore it to Zach and Whitney's wedding the first time.  Still, that's only half a year before Michelle wore it.

All the weddings but Joy's was in the afternoon.  She had an evening wedding.  I feel like we just played the fundie version of "Who wore it best?" Michelle definitely lost and JBs reaction to the dress was priceless.  

well in Jimbob's defense, I am not surprised he had that reaction.  It was probably one of the more spontaneous things they have filmed.  He clearly was caught by surprise by how bad that dress was and at least he tried to say something nice.  It was a weak effort to be sure, but I think if that had been my husband, he would have been speechless. 

I read through all of this, wondering why we are picking apart a dress, despite who might have worn it best.

Marrying off a nubile, innocent female to an equally immature "headship" who may or not have the means to support her, or the dozens of kids she is supposed to produce.... any comment on that?!

Just now, MarblesMom said:

I read through all of this, wondering why we are picking apart a dress, despite who might have worn it best.

Marrying off a nubile, innocent female to an equally immature "headship" who may or not have the means to support her, or the dozens of kids she is supposed to produce.... any comment on that?!

I just shake my head...these children are ill-prepared to be adults. Uneducated, secluded, isolated in their little bubble...what's going to happen when reality bites them in the ass? (See Jill and 2 c-sections). They don't have the coping skills to adult, let alone raise a family. I honestly believe that Ben and Jessa are probably the only couple that has at least some of their shit in one sock. I'm glad that JinJer have not reproduced yet...they might end up being the smartest couple...they're coming up on a year w/o kids. Damn. Joe and Kendra will be announcing before the end of the year. JinJer may announce after the first of the year, but that'll put the birth of Vuolo spawn #1 at almost their 2nd wedding anniversary. 

They're all fucking insane. I have no problem raising children with some sort of moral foundation...however, to twist their little minds and intellects to the point where they're barely literate and pretty much unqualified for any sort of career which would support a family...no...

I'm a rather uneducated sort who made many mistakes raising my kids...but they figured out fairly quickly that if they wanted the nicer things in life, some sort of education was necessary. I'm not saying that everyone needs some 4 year degree...hell no! But, apprenticeships, tech schools can land you a fairly decent paying job...what do these kids have? Grifting 101 from daddy? 

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived