IGNORED

Safe at Home (Arndts) 3: No penguins were harmed in the making of this thread

samurai_sarah

4 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

Boys + no sex drive = SALTPETER 

You would be surprised at how many fundy kitchens have a shaker of saltpetre hidden in a cupboard.  Really.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

You would be surprised at how many fundy kitchens have a shaker of saltpetre hidden in a cupboard.  Really.

I would like to know more please. Even if this just anecdotal.

32 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I would like to know more please. Even if this just anecdotal.

I have seen saltpetre in many kitchens when I was in Malice in Fundyland.  Everyone said it was used in cooking and was like MSG but better.  Sure. Right.  More like fundy birth control, just shake a little on his food on those fertile days.  That’s always been my take on it, could be wrong.

6 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I have seen saltpetre in many kitchens when I was in Malice in Fundyland.  Everyone said it was used in cooking and was like MSG but better.  Sure. Right.  More like fundy birth control, just shake a little on his food on those fertile days.  That’s always been my take on it, could be wrong.

Huh. Interesting. As gustava’s link mentions I’ve only ever seen it used for soldiers. 

Ok... I get that it’s an old wives tale or whatever, but if ma Arendt believed this and used it on her son’s to try to keep them without normal urges or whatever it. Would. Be. So. Wrong. This family really sqeezes me out... I mean many of them do for different reasons I guess. 

Oh boy... So the Arndts have invited a speaker for their Softball Classic this weekend. She's the daughter of a preacher who was "visited by archangel Gabriel 27 times" in the late 70's and has a rapture message for the world.

The website is another level of kookoo...

http://www.angelsonassignment.org

http://www.angelsonassignment.org/why_aoa.html

I mean, my mom believes that kind of magical christian stuff sometimes but 14 grown men who have travelled and seen the world?? 

54 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Oh boy... So the Arndts have invited a speaker for their Softball Classic this weekend. She's the daughter of a preacher who was "visited by archangel Gabriel 27 times" in the late 70's and has a rapture message for the world.

The website is another level of kookoo...

http://www.angelsonassignment.org

http://www.angelsonassignment.org/why_aoa.html

I mean, my mom believes that kind of magical christian stuff sometimes but 14 grown men who have travelled and seen the world?? 

“St. Paul (and Pastor Buck) were shown the rapture...” 

By JOVE you can’t make stuff up any better than this!!!!!

So i had to look up saltpetre/saltpeter as I had never heard of this. It's potassium nitrate, and is used in explosives, fertilizer, and other industries BUT also in toothpaste, historically in medicines for asthma and low blood pressure, AND food! Charcuterie and corned beef often contain saltpeter, and it is frequently used a thickening agent for stews and soups. It is approved for use in food by EU, US, Australia, and there is NO scientific evidence (stated by scientists) that saltpeter is an anaphrodisiac or can cause impotence. Sorry to burst the bubble! But I was curious. 

41 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

So i had to look up saltpetre/saltpeter as I had never heard of this. It's potassium nitrate, and is used in explosives, fertilizer, and other industries BUT also in toothpaste, historically in medicines for asthma and low blood pressure, AND food! Charcuterie and corned beef often contain saltpeter, and it is frequently used a thickening agent for stews and soups. It is approved for use in food by EU, US, Australia, and there is NO scientific evidence (stated by scientists) that saltpeter is an anaphrodisiac or can cause impotence. Sorry to burst the bubble! But I was curious. 

(to the bold) right there is proof it doesn't work as an impotence because corned beef is traditionally an Irish dish and we all know those heathen Irish Catholics had big families!

I've never heard of any fundie parents trying to use saltpeter. I think with the Arndts they have been emotionally abused and manipulated by their parents that they can't even fathom the idea of leaving home. 

3 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

snip

I think one of the unanswerable questions about the Arndt offspring revolves around how much they actually believe this shit.

Rick is crazy, that's for sure.  Cathy may be equally crazy; at a minimum she's an enabler of Rick's craziness.

But it's hard to imagine everyone else believes in this nonsense to an equal degree, especially considering their exposure beyond the old homestead.  If only someone would break away and clue us in!  It's all so mysterious. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I've never heard of any fundie parents trying to use saltpeter. I think with the Arndts they have been emotionally abused and manipulated by their parents that they can't even fathom the idea of leaving home. 

My ex MIL used it.  Kept it in the cupboard over the stove.  I was horrified when I found it, whether it works or not I don’t know, but they believe it does. That’s when I asked around and found it was common in the fundy community.

3 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

My ex MIL used it.  Kept it in the cupboard over the stove.  I was horrified when I found it, whether it works or not I don’t know, but they believe it does. That’s when I asked around and found it was common in the fundy community.

What particular flavor of fundies were these? I grew up fundie and knew a lot of fundies, but never heard of such a thing. I know there's differences between different groups, though.

46 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Ugh I thought that I didn't like Rick Arndt before. I really don't like him now! 

He loves Trump.  He was hand-picked by Jesus to save this nation.  

It's funny, but when I come across a FB page on which someone identifies him or herself as a Christian I automatically think "Racist, Sexist Asshole" and move on.

Sorry, Christians.  I can't help it. 

3 hours ago, Lisafer said:

What particular flavor of fundies were these? I grew up fundie and knew a lot of fundies, but never heard of such a thing. I know there's differences between different groups, though.

Nondenominational.  They embraced baptists and pentecostals and the like.

18 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

Thanks for the info about the speaker. Wacky!

I found this contrast you posted interesting. I would never consider the Arndt "boys" as "grown men who have travelled and seen the world"! (Though they are really terrific photographers, which I still have trouble reconciling with their narrow worldview.) I'm guessing your mom is very sheltered and conservative? But hey--presumably she moved away from her parents, lives in her own house, has had at least one relationship, and raised at least one kid--a lot more experience than any of this generation of Arndts!

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

Oh, look what Rick posted today.  Jesus himself guiding the hand of the evil orange menace.

image.png.26e7a6b66d56db678b5457caef6e387c.png 

I'm hoping and praying The Donald's hand is being guided to sign his own letter of resignation. THAT is the divine intervention we need. 

They must be expecting a decent amount of people, to hold the Classic for this weekend AND next. If I lived closer I'd see if I could pay a friend to attend with me lol - I need to better reconcile how these folks can be so worldly yet remain insular fundie at the same time. 

On another note...Luke currently has a fb profile pic that includes not one, but *several* non-related young women. Might be a first for them - it's always solo or family pics on fb. #freeluke 

On 9/11/2018 at 5:54 PM, neurogirl said:

My boyfriend and I just ate charcuterie for dinner. Still wanted to go to Tuna Town. QED. 

1 hour ago, Letgo said:

I'm hoping and praying The Donald's hand is being guided to sign his own letter of resignation. 

Me too.  But alas, Rick is implying that Trump's decisions are all being guided by hand of Jesus. 

So....Jesus = Trump.  Trump = Jesus.

WTF is wrong with these people?  

1 hour ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Me too.  But alas, Rick is implying that Trump's decisions are all being guided by hand of Jesus. 

Maybe they worship from The Art of the Deal, which the trump didn’t even write, instead of the Bible. It seems they are following the one spreading hate instead of live as Jesus teaches. I continue to be amazed by fundies, and conservatives in general, who bend over backwards to kiss the butt of a man who is the antithesis everything they believe in. On top of that, he no doubt looks down on them. Let’s be real here, he would much rather hang out with the cool, rich celebrities who now want nothing do to with them. 

On 9/13/2018 at 6:06 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

Well I think that the cheese has slipped off Rick's cracker. Otherwise just the usual white, patriarchal male who hates "others."

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived