IGNORED

Zach and Whitney Bates - part 4

laPapessaGiovanna

On 3/22/2018 at 10:12 AM, backyard sylph said:

Also, again, please pardon my need to offer this: http://grammarist.com/usage/toe-the-line/

THANK YOU! I see so much “tow the line” here and in my mind it carries a totally different connotation. 

On 3/22/2018 at 9:40 PM, Coconut Flan said:

I wonder if in 10 years, people are going to be not wanting to have all their public rooms run together as one and not want their kitchen the focal point from the front door. 

I am not a "great room" or "open concept" type person.  I would have left the window in the kitchen also. 

And the all-white-everything in the kitchen. Man, I hope that trend is on the way out. My husband and I moved to a new city last year and we have decided to stay in our rental house until we can find a house we love that doesn’t need an entire kitchen overhaul to get rid of the gigantic basin sink, obnoxiously bright white cabinets, middle school bathroom-esque subway tile backsplash, pale gray paint, and nickel/sterling everything else. Why is this the standard kitchen uniform and why am I expected to pay a premium for it? Ugh.

That being said, Whitney seems to love her new kitchen, so I love it for her. She and Zach seem to be making a nice life for themselves.*

*relatively speaking and based solely on what I’ve seen online and on the show

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main floor of our house has an open floor plan.  Kitchen, dining room, & living room in one big area.  The house was built in 1994, so the idea for an open floor plan isn't something new.   It was also a custom build for the original owners, so I have a shit ton of oak trim EVERYWHERE.  tray ceilings & oak trim, tripple oak molding, oak baseboards, every window trimmed in fancy oak woodwork.  The kitchen filled with oak cabinets (I had to count the other day & I have 30 cabinet doors) It has a very 1990's dated look. 

I had been wanting to update it, change the look for a couple of years.  yes, I fell down a pinterest hole of gray walls & white trim.  Yes, I picked a shade of gray and have been busting my ass for 3 weeks now painting wood work & baseboards and walls.  I'm not even 1/10th of the way thru how much there is to get done.   Each piece of oak trim takes 3 coats of white to completely cover it.   But OMG the difference it's starting to make in the overall look of the open floor plan. 

I do not however plan to do white cabinets.  I'm going with a darker gray.  3 shades darker than the walls.  All the doors (9!) such as closet doors, bathroom doors, doors leading to the outside, etc are going to be 2 shades darker gray than the walls. 

I would kill for a herd of Bates to come in and crank out all of this work in a weekend.  Then I could work on the smaller projects for the room like staining 2 end tables, silver leafing the mirror that hangs over the fireplace, painting my kitchen island that I got for Xmas, & painting picture frames.   My list feels endless!  Other than having my brother come help with the tray ceiling molding, I'm doing this entire project ALONE.  My hubby & son both have jobs with long hours, so I'm flying solo in a sea of gray and white and that damn oak wood work!

I don't actually mind a lot of white but I wouldn't do it myself since it would show all the dirt and I'm too lazy to wipe everything down every day. I like wood. Not super dark or super light. Kind of a warm medium stain to show the wood grain and make the home feel warm and cozy. Plus it hides dirt so much more than white.

8 hours ago, Southern Unicorn said:

The main floor of our house has an open floor plan.  Kitchen, dining room, & living room in one big area.  The house was built in 1994, so the idea for an open floor plan isn't something new.   It was also a custom build for the original owners, so I have a shit ton of oak trim EVERYWHERE.  tray ceilings & oak trim, tripple oak molding, oak baseboards, every window trimmed in fancy oak woodwork.  The kitchen filled with oak cabinets (I had to count the other day & I have 30 cabinet doors) It has a very 1990's dated look. 

I had been wanting to update it, change the look for a couple of years.  yes, I fell down a pinterest hole of gray walls & white trim.  Yes, I picked a shade of gray and have been busting my ass for 3 weeks now painting wood work & baseboards and walls.  I'm not even 1/10th of the way thru how much there is to get done.   Each piece of oak trim takes 3 coats of white to completely cover it.   But OMG the difference it's starting to make in the overall look of the open floor plan. 

I do not however plan to do white cabinets.  I'm going with a darker gray.  3 shades darker than the walls.  All the doors (9!) such as closet doors, bathroom doors, doors leading to the outside, etc are going to be 2 shades darker gray than the walls. 

I would kill for a herd of Bates to come in and crank out all of this work in a weekend.  Then I could work on the smaller projects for the room like staining 2 end tables, silver leafing the mirror that hangs over the fireplace, painting my kitchen island that I got for Xmas, & painting picture frames.   My list feels endless!  Other than having my brother come help with the tray ceiling molding, I'm doing this entire project ALONE.  My hubby & son both have jobs with long hours, so I'm flying solo in a sea of gray and white and that damn oak wood work!

There is nothing wrong with liking the „Pinterest look“. There have always been trends around, so there have always been people who decided to go for a similar style at the same time. 

I think your kitchen sounds nice, by the way.

20 hours ago, Pete Pickles said:

THANK YOU! I see so much “tow the line” here and in my mind it carries a totally different connotation. 

And the all-white-everything in the kitchen. Man, I hope that trend is on the way out. My husband and I moved to a new city last year and we have decided to stay in our rental house until we can find a house we love that doesn’t need an entire kitchen overhaul to get rid of the gigantic basin sink, obnoxiously bright white cabinets, middle school bathroom-esque subway tile backsplash, pale gray paint, and nickel/sterling everything else. Why is this the standard kitchen uniform and why am I expected to pay a premium for it? Ugh.

That being said, Whitney seems to love her new kitchen, so I love it for her. She and Zach seem to be making a nice life for themselves.*

*relatively speaking and based solely on what I’ve seen online and on the show

I just built a house, and this is my exact kitchen. I love it so much. It is so pretty and bright.  I also have an open floor plan, and I like it for my family. I feel like we use the space better with less wasted space. I’ve had larger homes that really didn’t use square footage well and had a lot of wasted space. 

We own a 2 bed, 1.5 bath townhouse that’s right around 1200 square feet at the moment. The main living area is kind of open concept. The half bath sits between the kitchen and living room - there are no walls between the kitchen and living room, but the bathroom makes it impossible to see from the living room to where we do the cooking (though you can clearly see the dining area.) I love this place because it’s our first home, but it’s not the best setup when you have a toddler. We have no way to block off access to the kitchen, so we’re constantly chasing her around (which is fun, but less fun when we’re trying to cook.) 

Other than the appliances - which we upgraded last year and love - our kitchen isn’t updated. It’s nice enough and it’s functional though, so we don’t plan to make any cosmetic changes prior to selling if we don’t have to. The next owner can do that if they really want to. Husband and I do love the current Pinterest style kitchen - white cabinets, subway tile, stainless steel appliances, oversized sink, etc. Zachney’s kitchen looks really nice, but isn’t my taste exactly because it’s just so dark with those floors and without that extra window. They seem pretty excited and proud though (as they should - they worked hard), so I’m glad here happy with how it turned out. 

I like white cabinets, and I like gray walls too but I don't like when people paint a whole house in just white and gray and even more when they do white paired with black. I have a friend who has the whole house white and black, she even has white and black ornaments only in her white Christmas tree. I think her house is dreadful. She is good at actually decorating in how she combines things and such but keeping the colors so uniform and the contrast between black and white all over the place is just not my thing. 

My dream kitchen is white and yellow with a grey and yellow retro wallpaper in a kind of 50s style. I can't fully describe it but I know what the wall paper looks like (I have seen it) and a friend of mine had that white and yellow in her kitchen. This combination would be my thing. I would decorate the kitchen with a mix of more modern and retro furniture. 

I think greige  walls and white trim  look so good with blonde wood floors and neutral upholstered furniture with pops of coral, pink, blue, and aqua and dark wood here and there.  I don’t like a completely neutral palette.

Living in rentals, I'm sick to death of white, shitty contractor grade cabinets and ugly ass floors. I can't wait to get into our own home again and paint the hell out of everything. Our house in VA was the old non-open concept type house (built in 1966 or so) and I hated it. It sucks to be in the kitchen and cut off from the rest of the family. I want to find another house like the one we had in PHX. Downstairs, one side was a formal living room and dining room, then there was an archway into the kitchen/eat in/family room area. There were windows all along the back of the kitchen that looked out over the backyard and pool. The family room area had a fireplace on one wall that was all brick and a vaulted ceiling. Upstairs there were two bedrooms, a master bedroom/sitting room with french doors to a balcony and a real wood-burning fireplace, master bath and a hall bath. 2300 square feet and laid out amazingly. God I loved that house. 

Personally, I really hate white cabinets, so I'm not a fan of the new kitchen. I actually liked the old kitchen a bit better, though my dream kitchen would have cabinets darker than that. But they put a lot of work into it and it seems to make them happy, so good for them

Zach and Whit's obligatory Easter post. (Those are Whitney's biological parents in the last photo right?)

12 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Zach and Whit's obligatory Easter post. (Those are Whitney's biological parents in the last photo right?)

her dress is nice. the modest shirt under it ruins the whole look

Yes Whits bio parents.

i think Bradley looks a lot like a boy Whitney and Kaci looks a lot like a girl Zach!

20 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I can't blame here here. I would wear something under that deep of a v as well. Maybe not that particular something but def something.

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

A girl in the choir at my church wore that same dress today and she must have just pinned it. She’s busty but she looked very nice (and was on display because she sang a solo). There are ways to be modest without wearing a bright white t-shirt under everything.

I wouldn’t put it past her to have choose the white to match her outfit to Zach and Bradley. 

We have seen her with some very deep necklines so modesty is definitely not her biggest concern anymore. Fundie definition of modesty. In my eyes she is perfectly modest. 

I can totally relate to dressing more modest to church though. It is similar like going to work. You are expected to dress a certain way. Catholics cover shoulders and knees, Orthodoxs, Muslims and Jews also have rules inside their holy places of worship, no biggie. 

14 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I don't really mind the shirt underneath it and would probably also wear something similar. Especially with a toddler that you carry on your arm and that will probably pull your neckline in different directions.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:56 AM, elliha said:

My dream kitchen is white and yellow with a grey and yellow retro wallpaper in a kind of 50s style. I can't fully describe it but I know what the wall paper looks like (I have seen it) and a friend of mine had that white and yellow in her kitchen. This combination would be my thing. I would decorate the kitchen with a mix of more modern and retro furniture. 

I rather like that style too.. My dream kitchen is something like this. My actual kitchen is already kind of like this except way, way smaller. My kitchen is tiny but I do have the original huge white farmhouse sinks which I love.  

Spoiler

ISuwcg8wppatqe1000000000.jpg

15 hours ago, Kelsey said:

I can't blame here here. I would wear something under that deep of a v as well. Maybe not that particular something but def something.

Me too. I think it would like nicer if the tshirt were lacey, or silky.

I wear similar things under dresses or deep v’s at work.  I’m not trying to be modest for religious reasons, I just prefer if the gals aren’t on display all the time.  They can come out to play on the weekends.  

The only thing that confuses me is why one wouldn’t use a tube top for those purposes. My shirts tend to roll up over time and that makes annoying lines under dresses, plus you can’t just pull it down in public.

I think it would’ve look cuter with a nude top instead of white one. Regardless, I totally would’ve worn one as well, that’s way too much cleavage for me!

Kaci and Bradley are perfectly dressed but, again, Kaci shoes are a fail. A 2 year old can easily fall down with that kind of sandals.

21 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I rather like that style too.. My dream kitchen is something like this. My actual kitchen is already kind of like this except way, way smaller. My kitchen is tiny but I do have the original huge white farmhouse sinks which I love.  

Hide contents

ISuwcg8wppatqe1000000000.jpg

That's a nice kitchen, my only tweak would be darker counter tops. Most of the other details are dark so that would make a better unit. I love the cabinets though, they look very sturdy and well built and are a nice wood color. 

When I moved into my fixer upper house, the kitchen (which has little natural light) had dark red walls, weird beige with brown tints cabinets, black backsplash and appliances. And butchers block counters, which I fell in love with. But the cabinets matched the counters in a weird way and the red made the room even darker than it was, so we did the all white cabinet thing and oh man is that a lot of hard work. You gotta sand everything first and then prime and paint and somehow I was in charge of this project and it took weeks. Now the walls we chose a light minty blue color (SW "sea salt") because I don't understand doing white and grey, wouldn't you want a little pop of color to offset the white and make it stand out?

My husband works for a property development company that flips houses and they have a standard for every house they do - always open floor plans, grey walls, white kitchens. It looks very blah to me, but it certainly sells. Luckily their focus is also to restore historic features so the house has some character, because so many new houses don't.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived