IGNORED

Dillards 42: Tweeting to Unpopularity

Coconut Flan

Eeek! I think I saw the Cross Church crowd from a distance yesterday here on Capitol Hill.  If only I had known--I would of gone up close to gawk.

I was too busy hoping for a Prime Minister of Canada sighting yesterday.  Sorry, Derick I have my heathen priorities.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I honestly don't see what the big deal is to let girls into the boy scouts? Have you seen what we get to do in girl scouts? It sucks in comparison. This whole "my boys need BOY TIME" thing is just ridiculous. 

Truth! My Mom was the "Den Mother" for my older brother's boy scout group. I tagged along to all of the meetings and got to do all of the fun stuff (Campouts, pirate parties, hikes, etc). When I was old enough for Girl Scouts I was excited for my first meeting. Until I got there and all we did was make pads to sit on the ground with out of newspaper and old wallpaper samples. I never went to another meeting. (But I did like to wear my Brownie outfit around the house, because it was cute).

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

@Screamapillar- Sit-up-ons- those things were called sit-up-ons.

I always thought it was a sit-upon. lol

Mine was made of two placemats (they were green vinyl) with newspaper in between. The placemats we used had a "decoration" of perforations around the edges, which we used to lace them together with leather "strings."

We have three Eagle Scouts. The outdoor training is great for kids who grew up in the suburbs. Independence and resilience and such. My husband, a leader and committe chair said there should be many girls interested in the outdoor program. Providing each group does have a good, active outdoor program. 

Our middle son then worked as a counselor in the big scout place in New Mexico for a summer. He is one tough cookie and can handle things well. 

Personally, I wouldn't want to chaperone a co-ed middle school camp out. Ha ha

Maybe they won't have those. 

3 hours ago, cascarones said:

I hope their meetings and greetings on the Hill are simply show boating, as far as I can glean CC wouldn't be a big enough donor for sway (I could definitely be wrong here).

He's there on a school trip.  I'm sure there were a bunch of 5th graders waiting in the hall for their turn next.

I guess this means he came up with his tuition money, and now we understand why its 12k - gotta pay for those field trips!

19 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I always thought it was a sit-upon. lol

Mine was made of two placemats (they were green vinyl) with newspaper in between. The placemats we used had a "decoration" of perforations around the edges, which we used to lace them together with leather "strings."

I made the best sit upon as a Brownie. It was actually a large bucket with a lid that was in turn covered by a cloth cushion for you to sit on. Not only did it make a proper chair/stool for sitting, but you could store stuff on the inside. It’s at my parents’ house and I really need to find some way to bring it to my apartment, because it’s very useful.

I don't understand why Jill went. She is nursing Samuel I am sure. Maybe Cathy is with them to take the children?

He has no credentials to be a holy person that I can see. What schooling in religion does he have. Whew.

The rank of Eagle Scout still carries a lot of prestige. I don't think the Girl Scouts have an equivalent, at least not one that is universally recognized. Wolf Boy was an Eagle Scout, and grand Wolf just made star. I will have to ask their opinion.

True there is no Eagle Scout equivalent for females. It really does, with the outdoor program, promote self reliance. My boys are always there to jump in to help others also. Or maybe that was because they have such a great mother. 

For girls who want to participate it could be a great life experience. Starts I think in 2019. 

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The rank of Eagle Scout still carries a lot of prestige. I don't think the Girl Scouts have an equivalent, at least not one that is universally recognized. Wolf Boy was an Eagle Scout, and grand Wolf just made star. I will have to ask their opinion.

They don't, and this is one of my main arguments. There are jobs out there that will consider you more if you have the rank of Eagle Scout. No one gives a fuck about Girl Scouts because they teach you arts and crafts, how to sew a patch, and how to sell cookies. It really bothers me when idiots like 45 and dWRECK call them the same thing.

I actually distinctly remember a time when I was younger that I realized Boy Scouts learned way more than Girl Scounts did. I was watching an episode of Rescue 911 and during one of the interviews, a boy my age said "I learned in boy scouts if the face is red, lift the head. If the face is pale, lift the tail." and that's how he helped an injured family member who went on and recovered. 

I didn't know anything about first aid. I sold cookies. I quit soon after, what was the point?

Just want to echo everyone's sentiments about the Girl Scouts. When I started, I liked it, but I moved states and my new one was a lot more focused on activities that I didn't like/was pretty unorganized. I did it for a while but I have never been great with a lot of activities that require dexterity, especially things with scissors. I think having to hand sew some super ugly pillow was the last straw for me. 

Here in Australia we have scouts, and thanks to these posts I looked up the wiki, I never knew as a child I made a promise to God when I joined [emoji848] the promise 'do my best, to do my duty, to my God'. I was never religious growing up (my father seemed to hate religion) but he was the one that wanted me to join! In case anyone is wondering (or cares) I'm female and scouts Australia is for everyone, but we do have girl guides, which is women only.

21 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

True there is no Eagle Scout equivalent for females. It really does, with the outdoor program, promote self reliance. My boys are always there to jump in to help others also. Or maybe that was because they have such a great mother. 

For girls who want to participate it could be a great life experience. Starts I think in 2019. 

It’s my understanding that the Gold Award is the equivalent of Eagle Scout in the Girl Scouts. This was the case when I was a Girl Scout in the 90s, but the curriculum could have changed. I earned the Gold Award as a senior Girl Scout in high school and it was treated as a big deal in the Girl Scout community, not to mention looking really good on a college application. The question is why isn’t the Gold Award as well known as the Eagle Scout? I don’t know, but it seems like many people seem to think that Girl scouting is something you do in elementary school, but not as a teenager, whereas most people know that Eagle Scouts are older boys. There’s also an assumption that Girl Scouting is about crafts and selling cookies and nothing else, which is also false and feeds into the narrative that it’s only for little girls. By the time you get to be a Cadette Scout (middle school), Girl Scouting should really be a self-directed endevour, with the girls planning their own projects based on their respective interests (I believe the same is true of Boy Scouts as well). You get out of Girl Scouting what you out into it. Older Girl Scouts are doing a lot of great and interesting things, but  they don’t get as much attention as their male counterparts for whatever reason.

The religious aspect is different between Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. Boy Scouts have a belief in God as an integral part of their organization, while for Girl Scouts it is not a requirement. "Duty to God" is a cornerstone of Boy Scouts, while the Girl Scouts have publicly stated that they require no religious beliefs. 

ETA- like many people, my first Brownie project was a green vinyl place mat sit-upon. Were they given out to troops in bulk in the 80's?

Of all the girls in my Girl Scout troupe (that I recall) only one remained a Scout into high school and was almost embarrassed to talk about it. Eagle Scouts don't seem to have that stigma. 

Well OF COURSE Derick is mad about scouts. If we allow or encourage young boys to interact with girls in a team setting, that paves the way for these young men to see women as equals from a young age. And if young men start to see young women as people, Derick's misogynistic beliefs and religion will be seriously challenged. It's much harder to convince a person that women are weaker vessels when you grew up watching girls kick butt as Scouts. 

I noticed an entertainment piece speculating how Derick's Bible tweets mean he is cheating on Jill.    I LOLed. (Yes, it's almost certainly false.) BUT...

Derick, when people interpret your words to mean you committed adultery, you ARE NOT using the Bible correctly. 

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

He has no credentials to be a holy person that I can see. What schooling in religion does he have. Whew.

Jim Bob was his prayer partner.

The Gold Award is like an Eagle Scout, but it is not as widely known.  It seems that Girl Scouts change drastically based on your particular troop.  I know many that are outdoor activity based and provide great leadership skills through high school, others people drop out by 13.  I expect because it is so variable it is not as known.  (Boy Scouts can vary too, but there seems to be more consistency at least)

51 minutes ago, Fjrocks said:

I noticed an entertainment piece speculating how Derick's Bible tweets mean he is cheating on Jill.    I LOLed. (Yes, it's almost certainly false.) BUT...

Derick, when people interpret your words to mean you committed adultery, you ARE NOT using the Bible correctly. 

Exclusive gif footage of dWRECK cheating.

Spoiler

W5U7Vut.jpg

Girl Scouts has changed quite a bit recently. The Girl Scout Gold Award is indeed somewhat equivalent to an Eagle Scout award. It has very strict requirements and is not easy to earn. The award is treated the same as Eagle Scout when it comes to college admissions, scholarships and even military rank. If you are an Eagle Scout you enter the military a rank higher. It is the same with the Girl Scout gold award. 

The thing about Girl Scouts I feel is that they are generally treated as an extracurricular activiity by kids and parents rather than a lifelong learning experience and opportunity. I feel if the troops were run in a similar fashion to how Boy Scouts organize their troops and packs it would be exponentially different. Girl Scouts do have troops that are overseen by Service Units but it's done in such a different way than boy scouts with dens, packs and troops. 

My daughter has been a girl scout for 12 years (she's a junior in HS) and the opportunities made available by our state council do not compare on any level to those made available by our Boy Scout council. She's just joined the Venture Crew through my son's boy scout troop. Next summer we're backpacking across Europe for 3 weeks and she and my husband are doing boundary waters for 2 weeks. Girl Scouts has never offered anything like that. 

It is valuable for Girls and I'm glad she's always participated in it. She is working on her Gold award and I do think it's important. I do wish that the local councils offered more support in a way that is similar to boy scouts.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I don’t know, but it seems like many people seem to think that Girl scouting is something you do in elementary school, but not as a teenager, whereas most people know that Eagle Scouts are older boys. There’s also an assumption that Girl Scouting is about crafts and selling cookies and nothing else, which is also false and feeds into the narrative that it’s only for little girls. 

I agree. When I was a Girl Scout, my troop went on hikes, went camping, and did lots of outdoorsy things, in addition to crafting. Some of the other local troops were more into the arts and crafts and homemaking stuff, though. I think I started in third or fourth grade. I liked it, overall, and had a lot of good experiences. I joined with my best friend, so it was a good way for us to spend time together. 

I stopped doing scouting at twelve because I switched to a school across town and didn't have the wherewithal to join a new troop. My troop wound up disintegrating over mean girl drama around that time, anyway. There were originally ten or fifteen of us, and four members were very catty and would exclude others and just be terrible to be around because they were always starting shit. Over the course of sixth grade, all the nice girls jumped ship for a different troop that didn't have so much drama. I stayed in the original one because my bestie was still there (her mom was the leader). It wasn't a great situation; my friend's mom tried to address it with the mean kids' moms, but let's just say the bitchy apples didn't fall far from the bitchy trees. The mean kids eventually quit, and my friend and her mother switched to the other troop for a few years, and then stopped doing it altogether. 

It was a shame, and part of me wishes that I'd stuck with it. If I ever wind up with kids, I'd definitely want them to be involved in scouting, though I'm honestly a little leery of all the GOD AND COUNTRY stuff that the BSA engages in, especially given the extent to which it's been infiltrated by Mormons and fundie-lights. The GSA is way more feminist, open, and inclusive (in theory, anyway). 

I also did girl scouts and also did more outdoor activities, learned first aid that bordered with our boy scouts. But I do agree in the aspects that girl scouts here too were seen for younger kids, while older boys were known for their boy scouts. I didn't continue in high school just because I was doing sports year round.Also, agree on their inclusivity. My dad was a boy scout and at least in brownies he was like you guys don't do anything that I did growing up (he did this int he 60s mind you).

While I think the boy scouts do well in terms of life skills, it's still homophobic/ Christian like (sure they made a stride like two seconds ago that they could have gay leaders but how does one when you only want a Christian leader).

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

There’s also an assumption that Girl Scouting is about crafts and selling cookies and nothing else, which is also false and feeds into the narrative that it’s only for little girls. By the time you get to be a Cadette Scout (middle school), Girl Scouting should really be a self-directed endevour, with the girls planning their own projects based on their respective interests (I believe the same is true of Boy Scouts as well). You get out of Girl Scouting what you out into it. Older Girl Scouts are doing a lot of great and interesting things, but  they don’t get as much attention as their male counterparts for whatever reason.

I tutored a girl who was working towards her Silver Award and it was so much work! Just like Eagle Scout it seems to always be a very involved community service project that the Scout must take the initiative on. I also knew some other Girl Scouts whose leaders were really into camping and hiking, and also one troop leader who was a business owner and so did a bunch of investment and finance projects with them.

Also, Girl Scouts as an organization has always been really feminist and progressive, so I'm protective of them. I wonder how much of it is that GS troops are really all about crafts and selling cookies, or that's just the assumption because they're "just girls." Men always seem to inherently get more respect for their hobbies and endeavors, and I think that starts young.

And does anyone think this is why Mormons announced earlier this year that they were creating their own version of Boy Scouts? Cause they didn't want girls in their troops?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived