IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 6: Sitting in a tree...M.A.R.R.I.E.D!

samurai_sarah

21 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I found the age of 1 to be tough at Disney to be honest, but I didn't have a child who would just nap in the stroller for prolonged periods of time. And anytime you go to WDW, around noon/1 pm all you see are screaming toddlers who should be napping instead, lol.

We are going in a couple of weeks with him, he is now 2. My suggestion is get to the park as soon as it opens and leave by lunch. Have your kid nap back at the hotel, refresh and either go back in the afternoon, or my preferred thing, which is to hang out by the pool for the afternoon before having dinner.

A lot of the parks are open in the evening.  Spend the morning running around.  Go back to the hotel for a nap, perhaps a swim in the pool.  Then back to the parks for the evenings.  Last time just my husband and I went that's how we did it.  We would do the Magic Kingdom at night, and the other parks during the day.  (except the Jungle cruise is closed at night, snif)  It worked out very well.

There are a number of forums out there with advice on visiting the parks with littles.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, calimojo said:

If you do end up taking a toddler, I recommend staying on the property so you can use Disney transportation back to the hotel.  One thing we did during our second trip, was we went back to the hotel mid day,  swam in the pool or just lounged around the hotel.  We stated at Animal Kingdom which is lovely and huge and has lots to do.  We all got refreshed, and cooled off and then we went back in the evening.  The crowds were starting to thin down by then and we had a much more enjoyable experience.  So , if doing Disney with toddlers,  don't be afraid to leave the parks for a few hours, let them decompress, nap, or just zone out for a bit, and then go back a bit later when it cools down  and is less busy. 

This is how we do it, but not for toddlers, for us!! haha. The heat gets ya after a while.

We've been to Disney with an infant, toddlers, school aged kids, and teenagers. It's all about the scheduling.

I'm relatively sure that Universal will have shows in the manner of Disney.. we'd get the kids fed and pottied, and then head for the nearest dark, air-conditioned venue where the adults could sit and rest, and the kids could, and usually did, nap... worked like a charm, and the youngest ones even slept through hugely loud shows under a canopy. It's all in the timing... Find a place to sit, fill their bellies, stop moving, NAP!!

Strollers are wonderful. IF you have a couple bits of velcro on you, you can tie the souvenir bags to the stroller handle and not have to carry them, or you can of course send them back to the hotel, if you stay on property, or carry a backpack..Kids riding in strollers, ride at Disney. Kids who "I walk by myself" ride in strollers at Disney, if you make it clear you do not carry at Disney. The road is long, and they get tired.

TTTT, those dark venues and longer shows (30-45 minutes) were usually enough for me to get a nap or at least recharged!

Not going to lie, I know exactly where and what time in the day to do certain attractions at Disney World so I can recharge myself with a quick nap in a dark, air conditioned place. Adults need naps too, y'all!

I think I really like Kendra. It feels like she said in every video that she's looking forward to the first kiss :D which is kinda cute, I think. She is very innocent and looks like she could never hurt anyone ^^ 

25 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

No to derail from all the Disney talk, but San Diego has Free October for Kids. Kids eat, play and stay free. All the parks/zoos/museums etc are free. Hotels don't charge for kids, and restaurants feed kids for free. 

https://www.sandiego.org/promotions/kids-free.aspx

http://www.visitcalifornia.com/event/kids-free-san-diego

That is amazing! Is this a new thing or do they do this every October?  Mr Heathen has family in SD.

@Jenn The Heathen Not sure how long this has been going on but it is every October. We did it with the Grandkids 3 years ago. Saved a ton of money. Next summer, we are taking the 2 oldest, 14 and 11, to Hawaii. Wish Hawaii did free kids....lololol.

On 27/09/2017 at 2:03 AM, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

(snip)

so far my bf and I have been to NYC and Denver together, 4 nights each. This summer after I finish the first round of my board examinations, we are planning to spend a full week in the Washington state/pacific NW area (we are from TX so thus far any summer travels have been a welcome climate change!). We are aiming to do a yearly vacation of some sort - our next domestic destinations will probably be New Orleans, and then Florida for Harry Potter world haha - at least until we have school-aged kids.

(snip)

If you do New Orleans, please be careful.  Take taxi's, stay in the quarter ( It really is not that expensive) , eat locally (Emeril's is not local but Parasol's is as are many good mom and pop's) K-Paul's is sooo good that you might wind up there a few times.  My suggestion is to eat at the hotel breakfast, do lunch locally and do a light dinner or go to one of the clubs in the quarter to see the hoochie, koochie shows. (Once again safety first.  Use a cab) World class zoo, Aquarium and Insectarium.   Trip down the river on a paddleboad.  Get a box of                pralines and don't share with anyone.

+1 on all the New Orleans advice. Also:  I love Mulate's for some Cajun food. And I disagree on the box of pralines. Get two boxes. Or three. And you MUST have beignets at Cafe du Monde for breakfast EVERY DAY. lol (Just don't wear black.)

@NewOrleansLady

@SapphireSlytherin

Thanks for the New Orleans tips :) I've only been once before and that was on a school trip haha so sometimes in the near future I definitely want to go again. Unfortunately no pralines for me - allergic :/ - but everything else is duly noted! I've told my boyfriend he gets one free day of drunken debauchery and bar crawling, and then he has to do museums and dorky stuff with me haha. For sure planning to soak up delicious local eateries, and yes beignets!

On 9/27/2017 at 11:51 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

If you make it to Portland, Oregon and you like reading, I recommend stopping by Powell's City of Books for an hour or so. It's quite an experience. :)

Oh I loved Powell's and Elliott Bay Books.  There was a terrific one across the street from the Amtrak station in Denver, but I forgot the name.

Here we only have one really good independent book store left, Kramer's which has a restaurant attached. It is open to the wee hours of the morning and was a great place to go after concerts way back when I did that kind of thing. 

12 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Oh I loved Powell's and Elliott Bay Books.  There was a terrific one across the street from the Amtrak station in Denver, but I forgot the name.

Here we only have one really good independent book store left, Kramer's which has a restaurant attached. It is open to the wee hours of the morning and was a great place to go after concerts way back when I did that kind of thing. 

Is it Tattered Cover?

There is a very cool WWll Museum in New Orleans

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/plan-a-visit-bg?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Desktop%3A Museum Branded (In-market, bottom kws) AM&utm_term=wwii museum in new orleans&utm_content=WWII Museum New Orleans

Across he street in a huge building with WWll Planes, ambulances, etc in it. We spent quite a bit of time there. 

3 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

If I found the right bookstore, it says that they're open until 3am. That sounds just amazing! :)

@Chickenbutt I love WWII museums. There's a great one in Eldred, Pa. The owner actually gave my husband and me a tour. He has displays set up to honor the individuals that fought in the war. If family donates their loved one's uniforms and tells him what their role in the war was he sets up a memorial to them in the museum with pictures and everything. He trys to make history come alive for the kids. My husband is actually getting into World War II reenactment.

10 hours ago, Londish said:

Is it Tattered Cover?

Sounds familiar, but it has been a long time and my memory is dusty. Dusty like Jared Kushner's 

1 hour ago, Firebird said:

@Chickenbutt I love WWII museums. There's a great one in Eldred, Pa. The owner actually gave my husband and me a tour. He has displays set up to honor the individuals that fought in the war. If family donates their loved one's uniforms and tells him what their role in the war was he sets up a memorial to them in the museum with pictures and everything. He trys to make history come alive for the kids. My husband is actually getting into World War II reenactment.

Obviously, I have absolutely no say about your husband's recreational activities, but may I politely offer a story? My grandparents were all, in their ways, veterans of WW2. The German grandparents were, well, on the German side. The Korean grandparents were on the Japanese side, against their will. My parents' marriage was politically complicated thanks to that, and growing up in a small German village I was always keenly aware of the lasting scars of WW2. It was hard not to be, when your grandparents, their friends and relatives constantly talked about it, and you got talks in school about staying out of the leftover bunkers. And that was the 1990s.

I moved to the UK, and one evening went for a stroll in a local park with my then-boyfriend, now-husband. We accidentally strolled into a WW2 re-enactment. Now, I think it is very important for us to learn from history, and I love re-enactment. Everyone was very nice, took time to explain stuff to us, but I had a visceral reaction to seeing people in SS uniforms. It made me physically sick.

Of course, a re-enactment wouldn't be complete without that facet, but it felt "too soon" for me. Too soon, too personal, too sudden. Well, we were going for a romantic stroll and hadn't planned on this. And of course I know that no one there was going to murder me for my political convictions, my ethnicity or anything, but it felt too raw to cope with.

I'm not trying to tell your husband not to do it, but am politely asking that he shows the greatest sensitivity in portraying this horrid time. If I reacted that badly, I don't want to know what others would be going through if they stumbled on the same thing.

In all likelihood, this post is redundant, since both you and your husband already know. Indulge me, please. I'd rather say it once too often than not enough that WW2 isn't ancient history.

Tattered Cover still has a few locations if I remember correctly. Cherry Creek, City Park and they have one in the new Union Station build out that I saw last time I was in Denver. Such a great bookstore. 

I've been taking notes of a lot of your books so thanks for the suggestions :)

Also JoKen are in Greece for at least part of their honeymoon

Spoiler

On 9/28/2017 at 9:25 PM, Chickenbutt said:

@Jenn The Heathen Not sure how long this has been going on but it is every October. We did it with the Grandkids 3 years ago. Saved a ton of money. Next summer, we are taking the 2 oldest, 14 and 11, to Hawaii. Wish Hawaii did free kids....lololol.

Hawaii is super kid friendly and since they're teenagers I'm sure they'll love the beaches/ surfing lessons etc. We used to live there, so it's always nice to go back. We had all of Hawaiian twist on the classic story books by Donivee Lard, I just read the Three Little Pigs and the Magic Shark, to my niece this week :) So if you've got littles, it's a very fun series!

I hope Joe and Kendra enjoyed Greece, it's a beautiful country and the people are welcoming to the point you feel like family. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived