IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 6: Sitting in a tree...M.A.R.R.I.E.D!

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think the family went to Disney, not sure which one, when the kids were small. 14 kids, maybe?

Yes they did go to Disneyland and film it in the early days. BUT they of course had to do it Duggar-style and it was super awkward. You could tell it wasn't their idea and that the kids didn't know who most of the characters were. If I remember correctly they didn't go on any rides with things like witches in them (Snow White) and had to avoid characters like Jasmine (because Nike). I think they were only there a half day too.  There were a lot of blank Duggar stares.

DH and I honeymooned at WDW and on a Disney cruise and it was fantastic. Crazy $$ though.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only been to WDW with kids once. Every other time with adults. Epcot Food and Wine festival was great fun. Harry Potter at Universal a must. Even better for us, adult children worked at both places = tremendous savings for us.

My parents were Disney honeymooners and when they found out they were having a honeymoon baby, told everyone they were going to name him Walt. Took seven months for Mum to get joint spouse assignment, so they were pretty positive on when.

We did a Disney cruise when I was five, still one of our most beloved family vacations. Plenty for the kids to do in the group rooms so mom and dad can play. I distinctly remember being awed by the midnight chocolate buffet with ice sculptures, winning the big bingo prize at night, my brothers learning to juggle and getting to be the magician's assistant (those Shirley Temple ringlets served me well as a child).  Only vaguely traumatizing thing was my brothers using my backpack to smuggle a turtle on the ship and when my parents gave the turtle back, my backpack went with it.

On 9/22/2017 at 4:29 PM, faraway said:

I'm LOLing so hard at this. You know you're too young to get married if that's where people think your honeymoon will be. :pb_lol:  As the fundie wedding age gets lower I'm just picturing some of these fundie kidults at legoland for their honeymoon. 

Nothing wrong with going to DIsney World for your honeymoon!

Just now, 728011 said:

Nothing wrong with going to DIsney World for your honeymoon!

No their is not. My friend is a Disney freak!!  (Loves all the movies). Had never been till she went on her honeymoon. 

On 9/22/2017 at 4:29 PM, faraway said:

I'm LOLing so hard at this. You know you're too young to get married if that's where people think your honeymoon will be. :pb_lol:  As the fundie wedding age gets lower I'm just picturing some of these fundie kidults at legoland for their honeymoon. 

Huh? Disney is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations on the planet...

I live in Florida and the Orlando theme parks are some of my favorite places to go.  Disney World is DEFINITELY a huge honeymoon destination.  I don't ever remember going without seeing someone sporting a "Celebrating Happily Ever After" pins and the bride and groom Mickey and Minnie ears.

I don't have kids, and most of my friends don't, and we're regulars.  Plenty to do there for adults.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Huh? Disney is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations on the planet...

That does seem like a very US thing. I live in Europe and don't know anyone who honeymooned at Disney, Eurodisney is struggling anyways and the climate isn't warm. It's mostly just families going. I don't know anyone who honeymooned at Disney, most people choose nice beach destinations.

I do think it's hilarious and ironic if teenage brides/grooms have their honeymoon in a place like Disney, that doesn't mean I find grown-ups at Disney strange. I'd go any day. 

I loved Disney World and Disneyland as a kid. My parents had as much fun as their kids going on rides together and seeing the different parts of the park. It was so much fun. 

3 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

I live in Florida and the Orlando theme parks are some of my favorite places to go.  Disney World is DEFINITELY a huge honeymoon destination.  I don't ever remember going without seeing someone sporting a "Celebrating Happily Ever After" pins and the bride and groom Mickey and Minnie ears.

I don't have kids, and most of my friends don't, and we're regulars.  Plenty to do there for adults.

My husband and I went to Disney World for our honeymoon and it was absolutely wonderful. In fact, we'll be back soon as I'm running the wine and dine half marathon and we'll be partaking in the food and wine festival. We went for our honeymoon right after New Years and saw TONS of couples of all ages sporting "happily ever after" buttons. I definitely think it's for some people more than others, but I really think it's more about personality and vacation preferences than either age or maturity. 

Mr. May and I did Disney/Universal for our honeymoon and it was amazing (dare I say magical?) We originally joked about it but after a minute realized it was a pretty good idea. Honestly it was perfect for us, I wanted somewhere warm but Mr. May isn't fussy on beaches or pools Disney meant we actually got to do things together. As a bonus we were there at Christmas so there was all the seasonal stuff (candlelight processional, fake snow etc) I wouldn't do it again (crowds!) But am so glad that we did. 

Please excuse my awkward wording. Lack of sleep is catching up to me and I'm not the most articulate when I'm over tired. 

@faraway i was thinking it seemed like a US thing rather than world too but hats off to people, it’s not cheap and if it’s something they really want to do a honeymoon is probably the right time. All the UK people I’ve heard of either go for beaches or European cities (Barcelona, Paris, Rome etc) so Disney definitely sounds a bit different (but fun!)

6 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

All the UK people I’ve heard of either go for beaches or European cities (Barcelona, Paris, Rome etc) so Disney definitely sounds a bit different (but fun!)

We did both! Although we went to Universal not Disney. Spent most of our honeymoon on the Florida coast and on the last day went to Universal (I prefer Universal over Disney because Wizarding World). Best of both worlds.

Well, I'm Canadian, but yeah - it would make sense that people in North America would tend to go to Disney World more than Europeans. It's a lot easier (and less expensive) when you're on the same continent. They definitely get a huge number of overseas visitors, though.

I went to Disney twice, once right before I turned 13, and once over my 16th birthday. I'd like to go back as an adult, but I'd probably just spend one day at Animal Kingdom, one day at Epcot, maybe an evening at Downtown Disney, and then the final couple days at Universal Studios. I've never been, and I'd love to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. :) 

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I've never been, and I'd love to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Let me know when you go and I'll meet you there. It's perfect!

I also just toured the WB studio in London (well, Leavesden, actually) and it was incredible! I got to stand in the Great Hall! I went into Dumbledore's office!!! omg

On 9/23/2017 at 1:28 PM, Seculardaisy said:

Nah its not an age thing, I'm 27 and I can't wait to ditch the kids to take an adults only trip to Disney with my husband. It's fricken fun! I am certain we will still feel this way ten to thirty years from now.

My husband and I just got back from a adults only Disneyland vaca about a week or so ago! Celebrated our 10th, and it was AWESOME, we never want to take the kids on vacay with us again! (but we will) (kids are almost 5 and 8.5)

ETA: my husband is a Disney freak and we are DVC members too :)

I don't remember if this was ever discussed, but if so, it was quite a while ago. One of the videos with Jana interviewing (talking to) Joe & Kendra said that Jana and Kendra met on a missions trip to CA (as usual) when Kendra was 14. She appears in some of the photos from Lily and Ellie's blog from January 2013. She looks super fresh-faced, and as she noted in the blog, wasn't then wearing makeup. She and Joy definitely look about the same age there, which is reasonable, sine they're just a year apart. Found her dad, too.     http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2013/02/duggars-central-america-2013-part-2.html 

Spoiler

Kendra in CA 2.JPG

Kendra in CA 3.JPG

Kendra in CA 1.JPG

Kendra's Dad in CA.JPG

Disney doesn't scream "honeymoon!" to me. I know a lot of adults that love going there, but never any that honeymooned there. (babymoons though..)

I do remember the Duggar Disney episode, Michelle seemed to the the one most excited about everything because she watched all of it. The kids all kind of stared)

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Let me know when you go and I'll meet you there. It's perfect!

I also just toured the WB studio in London (well, Leavesden, actually) and it was incredible! I got to stand in the Great Hall! I went into Dumbledore's office!!! omg

I took my class on a school trip there. We saw loads of thing they don't put out as well, best school trip ever!

We go to Disney every year.  Our yearly trip is mere 19 days away.  We save money by using my father in law’s time share and stay just off site with a rental car. If we stayed onsite, it would have be to an every other year trip.

The past two years we’ve taken a day to do one of the universal parks.  While I love the rides and theming of the HP parts of both parks, the rest of both Universal Studios and IOA leave something to be desired.  I think it’s their heavy reliance on virtual reality and 3D rides.  My youngest son and I wind up queasy by the end of the day.  This year we’re skipping Universal completely.

My BFF and her husband went to Disney World on their honeymoon, but they're the only ones I know, personally, who have done so. I have never been and likely won't go. I'm a Harry Potter fan, not a Mickey Mouse fan.

All this Disneyland/Disney World conversation is making me jealous. I want to go!

I've been to Tokyo Disneyland. I was travelling alone but it wasn't too bad because I got to go in all the single rider lines. Mickey was extra dramatic about how tall I was, and I got a cool mouse ear headband I wear around the house when I'm bored.

I'd totally go to Disneyland/world on a honeymoon. Being stuck on a beach/on some small island somewhere is not my idea of fun. Need to be out doing exciting things!

Re: the Oatmeal cookies video. Most boring cooking show EVER. They look cute together and very happy, but they need to master the art of fun banter between baking tasks.

That being said, when Kendra fed Joe a cookie and said something about 'fitting the whole thing in there,' it made a pretty good 'that's what she said' moment.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived