IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 6: Sitting in a tree...M.A.R.R.I.E.D!

samurai_sarah

13 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

Gotta say, Harry Potter world in Universal as an adult is pretty great. Not gonna lie, I cried when I first stepped in to Diagon Alley. Walking into a world that had such a massive impact on your life... it was surreal. Then I spent the next few days being day drunk and having fun. The earl gray and lavender ice cream at Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlor is incredible. Theme parks as an adult are even more fun than theme parks as a kid, especially if you avoid school breaks...

I may have the opportunity to go soon, any advice? My main concern is it would be me and my husband plus our 1 year old. Is it worth it dragging the kiddo around, is there anything for him, and will we even get to take full advantage of the park? Plus we'd likely only have 1 day, factor in baby naps, ugh I don't want to waste the money but I don't want to miss the chance to go either!!! 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bawled my eyes out when I saw Hogwarts in Hogsmeade.

I wouldn't even think of taking a baby to that park. There is a Dr. Seuss part that might be OK for him, but if you only have one day, and want to do the HP thing, well...

Here are some blogs that give specific details on the HP parts:

https://barnestormers.wordpress.com/2016/09/30/harry-potter-only-at-universal-studios-and-islands-of-adventure-a-definitive-how-to-for-muggles/

http://www.wilsontravelblog.com/wizarding-world-harry-potter-universal/

http://www.worldofwanderlust.com/visiting-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/

57 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

Gotta say, Harry Potter world in Universal as an adult is pretty great. Not gonna lie, I cried when I first stepped in to Diagon Alley. Walking into a world that had such a massive impact on your life... it was surreal. Then I spent the next few days being day drunk and having fun. The earl gray and lavender ice cream at Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlor is incredible. Theme parks as an adult are even more fun than theme parks as a kid, especially if you avoid school breaks...

Totally agree!!!! it's fabulous!

52 minutes ago, GotCaughtDancing said:

Kendra "I think I like to make dinner"

Joe "Yeah, I like home cooked foods"

Woman: "Sure, I love home-making."

Man: "I like foooood."

Ughhhh. (Please don't think I have anything against cooking. I actually really like it. I just think it's incredibly telling that Kendra answered that she likes doing the work, and Joe answered that he likes the food better.)

@AnnEggBlandHer? Universal is definitely designed for older kids and adults. There's a Dr. Seuss area for younger kids, but even that's better for the 2-8 set, not babies and toddlers. Harry Potter World itself has nothing for little kids. I spend one full day just at Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, and there's still the rest of the parks... so basically what I'm saying is, Harry Potter World with a small child in tow sounds very, very difficult. 

47 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Even Disney isn't really designed for little kids.  Don't they recommend you wait until they are 4?

Not at all. My mom group is pretty much all kids under aged 4 and we all have annual passes (we live in the Orlando area) there's tons of stuff for the smaller ones to do and see!

2 hours ago, AnnEggBlandHer? said:

I may have the opportunity to go soon, any advice? My main concern is it would be me and my husband plus our 1 year old. Is it worth it dragging the kiddo around, is there anything for him, and will we even get to take full advantage of the park? Plus we'd likely only have 1 day, factor in baby naps, ugh I don't want to waste the money but I don't want to miss the chance to go either!!! 

I would say no, it wouldn't be worth it. :( I have a 2 year old. I prefer Universal over Disney myself, but we chose to get Disney annual passes because there is definitely way more for a toddler to enjoy at Disney than Universal. But that's me. I also wouldn't want you to miss the opportunity to go though so it's up to you!

3 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Gotta say, Harry Potter world in Universal as an adult is pretty great. Not gonna lie, I cried when I first stepped in to Diagon Alley. Walking into a world that had such a massive impact on your life... it was surreal.

When they opened the second half of the Wizarding World, my sister and I went during the first week. We have a video of us giggling like maniacs as we passed through the wall to Platform 9 3/4 and skipped onto the Hogwarts Express for the first time. I was 25 (I think) at the time. It was amazing. I've also gone by myself which is just as fun.

2 minutes ago, likejana86 said:

on instagram  daily.duggar posted a couples of pictures of kendra and joe .. honeymoon in panama

Didn't see that one coming. 

Thank you for everyone's input re: Harry Potter World! I was kind of thinking it wouldn't be manageable with my son but I appreciate hearing from people who have been there. I'll get there someday! 

Little late here, but I wanted to recommend everyone going to Hiroshima and Osaka to try out okonomiyaki in both places. Both places have their own okonomiyaki style but they're both great! Definitely recommend, I would travel to Japan again just for the food.

This is the restaurant we went to in Hiroshima, Google Maps is on the bottom of the page. The Memorial Peace Park is in walking distance, so you could combine them.

ETA: I went to Japan 3 years ago, but this restaurant made such a lasting impression I could easily locate it on Google maps lol. Note that it has a little bit of a shabby exterior, there's only one door, no windows, and looking in through the doorway it's kinda dark so you can't really see inside. But the place is great, really friendly staff, we actually ended up going there twice in our 5-day stay.

5 hours ago, GotCaughtDancing said:

Exactly where are these people eating that the quality would be less than tater tot casserole and BBQ tuna?  :pb_lol:

Their definition of quality food may be unique.

gahhh all this talk of travel is making me so envious :my_cry: i'll just sit here mired in my eternal student loan debt that is still growing......lol.

so far my bf and I have been to NYC and Denver together, 4 nights each. This summer after I finish the first round of my board examinations, we are planning to spend a full week in the Washington state/pacific NW area (we are from TX so thus far any summer travels have been a welcome climate change!). We are aiming to do a yearly vacation of some sort - our next domestic destinations will probably be New Orleans, and then Florida for Harry Potter world haha - at least until we have school-aged kids. We've also decided we're not taking our future children to Disneyland/world until they are all old enough to remember it.....and we want 3 kids each spaced 2-4 years apart....so the oldest will just have to wait :my_angel:

in terms of travel internationally, I've only been out of the US a few times since childhood. A trip to Saigon with my mother's family, a 10-day rapid-dash tour of France/Switzerland/Italy with my mom and grandma, and a couple missions trips in central/caribbean america. I'm hoping to do an elective for school in Costa Rica in a couple years, and the bf and I hope to honeymoon in Spain or Italy! Nothing else in the forseeable future but....it'll happen eventually! 

I'm not too into traveling for various reasons, but I've wanted to go to Harry Potter World in Universal from the time it opened and I still haven't been able to! 

I got to go to a conference in Kissimmee during my senior year of undergrad and my research advisor scheduled a day away from the conference for a fun activity.  I tried so hard to convince him to have us go to Harry Potter World, but the other student in my group had gone the year before and didn't want to go again.  We ended up going to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs.  It was nice, but I'm still angry that I didn't get to go to Harry Potter World!  

We're HOPING for a trip to Disney/Universal/Epcot and Kennedy Space Center in the next year or so. I want to take my granddaughter (the engineering geek one) so it would have to be around her school schedule. I also have Johnson Space Center, Ames (now Glenn), Marshall Space centers, another trip to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, and a few more geek vacations. 

HOWEVER...my plans may not come to fruition...I'm still jacked up from this damn car accident. All that walking ain't gonna happen. 

What I remember about my one and only trip to Disney World when I was 7:

- On the spinning teacup ride, I got so sick. My aunt kept saying, "Look down at your socks. Just keep looking at the pretty butterflies on your socks."

- Having to either wash my hands or at least use a baby wipe to clean them every 5 minutes or so because germs. My aunt: "Don't touch that. It's got germs."

- Not being able to swim in the pool at our hotel because my little brother pulled the skin off a big blister I had on my arm. I might've gotten germs from the pool in it.

-My aunt calling Poison Control because I bit through a plastic glowstick necklace. My mouth was glowing green, and she thought I might die.

- On the way back home, it was raining heavily. The car hydroplaned and spun out on a bridge. My great grandfather peed his pants; I was sitting beside him and let's just say we both got soaked. 

Fun memories. :pb_lol:

Hubby and I did Universal a few years back, as they were building the second half of the Harry Potter extravaganza. HP and the Forbidden Journey (the ride you walk through Hogwarts just to get on)  made us both (and Hubby is a coaster junkie) pretty ill. Dizziness and nausea for more than an hour coming off of it. But if I could just walk through it over and over, it's incredible. Of course we had butterbeer (was ok). Both the line for Olivanders and wand prices were INSANE so we just walked through. We did buy a chocolate frog! Liked the Transformers and Mummy rides. Went during the annual Mardi Gras celebration and the food and parade were great! We are planning on going back this spring with the kiddos. Note to others: try and wiggle out time to go while most places are IN school. Off peak times means shorter lines and more time to do stuff! Wait until kiddos are at least 5 to do Universal. 

Spent 3 days at Disney earlier this year and while it was absolutely amazing, by the 3rd day I was pretty 'Mouse'd' out. And seeing as hubby and I are major foodies, we weren't impressed with the restaurants, even at Epcot. But the kids loved it, and we went on a week where they'd only miss like 3 days of school (coming back to school Tues from break and having Friday off for federal holiday) so we had very short lines and room to move/breathe. Another tip, stay on a Disney property! The pools/waterparks alone are worth spending a day, and Extra Magic Hours are NICE.

Haha river cruises do not have the best reputation here in Europe.

There are exclusively old people on those trips. And I am not talking about the pensioners that go on 'normal' cruises, but really old people. Like 80+ and in wheelchairs. :my_biggrin:

GryffindorDisappointment got sick on the Escape From Gringotts ride, so I told her there’s no way she’d have handled the Forbidden Journey. I love both rides and don’t get sick. She did ride the Dragon Challenge with no problem though. And we both actually thought Flight of the Hippogriff was fun. Lol

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

We're HOPING for a trip to Disney/Universal/Epcot and Kennedy Space Center in the next year or so. I want to take my granddaughter (the engineering geek one) so it would have to be around her school schedule. I also have Johnson Space Center, Ames (now Glenn), Marshall Space centers, another trip to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, and a few more geek vacations. 

HOWEVER...my plans may not come to fruition...I'm still jacked up from this damn car accident. All that walking ain't gonna happen. 

I have done both Johnson and Kennedy space center. Kennedy is far and above the better attraction. It was amazing how they displayed the past and future of space to make a very entertaining place. 

Harry Potter World will always hold a piece of my heart, not only because of my obsession with the books, but because it was there that I realized I could actually stomach (and that i enjoyed) rollercoasters. 

I want to go back so badly. 

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

GryffindorDisappointment got sick on the Escape From Gringotts ride, so I told her there’s no way she’d have handled the Forbidden Journey. I love both rides and don’t get sick. She did ride the Dragon Challenge with no problem though. And we both actually thought Flight of the Hippogriff was fun. Lol

Escape from Gringotts was ok for me in the sick dept (and I can't do spinny type rides) but the one in the castle (is that Forbidden Journey?) , I was almost sick.... two more minutes and ugh, it would have been a terrible rest of the day!

13 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

so far my bf and I have been to NYC and Denver together, 4 nights each. This summer after I finish the first round of my board examinations, we are planning to spend a full week in the Washington state/pacific NW area (we are from TX so thus far any summer travels have been a welcome climate change!)

Let me know if you need any Seattle tips from a fellow quasi-Texan :) I've recs already written out for everyone who comes through since my cousin decided on getting married on an Alaskan cruise without ever having been out to the PNW!

Seeking tips from you SF Bay area folks: I'll be down there on Friday for an interview. Any lunch recommendations near the Financial District and South Beach (or closer to the airport)? Looks like I'll have enough time to grab some yummy food before trotting to the airport for a later flight. Feel free to just DM so I don't clog the thread! 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived