IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 4: Aren't They Married Yet? Yes, they are. Pictures inside.

Coconut Flan

The wedding is probably on right now! I hope some paparazzi pictures will leak, just like as for Jinger's wedding.

There will probably be a lot of announcements this year:

Joesph's wedding

Birth of M5

Joy gender reveal

Jessa pregnancy announcement

Jinger pregnancy announcement

Kendra pregancy announcement

Josiah courtship

JD courthip

Next Duggar wedding? June 2018: Josiah

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lurky said:

So, re it being incredibly hard to change beliefs.  I don't know how much I buy into that, because we do see the de-Fundy-isation all the time (the Muncks, the Garrisons, the Jeubs, the Shupes right now).

[Snip]

Of course, I would never, ever want any of the Fundies to experience suffering - but I don't believe that just because they've been raised Quiverfull, they'll all have 10+ children, because there are so many variables.  And for sure, mega-families were the norm in the past (both my grandmothers had 12+ living siblings) BUT there was an awful lot more infant mortality/birth complications too, so even giving birth 13 times didn't mean raising 13 children.

I think it's fairly common for people raised fundamentalist to reject their beliefs, but it's usually hard regardless. I'm sure there are a few who can just shrug and say, "I don't believe that anymore" but man, being raised in a cult like that does a number on your brain. The guilt and fear and shame can be absolutely horrendous to get past, even if you're highly motivated. There are liberal atheists who came from a background like that and still wrestle with those emotions and thoughts and the trauma of leaving.

I think the second generation Duggars actually have a lot less incentive than most fundies to reject their indoctrination because it's worked out really well for them - they're wealthy, comfortable, and big-wigs in their community. They also have a lot more to lose by rejecting the cult due to being in the public eye and their financial stability being mainly derived from the Duggar brand. 

Re: higher infant mortality/complications back in the 'good old days' - absolutely. But someone mentioned Catholic families from around 1900-1965, and they were spot on. Having 13 children often did mean raising 13 children. Or sometimes it meant having 18 children and raising 14. My one great-grandmother had 14 children from 1900-1925 and every single one of them lived to adulthood (funnily enough, she wasn't Catholic....) - my other great-grandmother had about 14-16 (not sure of the exact number) and raised 12. It was really, really common. Rejection of birth control + better healthcare + highly politicized religious pressure to have as many babies as possible = huge families.

Some of the Duggars are bound to reject quiverfull ideology, but for those who don't, watch out. Having 12, 14, 16+ children is absolutely not out of the question.

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

But someone mentioned Catholic families from around 1900-1965, and they were spot on.

I was in a townland in the west of Ireland for the Millenium, and there were three ladies having a joint family reunion.

They had over 200 descendants between them there - and I don't know if any didn't make it to the party...

I have crazy fertility. I could have had twenty kids if I'd put my mind to it a la Michelle. Or if I'd lived a hundred years ago. It often upsets ttc people to hear that. But super fertility comes with its own set of problems.

9 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I was in a townland in the west of Ireland for the Millenium, and there were three ladies having a joint family reunion.

They had over 200 descendants between them there - and I don't know if any didn't make it to the party...

I have about 75 first cousins between both sides. It's pretty standard here for my generation or older!

Long  long long ago (and many pounds ago) my satin wedding  dress was similar to Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's

46413.jpg

On 9/6/2017 at 9:30 AM, habert said:

I betcha the wedding is this weekend. Which makes me wonder when Anna's due date is/was. If she just had a baby or at risk of going into labor during the time of the wedding, makes think she won't make an appearance. I don't know. Has anyone else gone to a wedding with a 1 week old or knowing you could go into labor in the middle of the ceremony?

I've never seen a newborn or a woman about to go into labor at a wedding, but these people don't exactly have lots of sense. Plus going into labor at a wedding would be great for ratings...can't you just see JB pressuring a 9 months pregnant Anna into going to the wedding, and yammering on about what a great testimony it would be to give birth when a new couple starts their life together? A new life being born into a celebration of life. Show the couple the many blessings they have to look forward to.

On 9/6/2017 at 1:44 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Or maybe they all pee on one stick and try to guess who's pregnant?!?!?

This is amazing. Don't give them any ideas.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:04 PM, Jinder Roles said:

@sorchah NO! Kendra has to wear a mint wedding dress! The white will clash with her rainbow poop emoji earrings. 

I'm glad the rainbow poop earrings I found are remembered, and I SEVERELY hope Kendra wears them on her special day.

4 hours ago, Teaistheway said:

Nice idea but do brides want to be 'surprised' by their dress on their actual wedding day?

Not me. I'd be so pissed.

Do the ruffles on Kendra's mom's dress remind anyone else of condom dresses, or is it just me?

Spoiler

o-CONDOM-DRESS-facebook.jpg

b8e5937cc2ade888e1256569b69a114f--fashio

I suddenly want this to be the next unconventional materials challenge on Project Runway...

Awesome, wedding's today, something to take my mind off the hurricane that's about to come barreling through my state! I wonder where they plan to honeymoon?

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Wow. Kendra's mom's dress looks water repellent.

Appropriate considering the massive hurricane hitting the states this weekend

1 hour ago, Irishy said:

I have about 75 first cousins between both sides. It's pretty standard here for my generation or older!

That's nuts. I can't imagine having that many. I only have 2 first cousins. They are MORE then enough. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The way I read it, she has her own dress but part of her mother's dress was added to the bottom. Am I reading it wrong?

After rereading it, it seems that way. My bad! It's still nice that they're incorporating a part of her mom's dress, although if it were me, I feel like I'd be a bit sad at my dress being torn apart. 

6 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

After rereading it, it seems that way. My bad! It's still nice that they're incorporating a part of her mom's dress, although if it were me, I feel like I'd be a bit sad at my dress being torn apart. 

The Duggars keep cutting up the underneath skirt layer of the wedding dress Michelle and grandma Duggar wore and putting the piece on each Duggar daughter's wedding dress. There won't be much of the under skirt left by the time they get to Josie. 

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Duggars keep cutting up the underneath skirt layer of the wedding dress Michelle and grandma Duggar wore and putting the piece on each Duggar daughter's wedding dress. There won't be much of the under skirt left by the time they get to Josie. 

Maybe it can just be the veil to her lightup crown

1. YES! Condoms! Exactly what those ruffles look like. I hope it's just bad lighting on the photograph.

2. Water repellent AND a condom dress.... Oh My My My...

3.  So she took Joy's patchwork dress idea too?  No clue what this means--can someone explain? Ditto adding to each dress till Josie only gets a veil??????

4. So IS the wedding really today?

Is this tweet an attempt to distract from the wedding then? Hopefully the misssion trip will have allowed them to get to know each other better but I do wonder how the timings have been altered.

8 minutes ago, purplepeony said:

Is this tweet an attempt to distract from the wedding then? Hopefully the misssion trip will have allowed them to get to know each other better but I do wonder how the timings have been altered.

Knowing how this show works it could have been their honeymoon and now they're filming a pretend wedding!

The panama trip was a while ago already. their friend Nicole who goes to their church posted on Instagram when they just arrived there and that was on august 16th. Also, based on her insta they've been back for a while now. I'm pretty sure they're just trying to throw us off

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

That's nuts. I can't imagine having that many. I only have 2 first cousins. They are MORE then enough. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The younger girls weren't raised by Michelle, so they can have part of their sisterreal-moms' dresses

1 hour ago, VGL said:

A distant cousin in England had ruffles like that on her wedding dress in the early 90's.

I found a collection of 90's wedding dresses here.  Posted by Transgender Bridal Photos no less!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/transgenderbridalphotos/sets/72157663885924860/with/24542056809/

A few of those dresses were kind of pretty. The simpler the dress, the prettier I thought it was. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived