IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 30 - On a Mission from GOD!

choralcrusader8613

4 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm still of the opinion they shouldn't get money from this. Jill and Jessa are at fault for making it eaiser to identify who was who. *shrugs* if they were suing to change the process that would be one thing but it's money they're after.

Why shouldn't they sue? The damage, that being their identities being easily discerned from the reports, was already done? Should we expect them to just sit by and smile and not seek punishment for those who maliciously released poorly redacted reports?  

I don't care what anyone says, releasing those reports without any thought to the privacy of their victims was malicious. They did it for publicity for the magazines and that it isn't okay. I don't believe for one second they released the reports to simply make people aware of Josh's crimes. 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Wow. They should've thrown all of it out, IMO. Does anyone think this will actually go to trial? 

If they survive summary judgement motions best guess is they will settle. 

This ruling was on a motion to dismiss because based on governmental immunity. It basically just rules that not all the governmental entities have immunity on all the causes of action. It's nearly impossible to win a motion to dismiss early on because the standard to win is exceptionally high since courts would prefer to at least let things go to discovery unless there is no basis or potential basis to win. They will do discovery the there will be motions for summary judgment and more causes of action and defendants will get out and certain elements of some causes of action will be decided in favor for the plaintiffs. That's normal by trial there will only be one or two issues to decide.

22 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I am curious what our legal minds here think of it though. Does the state statute trump FOIA? Would the statute only apply to certain reports and documentation that were released? And what about Bauer Media, which was listed as a defendant. Would this ruling mean anything to the case against them?

My best guess is yes. Keep in mind the FOIA law discussed here is the Arkansas state FOIA law so they are both state laws. I don't have any specific knowledge of how Arkansas handles she two laws seem to conflict but  knowledge of how these things are generally handled elsewhere and the judges quote leads me to yes. The more interesting part of article to me was how he was letting the constitutional claims continue since I have long felt those are the best claims.

Seemed like the best place to put this. Excuse me while I try to unstick my eyes from the rolled down the ceiling position. [emoji849]

It's like they could be pro-life for our people in PR right now, but let me fake care about some babies only when they're born!

The same people who don't believe in government assistance, yet they have the audacity to label themselves as pro-life rather than pro-birth. It's ironic because the Duggars lived off of love offerings through their community and now they are being supported by love offerings via TLC. 

What's the deal with the white bread mayo man in behind him holding a sign in Spanish.  These people really think they're slick, huh?

3 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

What's the deal with the white bread mayo man in behind him holding a sign in Spanish.  These people really think they're slick, huh?

Probably because NWA has a huge Hispanic population.

The comments on that post are great. About 90% of them are pro choice people calling the Duggars out on their hypocrisy. It makes me happy inside when they get called out for their hate filled crap

My stepmother's Hispanic and she looks whiter than me (spoiler alert: I'm really white). So I wouldn't assume anything based on the picture other than the guy holding the sign is the kind of guy who protests abortion by the side of the road.

On 9/1/2017 at 7:55 PM, Four is Enough said:

They serve ketchup that way at Five Guys. I prefer ketchup in a separate container. That way it doesn't get all over my fries and my fingers don't get all messy.

As a server I used to gag having to clean the scuzz from the ketchup bottles. Glad to see separate little containers.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

My stepmother's Hispanic and she looks whiter than me (spoiler alert: I'm really white). So I wouldn't assume anything based on the picture other than the guy holding the sign is the kind of guy who protests abortion by the side of the road.

not all Hispanics are brown, native looking folks. It's almost impossible to define Hispanics by looks alone. If you looked at me, you'd NEVER think I was Latina...I look more white/NA. My mother had olive skin, dark hair and eyes. My aunt made milk look dark, my grandfather looked like my mother, my grandmother had green eyes and red hair. 

We look just as varied as "white people"...but, I can pretty much ALWAYS identify Cuban women...

My ex stepfather was 100% Cuban and you’d never guess he was Hispanic.  I’m Italian and my youngest sister was darker than he was.  So that guy could be Hispanic.  Or he could be white bread trying to reach out to the poor Hispanic population by being obvious as all hell.

My father (who was 100% German) looked more Latino than even my mother. He was dark skinned, tanned like nobody's business, dark hair and eyes, and short. And, his mother also had red hair and green/blue eyes. Genetics are strange

9 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

since it looks like it was an open secret for a while in their area.

So, I've been thinking about this ever since the report came out, and I actually don't think this is true.

Disclaimer: I was never close to the Duggars, merely Duggar adjacent, so I would absolutely not expect to have been privy to any actual family secrets. The claim I keep seeing, though, is that it was common knowledge in NWA, and I don't think that's true. Obviously some people outside the family knew, and clearly some of the people who witnessed the church event told others, but I never heard anything about it. My mom spent a lot more time than me with the Duggars themselves and with people who knew them well, and the news took her by surprise as well. That could be because the people I was around were often quite sympathetic to the Duggars' beliefs and wouldn't have spread gossip like that, but I never heard it from the people who interacted with the Duggars and disliked them either. I've had some conversations with people who said that the Duggars (usually Jim Bob specifically) made them feel kind of generally creeped out, but there was nothing specific discussed.

I know a lot of people who have interacted with the Duggars and when the news came out in 2015 everyone I knew who expressed their reaction (an important qualification) was surprised. I didn't see anyone saying they knew it already.

If it were common knowledge you would also kind of think that there would have been more people informally confirming the rumors online before the FOIA report, since the Duggars were fairly (in?)famous for quite a long time before the 2015 revelations, but it was pretty much just that one comment.

I suspect that a lot of the people claiming now that they knew it all along (which, to be fair, I actually haven't seen that much of--it's more often other people claiming it was common knowledge in the area) are exaggerating. A lot of people found the Duggars creepy already, so I think a lot of people had kind of an "I knew it!" reaction. There's a big difference between saying afterwards that you knew something (because of clammy skin or the like :pb_lol:) and actually knowing the specific claims before they become public knowledge.

Again, my lack of knowledge doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I've lived in NWA for the majority of my life and have a ton of mutual friends with the Duggars and never heard anything at all about the molestation other than that one internet comment, so I find it hard to believe that it was actually an open secret in the area.

@Rachel333Thank you very much for your thoughts. :)

I think that the "open secret" was claimed by the defense in the recent article posted (I could be wrong - it's early.) If so and it goes to trial, I suppose they'd have to try and prove that was actually the case. If it was it might undermine the case against them to a certain extent. 

I guess a lot would depend on what the Judge would consider an "open secret" to be. 

Latin population is completely varied, we have a lot of European heritage so you usually find a bunch of looks within a family. My maternal grandparents are from England and Spain and my mom is white with dark hair and eyes, she's the darkest of her siblings and the rest of them are blondes with green or blue eyes. My paternal grandfather was from Spain and my grandmother a mix of Italian and Native latin American, as a result my dad looks very "typical" latin; I'm olive skinned with dark hair and amber almost green eyes, my sister is white as snow with dark hair and pitch black eyes. I mean, my aunt had two blonde blue eyes girls and then a very very dark skinned boy. Latins are a big mix of everything.

My multi-cultural daughters enjoy describing themselves as "racially ambiguous" - I am basic white European descent mutt, but my ex is 3/4 asian(Burma) 1/4 British Caucasian. My relatives used to describe him as looking "Hawaiian". Meanwhile my daughters have been asked if they're Latina, Greek, Italian, Indian,multiple different Asian nationalities...the list goes on and on. Luckily with them both being into theatre it has opened up a lot of casting options. They revel in their ambiguity:pb_lol:.

13 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Again, my lack of knowledge doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I've lived in NWA for the majority of my life and have a ton of mutual friends with the Duggars and never heard anything at all about the molestation other than that one internet comment, so I find it hard to believe that it was actually an open secret in the area.

The impression I get is that the molestations were an open secret in the fundie/Gothardite circles the Duggars ran in, not NWA or Tonitttown as a while.  It seems like a fairly small and closed community, where everyone knows each other’s business but won’t blab to the outside world because they have limited contact with non-fundies. The fact that JB and Michelle as well as Jessa and Jill would both cavalierly state that such abuse is common in their community suggests that there’s a lot ugliness going among NWA fundies.

1 hour ago, Exposedknees said:

My multi-cultural daughters enjoy describing themselves as "racially ambiguous" - I am basic white European descent mutt, but my ex is 3/4 asian(Burma) 1/4 British Caucasian. My relatives used to describe him as looking "Hawaiian". Meanwhile my daughters have been asked if they're Latina, Greek, Italian, Indian,multiple different Asian nationalities...the list goes on and on. Luckily with them both being into theatre it has opened up a lot of casting options. They revel in their ambiguity:pb_lol:.

Our kids probably match.  My daughter's dad is Thai and Caucasian. People regularly ask if she's Hawaiian, but Latina and Black are also common queries. Perhaps if we lived in a more diverse area, she'd get more questions about potentially being Asian, but somehow that's very rarely an option people see for her.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The impression I get is that the molestations were an open secret in the fundie/Gothardite circles the Duggars ran in, not NWA or Tonitttown as a while.  It seems like a fairly small and closed community, where everyone knows each other’s business but won’t blab to the outside world because they have limited contact with non-fundies. The fact that JB and Michelle as well as Jessa and Jill would both cavalierly state that such abuse is common in their community suggests that there’s a lot ugliness going among NWA fundies.

Yeah, that could definitely be the case. I know a lot of fundie people in that area (I kind of was a fundie in that area), but like I said, they're probably a lot less likely to share information that would make the Duggars look bad than people who disliked the Duggars. A lot of them have made brief appearances on the Duggars' show and seem to like the taste of fame, so I also imagine they wouldn't want to compromise it. I also was never involved in ATI (and there are a lot of other non-Gothardite fundies in the area), and I got the impression that when they talked about abuse being common in their community it was more about ATI than their geographic community, but then I don't actually have anything to base that on.

Anyway, I definitely think it's more likely that it was an open secret within the Gothardite families than within the NWA community at large (including non-fundies), the latter of which is a claim I have seen multiple times.

2 hours ago, Exposedknees said:

That's me lol I get indian, italian, armenian (cause kardashians) ALL the time.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:40 AM, SuffolkNWhat said:

My thought was vinegar for Siah as that's the usual accompaniment for fish and chips. 

Vinegar on "chips" in Arkansas would be about like ...about like.... about like... um--no. There's no about like. Vinegar isn't eaten on potatoes unless its hot German potato salad. Or salad dressing has seeped into the fries on a cheap paper plate.

As to only Siah & Josie--do they really even know this family very well?? They were only on one episode.

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Vinegar on "chips" in Arkansas would be about like ...about like.... about like... um--no. There's no about like. Vinegar isn't eaten on potatoes unless its hot German potato salad. Or salad dressing has seeped into the fries on a cheap paper plate.

As to only Siah & Josie--do they really even know this family very well?? They were only on one episode.

I'm from Arkansas, and malt vinegar on fish (and/or chips) is a thing. So...

Even us white European mutts get confused for other races sometimes. My siblings and I have the same parents. As far as we know, we're mostly Irish and German. My brother and I look it, but our sister? She's gotten asked if she's:

Puerto Rican

Mexican

Colombian

Native Hawaiian

Native American 

Spanish

Portugese

Italian

Japanese (oddly enough - still not sure how she got that one.)

She has similar facial features to us, but with dark coloring. Her hair is very dark brown. So are her eyes. And she can tan, whereas brother and I turn into Sebastian the Crab if we're in the sun too long. My mom and her father are the same as my sister, so it must be genetic on our Irish side. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived