IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 30 - On a Mission from GOD!

choralcrusader8613

16 hours ago, Greendoor said:

Half the time my son calls me by my name, I am not over fond of it.  I have one child, and I like to be called Mom. 

My brother (the oldest) called my mother "Honey" because that's what my dad called her, until I came along and somehow he learned to call her "Mom" after that.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't this hearing just about governmental immunity?  I didn't think the other defendants had answered.  If anyone has access to the documents I would love to read them.

I've been on a few sides of CPS. My school called on my mother for medical neglect where I was removed from the home for 3 years. I've had my ex and his family members call on me with bogus claims of neglect (anytime court stuff was going on) to the point they were threatened with charges for false reporting. And I've called twice on one of my best friends because the level of neglect is absolutely disgusting. In that case they were told to clean up and rechecked. 3 months later it was even worse. Just told to clean up and rechecked. It got so bad that while he was one of my best friends (and yes, tried talking to him and offering help a dozen times before calling) we no longer hang out because I can't stand going over there and we barely talk because I don't have the patience for his excuses why his kids don't have their basic needs met. 

Hubby's good friend was a CPS caseworker for a few years. On average she saw 28 families a day. It boggles the mind!

3 minutes ago, Ais said:

Arkansas officials seek immunity in Duggar privacy lawsuit - Page Six
https://apple.news/A3VM3XOKGRI6GBjQnaD8NHw

can anyone shed any light on this? It seemed like a lot of words saying not much at all to me.

The government is asking that the case be dismissed because they have governmental immunity.  That would mean those defendants are out.  I am surprised we don't have an answer as there was a minute order entered (that I don't have access to) which would generally give some information.  

Did you have specific questions on what was being said?

29 minutes ago, Ais said:

@justoneoftwo not really it was more that the article seemed to be half a story? Maybe it was just me but it reads as though the author got bored halfway through writing it but submitted it anyway lol 

I agree, the article isn't saying anything until we have the order!  Why publish that?  And where is the order?  

33 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So we've heard nothing from this yesterday? I can't find a thing.

Neither can I. Even search their "local" news sites.

From what I read, the Judge was expected to issue a written order soon. I would think the "soon" could mean just about anything. 

I was off on holidays for 12 days, but couldn't resist checking for Duggar news every now and then. I guess I didn't miss much, they have been pretty silent on social media, probably because of the lawsuit. Also, absolutely no bump pics from Joy :my_sad:  Off to catch up on all the threads now...

13 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Here's one... sorta :my_rolleyes: ... found it at Bob Ballinger's( bobby's dad) fb

Does he mention where this is taken? It looks like some sort of conference or speaking engagement, because Ben and Jessa are also sitting on the stage.

9 minutes ago, Dutch_girl said:

Does he mention where this is taken? It looks like some sort of conference or speaking engagement, because Ben and Jessa are also sitting on the stage.

Yep.. it was one of those marriage events they always go to

40 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Wow. They should've thrown all of it out, IMO. Does anyone think this will actually go to trial? 

After everything that's been discussed here, I honestly don't think all of it should have been. Yes, Josh and his parents deserved what they got - but the four sisters absolutely did not deserve to be outed as victims in such a way. The fact that they were is morally reprehensible, especially when considering this passage from the article:

IMG_1888.PNG.e416171efec1b01e85ea2d05fdcb1d72.PNG

That said, I believe Brooks made the ruling based off the accusations made. So I think it's possible that other claims could be thrown out or dropped based off what evidence may be revealed if this were to go to trial.

I am curious what our legal minds here think of it though. Does the state statute trump FOIA? Would the statute only apply to certain reports and documentation that were released? And what about Bauer Media, which was listed as a defendant. Would this ruling mean anything to the case against them?

As much as we all don't like Josh and Boob, the girls (women) should not be punished for actions that they didn't carry out. 

Do any of you know how goddam mortifying it is to have victim-status outed without your consent? 

There is no reason whatsoever that those reports couldn't have been redacted more. 

1 hour ago, KelseyAnn said:

As much as we all don't like Josh and Boob, the girls (women) should not be punished for actions that they didn't carry out. 

Do any of you know how goddam mortifying it is to have victim-status outed without your consent? 

There is no reason whatsoever that those reports couldn't have been redacted more. 

There were some fairly obvious issues with the redacting. The biggest was that they left in a reference to a victim being 5 years old in the Washington County report, which pretty much outright outed Joy as a victim. I don't think any amount of redacting would have protected them completely though. The amount of redacting on sibling names listed at the start of each victim statement for the Springdale report alone was a dead giveaway that four victims were related to Josh, Michelle, and JimBob.

I do think the public had a right to know the basics of what Josh did and his parents concealed. I think it unfortunately would have been revealed eventually, since it looks like it was an open secret for a while in their area. However, you are correct. The sisters being outed as victims without their consent is morally reprehensible as they didn't ask to be assaulted, they didn't ask for it to be concealed, and they didn't ask to have their childhoods sold to TLC. I've thought about it a lot since the news first broke and, honestly, I've come to the opinion that it was unethical for the reports to have been released because no amount of redacting would have protected their identities - and as you and many others pointed out, every victim should have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I would love for one of our legal minds here to weigh in on that state statute that Brooks cited in his decision. It appears the statute would trump FOIA and, if so, then it would have been legally wrong to release the reports in addition to ethically wrong. And if that's the case and they can prove it, then I think they'd deserve to win against the town and county. 

I'm still of the opinion they shouldn't get money from this. Jill and Jessa are at fault for making it eaiser to identify who was who. *shrugs* if they were suing to change the process that would be one thing but it's money they're after.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived