IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 30 - On a Mission from GOD!

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look fine to me? I mean, what are they supposed to look like on a day to day basis? I'd be side eyeing them way more if they looked like they were perfectly made up every single time they had a photo taken. Not that there's anything wrong with aiming for that, but we're talking about kids here, right? Aren't kids supposed to look kind of disheveled? Or was that just me? lol.

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

They look fine to me? I mean, what are they supposed to look like on a day to day basis? I'd be side eyeing them way more if they looked like they were perfectly made up every single time they had a photo taken. Not that there's anything wrong with aiming for that, but we're talking about kids here, right? Aren't kids supposed to look kind of disheveled? Or was that just me? lol.

I had a house full of rugrats. 5 the first time...little stair steps. Any time I went out with them, I made sure their clothes were clean, their hair was brushed and they looked neat, clean and presentable. When we had the grandgirls, the same thing. They had to be clean, hair brushed and usually up in pony tails (they both had long hair) ALWAYS dressed cute. Same with grandson. These children look like they've not seen soap and water for quite a while. They look like nobody cares. 

21 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

And - I'm Southern. I have to say:  Southern girls--from a young age--are taught how to STAND in photos. Feet together, one turned slightly outward - toward the camera.

?????? We are??? This is the first time I'm hearing about this.

4 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

LOL - well THIS Southern girl (and all my friends) were. :) Maybe it's regional? MidSouth here.

Edit:  The way they're standing was always referred to as standing (or walking) like a plow jockey.

10 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I had a house full of rugrats. 5 the first time...little stair steps. Any time I went out with them, I made sure their clothes were clean, their hair was brushed and they looked neat, clean and presentable. When we had the grandgirls, the same thing. They had to be clean, hair brushed and usually up in pony tails (they both had long hair) ALWAYS dressed cute. Same with grandson. These children look like they've not seen soap and water for quite a while. They look like nobody cares. 

They don't look like that at all to me. They don't look dirty, and honestly, who gives a shit if their hair isn't perfectly neat and they aren't dressed 'cute'? Ugh. Sorry, I just hate this emphasis on physical appearance, especially for children. If they're not ridiculously dirty and their clothing is adequate for the weather/situation, let them be! Of all the things to judge the Duggars over, kids with slightly messy hair and outfits that aren't Instagram-ready. Fuck that, seriously.

When my kids were little, I always thought dirty kids were happy kids.  In other words they played hard, got messy and dirty.  But they were bathed daily, and when we were out of the house, especially going to a restaurant, or anywhere public, they were at least dressed appropriately for the occasion.  A day at the park?  Shorts, runners, etc.  A restaurant (other than fast food),  clean clothing, clean kids.  Speaking for myself,  These younger girls never look put together, cleaned up.  Even at the weddings and such, they just look raggedy.  I would never judge someone if they were unable to have fashionable clothing,  but  I see no reason why these girls never look like anyone seems to care about their appearance.  Even if you go by Gothard Standards, these kids look unkempt.  I am fine with the kids looking comfortable and relaxed.  I wouldn't want them to go back to the pressed khakis, collared shirts and crisply ironed big white collars and prairie dresses.  But I don't think it is unusual to think that in a family that stresses how kids are everything, that their kids would at least look attended to.

They look like normal kids perhaps minus the leggings.  I grew up in the south where I was taught how to get into and out of a car and how to walk in heels, but I was never taught a foot position for photos except keeping the feet somewhat together and that was as a teen.  Their clothes are clean - at least I don't see any visible dirt and an attempt was made to "do" everyone's hair.  If the style didn't hold at least it means they aren't drowning in hair spray.   They look much like their age group which has to be an improvement over the red jumpers of yore.  I'm not a fan of the tulle skirts, but they are everywhere right now.

38 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

And - I'm Southern. I have to say:  Southern girls--from a young age--are taught how to STAND in photos. Feet together, one turned slightly outward - toward the camera. These girls are raising themselves since their sistermoms are gone. Moochelle is hidden, so I can't see if her feet are "right" either. lol

What?? My family has lived in Louisiana for 200 years and I've never heard this. I've gotta call my Mamere and ask her about it. The only thing she ever told me was draping one leg over the arm of a chair was "vulgar, vulgar, vulgar!" 

maybe it is a generational thing, but as I said, playing at home, at the park, etc, I am all for kids getting dirty and grimy and sweaty if they are having fun, or working on a project.  But out to dinner, clean up and look sharp. 

They have looked worse, but just in general, the standard of how these lost girls looks in always messy, wrinkled, etc.  I think some of us make a big deal about it because it just seems to be consistent with how we view their fate in life.  These sweet and innocent young kids were more about the business of being born, than they were about having parents who loved and cared for them normally.  And, yes, I am sure that JB and M love their children, but we assume they don't invest much energy into them, at least the last 5 or 6. 

I just go back to the video of Jordyn on her birthday, and some of the more recent videos of the younger girls and they just don't behave like kids who are connected or attached to their parents.  It is heartbreaking and I really hope we are completely wrong.  I hope when the camera's are off that Michelle is snuggling up and reading Little Women to them, and supporting their curiosity and their brain development.  I hope she is empowering them, and teaching them.  But there is a lot of evidence they have intentionally put out there to indicate this is not the case. 

From the picture on their FB, those sandals on all the lost girls look awful, I don't even know what they are suppose to be. They look cheap, ill fitted, and not safe for any kind of play. 

For the love of God, buy your daughters some actual shoes.  This is a fundamental concept. 

Sneakers, boots, Mary Janes, Uggs, wedges, Keds, Timberlands, ballerina flats, cleats.  Anything. 

2 hours ago, calimojo said:

BTW,  I couldn't find the Pennington thread, but I just saw on Facebook that Faith Pennington was in a really bad car accident that resulted in a broken pelvis and broken ribs.  She said it would be 6 weeks before she can walk again.  Did we know about this? 

I hope her horrible mother hasn't somehow convinced her this is a punishment for her sins.

It looks like it was posted here:

I don't see anything dirty or messy with the girls in these pictures? Their clothes are clean; the only wrinkly dress is Josie's, and that fabric is supposed to be wrinkly. Their hair looks fine to me too, not sure what it is that make some of you think it looks dirty?

I think they look perfectly fine for a meal out at town, I would perhaps have chosen different shoes, but I don't see any problems with the sandals. From what I can tell this wasn't a fancy restaurant where formal wear would be needed, but a regular lunch restaurant? I probably would've worn Jenni's or Johanna's clothes to a restaurant when I was their age.

And while these girls often seem detached from their parents and "dead" in the eyes, I actually think this is the first time in a long while that they look really content and happy and that Jenni's smile for once actually DOES reach her eyes. I also think Michelle looks really lovely for once, and that her hair looks much healthier than usual.

I get what people are saying about the clothing and hair. If you go out to lunch to celebrate someone's birthday, you make sure your hair is combed. You try to find an outfit that fits, that isn't too wrinkled, that is appropriate to the situation.

These girls, other than Jana and Michelle, don't look as if their hair has been combed today, let alone recently.

Their clothing is too big, and then the undershirts/tanks/leggings!! It's the SOUTH, fercryinoutloud! And all of the clothing looks as if it came from the laundry basket right before they left the house..

If someone showed up to celebrate my birthday looking like that, I would be sad, because I wouldn't think they cared enough to want to look nice. For me, this is NOT on the kids, but it IS on Michelle and Jana.. but mostly Michelle.

4 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

For me, this is NOT on the kids, but it IS on Michelle and Jana..

Exactly. Michelle is so checked-out as a mother that she has no idea that her beautiful daughters are dressed like slobs. But she damn sure has her hair done and makeup on...

For all their emphasis on countenance, you’d think they’d pay attention to what their kids are wearing. I wonder if they even own an iron? I iron almost everything (my neighbor irons her kids’ pajamas and socks... I don’t go that far).

Yeak, I’m not seeing an issue with the childrens’ clothes or hair either. They all have their hair pulled back in some manner, meaning they most likely had to brush through it first (trust me, trying to pull back straight hair without brushing it never ends well for me.) They look perfectly fine for a fairly casual lunch out. 

As for at weddings:

Spoiler

46F4D8B3-1449-467A-BE6C-101731A89F57.thumb.jpeg.4ed1fef0fd03b54c3799fb47aae1290a.jpeg

Hannie

Spoiler

4AF58D3F-DEEB-453B-BB8A-748F7FD99E0E.jpeg.dcdbd6cb7fb7d0eae69f428e0a7bc35a.jpeg

Jordyn

Spoiler

06DE746D-5078-4792-9009-1D8EEE0C9DAC.thumb.jpeg.8dd27a6d8088f973694eb5cf39759b2c.jpeg

Hannie

Spoiler

3B3CD0A6-0108-4226-B991-E6AF51243AC3.jpeg.badcc89d9a8163f8b112973c52da6643.jpeg

Jennie and Hannie

Spoiler

444966EF-119F-4FB3-8F43-F1B6CB547172.thumb.png.404b51baedba9dd41b1e7621181b8ab7.png

Jennie

Spoiler

E98D77D2-84E2-4245-ABC0-4CA2B906F72B.thumb.png.470459ccec680f67e7f37b4728c174e0.png

Josie

Spoiler

79DF8AD7-23DB-4B9A-8447-43FCBBCEC4CC.jpeg.ec69a7f2e046e4083dda3133610cad4b.jpeg

Josie and some other Little’s. I forget which ones. Possibly Mack and Jordyn.

Spoiler

A21F1EF7-39DB-43B2-9CD4-C5FDA28AF2D9.jpeg.bc76e16c90a1241bcc9e18621eb85cfe.jpeg

Josie, Mack, Jordyn, Jennie, and Hannie (I think that’s the order.)

They all look perfectly fine. Hannie is almost 12, meaning she was 11 or younger for each wedding so far. There’s no need for elaborate hairstyles or tons of makeup on a child that young or younger. Some of the kids look like they have flyaways or hair that could be tough to work with, but none of them look ungroomed or anything at the weddings.

And if there are photos from the weddings like that - well, shit happens. I wore my hair up when I was a Bridesmaid for my sister. It had fallen out by the end of the Church photos and we barely managed to rig it up for the start of the reception. After their dances were done I simply removed the Bobby pins and pulled it into a messy bun the rest of the night. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the kids looked a bit disheveled at the end of the weddings if they were running around and acting like kids, nor do I see anything wrong with that given the relative relaxed feel most of the Duggar weddings have had.

Personally, I’d much rather see them looking like normal kids than like creepy little Gothard dolls. Even if the clothes they wore at lunch were a bit big, at least they look relatively comfortable and easy enough to play in. 

I for one never said anything about weddings... but the very last thing we always had to do before leaving the house for any reason was, "Hey, kids, wash your face and hands, and comb your hair! Change clothes if they're dirty!"

Doesn't the usual mom do that? 

Jesus, I’m glad none of y’all can see my daily wardrobe. You’d probably think I’m homeless!  

They look like normal kids to me. Not even the least bit dirty. I am 100% in agreement with those who’d rather see them looking like real kids who get to be comfortable than painted little pageant princesses. The latter sets off far more alarm bells for me. Kids, especially young girls, are told their appearance matters more than their own comfort FAR too often. I thought we were against Gothard’s obsession with girls dress and appearance?

I too am from the south, btw. When I was a kid my mother brushed and did my hair every day. It took an unreasonable amount of gel to keep it from looking stringy and disheveled by early afternoon. There are old photos of me looking sweaty, sunkissed, with skinned knees and chlorine still in my hair but I remeber being happiest on those days. Let the kids be kids, y’all. Ffs. I’m way more concerned about their educational prospects than what their hair looks like. Good hair ain’t gonna get them into a decent college and away from the compound.

Oh also, those shoes look like knock off Chacos. Which are made for hiking. Not at all inappropriate for outdoor play. Better than the flip flops they usually wear. Y’all can unclench your pearls.

I have not been keeping up with the Duggars so, holy cow, those kids have really grown!  My reaction was that they all looked quite nice, but, after seeing so many Naugler kid pics, all other kids look clean and well groomed to me.

Switching topics again for a second, having just read the fascinating DNA discussion, were/are any of you reluctant to submit your DNA to these companies?  It gives me pause (perhaps unnecessarily) to provide that information.  Just curious.

4 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

I have not been keeping up with the Duggars so, holy cow, those kids have really grown!  My reaction was that they all looked quite nice, but, after seeing so many Naugler kid pics, all other kids look clean and well groomed to me.

Switching topics again for a second, having just read the fascinating DNA discussion, were/are any of you reluctant to submit your DNA to these companies?  It gives me pause (perhaps unnecessarily) to provide that information.  Just curious.

Seriously! I didn't even think of that but yeah. After spending so much time on the Nauglers' threads, I now know what real filth looks like. Come on down to The Shitstead if you really want to see some dirty, disheveled, neglected kids. Then you'll look at these pics and see gleaming cleanliness by comparison!

I did 23 and me, and experienced some reluctance, yes. It is weird to think about. But they do have some privacy policies in place. Like your sample doesn't have your name on it. Just an ID number that is connected to your account. No one who handles it sees your name. Still, I don't think anyone who's reluctant is being silly. It is intensely personal. But at the end of the day, I was like "well if someone gets ahold of it they'll be able to tell what about me? That I'm mostly hispanic and have brown eyes? They'd know that anyway just by looking." So I just did it. Maybe I was being carelessly flippant though? Who can say.

I have to admit that the only things that stood out to me were that Hannie and Jennie have a ton of healing bug bites on their legs. And Mac has changed so much. I also noticed that Josie's shoes are a little too big. Other than that they look happy and perfectly dressed for a lunch out at a semi casual restaurant.  

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

If someone showed up to celebrate my birthday looking like that, I would be sad, because I wouldn't think they cared enough to want to look nice.

Wow, I guess I'd be happy that they showed up to celebrate my birthday at all, not fussing over children's clothing or hair. 

I'm also glad when I was starving after a fun day of activity (like a birthday party) or long practice we didn't have to go home and get dressed up before getting to eat. They look fine, clothes wrinkle, hair flies away, hands can get washed even at restaurants and sometimes clothes don't perfectly fit kids (hand me downs, growth spurts).  

There's snark, but there's also realizing they're kids and of the age where they're likely in charge of most of their own hygiene and personal care, which can definitely be a journey. 

My little guy is always clean and freshly dressed when we head out for the day. But life happens. Catch us two hours later and he's covered in food, dirt and the random sticky substances that seem magnetically attracted to small children. I do my best and tidy him up as we go, I even bring changes of clothes for big disasters. I would make sure he was pressed for parties and pictures, but I only have the one to worry about. I'd imagine Michelle was just happy for the photo-op. 

15 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Southern girl here too, all I remember is my mama telling me to stand or sit nicely when I had a skirt on, but I don't remember the one foot turned out thing at all. (I do remember learning to sit with my knees together and feet crossed at the ankle, still sit that way)

4 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

For me, this is NOT on the kids, but it IS on Michelle and Jana.. but mostly Michelle.

Well... I get what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree a little on one small point- it should be ALL on Michelle. Jana didn't choose for her mother to have more kids than she was willing to put effort into caring for properly, and I feel that she's already done more than enough by taking on many of her six month old siblings to get up with all through the night so her incubator, I mean mother, could work on making the next one.

2 hours ago, JMO said:

I have to admit that the only things that stood out to me were that Hannie and Jennie have a ton of healing bug bites on their legs

I've noticed that really fair skinned kids seem to attract bites from creepy-crawlies. I know there's nothing scientific about that, but it just seems to happen a lot. My youngest cousin takes after my aunt (really fair and freckly) and no matter how much Off you spray on him he can be one giant walking welt if he plays outside for any length of time... maybe that's what's going on with Hannie and Jennie? 

My older daughter was and is a complete grub. You can get her dressed and into cute clothes, hair done, the whole nine yards... and half an hour later she looks like a hobo in a boxcar. She can't keep her hands out of her hair and undoes it, she pulls and tugs and adjusts her clothes until they're a mess... So I do tend to not be too fussed about kids not having every hair in place. Plus, as a previous poster said, after looking at the poor Nauglets and their caked-on layers of grime the younger Duggars look absolutely pristine by comparison. 

That said, it's sad that the parents are so lazy that they can't be bothered to give Hannie and Mack each their own birthday party. Both should get their special day with a favorite meal and a fun activity of their choice. I just hate how fundies, despite claiming that humans are in the image of a very big and multifaceted God, crush their kids into nondescript little clones. What happened to "I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14)?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived