IGNORED

John Kelly -- Bringing Order to the West Wing?

GreyhoundFan

Of course liberal media has monopoly of reliable news, if their counterparts can't stop reporting alternative facts as if those were the truth, that's just the obvious consequence.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

I saw this diagram of news sources just after the election, and it seemed to run fairly true to me. I'll admit to a preference for MSNBC if I'm going to watch news. I've made the effort to watch FOX news to see their slant and left wondering what on earth they were smoking. But yeah, I'll fully admit that we all see things through our own lenses, and the days of Walter Cronkite are long past.

kP4Yax1.png

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Of course liberal media has monopoly of reliable news, if their counterparts can't stop reporting alternative facts as if those were the truth, that's just the obvious consequence.

I hardly think the liberal media is innocent in this area. I also don't think Italy has an incredibly Free Press, so maybe you are coming from a different angle. By no means am I attacking Italy here, it is certainly much better than it could be.

8 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I saw this diagram of news sources just after the election, and it seemed to run fairly true to me. I'll admit to a preference for MSNBC if I'm going to watch news. I've made the effort to watch FOX news to see their slant and left wondering what on earth they were smoking. But yeah, I'll fully admit that we all see things through our own lenses, and the days of Walter Cronkite are long past.

This is normal and to be expected. I think slandering "conservative" outlets simply because they are "conservative" is troubling. I think slandering "liberal" outlets for the same reason is equally as troubling.  Opinions are fine, but just recognize where the source is coming from. I also completely forgot Natural News existed. I do tend to look at charts like this with some interest, but always hope people check out sources on their own and come to their own conclusions without influence. I recently saw someone post an article about Tech stuff that was hardly leaning in one direction. It was from Fox News and another friend started arguing with the person for sharing "Faux News".  In that case, it certainly didn't have a slant.  I hardly think any caution needed to be used with the person sharing the article, but someone believed that because it is Fox News, it must be trash. I say, give things a chance and embrace that we have a Free Press.

• Move Along 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

I hardly think the liberal media is innocent in this area. I also don't think Italy has an incredibly Free Press, so maybe you are coming from a different angle. By no means am I attacking Italy here, it is certainly much better than it could be.

Wow. Just wow.

3 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

I say, give things a chance and embrace that we have a Free Press.

Too bad your beloved Trump doesn’t do the same, what with the tweeting his love for Faux News and threats of jail time and license loss for other outlets.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 4

12 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

(snip)

(snip)

Those of us, including you, who know more than one language tend to read more than one news outlet.

ETA: That doesn't mean that others are misinformed. It just means that you are wrong in thinking that us ESL speakers are misinformed.

• Upvote 14

Just now, samurai_sarah said:

Those of us, including you, who know more than one language tend to read more than one news outlet.

But not those who are still stuck in 1960 it appears. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

Just now, Destiny said:

Wow. Just wow.

Why just wow? Explain, because Italy's Freedom of Press is much less Free than the United States.

Just now, Destiny said:

Too bad your beloved Trump doesn’t do the same, what with the tweeting his love for Faux News and threats of jail time and license loss for other outlets.

Hardly beloved. He can tweet all he wants and we can be as critical as we want.  His tweeting isn't the issue here. Leaking classified information is obviously dangerous and problematic, but reporting on leaked information is not the larger issue. Leaking the information is.

• Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1

For the record, like most people here, I don’t read just one source of news (though I only watch when I watch at all one due to access issues), and I look for conformation on stories from other sources before considering it true. Clearly, based on the sources presented, our Harry Potter fan here doesn’t always do the same.

• Upvote 13

10 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

I never suggested otherwise. My first language(s) tend to make it rather challenging because Free Press is really not a thing at all. (In said languages)

6 minutes ago, Destiny said:

For the record, like most people here, I don’t read just one source of news (though I only watch when I watch at all one due to access issues), and I look for conformation on stories from other sources before considering it true. Clearly, based on the sources presented, our Harry Potter fan here doesn’t always do the same.

Are you referring to me? First, what the fuck makes you think I am a Harry Potter fan or are you referring to @HarryPotterFan? If so, I am equally as confused because the two of you seem to agree on pretty much everything I have read. I cannot think of how I have presented stories without looking for "conformation on stories from other sources before considering it true"

Edited by OtterRuletheWorld
clarification
  • Downvote 4
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

So now we have a "but Italy..." too. Let's see what you come up with next!

My point is that media outlets earn the reputation they deserve. Then if you prefer to trust outlets that present as credible news that Obama is a Kenyan Muslim and Hillary runs a child prostitution ring out of a pizzeria over outlets that report on leaks from Trump's colander er I mean White House, well it's not my fault if you're pea brained. I only know that if you wait for Faux News to report accurately over wtf were your soldiers doing in Niger and highlight this administration responsibilities on the matter you can die of old age. But if you are waiting for a "but Obama..." they are totally the way to go.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

So now we have a "but Italy..." too. Let's see what you come up with next!

My point is that media outlets earn the reputation they deserve. Then if you prefer to trust outlets that present as credible news that Obama is a Kenyan Muslim and Hillary runs a child prostitution ring out of a pizzeria over outlets that report on leaks from Trump's colander er I mean White House, well it's not my fault if you're pea brained. I only know that if you wait for Faux News to report accurately over wtf were your soldiers doing in Niger and highlight this administration responsibilities on the matter you can die of old age. But if you are waiting for a "but Obama..." they are totally the way to go.

Right. That is what I said. You win.

It is really not a "but Italy" btw. There are places much worse than Italy. Much worse. America has a Free Press and that is great. Having a heavily restricted press (not saying Italy) is very problematic. It seems to me you are arguing against a Free Press.

• Move Along 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

Why just wow? Explain, because Italy's Freedom of Press is much less Free than the United States.

Yes please I'd love to see your explanation @OtterRuletheWorld since you seem to be educated on the matter.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

Right. That is what I said. You win.

It is really not a "but Italy" btw. There are places much worse than Italy. Much worse. America has a Free Press and that is great. Having a heavily restricted press (not saying Italy) is very problematic. It seems to me you are arguing against a Free Press.

So does Europe.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

4 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

So does Europe.

And Italy is one of the least free (in regards to Press) in Europe.

ETA: I am from a place very lacking of a free press.

Edited by OtterRuletheWorld
  • Downvote 1

I’ll tell you the same thing I tell your beloved Trump. Citations required.
  • Upvote 18

22 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

You want to see my explanation on what?

Don't play dumb. I know it's difficult, but at least try.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

Just now, OtterRuletheWorld said:

It may come as a surprise to you that the Italian education system teaches other languages. Even if the media were controlled, the people have means to read a variety of news from all sources.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/freedom-press-2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_Press_(report)

The first link is much more in depth, the wikipedia link is wiki, but has a pretty clear and easy to read breakdown explaining this information if you don't feel like poking around the first link.

This clearly shows I am Trump's biggest supporter ever.

• Move Along 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

Clearly very partisan. At least own it.

I was the one who admitted it was disrespectful of Obama to release photos when it upset Gold Star families.

YOU were the one who wouldn't criticize Trump when he:

~mocked a war hero for being captured and tortured

~verbally attacked a gold star family who criticized him

~told to a Gold star family about giving them money and then only gave it when it was made public that he had not done so.

~Called the a close family friend of a Gold Star family a liar even though it was revealed she told the truth

~Called a Gold Star widow a liar.

I think it is time you own up that have an issue criticizing Trump. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

It may come as a surprise to you that the Italian education system teaches other languages. Even if the media were controlled, the people have means to read a variety of news from all sources.

What? They have the internet in Italy?

• Fuck You 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Disgust 2
  • Rufus Bless 3

9 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

ETA: I am from a place very lacking of a free press.

You claimed to be an ESL language speaker. So am I. I find it rather easy to find news-outlets that aren't controlled by my home country. So, either our fellow ESL speakers are stupid, or...

• Upvote 15

39 minutes ago, OtterRuletheWorld said:

It seems to me you are arguing against a Free Press.

Please point to where I said anything that can remotely be construed like that.

I said that the press reaps what it sows and that the public chooses what to read/watch/listen to.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Please point to where I said anything that can remotely be construed like that.

I said that the press reaps what it sows and that the public chooses what to read/watch/listen to.

But you won't criticize a controlled press!! That means you support it!

• Angry 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 6

But you won't criticize a controlled press!! That means you support it!

Where the serious fuck did she say that?
  • Upvote 17