Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, SadieJane said:

I will say on a serious note, Jeremy is very encouraging of Jinger.  It's great to see it in one of these arranged marriages.

Thank goodness. it a only improve her wellbeing and give her the confidence to pursue somethings of her very own.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cptbailey said:

I was watching in the background, but during the scavenger hunter thing Jenny and Jordyn found the last thing together and she was very excited but then Jill called it for Jordyn. Just made me think of her little unhappy face over the years lol.

The other girl involved was Hannie, and when Jordyn found the clue/present box and exclamied she had found it Hannie said "no that's just Israel's Christmas present" and then grabbed it out of her hands, Jordyn seemed to press on a bit and then Hannie was carrying it down the stairs with her arm up with Jordyn yelling that she was the one who found it (they were on opposite teams) and utlimately Jordyn was given credit and was the one to give the big "gender reveal." FML I just rewatched that mess to be sure.  

I was going to watch this episode, but decided to make chocolate cake instead. Sounds like I didn't miss much, as usual. 

7 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

Why have they chosen such large boy/girl outfits???

When they announced their second pregnancy over Thanksgiving with Israel wearing that big brother shirt, it took the others a while to realize what was going on (though nobody apart from Meechelle seemed to care, really). Now, they are using a bigger sized outfit to make sure nobody misses the announcement for their precious blessing's gender. Makes totally sense, y'all.

Snark aside, with the amount of clothing they must have in the TTH both for baby girls and boys, no idea either why they chose that particular outfit (haven't seen the latest episode yet, what was the girl outfit?).

14 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Sometimes flat out making people uncomfortable for asking invasive questions is the way to go. I remember talking to my therapist about not knowing what to say when people ask where I got my self-harm scars, and she asked how I'd feel about being honest. I haven't had the guts to do it yet. But people should feel uncomfortable/like assholes when they ask invasive questions.

I read ask a manager religiously. Someone there coined this "returning the awkward to sender" (or something close to it).

11 hours ago, SadieJane said:

but D-Wreck is very checked out, isn't he? He looks like he would rather be anywhere and with anyone that isn't Jill. I get the feeling that she never lets him go off on his own, except when he is missioning. 

LOL missioning as in never so yep, they're always together.

An episode with most of the focus on the Duhlards? That's sounds awful. Bless all of you that survived. :pb_lol: 

12 hours ago, SadieJane said:

D-Wreck is very checked out, isn't he? He looks like he would rather be anywhere and with anyone that isn't Jill. I get the feeling that she never lets him go off on his own, except when he is missioning

I think he is checked out because he's an uncaring, self-absorbed person and it probably doesn't have much to do with Jill.

We didn't know too much about Derick before the marriage. I was happy that he had a degree from a real college. He was a mascot, so we know he likes attention. The mission work seemed like an after college adventure before settling down with a real job, but it may have more to do with his need for seeking attention and praise. He got married and got a real job, everything was on track, but he didn't even keep that job for a full year. I've never heard of him having any other job. What happened? Not enough attention? Not enough praise?  I think the problem is that this guy doesn't have any humility. He can't even keep an entry level job for a year. 

I know they said they were going to do more mission work, and that's the reason he left WalMart, but why the fake non-profit? He wasn't adequately prepared or experienced enough to start a non-profit. EGO. It's just his massive attention seeking ego that needs to run his own non-profit and get attention as the traveling missionary. He doesn't give two shits about Jill. She was just an ego boost and a way to get a lot of attention. Derick is a user.

I don't think he is capable of coming back to the United States and getting a job because he isn't willing to spend three years as an Associate before promoting into Senior Staff Accountant before promoting into Controller or Director of Finance. He would rather start a fake non-profit and give himself vanity titles than actually work for them. He wants to start at the top. Ego, ego, ego.

I had high hopes for Derick. I hoped he would be a good, stable provider and reliable husband, work for a good company, get a Masters Degree, become a CPA, and maybe after 10 years of experience with 2-3 promotions under his belt, start his own accounting firm servicing Christian non-profits doing international relief work. But he won't. There's no glory in hard work, so he won't do it.

He'll just grift around El Salvador and then in ten years when one of the other fundies who is ten years younger than Derick opens his boutique accounting firm, Derick will be bitter and jealous, and grift his way into a position on the Board.

Edit To Add: The older he gets, the harder it will be for his ego to take an entry-level job alongside people who are much younger. He will be like the middle-aged trust fund guys in my neighborhood. Their cousins and friends have to give them vanity jobs that are in name only because they're not qualified or experienced enough to do anything, and they're too old and self-important to start at the bottom. Derick's window of opportunity to start a career is closing. A person with humility can start at any age, but he doesn't have any humility. 

Dang... anyone notice Joy rollin' over to Austin's house for dinner in a Benz on  the last episode of Counting On ? These Duggars are really living large on that "buy used save the difference" agenda. :pb_rollseyes: Appeared to be a slightly older E class. Even used... those aren't cheap! 

21 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Derick is a user.

This may be the best summary of him after all.  I can see it.  It would also explain the otherwise odd asking Jim Bob to be a prayer partner.

I think what struck me most about Derick last night was the amount of times he mentioned Central America. I know that we normally joke about it because obsessed with converting Catholics. However, I'm very glad that no one was drinking every time Central America was mentioned because they would have had alcohol poisoning. Derick could barely pretend to care about the baby, it was all about making sure that everything was ok, so that they could leave. What the fuck dude? Jill had a very hard labour last time, you shouldn't even joke about her giving birth down there.*

*I know that she isn't! It just seems odd! 

7 hours ago, bella8050 said:

The other girl involved was Hannie, and when Jordyn found the clue/present box and exclamied she had found it Hannie said "no that's just Israel's Christmas present" and then grabbed it out of her hands.

Honestly, Hannie was being a real brat right then. Isn't she like eleven, too? She should know better than to take advantage of a younger sibling like that. But Instead she abuses the 'umbrella' of authority to try and win. 

5 hours ago, DillyDally said:

When they announced their second pregnancy over Thanksgiving with Israel wearing that big brother shirt, it took the others a while to realize what was going on (though nobody apart from Meechelle seemed to care, really). Now, they are using a bigger sized outfit to make sure nobody misses the announcement for their precious blessing's gender. Makes totally sense, y'all.

Snark aside, with the amount of clothing they must have in the TTH both for baby girls and boys, no idea either why they chose that particular outfit (haven't seen the latest episode yet, what was the girl outfit?).

My daughter and i were watching and the girl outfit they had chosen was tacky as all get-out in my ever so humble opinion. Sparkly, and i remember right, sparkle booties or ugg boots with it? Ugh. If i were to do a gender reveal, i would get some darling little blue or pink booties or a wee little hat with those ears on it. 

I'll say this: I was pretty stoked to hear Jeremy continually praise Jinger's intelligence. He looked really happy & proud of her, too. That's a wonderful thing for him to encourage.

51 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I think what struck me most about Derick last night was the amount of times he mentioned Central America

There's something very wrong with Derick. He's obsessed with CA, impulsive, isolating his wife, which is never a good sign in a relationship, and lives in a fantasy world having a white savior complex. I think he had the complex before he met Jill, but maybe the Josh scandal caused some kind of psychotic break, because Derick has gone off the rails.

I really do not like Derick. I honestly thought he was going to be a good influence on Jill. Maybe encourage her to get a real education like he did. Instead he is an ass who does not care about his wife or son taking them to a dangerous area is just wrong on so many levels. 

Hate watching this episode was worth it for one reason only:

JORDYN was recognized and felt special for 3 minutes. That beautiful creature actually SMILED.  Melted my heart, that one did.

(Sadly, she'll have to rely on that memory to carry her through the inevitable weeks, months, years of living in obscurity. Heartbreaking.)

What if Derrick had kept his job and encouraged Jill to become a qualified midwife before heading off to SCA? Silly me, that's not the way of the cult.

1 hour ago, Joyfully Available said:

Dang... anyone notice Joy rollin' over to Austin's house for dinner in a Benz on  the last episode of Counting On ? These Duggars are really living large on that "buy used save the difference" agenda. :pb_rollseyes: Appeared to be a slightly older E class. Even used... those aren't cheap! 

Yeah, they're cheap. An 8-year-old E class can be had for less than $10,000. I bought a six-year-old SLK class a few years back for less than $20K. 

4 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I really do not like Derick. I honestly thought he was going to be a good influence on Jill. Maybe encourage her to get a real education like he did. 

He could redeem himself if he did this. If he would move his family back to the U.S., but NOT the TTH, have Jill do a vocational nursing program, get a real job in accounting and keep it for at least 2-3 years like normal people do before they buy houses, and not grift a house off his father-in-law who exploited his children for money.

Dream plot twist, Jeremy will beat him to it and steal all the thunder and praise Derick wanted. Jinger will be the one working at a newborn photography studio, earning a Visual Arts degree at the community college, having a photography exhibit in a gallery. Jeremy will coach a winning high school soccer team and Jinger will be the darling of the suburban Laredo social scene as not only the coach's wife, but the pastor's wife. They will have date nights at the Philharmonic and be patrons of the arts and the community, and not do things like Derick and Jill's corny re-enactment of Boobchelle sticking two straws in a sundae. 

Ha! Talking about Derick, when the boys outfit was pulled out a kid grabbed it and started  winging it around as kids do. Derick grabs the outfit and says be careful our kid has to wear that.  

I did notice when he was laying out the rules he was a bit short tempered about the kids not opening the boxes.

My take is that he is frustrated , with the crowd of extended family constantly in his face, the lack of discipline in the howlers, or possessive about his belongings. It could be one thing or all of these things.

But he certainly likes to take advantage of the TTH and its inhabitants because at the beginning he and Jill were reading on their sofa and they said Izzy was over there.

And  of course Derick is arrogant with zero humilty. Anyone who can grift, beg and justify what he does it is the epitome of arrogance.

Looking at the men in this cult Derrick fits in very well for several reasons:

-he didn't grow up in the "normal,intact" family with two parents, he lost his dad and his mother had to care for him and his brother and probably didn't have too much time for him -> this cult promises him an intact family life

-Derrick didn't have a father figure in his adult years and was probably constantly looking for a role model which he found in JimBoob -> JimBoob graciously accepted this position and offered his daughter in return

-Derrick wants to have a picture-perfect family: including children, a wife who adores him and where is no divorce possible -> no divorce possible in this cult

-People who have lost family members can become controlling, so that they make sure they are in control of everything. Derrick seems to be very controlling of everything (Jill continously says that Derrick does this and that and she has no idea)

I think most of us had high hopes since Derrick has a college degree but I think that's only because he was doing what everyone else did at that age. Now he has found the "right" people to live how he actually wants to. 

20 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

My take is that he is frustrated , with the crowd of extended family constantly in his face, the lack of discipline in the howlers, or possessive about his belongings. It could be one thing or all of these things.

I don't think he's possessive of his belongings....no way could I sit and watch the howlers ruffle through all my things like they did on that scavenger hunt. And, tbh, what belongings does he even own? It certainly isn't their house. 

I think Derrick bought into this lifestyle to be able to be the alpha male in his relationship, what he says goes, and he got himself a wife, who is supposedly ok with that. Sadly, I don't think the girls really realize that this is HOW it is... Jill is learning, and seems to not be totally into it all the time. I'm sure it is a bit of an emotional roller coaster sometimes, so when he is "on" as in, being super lovey and such, she revels in it. That gets her through the crappy day to day decisions and life choices he make for them.

14 minutes ago, freejoy said:

Looking at the men in this cult Derrick fits in very well for several reasons:

-he didn't grow up in the "normal,intact" family with two parents, he lost his dad and his mother had to care for him and his brother and probably didn't have too much time for him -> this cult promises him an intact family life

His father didn't pass until he was in college iirc, so he did grow up with his definition of a "normal" household. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived