Coconut Flan

19 hours ago, freejoy said:

Looking at the men in this cult Derrick fits in very well for several reasons:

-he didn't grow up in the "normal,intact" family with two parents, he lost his dad and his mother had to care for him and his brother and probably didn't have too much time for him -> this cult promises him an intact family life

-Derrick didn't have a father figure in his adult years and was probably constantly looking for a role model which he found in JimBoob -> JimBoob graciously accepted this position and offered his daughter in return

(snip)

-People who have lost family members can become controlling, so that they make sure they are in control of everything. Derrick seems to be very controlling of everything (Jill continously says that Derrick does this and that and she has no idea)

People who have a parent die are NOT destined someone to grow up to be a controlling grifter, nor does that happen if men are brought up by a single mother!  This happens to hundreds of people every year - my dad, eg, grew up super poor as his father died of coal-mining related illness, and his mother had to work to support him and his brother, and they grew up to want to work really, really hard, and make sure their families were never in the same position. 

But if you have *evidence* that single mothers breed grifters, please do share it!

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Derick, I'm not sure how much he's actually changed. I think we've just gotten to know him better. He would've been on his very best behaviour when courting Jill and appearing on camera for the first time. Now we've have a few years to observe him, and he's had a few years to relax and let his true colours show. I do think that he had a lot of really intense stress to deal with all at once: his mother's cancer, getting married, Jill immediately getting pregnant, her long labour and emergency C-section, having a newborn, his  jaw surgery and recovery, the Josh scandal breaking, and taking off to Central America. That's a lot. And Jill doesn't seem to handle stress all that well, so he's responsible for managing both his toddler and his wife's emotions, more or less. I think his response might be bitterness and anger because the alternative is breaking down and he can't afford that. 

I am not giving Derick a pass. Why he left a good job at Walmart is beyond me.  He should have stayed in his job and the US and dealt with his Mom's cancer, marriage and stayed close to family.  I would hope they would stay in the US and he find a job and take care of his family, but I think that is asking too much of him.

7 minutes ago, Penny said:

I would hope they would stay in the US

Why is that?

I watched the most recent episode. I'm sure this has been said a lot already but the outfits chosen for the gender reveal were so odd. They were so big. They easily could have done a cute little onesie. Jill is giving birth to a newborn and not a toddler right? Jill and Derick are just so awkward. I also thought it was strange how Jill said it will be good to have boys at the beginning. Sort of like she just knows she will have a hoard of children. Ugh. Does smugness run in this family or what?  

BUt why would she think boys would be good at the beginning? One would think she meant girls? 

7 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

BUt why would she think boys would be good at the beginning? One would think she meant girls? 

I doubt she really thinks that, I think she's practicing her contentment. She would say the same about whatever God gave her. 

11 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

I think because she has a boy and is having another and can't change it so she has to act like it will be helpful to her and her apparently huge brood of kids someday. 

Oopd @Daisy0322 and I posted the same thing at the same time!

30 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

I think she said they would be little protectors of their younger siblings or something like that (apologies if I misremembered this, but I cannot bring myself to watch the episode again to confirm). I believe she also said that Izzy would have a buddy to pal around with then, too. 

On 6/27/2017 at 9:36 PM, SHERA said:

Did you see Jinger's face when Jill asked if she was pregnant? 

I imagine that Ma and Pa Duggar are asking the same question.   Wondering if there are private questions happening there.   

After watching the latest episode I am starting to like Ben a bit more. He appears to be growing up a bit and seems less stunned lol.  I think I credit some of this to Flame for maybe showing him the world a bit more and I think Ben is just maturing in general.  Jessa came off as not so stuck up anymore. Maybe having 2 kids brought her down off her high horse a bit.  

I love how Jeremy was so supportive with Jinger learning Spanish.  I hope he is able to maintain his positive attitude and spark.  I also have to give them credit for putting the effort in for trying to learn Spanish.  They seem to be trying a hell of a lot harder then Dirty Jesus and Jilly Muffin.

I am starting to dislike Derrick more and more as the seasons roll on.  He's an entitled asshole who only cares about SA and his Jesus act.  He has almost zero concern for Jill & Izzy.  In the episode, I felt that overall he seemed annoyed with Jill, annoyed with being home and his one and only concern was getting back to SA.  He looks absolutely terrible!! It's a bit shocking when you look back at clips/photos from when they were courting to how he looks today.  I have brought this up before and I will say it again. I am worried for his physical health and also his mental health. I am not convinced that his change in appearance may also have to do with a mental break down of some sort.  Makes it a bit more clear as to why Jill has been a bit wacky for the last little while too. Being married to Derrick can't be easy! 

On 6/28/2017 at 10:22 AM, The Wanderer said:

I sincerely hope that Jill would be more sympathetic if any of her sisters or sisters-in-law ever end up suffering from infertility.

Question:   Would these people see it as a sign of some great sin if they were affected by infertility?   That it was a judgment of some sort? 

1 hour ago, Chewing Gum said:

I think it may be because boys are supposed to be protectors and maybe because Izzy is a boy. So he will have a little brother to play with. Like someone else said, she can't be disappointed either way. 

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I'm sure this has been said a lot already but the outfits chosen for the gender reveal were so odd. They were so big. They easily could have done a cute little onesie. Jill is giving birth to a newborn and not a toddler right?

Have you SEEN how huge she is? Bet that outfit will fit the newborn just fine. Sticking with my 12 lb/13 oz prediction for Samuelito.

Question:   Would these people see it as a sign of some great sin if they were affected by infertility?   That it was a judgment of some sort? 

If one of us "heathens" were stricken with infertility, it would be a sign that we need to turn to God. But if one of them are, then it's just another trial to be overcome with prayer (and modern medicine, though prayer gets most of the credit). Michael (Bates) Keilen has been unable to conceive and her sister Erin has had difficulty keeping pregnancies without intervention due to a blood clotting disorder, yet neither seem to attribute those things to spiritual shortcomings. Which, of course, is a healthy attitude, and who knows what is going on behind closed doors and in their own minds, but I have a feeling that things would be different if, say, a rebellious child or one of us had the same issues.

20 hours ago, SayWhat said:

D-wreck annoyed me with his misogynistic comment,  when guessing the gender,  he states something about….guessing a boy so his son won’t think he thought he was a girl. 

Really? Because, you know, it's not like anyone has ever guessed their baby's sex wrong. Apparently I should be offended or something because my mother thought I was a boy?

Gee, it's a darn good thing I guessed right for Little NQ, who knows what might have happened! /sarcasm

I feel like we're doing the same thing with Babe that we did with D-wreck when Jill first got married (for the record I disliked Derick as soon as I heard the words "humanitarian work in Nepal")

I feel like people are misled by Babe's intentions because he's attractive and charismatic. He's better than all the other Duggars in front of the camera. Even if he leads Jinger away from having eleventy kids, I don't trust him. 

His sermons reveal he's at least fundie-lite, he seems to have a dominant personality and Jinger seems eager to please him. It's too early to tell.

1 hour ago, Jessie E said:

I love how Jeremy was so supportive with Jinger learning Spanish.  I hope he is able to maintain his positive attitude and spark.  I also have to give them credit for putting the effort in for trying to learn Spanish.  They seem to be trying a hell of a lot harder then Dirty Jesus and Jilly Muffin.

The spanish seem things like a completely unnecessary plot point.  If the congregation/people they were trying to get to join the church had SUCH a major language issue that they needed to communicate in spanish wouldnt the sponsoring church send a minister that actually spoke the fucking language?  Its kind of hard to convince someone to give up their heathen god (catholic jesus) and follow the shiny, perfect jesus that JinJer is touting, when they dont understand WHY their version of jesus is so wrong.

I also totally think their "crisis pregnancy" center would be a miserable failure if they couldnt communicate in the language the person you're trying to help speaks.

On 7/3/2017 at 11:37 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

But then the show would only last 27 seconds.

That would be an improvement. I'd watch the show if it was shorter than 30 seconds, rather than an hour long. They could certainly fit all the "action" from a 60 minute CO episode into 30 seconds with time to spare.

20 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Because of this, I now have my "Derick Rule". I'm no longer judging the appropriateness of a Duggars partner until they've been married 3-5 years. At first, Derick looked like a prince of sorts and Ben looked like an unformed toad. Now, Ben looks like the better of the two. (Not great, but better than Derick.)

Consequently, my jury's still out on Jeremy and Austin. 

yes, I was so hopeful, I thought Jill was winning the lottery of sorts. I too will adopt "Derick Rule” so that I will no longer be giving away pieces of my heart to the young newlyweds. 

ETA: I will be eternally grateful if all the Dugger only had boys from here on out. 

15 hours ago, Greendoor said:

I see him as a mentor not a control freak. 

Personally, I find that dynamic really, really creepy and unhealthy in a marriage. 

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

That would be an improvement. I'd watch the show if it was shorter than 30 seconds, rather than an hour long. They could certainly fit all the "action" from a 60 minute CO episode into 30 seconds with time to spare.

If you haven't seen 1A4 Studio's 60-second "speedrun" animation videos, they are hilarious. This would be a much more entertaining way to watch this show.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, ThunderRolls said:

I think she said they would be little protectors of their younger siblings or something like that (apologies if I misremembered this, but I cannot bring myself to watch the episode again to confirm). 

That theory didn't work out so well with her oldest brother.

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Have you SEEN how huge she is? Bet that outfit will fit the newborn just fine. Sticking with my 12 lb/13 oz prediction for Samuelito.

Unfortunately pregnancy weight gain is not a good indicator of infant weight.  I gained 40lbs with baby one, and he was 7lbs14oz.  I gained 19lbs with baby two, and he was 9lbs8oz. *shrug* :P

Also HI EVERYBODY!!  sorry for disappearing, my kiddos dropped my laptop like five weeks ago and cracked the screen :/  and boy is it easier to type on that thing .  . . And all our money has been going to house renos (we're hopefully listing in the next week!)  But I miss FJ something fierce, so let's hope autocorrect doesn't bust up all my posts :P

4 minutes ago, Fun Undies said:

Unfortunately pregnancy weight gain is not a good indicator of infant weight.  I gained 40lbs with baby one, and he was 7lbs14oz.  I gained 19lbs with baby two, and he was 9lbs8oz. *shrug*

LOL - I gained 51 with GryffindorDisappointment child, and she was 7 lb/3 oz. My my weight-gain was ALL OVER. My belly was still tiny. But we're all built differently, aren't we. :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived