Coconut Flan

I personally don't think many things in that house are their own personal belongings.

everything in that house was given to them. And they have not lived there long enough to be attached to any of it. I think the outfit was something he chose, which puts more value on it. 

But then if you are not used to siblings, and all the handling that comes with 42 hands  playing and touching with everything, I could see why he would be touchy about them ripping it or something.

i just found it a telling moment, where his inside thoughts and fears or frustration leaked to the surface.

it could be a reason why he likes Central America . His home is his own. It doesn't have extended family in it all the time making a racket.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Derick was irritable and the scavenger hunt seemed like a boring and unnecessary way to execute a gender reveal, it was an effective way for TLC to showcase the howler monkeys. I would prefer not to see the howler monkeys altogether.

This show has to die at some point. I was hoping Joy would be the cut off, but TLC has the Lost Boys in the talking head segments, and they've been forcing Hannie into the girl pack. 

Someone needs to pitch TLC a new show idea to replace these people. That's the only way to get rid of them. Come up with better stuff. 

Has anyone read the Dillards last blog post? It sound like they might be back in the States permanently.  Wishful thinking?

40 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Even though Derick was irritable and the scavenger hunt seemed like a boring and unnecessary way to execute a gender reveal, it was an effective way for TLC to showcase the howler monkeys. I would prefer not to see the howler monkeys altogether.

This show has to die at some point. I was hoping Joy would be the cut off, but TLC has the Lost Boys in the talking head segments, and they've been forcing Hannie into the girl pack. 

Someone needs to pitch TLC a new show idea to replace these people. That's the only way to get rid of them. Come up with better stuff. 

Somewhat of a newbie question here. Who are considered the lost boys and the howlers? I have my guess, but would rather know the "standard" definition. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yeah, they're cheap. An 8-year-old E class can be had for less than $10,000. I bought a six-year-old SLK class a few years back for less than $20K. 

I guess I'm talking more the maintenance aspect... we all know Duggar boys aren't really mechanics & I'm about 1000% certain they don't have the tools or know how to work on import cars themselves. I've got an oldie too but the maintenance for repairs & service can be astronomical. The last time I had a service, it ran well over $1500. Eeeek. 

It's mainly a personal irk. It seems to totally defy the standards they try to portray & the frugal rules/mindset they claim to have. I really hate when I see pastors (specifically of mega churches) rolling in 70k + vehicles & wearing designer clothing when a good portion of their congregation is struggling to even make tithes.  Another aspect of religious hypocrisy I don't understand but... another topic there. I guess when I think of the overly religious, I tend to think "humble" & something about J Boob driving Meeeeeechelle around in a Mercedes while spouting the joys of thrifting just doesn't jive for me. 

1 hour ago, freejoy said:

Looking at the men in this cult Derrick fits in very well for several reasons:

-he didn't grow up in the "normal,intact" family with two parents, he lost his dad and his mother had to care for him and his brother and probably didn't have too much time for him -> this cult promises him an intact family life

-Derrick didn't have a father figure in his adult years and was probably constantly looking for a role model which he found in JimBoob -> JimBoob graciously accepted this position and offered his daughter in return

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

His father didn't pass until he was in college iirc, so he did grow up with his definition of a "normal" household. 

Also Derrick does have a father figure in his stepfather. Don't know how close they are but they seem to get along just fine.

There's just no excuse for the direction that he's taking his family in.

15 minutes ago, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

Somewhat of a newbie question here. Who are considered the lost boys and the howlers? I have my guess, but would rather know the "standard" definition. 

The lost girls/the howlers are the kids post Joy. Particularly, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson for the boys. The Lost Girls are Johannah, Jennifer, and Jordyn*. It's basically the kids who became a number or were raised by Sister Moms. The second set of twins (Jed and Jer)kinda qualify but I don't know if they were full on howlers. 

*Josie isn't really included because she's the last child and seems to get more attention. 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

The lost girls/the howlers are the kids post Joy. Particularly, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson for the boys. The Lost Girls are Johannah, Jennifer, and Jordyn. It's basically the kids who became a number or were raised by Sister Moms. The second set of twins (Jed and Jer)kinda qualify but I don't know if they were full on howlers. 

Thank you! I figured Joy was around the cut off, but clarification is helpful! 

32 minutes ago, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

There are probably some variables in definition. To me, the Lost Boys and Lost Girls are the bottom 10 children, whom I would consider motherless and raised by sister moms. The howlers are the bottom 8. The bottom 8 are the ones who truly did not have any active parenting from Boobchelle. Josie, the Miracle Child, might be excluded, even though she acts howler-y.

Jed and Jer escaped being howlers, to me, because Jed is poised and Jer is charming. They're in what I call the grey zone, but they're still lost. Boobchelle seemed moderately invested in the oldest 6, and then there was the grey zone 5: Joe, Josiah, Joy, and the twins. They weren't completely lost, just kindof in limbo. The eight beyond that, the howlers, are like Lord of the Flies. 

I'm fully anticipating some revolting by the howler monkeys. As a parent, you can't be absent in their formative years and then jump in to enforce boundaries when they become teenagers. All of their sister moms will be gone and I'm waiting for a howler to look at Boobchelle and ask, "who are you exactly? and why should we listen to you?"

The twins probably got attention on account of being twins, so that probably saved them from being full blown howlers. 

I have no idea why I had this idea but Michelle reminded me of an older version of Dorothee if she had stayed in Emerald city with the wizard and had many children with him :D 

I remember having hope for Jill when she married Derick, womp womp. Ben looks like prize next to him now. I did laugh when Derick was telling the kids to be careful with the boy outfit from the reveal because apparently poor Samuel will be wearing that someday. Not sure what occassion that outfit would work for, except maybe another game for the "gender reveal" of baby Dillard #4 or 5.

5 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I know they said they were going to do more mission work, and that's the reason he left WalMart, but why the fake non-profit? He wasn't adequately prepared or experienced enough to start a non-profit. EGO. 

Really good, insightful post.  I would also add that in addition to his big ego, DD lacks any sort of adult discipline.  Even as a 'missionary' he just really just plays at it and on his own schedule and terms.  My opinion from the info we see . . .

More Questions than Snark for this week’s episode…

What the heck does Bin do for a living ? Why can’t TLC camera’s follow him to work ?

Why do D-wreck & JillyMuffin even bother returning to ScaryAmerica  ?  They go, they come back, they go they comeback. Either go to ScaryAmerica, stay there, make it your home or come back to Arkansas permanently !  Has anyone counted how many times they have flown back & forth ?  How many total months in Scary America vs how many months in the U.S. since D-wreck quit his real job to become a fake missionary ?

Have to give credit to the Babe & the Jinge, they stay in  Laredo & Jinge considers it her home and per her  Laredo now feels like home. Seems like she has made the split from compound.  Credit to Jinge also for trying to learn Spanish, while D-wreck & Jilly Muffin travel back & forth  to ScaryAmerica, stay in a McMansion while in the U.S. and put on Gender reveal parties.   Never heard JillyMuffin state ScaryAmerica is their or home or it feels like home. The Babe praising the Jinge’s intelligence was encouraging. He truly seemed to enjoy her company.   

I do not recall D-wreck praising the JillyMuffin recently.  D-wreck annoyed me with his misogynistic comment,  when guessing the gender,  he states something about….guessing a boy so his son won’t think he thought he was a girl.  WTF is wrong  with you ?   He is such a dumb-ass.  D-wreck also made the misogynistic comment when Israel’s gender was revealed stating that he is glad his first born was a boy than he can be the oldest and be the leader of his siblings. D-wreck seems to be the biggest douche of all the males on the show.  IMHO, the Babe and even the Bin have left the D-wreck in the dirt (could be taken literally) when it comes to being an attentive caring partner. 

15 minutes ago, SayWhat said:

Have to give credit to the Babe & the Jinge, they stay in  Laredo & Jinge considers it her home and per her  Laredo now feels like home. Seems like she has made the split from compound. 

I hope this sticks. I think this is how the saying goes.... From your mouth to God's ears.

lol on "The Babe"

18 minutes ago, SayWhat said:

Credit to Jinge also for trying to learn Spanish,

It would be a big boost to the their credibility and likability if they were shown making progress and having real conversational skills six months from now.

19 minutes ago, SayWhat said:

Why do D-wreck & JillyMuffin even bother returning to ScaryAmerica  ?  They go, they come back, they go they comeback. Either go to ScaryAmerica, stay there, make it your home or come back to Arkansas permanently !  Has anyone counted how many times they have flown back & forth ?  How many total months in Scary America vs how many months in the U.S. since D-wreck quit his real job to become a fake missionary ?

According to their blog:

- went to SA in July 2015

- came to the US in Aug 2015

- went back to ScaryAmerica in October 2015

- came to the US from Aug 2016 till February 2017

- when they went to SA

- and they returned in May of 2017

Sooo in the last two years (since they went tot SA), that makes around 14-15months in ScaryAmerica in 24 months

2 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

How old are they now? Aren't most of them teenagers? A scavenger hunt like that seems kind of young for the howlers...

Question and it could be just me, if Joy is having a deeper relationship with Austin, then how that she didn't know his favorite dessert is cheesecake?

This was the equivalent to Jessa goes to Hot Springs and bakes an apple pie with Ben's sisters or Jinger goes to visit Jeremy's grandmother to make spaghetti and meat balls.  It's one of TLC's formulas. 

17 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Question and it could be just me, if Joy is having a deeper relationship with Austin, then how that she didn't know his favorite dessert is cheesecake?

Because they only talk about Jesus and Jesus didn't have cheesecake. :P 

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

How old are they now? Aren't most of them teenagers? A scavenger hunt like that seems kind of young for the howlers...

The Howler/Lost Girls are 7-11. The Howler/Lost Boys are 13-17, with the twins being 18. I liked scavenger hunts up until 5th or 6th grade, age 11. I probably would have liked them longer, but my snotty friends probably told me they weren't cool anymore.

1 hour ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

It would be a big boost to the their credibility and likability if they were shown making progress and having real conversational skills six months from now.

I'd love to see a scene where Jinger and Jeremy come in and start speaking conversational Spanish to Jill and Derick  who look at them all bewildered.  

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yeah, they're cheap. An 8-year-old E class can be had for less than $10,000. I bought a six-year-old SLK class a few years back for less than $20K. 

Mr. Luna’s has many MB’s in his fleet for this reason. After 8-10 years you can get a lovely car for 8-15k, and they run forrrrrever. People love renting them because they seam so fancy.

A few observations (mostly just echoing what other people have said):

D-wreck drives me nuts. The rude little "people act like gender is a mystery, but there are only two options" comment...like intersex people don't exist?? I shudder to think of how these people would handle the birth of an intersex child. Probably forced surgery before the kid can even speak for themselves. :( D-wreck seems to want to control everyone and everything around him.

BAAABE 1 and BAAAAAAABE 2 seem really happy. I love that Jeremy compliments Jinger's intellect. I agree it's telling that I can't recall D-wreck praising Jill for anything besides her godliness or modesty, etc etc. JinJer's lack of basic Spanish skills shocked me. I'm around Jinger's age, and just from public high school Spanish (which I hated) I knew all the vocabulary they were struggling with. SOTDRT indeed.

Jessa seems like a great mom. I'd love to know what kind of stuff Ben does at work. Construction work? Office work? IIrc he works for JB in some capacity, but no one really knows what he does.

Joy is 10000000000000% ready for marriage and babies. when did that happen?!!

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

This was the equivalent to Jessa goes to Hot Springs and bakes an apple pie with Ben's sisters or Jinger goes to visit Jeremy's grandmother to make spaghetti and meat balls.  It's one of TLC's formulas. 

BINGO !  And we have a winner, winner chicken dinner or apple pie, or spaghetti & meatballs or cheesecake !    Also formula, I'm such a bad cook and am used to preparing processed slop for for the masses vs a healthy meal for a normal sized family. 

3 hours ago, Joyfully Available said:

I guess I'm talking more the maintenance aspect... we all know Duggar boys aren't really mechanics & I'm about 1000% certain they don't have the tools or know how to work on import cars themselves. I've got an oldie too but the maintenance for repairs & service can be astronomical. The last time I had a service, it ran well over $1500. Eeeek. 

It's VERY easy to do the A/B service oneself (we did, when I had mine). Plus, A or B is only required every 10,000 miles so the cost evens out (when doing it yourself) to be similar to the cost of maintaining a "non-Mercedes" car. It worked out that we spent about $150/year on maintenance items for the Benz... Plus, we had a decent, fun, fast, and VERY SAFE car. Built like a tank, solid as a rock. When it hit 100,000 miles, it went to a dealer as a trade for a new Veloster Turbo. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived