IGNORED

Maxwell 10: Following the 15 minute schedule and the monthly menu

Coconut Flan

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Not even with a simple thanks?

It's appropriate for an author to thank a reader who sends a nice email or a personal letter, or who leaves a nice comment on the author's blog or Facebook page. But reviews-- and reviewers-- are different. Besides, Amazon would probably take down any positive review where the author came in and thanked the reviewer. They don't want it to look like the reviews are coming from the writer's friends and family, so it's best not to appear too chummy.

16 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

@fundiefan ... I think she sees herself as mom and dad's child who helps their business by writing books and selling them on mom and dad's website. In this way, she will never be her own person. The Maxwell brand doesn't allow for it. 

I am pretty sure she would only see herself and dad and mom's child. :pb_rollseyes: 

19 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

And what if a questioner has a name that doesn't imply a specific gender?  (leaving out all the possibilities of nonbinary, etc, as just too worldly for the Maxwells to probably even be aware of...)

But names like Pat, Chris, Sydney, Marty -- or a name from another language or ethnicity the Maxwells aren't familiar with?  Or just a first initial instead of a name?

Would they actually try to ask the person their gender before determining which Maxwell would respond?  :roll:

And what if someone like Chris wrote a line about "my husband"? They would assume that Chris is a woman, because they would have to be female to be married to a man, right?! ;)

On 7/15/2017 at 10:27 AM, Jana814 said:

I don't think they will know what to do when he dies. He has sheltered them so much from the outside world. They would be to afraid venture out. 

Christopher will become their headship.

It seems as if Sarah did fly alone. The most recent blog post is about safety tips for *single* women flying alone. 

If you want to be by yourself in a secluded area (such as an area at the end of the terminal where no one is waiting), that’s inviting trouble

Because it's your fault for sitting where you're sitting. Not the man for harassing you. The great Penis Holders can do no wrong!

42 minutes ago, nomoxian said:

It seems as if Sarah did fly alone. The most recent blog post is about safety tips for *single* women flying alone. 

That post gave me anxiety imagining sheltered Sarah interacting with the world outside of Steve's protection. All snark aside, I would never want someone to see her as an easy target to take advantage of. 

Sidenote: Is a fundy breaking away from a cult and interacting with the outside world what that "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" show is about? 

"Very nice, friendly people can also be very convincing liars. Having grown up in a Christian home, we’re used to people telling the truth and trusting them! Well, liars can be extremely conniving and their ploy very believable. Be careful!"

This screams sheltered and never interacted with anyone else. I've had more Christians do horrible things to me more than others in my life and I am one, (Catholic), but that doesn't count in their world. I think what she meant to say was "Growing up with my family made me realize only they tell the truth so don't trust anyone, they are all out to get you." 

I've never had an issue in an airport and found strangers to be a hell of a lot more helpful than anyone who works there and I'm talking about the TSA, you can never get to the gate agent to ask a question. People are generally nice, I feel sorry for her that she can't just relax while out. I love flying alone and meeting new people, sometimes I talk and sometimes I listen to music or pretend to so I don't have to talk to anyone. 

Clearly steve has taught that if a woman is alone it would be her fault. Ass. :mad:

Sarah wants to read Success and Solitude: Feminist Organizations Fifty Years After the Feminine Mystique?

I just fell over on my chair

Jesus. It's depressing that a 35 year old would feel the need to write that. It's the kind of thing you'd give to preteens/whatever about being safe in public, if you removed the stupid stuff about "over-friendly" men. 

On 7/15/2017 at 9:11 PM, FloraDoraDolly said:

It's appropriate for an author to thank a reader who sends a nice email or a personal letter, or who leaves a nice comment on the author's blog or Facebook page. But reviews-- and reviewers-- are different. Besides, Amazon would probably take down any positive review where the author came in and thanked the reviewer. They don't want it to look like the reviews are coming from the writer's friends and family, so it's best not to appear too chummy.

I notice that Steve's defensive responses in the comments on reviews of Summer With the Moodys have now been taken down.  So apparently the author's Dad isn't allowed to argue with reviews either!

I review quite a lot of books on Amazon (I did not review Summer With the Moodys because I thought it would be overkill.)  IME, obviously biased reviews have to be reported to be taken down.  That goes for both overly positive and overly negative reviews.

So long as people put in a disclaimer (to identify their relationship with the author clearly to or say that they are reviewing a free copy)  those reviews are left up.  They are fine.

I gave a 3 star review to a memoir by a former missionary kid a year or so ago.  It was actually generous, constructive, and thoughtful, but critical of what I perceived as the glorification of missionary life and lack of respect and understanding of the culture in which she grew up.

I got slaughtered in the comments on my review by what I can only assume were her Fundie friends and family.  It was like Jill Zarin's alter-ego threatening to kill the reviewer's cat!

Finally the author herself responded in the comments posting her email so we could discuss her book further.  She got the more outrageous comments taken down and we had a productive private chat via email.  Last time I looked, her response to me was still there because I did not report it as inappropriate.  I hope she's changed her email by now.

Can someone give me an idea of what Steve wrote. Was he mad that people were badmouthing is daughter's books. 

Airports are pretty safe, I've been to ready dangerous cities in south America and even there the worst that could happen is pick pocketing. Poor Sarah she can't relax and enjoy her trip cause she thinks everyone is out to get her. 

38 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Sarah wants to read Success and Solitude: Feminist Organizations Fifty Years After the Feminine Mystique?

I think I figured it out -- it appears that list is books by Sarah Maxwell.  ANY Sarah Maxwell.  No?

I'm a member of Goodreads but not very familiar with it, and don't actually see how to see Sarah's "want to read" list. Anyone know how?

Having grown up in a Christian home, we’re used to people telling the truth and trusting them! 

Well, I wouldn't trust Steve as far as I could throw him personally.

We have caught him in quite a few half-truths and deliberate misdirection.  I also don't believe three quarters of the so-called examples the Maxwells give in their books, especially Great Conversationalists, Buying a House Debt-Free and Preparing Sons .  The conversations are unnatural and the examples of financial success frankly don't seem probable or feasible.

Sarah sounds ridiculous in most of her warning tips for adult women flying "without family."  Not every male out there wants to jump your bones, Sarah dear, and it is quite possible to sit next to one and even converse with one safely.  There is also a lot of snobbery there.  According to Sarah, if you sit with "business travelers (including ladies)" you won't be bothered.  No, sweetie.  Go and sit near a family with multiple squalling children instead.  Much safer.  :pb_mrgreen:

15 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Can someone give me an idea of what Steve wrote. Was he mad that people were badmouthing is daughter's books. 

No, he was very polite.  He just couldn't believe there were grammatical issues in the "professionally edited" book and asked for a list to be emailed to him.  I got bored after listing the ones I noticed in the first 5 chapters.

Dear Sarah, please stop. Don't give tips to women who are travelling, you are a child. I hate having to say a 34? 35-year old woman is a girl but clearly Steve won't let her grow up. 

I have been lurking on here for years, but this post has finally brought me out of lurkdom. I feel so so sorry for a 35 year old woman who believes that everyone outside of her family is a potential threat and quite possibly evil. She has just perfectly demonstrated what a limited sheltered life experience she has had. My heart bleeds for her.

That list of safety tips is just sad.  She is truly scared of the world and everyone in it.  Steve has brainwashed her in order to control her, and by doing so has turned her into a timid mouse who is scared just to leave the house.  Why would a parent do this to their child??  Safety precautions are fine and good, but it is obvious from her writings that she is terrified just to be alone in a public place.  Steve has failed in his attempt to rear children into adulthood, but I think that was his goal.

I used to travel extensively for work by myself, and never had any problems.  In my late 20's I took a personal trip to the UK with my uncle.  He lived in another state, so we took separate flights and arranged to meet up at the airport in London.  I mentioned that to a co-worker, and she told me that she would be too nervous to travel internationally by herself.  I thought that was so silly - all I did was fly without a companion.  Even if I had had to get around by myself, it wouldn't have been too difficult, since the language was the same and I had researched the area first.

"Very nice, friendly people can also be very convincing liars. Having grown up in a Christian home, we’re used to people telling the truth and trusting them! Well, liars can be extremely conniving and their ploy very believable. Be careful!"

You mean like soul stalkers? They are so very friendly. 

Of course, when overly friendly strangers approach you in an airport or other public places, they have you pegged as a soul in need of saving.  They are faux-friendly because they really want another notch on their soul saving belt.  I'd love for that to happen to Sarah, so she can be on the receiving end of that kind of annoying soul stalking.

Godless strangers bad.  All of The Right Kind of Christians good.  This all makes Sarah so incredibly vulnerable to Christian predators, because predators are predators and so very good at being conniving liars. 

3 hours ago, freejugar said:

I know she didn't write them, but I found this one hilarious, too:

Women of Influence: 12 Leaders of the Suffrage Movement a Block of the Month Quilt 

" So I went over to a group of business travelers (including ladies) and sat with them. "

Blasphemy, Sarah. How can ladies be "business travelers"?  : )

And you know what Sarah? My feelings of sorrow for you are tempered by your continuing to buy into the lie that people like me are evil predators, because I'm not your preferred flavor of Christian.

Question your beliefs and grow the hell up. I bet I've assisted more complete strangers in airports (and everywhere else) than you ever have or ever will.

Just now, SPHASH said:

Uh Poor Sarah most airlines will let you choose your seat.

But you don't know if a man will end up in the seat next to you!!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived