IGNORED

Maxwell 10: Following the 15 minute schedule and the monthly menu

Coconut Flan

It and my shoe are wet?

English is my second language, and this reminds me of my student days. I would write grammatically correct sentences, but  they were just so awkward! Eventually they sounded more natural, like what a native would say. I just needed more books and tv.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, freejugar said:

I just needed more books and tv.

So does Sarah.

9 hours ago, Justmurrayed said:

No one talks like that but especially not kids, 

One of the reviews of her Moody book(I think it was the first one when it was given away free and made it to the top of the Amazon list because of us) said that they thought the writer had not spent a lot of time with children. If they really talk like this it would be a pain to be around them. 

I see Sarah has returned from a trip. How is Teri coping with only Jesse home, unless the 3 'missionaries' are back...

14 minutes ago, albanuadh_1 said:

I see Sarah has returned from a trip. How is Teri coping with only Jesse home, unless the 3 'missionaries' are back...

Is the family she spent time with the Corrals?  Sarah says the family she visited has all girls and they are expecting another baby, which I think describes the Corrals.

6 hours ago, freejugar said:

It and my shoe are wet?

English is my second language, and this reminds me of my student days. I would write grammatically correct sentences, but  they were just so awkward! Eventually they sounded more natural, like what a native would say. I just needed more books and tv.

Exposure, exposure, exposure! I remember that my Chinese friends used to tell me that I sounded really stilted and odd sometimes when I spoke Mandarin, since I'd only really learned it in a classroom and hadn't really learned any slang words or "native speaker" speech patterns. I started picking up more on how they talked after a while, and I started sounding a lot more natural in my speech.

It would be very unethical because of consent issues, but I'd kill to do a linguistic study of isolated families like the Maxwells. There's a guy who did a guest appearance on the podcast SpyCast to talk about how he uses linguistics to study and then disrupt religious extremist groups like ISIS, since you can better engage in counter-intelligence and "hearts and minds" outreach when you understand how and why people talk the way they do, and talk about what they talk about; the Maxwells, obviously,  aren't as bad as ISIS, but their use of language is so unique/odd/influenced by extreme religious beliefs.

27 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Is the family she spent time with the Corrals?  Sarah says the family she visited has all girls and they are expecting another baby, which I think describes the Corrals.

Yup. Pretty sure it's them. I'm guessing the mom is a similar age to Sarah.

Surely this trip is some kind of cruelty for Sarah. If they ARE the same age, surely this is bringing home to Sarah how crap her living situation is. Mid thirties, unmarried, no prospect of moving out. Contrast that with this friend who is expecting her seventh baby.

I hate Steve. I really do.

Yes, grandma Maude thinks the Moodys are dumb as all get out to have forgotten a first aid kit, and really gives "Bitch" the side eye when he asks for spare socks..... Though of course she doesn't say anything to the child.

Sarah still doesn't look happy, her smile never reaches her eyes. Even on the plane, eyes look dead. It's a very sad life for her since she didn't choose it. 

11 hours ago, Jana814 said:

It is The Corral's that she went to visit.  Glad Sarah got the chance to get away. 

How did she get away? Same mindset in that family as in her own, plus little children that need to be cared for and if the husband had surgery he came home a man in need. I don't see how it was a get away at all. It was going to the 'safe' home - as determined by Steve - of a family who follows yours like lapdogs, with the same rules & roles, and little kids, a sick pregnant mom and the man of the house had surgery. If the wife was caring for the kids, who was gonna' care for him? Sarah was there to take care of the kids so the mom could cater to the husband. 

Not a get away. A slave trade.

16 hours ago, Trynn said:

Yes, grandma Maude thinks the Moodys are dumb as all get out to have forgotten a first aid kit, and really gives "Bitch" the side eye when he asks for spare socks..... Though of course she doesn't say anything to the child.

I guess the Moodwells don't need to carry the "Ten Essentials" on their hikes, because God will provide.

11 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I guess the Moodwells don't need to carry the "Ten Essentials" on their hikes, because God will provide.

I wonder how Goofy Anna, Scary Mary, and Stud John are doing on their "mission trip"

I've never seen any social media accounts for the Maxwells. Have they ever explained why they don't have them, or have I just managed to miss something that is obvious to everyone else?

13 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I wonder how Goofy Anna, Scary Mary, and Stud John are doing on their "mission trip"

Probably a lot better than the people they're preaching to.

Maybe Steve sent her there to teach her a lesson.  After taking care of seven small kids, she might decide that taking care of just two elderly parents isn't so bad after all...

That's not totally the case, of course.  I enjoy being away from my dysfunctional parents, being married (after many years on my own) and my two teenagers, but if I had that many small kids with no end in sight, I would go insane.  

It's just too bad that she will never have the chance to make any of these choices.

Why does Teri talk about summer vacation from home schooling? Can't a homeschooling family just take a 'vacation' anytime they want? Hell why not do year round schooling especially if like the Duggars Teri's kids weren't allowed to have any social life outside of the family.

32 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Why does Teri talk about summer vacation from home schooling?

Probably because Teri needed the break.  Homeschooling was very stressful.

18 hours ago, molecule said:

I've never seen any social media accounts for the Maxwells. Have they ever explained why they don't have them, or have I just managed to miss something that is obvious to everyone else?

I think social media would count as FUN!  Fun takes away from time spent with the LORD and doing the LORD's work.  I don't think we have ever looked very hard to find the Maxwells on social media because it is so unlikely.  I can't imaging them fooling around on Instagram or Pinterest.  They don't even use Youtube for their videos because Steve thinks it is evil.

Steve, Nathan, Joe, John and Jesse are on LinkedIn.  They endorse each other.  A couple of years ago John tried to communicate with members of his profession (irrigation) by writing an article on LinkedIn.  He got very little response.

I think someone tracked SwiftOtter (Joe) down on an IT forum at one point.

Pretty much all communication the Maxwells have with the outside world seems to happen over the phone (all the businesses have the same phone #) or via the family email and the blog.  They do have phones but probably only call each other.

Sad.

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Probably because Teri needed the break.  Homeschooling was very stressful.

I think social media would count as FUN!  Fun takes away from time spent with the LORD and doing the LORD's work.  I don't think we have ever looked very hard to find the Maxwells on social media because it is so unlikely.  I can't imaging them fooling around on Instagram or Pinterest.  They don't even use Youtube for their videos because Steve thinks it is evil.

Steve, Nathan, Joe, John and Jesse are on LinkedIn.  They endorse each other.  A couple of years ago John tried to communicate with members of his profession (irrigation) by writing an article on LinkedIn.  He got very little response.

I think someone tracked SwiftOtter (Joe) down on an IT forum at one point.

Pretty much all communication the Maxwells have with the outside world seems to happen over the phone (all the businesses have the same phone #) or via the family email and the blog.  They do have phones but probably only call each other.

Sad.

Didn't Mary or Anna once say something at a conference about how she was scared of Facebook when someone asked if she was on it? 

53 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

Didn't Mary or Anna once say something at a conference about how she was scared of Facebook when someone asked if she was on it? 

I don't remember but it sounds very likely.  Such a den of iniquity.  Why would she want to be on Facebook anyway?   It is for keeping in contact with friends and family.  She doesn't have friends and she only has to pop next door or over the road to see family.

Perhaps the girls are allowed to read a few Steve-approved Fundie family blogs, but that's all.

Nathan had a FB account at one point - we saw him as a friend of Teri's sister. It was private so who knows what was on it. It disappeared shortly after being discussed on FJ (hi Steve).

As an indie author, Sarah SHOULD be on social media. At the very least, she should have a Facebook author page and a blog of her own where she can promote her books. It would also help her business if she were part of a network of other homeschool/fundie blogs. Yes, she does promote her work on her family's blog, but she needs one that focuses exclusively on her own work and where she can build her own "brand."

20 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Nathan had a FB account at one point - we saw him as a friend of Teri's sister. It was private so who knows what was on it. It disappeared shortly after being discussed on FJ (hi Steve).

What's her sisters name again? Curious...

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Pretty much all communication the Maxwells have with the outside world seems to happen over the phone (all the businesses have the same phone #)

Okay all of the businesses having the same phone number made me laugh for some reason. I picture Steve and Teri's house phone ringing when one of their adult sons gets a work call. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived