IGNORED

Maxwell 10: Following the 15 minute schedule and the monthly menu

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, theologygeek said:

I think they were babysitting that very night.  They had the same clothes on as in the welcome home pics.  That is so selfish.  They should have been considerate and thought that maybe the sisters would want to rest after a long trip.  I wouldn't even ask someone to babysit after they just got home from a trip.  Then you put them on the spot and they don't want to hurt your feelings by saying no. 

But what if it was on the schedule?

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, well, courtesy of a 'guest post' - after all, she's not REAL family - Anna Marie has confirmed what some of you already identified. She's expecting baby number five in February 2018.

I'm surprised Rose M hasn't been arrested for public disorder. Congratulations to NR Anna, I'm sure she's delighted.

Christopher really is not a good photographer, Sarah should have done those photos. The backdrop is terrible and doesn't go with what anyone is wearing. The "professional" photos should have been done by someone other than him, I get it's hard to get all kids to look at the camera, but I cringed when looking at them...

something about Joshua makes me so sad every time I see him. That child just looks so miserable for being so young. 

It's not the kids being kids though. It's the whole setup. The backdrop alone is a terrible colour and is about as creased as you'd expect if it had been dragged through a hedge backwards. I know next to nothing about photography but even I can see that he's just pointing and clicking.

Besides, if you know that it's nigh impossible to get three kids looking okay in a studio portrait, why bother with ten? Why not just admit that it's not going to happen (even with MaxGrandkids who have 'grown up around cameras' and have had any inclination towards noncompliance squashed out of them by the time they're about 2) and take something a little more natural? You're far more likely to get something worth looking at.

I have been really into reading the maxwell archives lately and I was trying to figure out what I find so worthy of my interest. And I finally figured out that they are the polar opposite of my upbringing: they are happy, they never fight, they genuinely like being with each other. There are no disabilities, or money troubles, or police being called during a custody fight. 

I am well aware that I am seeing the reality that they want to project. When I peer closer I can see their sadness, isolation, malfunction, Stockholm syndrome, etc. But on the outside, the least, they have all this stuff that I longed for as a kid. My siblings and I despise each other. The Maxwells love each other. Why shouldn't I be envious?

The thing is, the thing I need to remember, there are other ways to be happy, other ways to love your siblings. The Maxwells think theirs is the Only Way and that everyone else must be desperately unhappy. I can't make myself believe in their god or their way of life, but I can appreciate a bit of escapism through their blog full of smiling (oppressed) children.

2 hours ago, Lollipopgirl said:

I'm surprised Rose M hasn't been arrested for public disorder. 

I wonder what kind of lil songs about Jesus are best for repelling perverts?

Jesus Loves Me? Something from Godspell? Solos from Handel's Messiah?

I had to chuckle when I noticed that NR Anna was standing there barefoot in the photo..... Barefoot and pregnant just like she will be for the next 15 years or so.  I never really understood the whole barefoot pictures - even for kids.  Babies I understand but after toddlerhood when you dress your kid up for pictures buy some shoes! 

I'm proud of Elissa for holding off pregnancy for so long!  How old is Calia now?  Approaching 2?  There will be nice spacing, at least for the first two kids.

1 hour ago, Coconutwater said:

Christopher really is not a good photographer, Sarah should have done those photos. The backdrop is terrible and doesn't go with what anyone is wearing.

I was thinking this to myself as well.  Do you think they ever have someone outside the family do pictures? Why does Christopher think he is talented at this? So many questions.

I like getting to see all the kids, regardless of the photo quality. 

I really want to high-five Anna Marie and her parents. I think she is a much better writer than any of the original Maxwells. Perhaps her home schooling was fairly high quality. Too bad Anna Marie doesn't start a blog about mothering and teaching so many young children. I think she'd have quite a few followers and her writing would be a pleasure to read. 

It just occurred to me that Steve thinks his sons' wives all married into the upper crust of the fundie world - that these young women "married up."  I think it's the other way around, at least from the looks of their education. Clearly, Anna Marie has a better education. I think Elissa has had a lot of experience with extra curricular activities and a better education as well. We will never see it, but I bet the wives are much better communicators and more socially adept than their husbands. 

Sorry for the tangent based on one rare post from Anna Marie - just letting my thoughts go where they will today. 

19 minutes ago, fundiefollower said:

I'm proud of Elissa for holding off pregnancy for so long!  How old is Calia now?  Approaching 2?  There will be nice spacing, at least for the first two kids.

Calia is two in October. I've been wondering if they'll pull a surprise baby and just randomly show up with a new baby, no prior mention of the pregnancy. They're not as public and they managed to pull the same thing off with their wedding.

47 minutes ago, Bethella said:

Calia is two in October. I've been wondering if they'll pull a surprise baby and just randomly show up with a new baby, no prior mention of the pregnancy. They're not as public and they managed to pull the same thing off with their wedding.

I dunno....she has a pretty flat stomach in all of their recent pics. I'm kind of surprised with the spacing. If it is intentional, it feels so rebellious against Papa Maxwell's wishes. I can only hope.

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

<snip for space>

My siblings and I despise each other. The Maxwells love each other. Why shouldn't I be envious?

The thing is, the thing I need to remember, there are other ways to be happy, other ways to love your siblings. The Maxwells think theirs is the Only Way and that everyone else must be desperately unhappy. I can't make myself believe in their god or their way of life, but I can appreciate a bit of escapism through their blog full of smiling (oppressed) children.

I'm sorry your family life was so difficult and unhappy.  While the Maxwells like to believe they are so happy (and that everyone else is unhappy) I'm glad you see that the children are oppressed and repressed.

I don't think the Maxwells are necessarily happy.  They are just forbidden to express anything that even verges on discontent.  There may be a whole lot of resentment there that they have never been able to express.  They have to be "best friends" with their siblings because their social lives are so limited.  They can't avoid each other.

When they were younger normal sibling squabbles came with unpleasant consequences, and not always fair ones.  

Anna's "Making Right the Wrong."  https://blog.titus2.com/2011/07/

Tuesday lunch found John, Joseph, Jesse, and me at a local restaurant. This wasn’t just a lunch to eat out, but it was a “special” occasion. You might be thinking that it didn’t look like a very fancy restaurant to have a special meal at, but there was significance to the place we chose.

My fingers are itching to redline that!

Here’s why we went out to lunch at Taco Bell on this day! The other night while talking before Bible time, we were all sharing memories. One memory that came up we laughed about, but at the time it wasn’t funny.

No, it wasn't very funny.  

Here is what happened. We were on a trip (many years ago! : )) and the boys and I were having an argument about cats and dogs. Thinking back, it seems quite silly to be arguing about cats and dogs, but at that moment in time for three little children, it was a serious matter! The boys happened to prefer dogs, and I liked cats much better.

Arguments like these among children help to develop debating skills.

When I wasn’t winning the argument, I brought it to Dad’s attention, making myself sound like the angel in the situation.

Little ratfink! What on earth did she tell Dad the boys did to her!  They were arguing.

The situation escalated to where the boys were given a consequence for arguing.

Escalated.  Or were they just trying to explain their side of the argument to Dad and he wouldn't listen.

They were to eat a lunch of Wheat Thins in the van while we girls, Dad and Mom ate inside at Taco Bell where Dad could see the boys in the van.

Bread and water for the boys.  Because they argued with their sister.

After eating my lunch, instead of me having a sad attitude and realizing that I was part of the problem as well, I had a proud attitude and was pleased that the boys were in trouble.

Oooh, look! A parenting fail by Steve.  That makes me unreasonably happy. 

Now many years later, looking back on the insignificant things that provoked the argument, I can see how silly it was to argue about cats and dogs,

See above.  Now tell us about a time you had an argument or disagreement about significant things.

how wrong I was to tattle, and then to be happy that my brothers were given a consequence.

Tattling isn't nice.  Mind you, in a family where the boys seem distinctly favored and given more freedom I suppose getting them into trouble did make you happy.  I can't blame you.

I shared that with the boys, and I invited them out to Taco Bell this last week as restitution for the attitude I had during that time.

OK then. You all went out to lunch.  Cute.

But being a Maxwell you then write a blog post to show how wonderful you are to "make restitution."  :confusion-shrug:

4 hours ago, courtlylove said:

Well, well, courtesy of a 'guest post' - after all, she's not REAL family - Anna Marie has confirmed what some of you already identified. She's expecting baby number five in February 2018.

What a coinkidink that Anna Marie announces her pregnancy the day after our eagle-eyed FJers spot it.

I remember Anna talking about how the boys had to eat in the van while everyone else ate inside. I don't think Steve allows arguing of any kind unless it has something to do with the Bible. 

35 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

I dunno....she has a pretty flat stomach in all of their recent pics. I'm kind of surprised with the spacing. If it is intentional, it feels so rebellious against Papa Maxwell's wishes. I can only hope.

Have you seen this woman? She's 6 months pregnant and you'd never tell by looking at her. http://people.com/bodies/sarah-stage-pregnacy-abs-instagram/

I'm not convinced that Elissa and Joseph are deliberately spacing. It hasn't even been two years, she could still be breastfeeding and she just might not be as fertile as Anna Marie.

Yep I knew it.  Amish Anna is knocked up again.  Its July 21 and she is due in Feb, she must announce her pregnancies as soon as the sperm gets the egg. And Sarah Anna isn't a guest, she is a fucking member of the family!  Those pics suck.  Hopefully Wonder Woman Melanie won't be aannouncing a pregnancy either.

I do like this picture because it seems to show a genuine smile from Ruthanne. She seems a little reserved around the camera so we don't always see her face light up like this. 

I know there are bigger things to snark on and the mothers have their hands full, but, in my opinion, Anna Marie does a really nice job of coordinating her kids' clothing for pictures. Melanie's kids have more up-to-date little wardrobes but they always look just a little thrown together in many of the photos. Maybe Melanie is never going for a color scheme because when I look at her kids' photos I think "what's the theme here??"  

I think I have said this before but I also think Anna Marie looks more put together in her jumpers than most of the other women do in their "stylish" skirts and tops. Anna Marie's clothes are always pressed and neat. Her hair is usually flawless. Sometime the other women look like they've pulled their outfit out of the laundry basket. I admit, I kind of like most of her jumpers; mainly because I love fabric and I am impressed by her sewing skills. 

IMG_7590.JPG

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Last nite I had a dream Abby turned 18 and left Maxhell.

I would love for that to happen.  I don't think it will though. 

Okay, this is funny, but a while back on their blog, in response to some candid shots of a group of cousins, someone suggested they do annual group shots of all the cousins. The response back was something like they can't because it's so hard to get everyone together. And here we see they have been doing it for years. Oh Maxwells, you are so funny. 

Well, I guess the Anna pregnancy announcement isn't surprising. She's definitely due. It's interesting that this will be her longest time getting pregnant since Ruthanne. She's certainly fertile, but not in a regular sort of way. 

Oh, and this line totally grossed me out. Abby is 9 and Bethany is not yet 7. 

It’s sweet to see these two oldest cousins’ love for and capability with the younger ones.

5 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I was thinking this to myself as well.  Do you think they ever have someone outside the family do pictures? Why does Christopher think he is talented at this? So many questions.

Because nobody is brave/dumb/outspoken enough to say so.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived