IGNORED

Maxwell 10: Following the 15 minute schedule and the monthly menu

Coconut Flan

26 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

IIRC the most common problem that a lot of their followers with huge families have is not enough food to go around.  Most of them probably don't have leftovers,

Sometimes I wonder who their followers actually are. It usually seems that the Maxwells are just talking to themselves. In general, they aren't very relateable. Their head blogger is an unmarried 30-something without kids of her own who lives with her parents. Sure, we see the nieces and nephews, but it's not a mommy blog. It's not a marriage blog or food blog either. Their brand isn't very helpful in any category. There's no niche they are filling. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Palimpsest how could you forget Sandra Lee's name?

Here's her infamous Kwanzaa Cake:

There's a bunch of other videos on Youtube of Sandra cooking and drinking.  In many cases, she's obviously doing them at the same time!

On 05/07/2017 at 2:32 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Anyone else thinking of My Big Fat Greek Wedding though? The blow up kiddie pool in the Orthodox Church? Lol

When I was baptised into the Ukranian Orthodox church as an adult it was in a stock tank. We have a nice baptismal font for infants, but adult baptisms happen so rarely that I guess it didn't make sense to build an adult sized one. The kiddie pool seems way more practical actually, lol.

That is not at all appetizing. I would have made a broccoli pasta, green beans as a side, and the pulled meat as a sand which. Growing up and now as we are all grown if we visit (and when lived at home) and there were leftovers it's grab for yourself and make what you want. 

I really hate having my food mixed together like that.  Sorry Goofy Anna you are not Julia Child, Emerile, and Rachel Ray.

1 hour ago, SoGladIWasCofE said:

"noodle shells"

PASTA

Is Pasta a curse word in Maxhell like deviled eggs.

Or if she *really* wanted to be fancy, she could've used "conchiglie" and explained what it is. I'm assuming pasta packets are labelled with the variety in supermarkets e.g. spaghetti, fusilli, farfalle etc. But the Maxwells don't do fancy in any shape or form. 

I have noticed that sometimes Americans use "noodles" when referring to pasta. To me, they're different. Pasta is the Italian stuff, noodles are used in Chinese/Japanese etc cooking. (Unless I'm culinarily ignorant).

eta: having looked things up it appears that pasta is a type of noodle. Confusing or wut! 

I just stick leftovers in the microwave.  No photos needed.

Every comment on the haircut article is a compliment and Sarah has thanked all of them.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

I have noticed that sometimes Americans use "noodles" when referring to pasta. To me, they're different. Pasta is the Italian stuff, noodles are used in Chinese/Japanese etc cooking. (Unless I'm culinarily ignorant).

i just call it macaroni--except spaghetti; that will always be spaghetti--unless i want to identify a particular shape.  and for me, noodles are long and flat, and really just describe egg noodles.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Or if she *really* wanted to be fancy, she could've used "conchiglie" and explained what it is. I'm assuming pasta packets are labelled with the variety in supermarkets e.g. spaghetti, fusilli, farfalle etc. But the Maxwells don't do fancy in any shape or form. 

eta: having looked things up it appears that pasta is a type of noodle. Confusing or wut! 

I think it's a regional dialect thing. Like the Maxwells, I am from the midwest and I call them noodles.

I wish I had some extra money, I would send a mixed spice box from Penzey's to Sarah. They are pro-choice, anti-trump, and have some wonderful combinations. Their sale right now is Mexican Vanilla, from the land where 2 years ago the Dorito in Chief said they were bringing all sorts of infectious diseases over the border. I love them. It would make Steve's eyes bleed to read their literature. :brainbleach:

I am in New England and we say pasta. I too, think of noodles as asian cuisine, not italian. I am used to fundies saying noodles in blogs though. 

6 hours ago, LuckyShot said:

When I was baptised into the Ukranian Orthodox church as an adult it was in a stock tank. We have a nice baptismal font for infants, but adult baptisms happen so rarely that I guess it didn't make sense to build an adult sized one. The kiddie pool seems way more practical actually, lol.

Me too on the stock tank!  ::::high five:::::  The parish where we were had bought a big, old Methodist church, with two fairly large tiled entryways - the tank fit nicely in one of those.  AFAIK, the kiddie pool thing wouldn't really work because full immersion is necessary (thought it made for a good laugh in the movie).  

I am all for using leftovers, but that "meal" looked positively revolting.  Great Value Italian dressing is not a "seasoning."

They have that big yard - do they even garden?  Or even just pots - hell, I live in an apartment but I still manage to grow basil, mint and rosemary out on my balcony.  Lots of fresh basil makes any pasta dish divine.  

There is a 4th of July recap up! My only thought was damn that dining room table really is huge. Fundy dining tables must be so expensive. 

18 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

There is a 4th of July recap up! My only thought was damn that dining room table really is huge. Fundy dining tables must be so expensive. 

Stud John is missing again...

my question is, aside from the grilling shot of Stevehova, why the hell were all the photos taken indoors?  how bad was the weather that they couldn't spend a significant portion of their day outside?

46 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

Stud John is missing again...

So were Mary and Anna - they are on that mission. 

Hey, though, Joshua finally gets to eat at the table without one of those giant bib smocks on, that's progress. Ruthie, Lydia, and Daniel appear to be wearing those food-catching bibs, which is a good thing because it'd be probably be so warm if they had yet another layer on over the umpteen ones they're already forced to wear. 

Come to think of it I'm surprised we've not had another pregnancy from that particular branch of Maxwells yet, isn't she about due another blessing?

16 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest how could you forget Sandra Lee's name?

My brain must have deliberately eliminated that toxin from my memory.  Oh, dear Rufus, that cake!  And the table-scapes and those drinks!

16 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Sometimes I wonder who their followers actually are. It usually seems that the Maxwells are just talking to themselves.

I think they have lost followers in droves.  They are too restrictive for many.  However, in their heyday of the conferences, OneTon Ramp, and the now outdated chore charts crap they did have quite a following.  They also used to have a forum to "encourage" moms.  I found it very depressing.  So many of the single income and mega  families were obviously struggling financially and finding it hard to feed the kids, and I spent very little time there.  Other long-term Maxwell watchers probably have more information on the forum.

12 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

I just stick leftovers in the microwave.

They got rid of the microwave.  I know not why.  Perhaps it wasn't Godly.

On the Baptismal Pools and Fonts issue.  I was incredibly happy when my parents left the Baptist church and started denomination shopping.  I was terrified of the dangerous looking Baptismal Pool under the lectern at my Grandmother's church - for adult baptism only.  I was also (perhaps wrongly) informed that when you were baptised you couldn't hold your nose as you were immersed because you needed to trust God to keep you from drowning.   Yikes!  (Yes, I was a wimpy child who was afraid of water.)

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

They got rid of the microwave.  I know not why.  Perhaps it wasn't Godly.

I think they said their microwave broke and they never replaced it. I actually never re-heat or cook food in the microwave. I don't think it tastes good. We have a microwave and I wish we didn't because it's very rarely used but hubby likes to know it's there, lol. 

i mostly use my microwave for defrosting.  i have the smallest one i could find, and i'd go even smaller if they made them.  i never cook in it; i'd rather boil something in plain water before cooking in the microwave.

33 minutes ago, Escadora said:

Hey, though, Joshua finally gets to eat at the table without one of those giant bib smocks on, that's progress. 

It looks like Melanie and Nathan's son (Andrew?) is now wearing one.

13 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I think it's a regional dialect thing.

I've heard a mix of both terms, usually depending on what type of cuisine is associated with the dish. So in a casserole or chicken soup it's noodles, but when it's Italian it's pasta with marinara sauce or whatever. 

15 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I think they said their microwave broke and they never replaced it. I actually never re-heat or cook food in the microwave. I don't think it tastes good. We have a microwave and I wish we didn't because it's very rarely used but hubby likes to know it's there, lol. 

I agree, the food just tastes better when it's heated up some other way. For most things, it's just/nearly as quick to heat up on the stove top or in a toaster oven. My microwave's built into the apartment, so I just use it as extra storage most of the time! 

13 minutes ago, catlady said:

i mostly use my microwave for defrosting.  i have the smallest one i could find, and i'd go even smaller if they made them.

I don't use mine much either.  Defrosting and reheating the odd cup of coffee mostly.  I did try baking a couple of potatoes in it recently (too hot to use the oven and it was energy efficient) but that wasn't a success. I could easily do without it.

Mine probably got its biggest work-out when I was trying to tempt a very sick dog to eat.  I heated baby food and made scrambled eggs with cheese for her in the microwave.  The dog liked the scrambled eggs but I thought they were awful.  Odd texture.

5 minutes ago, December said:

I've heard a mix of both terms, usually depending on what type of cuisine is associated with the dish. So in a casserole or chicken soup it's noodles, but when it's Italian it's pasta with marinara sauce or whatever. 

This.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived