IGNORED

Maxwell 10: Following the 15 minute schedule and the monthly menu

Coconut Flan

Sarah's doing some traveling, things may be "changing soon", AND a new hair cut???

I really don't want to believe, but is it remotely possible that they are actually nudging her into the marriage market after all of these years? I can't think of another occasion when a member of the family has been taken on as many little "treat" trips/visits, and given as much special attention as Sarah has gotten lately. It could be because of her healing injury, but unless she's hamming it up like Lady Macbeth, it doesn't seem like that would warrant much coddling. 

Either way, she looks happy and the shorter hair suits her. Whether it's Sarah's news or not, it seems like something's up over in MaxPurgatory. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarah's new hair looks nice.  not a drastic change, but the before pic showed what appeared to be some seriously dry ends; mine does this too--it's my sign to chop off a few inches.  Her hair looks a lot softer now.  

i did not watch the video.  they said to watch it below.  very stilted writing.  bad writing.  video might be same.  (i just can't stomach their videos, but i had to make fun of the crappily-written intro; it's unsigned, so i'm thinking maybe Steve wrote it, since it reads like his replies to reader comments....)

ETA:  i'm going to make their chocolate chip muffins for breakfast today.  i may call them SteveMuffins.  

I made the SteveMuffins, and they were pretty good. I did use too many chocolate chips; I measured a generous 3/4 C, and had so few left in the bag that I threw them in too; we basically had chocolate for breakfast. Since I have only one 6-cup muffin tray, I made a mini-loaf with the other half of the mix.

Sarah's hair does look cute but she sounds like a little girl who's mommy took her to get a haircut the way the post is written.

Sarah's hair looks very nice! Oh boy the two t-shirt thing still gets me. *eyeroll* I'm glad her outing with Teri was "sweet." I think Sarah needs to experience some other form of fun in her life besides getting a coffee with her cult mates. Please let there be a different life for Sarah Maxwell, amen. 

Sarah's hair looks really nice but I'm thinking it's not because she's courting I think it's because she isn't. They are "letting" her do all these "fun" things to keep her happy and not turn into a puddle of depression like Teri. 

Sarah got the Two Animal Crackers cut at the salon: two snips, two curls.... 

(Three of either and even a micro-move of her part would have been too much, too much!!)

On 6/29/2017 at 6:20 PM, divadivine said:

Explain this one to me. Stevehova will not allow his precious children move more than 8/10 of a mile from the compound, but Anna-Marie and Elisa were expected to move hours from their families? Stevehova you're a dick. 

Okay, bare with me here cause this is going to be a long shot. I know throughout various places in the bible it talks about the woman having to follow the husband. for example,

Ruth 1:16 "But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.”

I think passages such as this may be why the woman is sometimes excepted to leave her family when marrying a fundie man.  Like Anna Duggar.  She left her family behind in Florida when she married Josh.  Same with her sister Ester and Priscilla.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎01 at 6:43 AM, mango_fandango said:

Yep, Chris's family was there. In one of the photos Teri is sitting on the ground with lydia on her lap, and Joshua is visible in the background of another photo.

NEW POST!!! About dieting. Specifically Eat to Live by Dr Fuhrman. https://blog.titus2.com/2017/07/01/eat-to-live-a-great-way-to-lose-weight/

I suppose it's better than Serene Allison's "Trim Healthy Mama" nonsense (a diet where she describes broccoli as "decadent" with absolute seriousness).  That Nancy Campbell's SOTDRT-educated daughters offer medical and diet advice still boggles my mind. 

At least Fuhrman is a medical doctor and former professional athlete.  And I'm actually a little (pleasantly) surprised that the Maxwells would recommend a non-fundie scientist's advice on their blog. 

I'm a little behind on the maxwell stuff- what injury did Sarah have?

ETA: also, and I promise I don't mean this as anything against Abby, but it's clear by watching the video that she has a pretty obvious speech problem. I had one as a child as well but I went to public school and was able to get help with it there. I wonder if they are doing anything to help Abby with it?

Penn Jillette  also uses the Fuhrman diet.

12 hours ago, catlady said:

i did not watch the video.  they said to watch it below.  very stilted writing.  bad writing.  video might be same.  (i just can't stomach their videos, but i had to make fun of the crappily-written intro; it's unsigned, so i'm thinking maybe Steve wrote it, since it reads like his replies to reader comments....)

The video consisted of an intro from Sarah followed by brief statements from the older grandkids (Bethany, Tina, Abby, and Josh) about what Independence Day means. The kids are cute. I did notice, however, that all three of the girls have the same speech impediment. They say Ws instead of Rs. This is normal for a little kid Tina's age, but Abby should have outgrown that by now.

2 hours ago, Tater_Toddler said:

ETA: also, and I promise I don't mean this as anything against Abby, but it's clear by watching the video that she has a pretty obvious speech problem. I had one as a child as well but I went to public school and was able to get help with it there. I wonder if they are doing anything to help Abby with it?

Well, of course you don't mean anything against Abby.  Having a speech impediment is certainly not her fault.  I'm glad you found help.

1 hour ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I did notice, however, that all three of the girls have the same speech impediment. They say Ws instead of Rs. This is normal for a little kid Tina's age, but Abby should have outgrown that by now.

They all have rhotacism.  Or de-rhotacism, as it is sometimes called.  A problem with pronouncing the letter R.  It is quite common and R is the last sound that most children master.   B & C may still grow out of it, but I think they could all benefit from speech therapy sooner rather than later.  

The Maxwells may not bother to get them help.  You never know with the Maxwells though.

I have rhotacism too.  I had speech therapy that helped me to substitute what is called a "French R" but thanks to a malformed palate I have never been able to perform a proper trilled R.  

It is not through lack of effort.  I worked really hard to train my tongue for years but it was a loosing proposition.  I can fake my "R"s reasonably well with concentration but if I am tired those "w"s come sneaking back.

Speech therapy can help rhotacism but may not be able to cure it completely.  Having a speech impediment has no relevance to intelligence, obviously, and is not a moral failing either. :)  

It is still surprising to me that some people (not anyone on this thread) still choose to mock speech impediments.  They are not fun to have to deal with.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, of course you don't mean anything against Abby.  Having a speech impediment is certainly not her fault.  I'm glad you found help.

I would never make fun of a kid with a speech impediment. However, I can't help but think if these kids were in school like normal kids, they would have received speech therapy. Instead, they're isolated at home, where they are unlikely to receive help for their problem (or any other problem, for that matter).

Side note: In the Moody books, the 4-year-old sister had a speech impediment in the beginning. Or else it's just baby talk. But after the second or third book, she starts correcting the problem herself. Because this is what preschoolers do, right?

4 hours ago, Tater_Toddler said:

Here's the whole sordid saga for your edification!

How many of us enjoy the concept of just being still? Waiting. Quietly.

Almost two weeks ago, a 30 pound kettlebell rolled out of a vehicle onto my foot and made its impression on my big toe. Yep. It’s true. The pain was super intense. Anyway, I took it easy for almost a week and then got back into my normal physical activity. That was a mistake as I completely set it back. Likely the toe was fractured or broken, and there’s not much that can be done except for scaling back on activity and being careful, allowing time for it to heal. I don’t prefer to reduce my activity, but guess what? Man plans, but the Lord determines our ways. The Lord was gently reminding me of two words today “Be Still.” Yes, Lord.

What is the Lord teaching you to be still on today? I’d love to hear in the comment section below ↓↓↓.

Love,
Sarah

That was written by a 'mid-thirties published author'? :o:P

@Palimpsest,  the actors Kay Francis, Marlene Dietrich, Claude Rains all had rhotacism.  Kay was the top box office star at Warners in the early 30s and well, Claude was Captain Renault in Casablanca, Dr Jacquith in Now Voyager, Alex Sebastian in Notorious among other roles.  Claude was a legend of stage and screen. He taught both Sir John Gielgud and Charles Laughton at the RADA.  Marlene was another legend from her early days in German cinema through her Hollywood years. None of these actors had their career completely ruined by their rhotacism.

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest,  the actors Kay Francis, Marlene Dietrich, Claude Rains all had rhotacism.  Kay was the top box office star at Warners in the early 30s and well, Claude was Captain Renault in Casablanca, Dr Jacquith in Now Voyager, Alex Sebastian in Notorious among other roles.  Claude was a legend of stage and screen. He taught both Sir John Gielgud and Charles Laughton at the RADA.  Marlene was another legend from her early days in German cinema through her Hollywood years. None of these actors had their career completely ruined by their rhotacism.

Does Barbara Walters have that too?  It seems like her W's and R's get reversed.  She's done very well for herself as well.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:56 PM, SPHASH said:

Back to the baptism, interesting that Drew in Tina preferred to sit with Goofy Anna and Scary Mary than Wonder Woman Melanie's side of the family although Drew was pictured with Melanie's nephew later.

Did the kids prefer it or were Anna and Mary their "guards" so the evil Maher clan could not plant any evil thoughts in their innocent minds?

@PennySycamore, I love Kay Francis!  Especially the pre-Code movies.  Yes, the others too.

@kpmom.  Back in the early days, SNL had a recurring skit where Gilda Radner, may she rest in peace, mocked Baba Wawa.  I never found it funny, but Barbara Walters apparently has a better sense of humor than I do. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/gilda-radner-impression-finally-earned-barbara-walters-approval-article-1.1161438

In the UK there is also the successful actor, comedian, chat show host,  Jonathan Ross, commonly known as "Wossy."  For the record though, I don't think Matt LeBlanc (the Friends actor) has rhotacism.  He just has a Boston accent!

11 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

In the Moody books, the 4-year-old sister had a speech impediment in the beginning. Or else it's just baby talk. But after the second or third book, she starts correcting the problem herself. Because this is what preschoolers do, right?

Yes, that was so annoying to read and I've only waded through the first Moody book!  Most children can correct the problems themselves, especially if their parents and others gently help them with clear enunciation.  However, children of Abby's age who are still having difficulty could really benefit from proper speech therapy.

The Maxwells might do something about it.  I truly hope they do.

@CyborgKin, when did Sarah break her toe?  I'm quite clumsy and have managed to break lots of bones in my feet but they did not take that long to heal.  The most painful was when I fractured my big toe in 3 places.  It hurt like the devil for a few days but I only spent about a week on crutches, limped for a bit, and was fully recovered and able to resume running in 6 weeks.

If Sarah is still complaining about her toe hurting she may have fractured more bones than she is admitting to - or this is a sneaky way for her to avoid exercising with her sisters. ;)

@Palimpsest,  I love Kay Francis, too.  She was so glamorous!  The first time I heard of Kay was in a line by Sally Bowles in Cabaret.

My youngest daughter needed speech therapy, but she got it at her public school.  Apparently, her speech problems were corrected well enough that she could consider a career in broadcast meteorology.  She does speak a lot in her current job, where she deals with people all day.  I hope Ruthie gets the help, if she needs it.

I doubt they would get their kids speech therapy. The only kids the Maxwell grandchildren are around are each other and possible any kids that go to the nursing home church.  

I had the same issue with pronouncing R's as W's; i never thought of it as an impediment, and i stopped doing it while i was in kindergarten.  i never had any speech therapy.  in hindsight, i wonder if i figured out how to say the letter correctly by being around the other kids every day and talking with them.  and of course the Maxwell grandkids won't have that opportunity.  it's interesting that all of them do the same thing, but then they have only each other to talk to on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I doubt they would get their kids speech therapy. The only kids the Maxwell grandchildren are around are each other and possible any kids that go to the nursing home church.  

Since the kids are expected to be great conversationalists I would expect speech therapy.

I had issues with R's too. In Kindergarten &  1st grade I had speech therapy. It went away by 2nd grade. But, I went to an evil public school that was more concerned with my education and cognitive abilities than in my salvation, so priorities were obviously very different than in a Maxwell homeschool environment.

50 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Since the kids are expected to be great conversationalists I would expect speech therapy.

Exactly!  As Steve expects his family to be practically perfect in every way, out of all the Fundie families we follow the Maxkids may have the best chance at getting speech therapy.  Steve wouldn't want grandchildren with speech impediments.

2 hours ago, catlady said:

I had the same issue with pronouncing R's as W's; i never thought of it as an impediment, and i stopped doing it while i was in kindergarten.

As I said earlier, most children figure it out by themselves or just need to shown how to form an "R" using their tongue properly.   In some people (like me) the inability to form an "R" is due to a physical issue.  There are training exercises speech therapists show you to help the tongue but they don't succeed for everyone.  

This guy explains the "fake R" (using your lips and teeth) clearly though.  

And if this "defect" is now common in the UK in those under 30 I think I'll move back!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived