IGNORED

Maxwell 10: Following the 15 minute schedule and the monthly menu

Coconut Flan

@Palimpsest, thanks for posting the Tom Scott video. If only the linguistics class I had 40 years ago at UGA had been that interesting!  I subscribed to Tom's youtube channel.  

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest, thanks for posting the Tom Scott video. If only the linguistics class I had 40 years ago at UGA had been that interesting!  I subscribed to Tom's youtube channel.  

I just found him myself, but you are welcome!  I really like his gender neutral pronouns video. :)

On the baptism thing. In my non-denominational Christian Church (and in some denominations) a child must be old enough to comprehend what is going on and to explain how to receive Salvation. I'm not going to debate that--just fyi. Any baptized believer can baptize another--it is not like a Catholic "Sacrament" that must be given by ordained clergy. A swimming pool is what they had and is perfectly acceptable. Kids are baptized that way at Church Camp every year (and yes, my Church Camp required parental approval for baptism).  Baptism is only by immersion except in a rare instance of, say, a dying frail elderly person.

Anyone else thinking of My Big Fat Greek Wedding though? The blow up kiddie pool in the Orthodox Church? Lol

@IReallyAmHopewell, my grandfather was baptized by a Methodist minister in the hospital shortly before he died.  My dad didn't think the form of baptism mattered so much.  His mom went to the Methodist church down the street from her house once she moved into town and eventually my parents joined the UMC because their Southern Baptist church went fundie on them.

On 7/4/2017 at 8:04 AM, catlady said:

we basically had chocolate for breakfast.

Chocolate:  Always a good decision.

12 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@CyborgKin, when did Sarah break her toe?  I'm quite clumsy and have managed to break lots of bones in my feet but they did not take that long to heal.  The most painful was when I fractured my big toe in 3 places.  It hurt like the devil for a few days but I only spent about a week on crutches, limped for a bit, and was fully recovered and able to resume running in 6 weeks.

She said 'almost two weeks ago' in the May 6th post, so late April: https://blog.titus2.com/2017/05/06/being-still/

7 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Any baptized believer can baptize another--it is not like a Catholic "Sacrament" that must be given by ordained clergy.

Actually, in an emergency, anybody can baptize a Catholic baby. 

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

Same for the ELCA, the Lutheran denomination I grew up in. I was baptized by a nurse as a premature infant. She told my parents afterwards...but they were happy with it.

Popping in just to say that I've been eating a lot of turkey and cheese sandwiches lately, and EVERY TIME I take a slice of cheese out of the package, I think of the Maxwells. :my_biggrin:

(For those who haven't been mired in Maxhell for the better part of TEN YEARS (!!!), this is what they consider to be hilarious hijinks.)

A new haircut for Sarah! That must be a huge treat in Maxwell terms. 

She genuinely looks great with her new 'do. I still feel very much sorry for her, as I highly doubt she will ever stand a chance of meeting someone and starting a satellite Maxhell of her own. 

I know I am stating the obvious here, but It is very sad, whenever you read the "about" page on the blog, and see that "Sarah would love to be a wife and a mother, but she’s waiting on the Lord for that right guy". 

On 7/4/2017 at 5:53 PM, FloraDoraDolly said:

The video consisted of an intro from Sarah followed by brief statements from the older grandkids (Bethany, Tina, Abby, and Josh) about what Independence Day means. The kids are cute. I did notice, however, that all three of the girls have the same speech impediment. They say Ws instead of Rs. This is normal for a little kid Tina's age, but Abby should have outgrown that by now.

I suppose when they don't talk to anyone outside of their family. Maybe they would not have this if they went to public school or at least talked to other people. You would think their parents would notice.

4 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Same for the ELCA, the Lutheran denomination I grew up in. I was baptized by a nurse as a premature infant. She told my parents afterwards...but they were happy with it.

Man, that is a minefield. TBH, if a nurse baptized/religious ceremony'd my sick child without my consent or approval, I'd be pissed. As in, raising holy hell to hospital administration-level pissed. Part of that, I think, is because as a Jew, I come from a religion with a long history of forced or coerced conversions to other religions. I know that some NICU nurse sprinkling water on my kid's forehead wouldn't really matter that much, but it just plays into that history.

I guess I'm lucky that the religious initiation ceremony for (male) babies in Judaism is circumcision; I'd sure as hell notice if someone decided to "welcome" my son into the Jewish community without my consent.

^Uh, yeah. I was going to say that what that nurse did sounds illegal and were I in that situation I would also have raised a huge stink.

16 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

On the baptism thing. In my non-denominational Christian Church (and in some denominations) a child must be old enough to comprehend what is going on and to explain how to receive Salvation. I'm not going to debate that--just fyi. Any baptized believer can baptize another--it is not like a Catholic "Sacrament" that must be given by ordained clergy. A swimming pool is what they had and is perfectly acceptable. Kids are baptized that way at Church Camp every year (and yes, my Church Camp required parental approval for baptism).  Baptism is only by immersion except in a rare instance of, say, a dying frail elderly person.

Anyone else thinking of My Big Fat Greek Wedding though? The blow up kiddie pool in the Orthodox Church? Lol

In the Catholic Church, anyone can baptize another person, and in the eyes of the Church, the baptism is valid.  It would normally be done e.g. in the event of imminent death.

<<Anyone else thinking of My Big Fat Greek Wedding though? The blow up kiddie pool in the Orthodox Church? Lol>>

I am Orthodox and I howled at that scene.  :my_biggrin:

Our current parish has a new-ish church building (finished last year) and the baptismal pool is built into the floor of the narthex!  It's really cool - you'd have no idea it's there, but when baptism time comes, you lift up a section of the floor and voila - baptismal with its own water taps and everything.  Nifty Galifty, as X the Owl used to say.

10 hours ago, Granwych said:

Just to add: In an emergency any Catholic can act as a priest. I'm technically still Catholic (belief being a different matter), so in an emergency, I can baptise, hear last confessions, absolve, do last rites and so on.

While my "tribe" is rather formal, and I personally see a lot of issues, I'd rather that we're not misrepresented. We get vilified way too much already, let's not add misinformation.

ETA: By "we", I mean your standard Catholic. If anyone wants to vilify the Vatican...? Let me grab my pitchfork and torch!  But that's personal on my part.

9 hours ago, darkplumaged said:

Popping in just to say that I've been eating a lot of turkey and cheese sandwiches lately, and EVERY TIME I take a slice of cheese out of the package, I think of the Maxwells. :my_biggrin:

(For those who haven't been mired in Maxhell for the better part of TEN YEARS (!!!), this is what they consider to be hilarious hijinks.)

I hadn't seen that before. There's the famous Maxwell passive voice again: "An exclamation was heard." WHO WRITES LIKE THAT?

13 hours ago, darkplumaged said:

Good thing I sat down before opening that post, lol.

10 hours ago, Alicepooh said:

A new haircut for Sarah! That must be a huge treat in Maxwell terms. 

She genuinely looks great with her new 'do. I still feel very much sorry for her, as I highly doubt she will ever stand a chance of meeting someone and starting a satellite Maxhell of her own. 

I know I am stating the obvious here, but It is very sad, whenever you read the "about" page on the blog, and see that "Sarah would love to be a wife and a mother, but she’s waiting on the Lord for that right guy". 

Steve probably told ther that the lord is keeping her for himself(the lord, that is)

reading that post made me a little sad; i wonder if they miss their road trips.  granted, if anyone can make a road trip boring, it's Steve & Co., but compared to the whole-lot-of-nothing they do now.......

it's also kind of sad that Sarah's writing style hasn't changed in 9 years.  if i hadn't looked at the date, i could have thought it was from last summer.

oh lordie, the 4-ingredient leftovers recipe. Thank goodness they provided pictures. I never would have thought of combining pasta + vegetables + cheese.  And seasonings! What a radical idea!

My whole worldview has changed. 

/sarcasm

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

oh lordie, the 4-ingredient leftovers recipe. Thank goodness they provided pictures. I never would have thought of combining pasta + vegetables + cheese.  And seasonings! What a radical idea!

My whole worldview has changed. 

/sarcasm

There was no cheese. It was beans, pasta, meat, and broccoli. Sounds good except for the meat looked gross. And they said the key was "seasoning" and pointed out some Italian dressing and a premade blend of "Italian" spices. For future homemakers, they really aren't that great at cooking. 

You have to keep scrolling down through the photos.  After the seasonings, the last photo is top with cheese and has some melted stuff on top.

9 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

You have to keep scrolling down through the photos.  After the seasonings, the last photo is top with cheese and has some melted stuff on top.

Ugh, gross. Makes me think of Rachael Ray's "Cooking" 

5 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Makes me think of Rachael Ray's "Cooking" 

Or that "semi-home made" dunce.  I've obliterated her name from my memory.

Yes, unfortunately there was cheese.  The last picture: "Top with cheese and enjoy."  No thanks, it doesn't look very appealing.  And i don't think it was particularly healthy.  Oil, cheese, smoked meat, pasta and tiny portions of vegetables.

So Maxwell.  The hubris of assuming that others don't know what to do with leftovers and praising Anna to the skies as such an inspired cook for that.  She fried a few leftovers together (the broccoli already looked overcooked) and then slopped in some commercial salad dressing and some BBQ seasoning.  

IIRC the most common problem that a lot of their followers with huge families have is not enough food to go around.  Most of them probably don't have leftovers,

I just watched Sarah's Moody series plug for the first time (link for those interested) and hooooooly crap. It's so cringeworthy. It is simultaneously 1) like something Amy Poehler would have done on SNL and 2) like something an alien desperate to fit in with the human world would say on her first venture out into a mall or a post office. 

Also: Anna's "dish" looked terrible. The "smoked meat" looked like pulled pork, which I am all about, but not with pasta. Here's what I would have done: eaten all of those things separately. Literally just warm them up in their respective containers and eat them. Don't even get me started on the Italian dressing + BBQ seasoning combo.

Edit: I just watched that video again. If I ever teach public speaking or communications, that video is at the top of the syllabus for things not to do.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived