IGNORED

Dillards 31: Grifting, Lying, and Allergies

Coconut Flan

19 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I consider myself tall and have no problems standing on the Tube, even by the doors (I'm 5'7").

I'm 5'9" and until a few months ago always wore my hair up in a high bun that added a few inches. I guess that makes the difference! 

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toyota Corolla is the current car, I think I will keep her! She's a beauty eh? 

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

For those of us who don't have cars/drive, we could talk about favorite public transportation. I miss the Metro in St. Petersburg.  The Russian subways are the best I've ever been on -- the trains come every 90 seconds on average, the stations are clean and gorgeous, and a ticket is very inexpensive. I also like taking the escalators that go so far down you can barely see where they end. 

The New York subway seems to be crumbling around us as we speak, ugh. 

I love the streetcars in Toronto (the older ones).  I like that you're outside, clattering along through some of the interesting neighbourhoods of Toronto, and that the windows open.

Least favourite is the Scarborough RT.  How it is still running is a mystery to me, people on it are grouchy and everyone wants to stand in front of the doors and won't let you in/out.  I actually had a man call me a c*nt 'cause I asked him to move out of the door way once.

Loved the tube in London as well.

I drive a Mercedes CLK, but I say it's an MLC (mid-life crisis)!

I have a Ford Focus. It's more than 10 years old. It gets me from point A to B. Gets decent gas mileage. Parts are readily available and it's easy to work on. It's a car. 

Now, if you want to talk to me about running shoes...

Yay, thread drift!

I lived in London for 2,5 years, which for me was a dream come true. Some people are a bit overwhelmed by the tube system, but I found it easy to navigate, too. Figuring out how to get from A to B with a bus still remains a mystery for me, though (and I also learned to never ever use a bus when you need to be somewhere on time, lol)l. Even as a very polite person, you start to hate everyone when you have to use the tube twice a day during rush hour. Personal boundaries/space do not exist down there and as a colleague from work once put it: "Everything I learned about not making eye contact I learned on the London tube" :pb_lol:  Also, the speed walking is crazy, sometimes you feel like a rat in a labyrinth. Friends and family visiting from Germany always had a hard time keeping up.

My favourite line is the DLR, which runs mostly overground, so you get to see Greenwich and the docklands area, for example. The trains are also much more spacious.

Back to baby watch: Neither Jill, Derrick (4 days) nor Jessa (6 days) have posted anything on Instagram recently. The duggarfam account is pretty silent as well. Jill and Derick don't post that much, but 6 days is a lot for Jessa, no? I say something's up :kitty-shifty: Or are they really that busy taking out the trash (really, Ben, brilliant observation, "two kids, more diapers")?

ETA: Okay, they posted a pic of Israel on the DFO page yesterday:

His plate looks like a cat/dog bowl. And do you normally strap in a child of Izzy's age? (I know they are not considered normal).

4 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Actual car: Toyota Camry that is a color that inspired my user name. Will keep it until the wheels fall off.

Fantasy car: Tesla

Oh, and cars should have space for the driver's purse, stupid male car designers.

And, as long as that baby isn't born anywhere near July 20, I'm good.

What's funny, is your username is the name of my daughter's school and the nearby neighborhood!

Actual car: Subaru  Forester, which was new to me (used).

Dream car: Completely new, paid off car, must be 4wd where I am (at least for me).

Public transportation locally is hellish. Otherwise my favorites are London or The Netherlands. 

WHAT DID I TELL YOU GUYS ABOUT THREAD DRIFT WHEN THERE'S A BABY ABOUT TO BE BORN??? :my_angry:

This is my FJ time of the day, when I've come home from work and am chilling with the iPad for half an hour to shake the day off. I usually start with Lori and Shrader, swing by ZsuZsu and then hit the Duggars. And when I saw the Dillwad's thread has jumped a few pages today I thought 'Ooo, excellent!! - thunderbirds are obviously go...maybe I'll make a snack because I could be here for a while. Yippee, new snark!!"

Cars. Bloody cars.

Oh, and public transport. It's pretty humid here today and I'm sweating grubbily just THINKING about that....

I'm now flouncing off to the quiver full of politics. Don't even THINK about luring me back where until we have a Dillbaby and the full and juicy details of the birth!

:pb_mrgreen:

2 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Yay, thread drift!

I lived in London for 2,5 years, which for me was a dream come true. Some people are a bit overwhelmed by the tube system, but I found it easy to navigate, too. Figuring out how to get from A to B with a bus still remains a mystery for me, though (and I also learned to never ever use a bus when you need to be somewhere on time, lol)l. Even as a very polite person, you start to hate everyone when you have to use the tube twice a day during rush hour. Personal boundaries/space do not exist down there and as a colleague from work once put it: "Everything I learned about not making eye contact I learned on the London tube" :pb_lol:  Also, the speed walking is crazy, sometimes you feel like a rat in a labyrinth. Friends and family visiting from Germany always had a hard time keeping up.

My favourite line is the DLR, which runs mostly overground, so you get to see Greenwich and the docklands area, for example. The trains are also much more spacious.

Back to baby watch: Neither Jill, Derrick (4 days) nor Jessa (6 days) have posted anything on Instagram recently. The duggarfam account is pretty silent as well. Jill and Derick don't post that much, but 6 days is a lot for Jessa, no? I say something's up :kitty-shifty: Or are they really that busy taking out the trash (really, Ben, brilliant observation, "two kids, more diapers")?

ETA: Okay, they posted a pic of Israel on the DFO page yesterday:

His plate looks like a cat/dog bowl. And do you normally strap in a child of Izzy's age? (I know they are not considered normal).

I never strapped mine in when they were that big. I stopped with the should straps as soon as they sat up relatively good by themselves. It's not like they can go anywhere with the tray table.

Chicago's El consistently smells like piss. lol

Current Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue, 160K miles and going strong. 

Fantasy Car: I don't have one.  

Love the tube in London.  hate San Fran's public transport, three or four systems but none are truly connected, drives me crazy. 

6 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Chicago's El consistently smells like piss. lol

As someone who went to college in Chicago I can wholeheartedly agree!

Chicken nuggets and French fries are a "Yummy lunch for Izzy"? Gross. All those people and nobody could make him a real lunch? 

2 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Could be a heated bowl, sometimes they look like that. Also, if he wasn't strapped (I don't at that age) we would be complaining about that. His chair seems clean so for once, nothing to snark about. Is this at Jimboob's? That could be a labor-warning. 

5 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Chicken nuggets and French fries are a "Yummy lunch for Izzy"? Gross. All those people and nobody could make him a real lunch? 

Yes, God forbid a kid eats some chicken nuggets and fries for lunch. What a travesty. :pb_rollseyes:

@SapphireSlytherin,  one of my neighbors had a Mercedes that she dearly loved.  She'd had it for years and wanted it to be her forever car. Then some woman backed out of a driveway in front of her.  The damage to her car was minimal but there was damage and the part to fix the car was not available in the US and had to be ordered from Germany.  It wasn't long after that that she bought a Toyota.  She knew she'd have the same trouble getting parts if she had another problem.

@Kangaroo,  my MINI is British Racing Green with an Irish flag in the roof.  The flag is put on the wrong way, that is the stripes go from the windshield to the boot instead of across the car from window to window.  I like it though and if I replace my flag, I'll get this one done the wrong way too.  I once saw a picture of my car before it was my car with her former owners at MINIs on the Dragon in 2003 or '04.  I've never done the Dragon myself, but my car has!

Btw, my dream stove is a British Racing Green Lacanche Cluny.

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yes, God forbid a kid eats some chicken nuggets and fries for lunch. What a travesty. :pb_rollseyes:

Serving your kid lunch in a dog bowl is a travesty. 

As someone who grew up around and is still going to school in Chicago, I'll defend the L.  While it's far from perfect, it runs and gets you where you need to be.  Sure it could be cleaner, more reliable, or more efficient, but it gets the job done and it's fairly easy to navigate.

And even though I have very little experience with it, the Athens metro is pretty awesome!  When I took it, it was clean, fast, and the stations had artifacts for everyone to see!

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Serving your kid lunch in a dog bowl is a travesty. 

Lol. I think it's that suction cup kind of bowl that adheres to the tray, so that the kid can't throw it. 

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

The Metro in Washington DC won the prize for the worst subway system for at least four or five years running. And 'running' might not be the best term. More like 'stuck in an unconditioned car in a tunnel for half an hour".

Has there ever been a time when everything on the DC metro was running smoothly? No delays, all elevators and escalators working, air conditioning working...

4 hours ago, Karma said:

We have a Subaru Outback on lease thru my husband's package. Turn it over every 4 years.  It was great when the kids were younger and I had bikes on a rack, and took the kids camping, but these days I think it's too big, s

We love the Subaru Forester. Still a great vehicle, not as large.

My kids never had straps when they were in the high chairs.. when did this happen?

And Izzy neither needs a dog bowl nor heated food in a suction cup bowl. He's big enough to eat.

16 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Lol. I think it's that suction cup kind of bowl that adheres to the tray, so that the kid can't throw it. 

No excuses, it looks like it's for a pet, not a child. :pb_lol: 

I'm somewhat defending the NYC transit system here.    It runs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year so schedule changes and diversions are necessary evils in order to do basic maintenance and cleaning.  It has about  480 stations,hundreds of miles of track, and daily ridership of more than 5 million people.

The reason that many of the stations are a nightmare of twisting passages and stairways is that the subway lines were privately built in the early 20th century and were in competion to each other and not unified under the city control until the 1940s.

There is definite room for improvement, but the city system is in effect controlled by the state which has  different prioities.  Many of the problems could be ameliorated by massive infusions of money plus shutdowns of the system to allow structural rebuilding instead of repair of parts that are more than 100 years old.

I went to school in DC/VA area and originally loved the DC metro because of the metro card (philly still uses tokens (!!! only city in America) and at least for me as a college student did me well in terms of getting me to place in a reasonable amount of time. I went back to visit this past February and it was horrible (I've kept up with how single track didn't do shit) but now Philly is improving slightly even though trains aren't on time and that we're finally getting a metro card slowly but soonish?

19 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

No excuses, it looks like it's for a pet, not a child. :pb_lol: 

At least it's not a can this time!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived