IGNORED

Dillards 31: Grifting, Lying, and Allergies

Coconut Flan

22 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

@SapphireSlytherin re the Central Line did you know that if you look carefully when the train is going between Holborn and Tottenham Court Road you can see the platforms for the old British museum stop that closed in the 30s? I am a sad Tube nerd. 

I should have looked more carefully! Holborn was my stop for school!

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Growing up close to NYC, I do not understand why the DC metro CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT. WHY DOES IT STOP RUNNING? I once had to pay $30 to get an uber back to my apartment in Maryland because the concert I was at ended right after midnight. It sucks. 

Because they're assholes? Because they don't like fun?

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

We just got back from DC and enjoyed the metro. It would be nice if it went out to Dulles. Wolf boy and his wife got off at a sketchy station once. The cops werde behind a barrier and didn't help when they were about go be accosted by a gang. Fortunately a train came in and they were able to escape. We used to stay in Pacifica and used BART  to get into SF. Used the subway in Boston, Guadalajara, Paris and London. Love subways.

The new silver line is supposed to go out to Dulles eventually. I'm glad a train came and your sone and DIL were safe! It doesn't surprise me the metro cops were useless, sadly.

13 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

Either direction it's on the left hand side. Slightly easier to see going westbound but visible both ways. 

Good to know! So, have you read The 32 Stops:  The Central Line? It's on my Amazon wish list...

I'm just here to say that " Unproven Birth Canal"  sounds like good metal or punk band name.

:my_biggrin:

44 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Iamtheway, don't hate me for this, but I found your account of your old car funny, especially the radio  not working unless the left rear door was open.  That's the kind of detail that adds richness to stories.  It makes me think of that story by James Thurber "The Car We Had to Push".

Absolutly no hate. :)

We do have a habbit of driving our cars until they break down in weird ways and has to be replaced. I think it's because we both hate shopping for cars so much that we always leave it a little too long. 

We did buy our first car together mainly because it was being sold on the street next to ours and we couldn't be bothered to go further away. It was Sunday. We were tired. That one was a Nissan and I loved it. We sold it because we were going travelling but the windscreen wipers on it did break somewhere under the hood. So whenever you used them some parts would disconnect and you had to stop the car to put them back together. 

If we had lived in a less rainy country this would not have been as annoying as it was ... 

19 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

'splain, please?

A spot delivery is where the dealership has you sign all the financing paperwork and lets you take the vehicle home, only to come back a week or two later and say there's problems with the loan. Usually its the bank wanting more money down, or will approve but at a higher interest rate than what you agreed to when you signed. 

In our case, they gave us the minivan for almost 2 weeks without the loan being fully approved (but had us sign all the paperwork as if it was a done deal already) and when they got caught, we had a fit and returned the van.  Cost us about $200 in "mileage" charges for those days we drove the van. Beware of this!! Costly lesson for us!

3 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

Tell me about it. They just raised fares again and I'm pushing $10 a day for my commute...

Well in Baltimore you can pay over $25 per day to park, so it's still a bargain! Add in the tolls if you go through the tunnels~

1 hour ago, EmainMacha said:

@SapphireSlytherin re the Central Line did you know that if you look carefully when the train is going between Holborn and Tottenham Court Road you can see the platforms for the old British museum stop that closed in the 30s? I am a sad Tube nerd. 

Ooh, my husband is a train nerd and stays in a hotel very close to the British Museum twice a year when he's in London.  I'll ask him if he's noticed!  The nearest tube stop is Holborn, one right at the museum would be so convenient.

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

Growing up close to NYC, I do not understand why the DC metro CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT. WHY DOES IT STOP RUNNING? I once had to pay $30 to get an uber back to my apartment in Maryland because the concert I was at ended right after midnight. It sucks. 

Because there's so little nightlife here that they wouldn't take in enough money to cover the cost. At least the Nats pay them to stay open late if a game goes into extra innings. Back in the '90s, when I used to stay out late, the maybe three late-night restaurants in the city were always packed.

It used to run until 2 on Fri/Sat, but since Metro delayed maintenance for around 20 years, we're all paying the price now. There's plenty of night life in DC. But most people use Uber/Lyft to take advantage of it because Metro is useless.

30 minutes ago, maple802 said:

It used to run until 2 on Fri/Sat, but since Metro delayed maintenance for around 20 years, we're all paying the price now. There's plenty of night life in DC. But most people use Uber/Lyft to take advantage of it because Metro is useless.

Yup it used to be open on Friday and Saturday nights, but then rails started catching on fire and there were some deadly accidents. 

For people asking about straps on high chairs - I'm pretty sure that's a standard feature now due to safety. My kid is six months old and I always strap her in. No way am I going to risk her slamming her head into the tray or the floor because she moved suddenly.

I would guess a kid Izzy's age is big enough to not really have that concern. I'm thinking they may have him strapped in either because:

1. He's smart enough to somehow get out of the chair and the straps slow him down or prevent that.

or

2. They have enough sense to realize that a lot of people would crucify them for sharing a photo without Izzy being strapped in.

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yes, God forbid a kid eats some chicken nuggets and fries for lunch. What a travesty. :pb_rollseyes:

I had chicken strips and fries for dinner, and a banana shake.  Steak and Shake FTW!  As for the straps Izzy is a climber, I'd strap him in too.  

I drive a 2016 Jetta, we have no public transport in Des Moines, but where I work we have a lot so it is free.  Thank goodness. 

New tweet from Derick. He also deleted the first version and on the second version he added the word Christian. 

Jill posted pics on Instagram. Still pregnant, but it looks like Samuelito has dropped a little bit. 

Spoiler

Nothing to see here.

Sorry, FJ and my phone aren't the best of friends.

I'm agreeing Jill's bump has dropped. Not long now until the baby attempts to prove thebirth canal.

1 hour ago, maple802 said:

Will the metro start running late once SafeTrack ends? 

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Yup it used to be open on Friday and Saturday nights, but then rails started catching on fire and there were some deadly accidents. 

Yeah, took a few too many fires to realize that maintenance is needed. The issues also gave birth to this gem:

https://www.ismetroonfire.com

29 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

New tweet from Derick. He also deleted the first version and on the second version he added the word Christian. 

Oh good, I don't have to pray for America because I'm Jewish!

5 hours ago, kacarlton said:

I'm stupid. Could you spell out DFO for me so I can see the picture of Izzy with his dog bowl of junk food? Thanks!

Not sure if anyone replied, but that is short of Duggar Family official, which is their facebook page, I believe.

10 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Lol. I think it's that suction cup kind of bowl that adheres to the tray, so that the kid can't throw it. 

I need this! One of our cats puts her paws in the water bowl and runs around, sloshing water everywhere. We've had to put her dish in a big tub to contain the mess. 

How about nominations for the worst public transit system?  I nominate the SF Bay area.  Someone desperately coordinate a regional system.  BART is falling apart - the noise on one line from friction or something is appalling.  Escalators often broken.  There are homeless people living in the downtown stations.  CalTrain doesn't run frequently enough.  There aren't enough routes on the train lines and a lot the busses are unreliable.  And it's expensive for what it is.  For a family of 4 or 5, even with paying downtown parking fees, it's usually cheaper for us to drive.  The highways are overloaded.  It's a mess.

My short notes on  a few other systems:

London - some of the lines are so deep that I got nervous holding my kid on the escalators.  Also, London wins for people's ability to completely ignore a very pregnant woman who needed a seat.   Also - can get hot... not enough ventilation on a couple of the lines.  But otherwise easy to navigate.

Tokyo - amazing how many people can fit politely on a train car.  And some of the stations are enormous.  Like entire shopping malls inside the train station. But easy to get around if you don't speak or read Japanese.

Shanghai - lovely new system, pretty easy to navigate if you don't speak or read Mandarin.  Clean and reliable.

Paris - well laid out, but more escalators in the older stations would be great.

We were in London when I was 4 months pregnant.  Freezing cold outside, but hot on the tube and in my layers I felt very faint all of a sudden.  You couldn't tell I was pregnant, but when I said the the closest woman, "I'm sorry, but I need to sit down quickly", she jumped up straight away, no questions asked.  Very kind of her.  We got out at our stop, but it was a veeerrrryyy long, crowded escalator and I had to be sick.  I was so mortified, I actually tried to catch it with my hands.  When we got to the top my husband found station staff and they took me to a bathroom where I cleaned myself up.   Even 20 years later I remember their kindness.

1 hour ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Hmm, so Christians are the only ones allowed to pray for the country?

I remember once on the DC metro a pregnant woman got on the train. No one moved a muscle so I gave her my seat. But I wanted to shout, "can someone without a disability give this woman their seat??"

I've also seen no one give up their seat for frail old ladies. I would have if I had one. People can be such dicks.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived