IGNORED

Dillards 31: Grifting, Lying, and Allergies

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm thinking they may have him strapped in either because:

1. He's smart enough to somehow get out of the chair and the straps slow him down or prevent that.

This is why we strap in my almost two year old. It's not necessarily that he's smart so much as because he is wild. If you don't he will stand up and start dancing. He will also try to jump on the tray. 

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

How about nominations for the worst public transit system?  I nominate the SF Bay area.  Someone desperately coordinate a regional system. 

I'll nominate metro Detroit which doesn't have a coordinated regional transit system because voters rejected the millage for it last November (they can't put the millage back on the ballot for two years). There are two bus systems (SMART and DDOT) which theoretically work together but really don't. The People Mover is nice but only downtown. I haven't been back since the QLine opened in April or May.

As an example of how bad it is- even with taking the available buses, this gentleman walked 21 miles roundtrip on his commute. (After the article funds were raised to buy him a car). http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2015/01/31/detroit-commuting-troy-rochester-hills-smart-ddot-ubs-banker-woodward-buses-transit/22660785/

Our recent  visit to DC, a young woman offered me her seat. (I'm almost 70). The young men his behind their newspapers and pretended they didn't see us. I was actually quite capable of standing but I took the seat anyway.

I had to stand on a train in Sydney when 8 months pregnant - thankfully only for a few stops, not my whole 45 minute commute.  My daughter was on crutches last year and had to stand for 40 minutes on the way home from uni - right near the seats which are clearly marked for disabled/pregnant/elderly people.  You don't always know if someone has a disability or injury which entitles them to sit there though.

Cars...I have a 2004 Mustang GT. It's race red and I LOVE it. My hubs bought it for me for a birthday present 6 years ago now. Hubs has a 1999 Expedition XLT that we literally can't kill. It has 190,000 miles on it. We'll be driving our cars until the wheels fall off. We ARE considering buying a third vehicle, like maybe a Toyota Camry or Honda accord for daily running around since neither one of our vehicles gets "good" gas mileage. My Mustang will pass anything BUT a gas station...she's a thirsty bitch. Right now she's parked b/c she needs brakes and well...I'm a little light on cash right now. And, yes, she's the one that got sideswiped by the bitch who didn't see me. Yes I hate that bitch's fucking guts and I swear if I ever see her car again I will knife all 4 tires. 

Worst 

Metrobus in St. John's (Newfoundland) 

Always late, terribly laid out routes, lack of coverage during off peak hours...the list goes on. 

The only other ones I'm familiar with are Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver and honestly all of them seem magical after Metrobus. I do have a soft spot for trains that aren't underground though so the sky train and c train are both amazing to me. 

Cars. I don't drive but I agree with the earlier poster that said it should be big enough to fit a large dog. Currently Mr. May and I have a CRV which fits the dog quite comfortably. 

Mr. May wanted something that would fit a drum kit and snowboard equipment so he's content. 

2 hours ago, Karma said:

I had to stand on a train in Sydney when 8 months pregnant - thankfully only for a few stops, not my whole 45 minute commute.  My daughter was on crutches last year and had to stand for 40 minutes on the way home from uni - right near the seats which are clearly marked for disabled/pregnant/elderly people.  You don't always know if someone has a disability or injury which entitles them to sit there though.

I find that so surprising since Australians are usually so polite. 

In Stockholm I was pretty much always offered a seat. And I took the subway to work up until a week before birth. Since I was in so much pain I had mastered the give-me-your-seat-stare though. :pb_lol:

Based on the Picture Jill posted, yes, that kid has dropped and will be born in July 6 or 7. And it doesn't look like this one is breech like Izzy was

When I had to navigate the NYC subway on crutches a few years ago (in the winter, no less) people could not get up for me fast enough. I would crutch into a subway car and five people would stand up immediately. It was very encouraging and I was pleasantly surprised. 

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

For people asking about straps on high chairs - I'm pretty sure that's a standard feature now due to safety. My kid is six months old and I always strap her in. No way am I going to risk her slamming her head into the tray or the floor because she moved suddenly.

I would guess a kid Izzy's age is big enough to not really have that concern. I'm thinking they may have him strapped in either because:

1. He's smart enough to somehow get out of the chair and the straps slow him down or prevent that.

or

2. They have enough sense to realize that a lot of people would crucify them for sharing a photo without Izzy being strapped in.

I've known some kids (my older boy was a tall toddler the way Izzy is) who can easily shin up and down a highchair once they swing the leg over, so I'm guessing you're right.

7 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

New tweet from Derick. He also deleted the first version and on the second version he added the word Christian. 

...and IS America particularly distressed this morning? ...or just 5 July hangovers?

6 hours ago, Baaaaaabe said:

I need this! One of our cats puts her paws in the water bowl and runs around, sloshing water everywhere. We've had to put her dish in a big tub to contain the mess. 

CatIt drinking fountain has sticky feet and enough interest for the cat who likes to play with her water ;)

11 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I'm just here to say that " Unproven Birth Canal"  sounds like good metal or punk band name.

:my_biggrin:

Somehow the mention of "birth canal" has the old Vicar of Dibley christmas carol popping up in my head (46.20 - I could only find the full episode)

Worst public transit:  St. Louis, Missouri. Two light rail lines that only serve to connect the Air Base in Illinois to the St. Louis airport. To get to the light rail lines, you have to drive to a commuter lot OR find a bus that has a stop near a light rail stop OR take Uber or a cab.

I've seen young men and women give seats to elderly/disabled frequently, in London and New York. I've also seen some young people who "ignore" elderly/disabled folks, too, though. I'll stand up and give my seat to someone older or who needs to sit, and I'm 50. lol

THE worst public transportation EVER is the one in Rome: there are no time tables, and supposed arrival times are only vague indications, you wait sometimes for hours for overy crowded busses and trams (without air conditioning during the summer with 40° + Celsius it is pure HELL), there are only 2 (and a half) underground lines because of all the archeological areas, and there's so much traffic that you can be stuck for hours until you collaps. Not to mention the excessive stealing going on.

Okay y'all, I have sadly not been around FJ much over the past year due to some craziness in the real world, but nothing entices me back like a Baby Dilly watch thread, especially on a very slow day in the office. Hopefully this ordeal won't be as long as the last one........ also, idk if she's said anything about it yet, but I really still see Jill trying for a homebirth VBAC and it kind of scares me.

If I have to vote on worst public transit system, I have to say Detroit. My office looks out on the fancy new Qline and I can see one of the trains right now. There are 20 stops along 3ish miles and it cost $180 million. Aside from some city busses and the running joke known as the "people mover," this is literally all we have.

1st car was a 76? I think, Hornet...the N-E-T broke off the nameplate on the back of the car so I drove the HOR car for years until it died. Then I got a cute lil old sunbird...parked it outside of work one day  (on the street, not a lot) and a lady quite out of her head on drugs totaled it, poor car ended up on the lawn almost into the building. This car is a Grand Prix, I think...every time I drive I'm worried that the whole under carriage thing is just going to literally drop onto the road. The key gets stuck in the ignition, the wipers work when they want to, you have to punch the horn as hard as you can in just the right spot to get it to honk. The doors are scratched to hell because of kids riding bikes into it and the windshield has been cracked for 6 years. It gets me and the  7 year old to school each day and I don't have any way to get anything else so it will have to do until some miracle happens LOL

I haven't been on Philly public transportation since high school, but my granddaughter takes a bus, the el and a trolley to get to school every day at and says it's okay. Right now we are in the middle of nowhere ( it feels that way to me) and there is no public transportation...also it is quite quiet. I woke up yesterday pissed that my husband was playing some annoying game on his phone while I was trying to sleep...turns out it was birds tweeting...and the neighbor across the road has a bull roaming their yard...I am not made for this! 

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Based on the Picture Jill posted, yes, that kid has dropped and will be born in July 6 or 7. And it doesn't look like this one is breech like Izzy was

What picture?

9 minutes ago, meee said:

What picture?

IMG_9407.thumb.PNG.b230ccebf15c87b6cb822f807947cdde.PNG

Just a helpful hint for everyone: if you're referencing a photo then you should try to include it in your post. It's really easy to copy a link off Instagram - just click the three dots above the photo (across from the username) and click "copy link." Then just paste the link into a new post here.

Or, for posts with multiple photos (like the one above Jill posted) you can take screenshots of the photos and upload them here.

If you can't figure it out, then just say where you saw the photo - for instance, "Jill posted on Instagram" - and someone else will probably upload it for you at some point. :) 

18 minutes ago, seraaa said:

@CoveredInBees Ahh, I miss the Vicar of Dibley. Bless

Remember the conversation about Alice's dead budgies? One of the funniest things ever.

1 hour ago, SunnySideUp said:

Okay y'all, I have sadly not been around FJ much over the past year due to some craziness in the real world, but nothing entices me back like a Baby Dilly watch thread, especially on a very slow day in the office. Hopefully this ordeal won't be as long as the last one........ also, idk if she's said anything about it yet, but I really still see Jill trying for a homebirth VBAC and it kind of scares me.

If I have to vote on worst public transit system, I have to say Detroit. My office looks out on the fancy new Qline and I can see one of the trains right now. There are 20 stops along 3ish miles and it cost $180 million. Aside from some city busses and the running joke known as the "people mover," this is literally all we have.

Sounds like the Edinburgh Tram system! Billions of £s to build 1/2 the projected system. Under budgeted, badly planned, brought large parts of the city to a standstill over 3-4 summers, dangerous for cyclists, ( a cyclist killed a few weeks ago), business going bust because of lack of customer access.......I could go on.   :562479528aee8_32(4):

July 7th middle of the night.  Pool house VBAC home birth.  9lbs 15oz.  Michelle, Cathy, Jana, random midwife, Joy, Jennie, and Derick in attendance.  Michelle will do a lot of uber-calm, soft talking.  Cathy will be a little bit of a wreck and say something she thinks is patriotic/Christian but is offensive.  Random midwife will only have her arms shown on camera.  We may hear her voice.   Joy will be bossing everyone and making phone calls to JimBob and Joe at the TTH.  The labor will be 2 days long and Jessa will attempt sympathy in her TH  but make a dig about how her 2nd birth was so short.  The women will be concerned about snacks for Derick.  He will do a lot of coughing.  He will be holding a bible in every scene.  Baby will be big and healthy.  

Derick writes that Izzy is enjoying his time back in America in the Instagram pic.  I can't help but imagine Derick finishing the sentence in his best villain voice "... but that time will soon come to an end! Bwah ha ha ha ha!"

ETA: their messing with timelines in the show and social media is screwing me up and I can't remember... is the hair cut and shave on Derick new? 

Just a thought: has Joy attended many births? She definitely wasn't at Spurgeon's and I don't remember seeing her at Henry's or any of Anna's that have been televised. I assume that they would want her to be at Jill's (if she's home in time) seeing as she's next in line. Hell, if I were planning to have a baby and a sister invited me to her birth, I would probably go.

Unlike her older sisters who dabbled in birthing stuff while they waited for their Prince Charming, Joy didn't have much time for that and is kind of an outlier in that sense.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived