IGNORED

Joe and Kendra: Holding Hands and Saying I Love You

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Sometimes bosses are literally watching to catch you.

Our neighborhood Applebee's (crapplebees?) cards everyone - even my 80-year-old dad.

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Our neighborhood Applebee's (crapplebees?) cards everyone - even my 80-year-old dad.

So does ours. I remember buying a drink and letting my younger sister have the straw for her pop because hers fell on the floor. Wouldn't ya know it, ten seconds later our waitress comes flying over and yelling at me for letting my sister lick the alcohol off the straw. 

19 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I know but corporations and especially small stores have to cover thier buts or risk losing thier liquor liscenses of get shutting done. I'm sorry I came off so aggressive though. I have an issue with my tone. 

I don't know if it is different in other states, but Minnesota really hammers you for even one infraction. 

Yes. Once again, was merely referring to being taken seriously in middle age. They can card a person with real grey hair and sad level of collagen without acting like it's cute. That's all. Really.

Everyone thought I was ten years older when I was in my teens (offered alcohol to a 14 year old thinking I was the bride to be at a restaurant sort of thing). Never got carded in high school or college (graduated at 21) which all my friends thought was awesome. Mid twenties I gained weight 30 lbs or so and suddenly started getting carded for the first time ever and had people think I was in high school. I'm now 38 and get carded everywhere (most places have the whole card if you look under 30 thing I guess). I hate that I gained a size or two with the weight but love that it has taken years off of my face! I feel for the 25 year olds that look 12. My best friend was one of those and had an airline try to stop her from flying alone for business when she was post PhD at 24 years old. She was humiliated!

I was asked last week at the gym if I was old enough to be in the weight room without an adult. I'm 26, and I think their cutoff age for being alone is either 14 or 16. I don't mind so much in that context, but I'll agree that it's difficult to get taken seriously professionally when you look younger than you are, especially if you're a shorter woman. Granted, I just graduated from law school so looking young and inexperienced isn't too bad for now. I'm not looking forward to the possibility of people thinking I just started practicing when I'm 40, assuming I age like my mom. 

I used to get that years ago at month's end if the cops hadn't had enough stop-checks in the month (she was a distinctive bike due to a paint shop mistake). It would go like: Hello Mrs MIO'sEx, is this your vehicle? Mind if we take a look? ...done any good rides this month? ...cheers. See you around.

ETA: weird. That didn't link properly. Was following the same place all the time, still carded thing.

Two years ago (when I was 25) I was at a pet store with my parents to pick up cat food, and we were admiring the kitties up for adoption. My mom suggested that I volunteer there, and we were told that you had to be at least 12 and I needed my mom with me.

And then this year a waiter didn't card me. What happened to my youthful looks? :pb_lol:

I still get people asking what grade I'm in, so at least I have that? I haven't really encountered people at work assuming I'm incompetent because of my age yet. I really hope that doesn't happen.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, LacyMay said:

First post, but this seemed like a fairly safe and easy topic to wade into. 

Mr. May and I had a bit of a Jinjer situation on the go where he was already living across the country (he moved 6 months before the wedding)  and I moved the week after our wedding.  We did a small registry but also registered for gift cards. That way we could purchase the things once I got out West and not have to worry as much about shipping wedding gifts. We received some lovely gifts off the registry (especially from church people) but the gift cards definitely made our life easier. 

The honeymoon thing is so weird in my mind, we had people gift us money which was much appreciated but I couldn't imagine asking for it for something specific. But it was actually a big thing at a couple wedding shows I went to, actual companies that allow you to set up a honeymoon registry. Maybe it's just getting bigger. 

Welcome!

I don't mind getting carded for booze, but was it really necessary to card me for melatonin? I get that I look 12, but melatonin? Really?

7 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

!

Being taken less seriously in your job because of a youthful appearance must just blow.

It doesn't happen much and I make sure they learn otherwise very quickly :)

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I still get people asking what grade I'm in, so at least I have that? I haven't really encountered people at work assuming I'm incompetent because of my age yet. I really hope that doesn't happen.

I don't think anyone has thought I'm incompetent, but more or less they don't believe me at face value right away when I'm telling them what is what? you know, gotta check with someone else in my dept, who of course turns around and says...whatever Karen said, she knows that best, lol.

I recently got carded for seeing a rated R movie with my friends. We were all mid 20's at the time :pb_lol:

We had two homes to combine when we got married, and didn't need a lot of stuff. Many people gave us money. I made sure to tell them in the thank you note what their money went for. we splurged on some new "good" dishes, which we still use and love, some good pots and pans, which we still use, and some other bigger ticket items that not one person could pay for. I was grateful for the money, because we could combine it and buy something we really wanted. Like others, I wouldn't have asked for it.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:24 PM, closetcagebaby said:

I think Kendra is very pretty and if I thought otherwise, I'd keep it to myself. No reason to snark on a woman's (unchangeable) looks. JRod's green eyeliner? Sure. Kendra's face shape? Dude, she's a young woman being raised in a cult, let's not add to that.

Let's not forget the disturbing fact that this bride is literally still a child.  Her face shape will probably slim down as she reaches adulthood (and it is so upsetting to me that she hasn't reached adulthood yet but is getting married as a child).  I had a very full face all through my childhood and it didn't slim down until around age 24/25.  

I just cannot get past the fact that this child is getting married.  It's so weird and not okay, IMO.  

I'm weeks away from the big 4-0, but still get taken for my mid to late twenties on a regular basis. I mostly enjoy it (and do thank cashiers who ID, since I know they take a lot of heart),  it it has had an unexpected negative effect on my dating life. I'm not particularly interested in dating someone too far from my own age right now, but many lose interest when they realize I am, in fact, old enough to remember the Berlin Wall and the Challenger explosion. It also doesn't help that many men start aging more poorly in their forties, and I'm not really comfortable dating someone who looks like they could be my father (even if we are just a few years apart). I have issues up the wazzoo, but an Electra complex is not among them. :pb_lol:

On 6/28/2017 at 1:44 PM, Audrey2 said:

Several years ago when I lived in Arizona there was a television commercial about carding people for alcohol. The tagline was, "And you just might make some 30 year old's day." 

They aired it here in PA, too. Maybe an Ad Council thing?

I don't usually get carded, since I was about 25 or so. It might help that I go in sometimes in business clothes or with a baby in tow. Disappointing when I think that both my parents and my brothers all look younger than they are, and me apparently not so much!

At least you're not being asked if your someone's mom when attending your summer tennis camp (it's the boobs...at least I hope). Just the other day someone thought I was celebrating my 30th birthday when I turned 20. 

I'd take looking younger any day. 

26 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

At least you're not being asked if your someone's mom when attending your summer tennis camp (it's the boobs...at least I hope). Just the other day someone thought I was celebrating my 30th birthday when I turned 20. 

I'd take looking younger any day. 

Oh ouch - I sympathise! Stopped in an old favourite nightclub last time I visited home. Was met with a "MIO - haven't seen you for ages! Are you picking up your boy?" ...not only was it a Jana class 'NO!', my elder boy is only 15!

I'm old enough, that not only do I not get carded, I automatically get the senior discount. *sigh*

On 29/06/2017 at 3:06 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

Two years ago (when I was 25) I was at a pet store with my parents to pick up cat food, and we were admiring the kitties up for adoption. My mom suggested that I volunteer there, and we were told that you had to be at least 12 and I needed my mom with me.

And then this year a waiter didn't card me. What happened to my youthful looks? :pb_lol:

That's the worst. When the transition is quick. I was okay with getting the odd grey, thinking perhaps a graceful slide, like Judy Dench, or Helen Mirren... Then gravity struck - hard and fast. :(

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm old enough, that not only do I not get carded, I automatically get the senior discount. *sigh*

You should try vocalising that. I was with my Mum and that happened at a store and she said: "Hang on, I think you've undercharged me", to which, the teller said: " It's our 60+ discount madam, haven't you had it before?" 

Mum was a couple days ahead of that birthday and she said so, so the woman said: "Well, we'll call it straight and I'm honoured to have done your first one. Please take this token to customer services on the way out". We figured it was something we'd give them so they could put the bill straight and charge us the extra 20%, so we dutifully went to customer services and filled out the form they gave us and then realised the manager had shown up. "Congratulations" she said and presented Mum with flowers, chocolates, and a bottle of Prosecco and explained seniors' Tuesdays and Thursdays. Apparently they do that for all new members. It's a clever campaign as that was our first visit and mum's been back a lot ever since.

Any other Brits near a Chaplin's - is it like that with other branches?

I get carded often. Last week I was in event where two 17-year olds asked me what high school I attend. I just graduated university. 
When I was on my first year at uni, librarian in local public library asked if I was in middle school or already in high school. 

8 minutes ago, Irene said:

How old is Kendra?

18, she will be 19 in August.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived