IGNORED

Detroit doctor accused of performing female genital mutilation surgery

47of74

I hope this Doctor and the parents have very large and heavy books thrown and them by the courts;

freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2017/04/13/detroit-doctor-mutilated-genitals/100416124/

According to criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Detroit, the victims' parents brought them to the clinic from Minnesota -- pretending it was a "special" girls trip --   and later told the girls to keep what was happening a secret.

The accused is Jumana Nagarwala, 44, of Northville, an emergency room doctor at Henry Ford Hospital  who -- according to the federal government -- is a member of a religious and cultural community that practices FGM on young girls and women to curb their sexuality and make sex painful.  In the U.S., FGM qualifies as a criminal sexual act as the intent of the procedure is considered to abuse, humiliate, harass or degrade.

Nagarwala did not perform FGM at the hospital, the government alleges, but rather at a clinic in Livonia.

The U.S. Attorneys office says this is the first such criminal case in the country, with prosecutors relying on a law that criminalizes the practice of female genitalia mutilation, which is punishable by up to five years in prison. The doctor, however, could get 10-years  to life in prison for another crime she was charged with: Transportation of an individual with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity.

I want every adult involved in this horrendous practice to spend the longest amount of time possible in a federal prison.  I'm also fantasizing about things like sending them to live on a remote island after their prison sentence, with no ability to procreate, and no children allowed on the island.  

A few years in jail and the doctor losing her license to practice doesn't seem enough of a punishment.

10 hours ago, Flossie said:

I want every adult involved in this horrendous practice to spend the longest amount of time possible in a federal prison.  I'm also fantasizing about things like sending them to live on a remote island after their prison sentence, with no ability to procreate, and no children allowed on the island.  

A few years in jail and the doctor losing her license to practice doesn't seem enough of a punishment.

That's why I'm hoping she does get the life imprisonment that is a possibility. 

I don't know that I'd want them on a remote island though, I'm staking those out for myself for when the Orange Tapeworm causes the collapse of civilization.

I am having some very bad thoughts about what should happen to the adults involved. Very, very bad thoughts.[emoji49][emoji84]

I truly hate that this still happens today.

But I admit that I roll my eyes at how this is a HUGE headline national story yet the US has one of the highest rates of circumcision in the world. 

Archived