IGNORED

Pecans in the Big Blue House - Priss & TFDW Part 5

choralcrusader8613

11 minutes ago, Howl said:

Did Josh ever want to be anything, or was he in the right place, at the right time, from the right family on the right TV show?  Josh doesn't exhibit high energy about anything. 

I think if I remember the early bios correct, Josh wanted to be a lawyer? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I think if I remember the early bios correct, Josh wanted to be a lawyer? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

His life would have totally different if he had been allowed. No early marriage, college life with girlfriends. Choosing a girl, not just taking the first one that came along.

Away from the TTH and the sisters he abused. Not being a father to 5 children before the age of 30.

4 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

If it weren't for his uber right wing philosophy, he could be good at it. He seems like a hard worker and he does have the looks. I just shudder to think of what it would mean for his constituents (and, frankly, the rest of the US) who were not straight white male Christians. Hopefully he doesn't have political ambitions. It's better he stay in ATI-world.

And what would it mean for the pecan groves of America?

I agree he could be good at it.  Fortunately, I think he's been so attached to IBLP/ATI that even some of the right-wingers would take pause.

17 hours ago, Dandruff said:

And what would it mean for the pecan groves of America?

Make the pecan the National Nut, perhaps? Plus there'd also be a sudden upswing in the demand for growing pecans & keeping them available in the White House at all times (ie, Ronald Reagan and his jelly beans).   ;) 

Praise Rufus! :P TFDW posing on a culvert is hilarious! 

Jeeze Louise, for a minute there I thought Pris was wearing culottes!  But no, just some funky sanded denim.  I must say through, in some circles, that skirt might be considered defraudingly short!  And showing so much arm! 

But I gotta tell ya, they live in North Texas, where the summer means hot and humid.  I hope their house remodeling includes a powerful central AC system. 

On 6/4/2017 at 9:19 AM, HereticHick said:

David could be everything Josh Duggar wanted to be

On 6/4/2017 at 0:26 PM, Carm_88 said:

Cue Josh eating his feelings even more if Davey goes into politics! 

I had the same thought reading about Davey running for office, "I wonder how Joshy will react if TFDW ends up successful in the political sphere...." 

On 6/4/2017 at 1:06 PM, Carm_88 said:

He definitely wanted to be a lawyer when he was younger. We discussed it a lot on here and ways he could get his law degree despite being a young dad and having a business.  Then he happily moved to DC and relished his FRC role.  The name Smuggar is not just from the way he acted on the reality show. He was a pompous preaching ass telling America how they are living sinfully.  If David got into politics it would up his misery eleventy fold. He'd be bitterly jealous. 

2 hours ago, JMO said:

He definitely wanted to be a lawyer when he was younger. We discussed it a lot on here and ways he could get his law degree despite being a young dad and having a business.

It would be nice if he could pursue some higher (than the SOTDRT) education.  I think he'd enjoy it, he might eventually be able to earn more money, and it would be a good thing for his kids to observe him doing.

25 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

It would be nice if he could pursue some higher (than the SOTDRT) education.  I think he'd enjoy it, he might eventually be able to earn more money, and it would be a good thing for his kids to observe him doing.

But do you really think he has the intelligence for this?

31 minutes ago, Hane said:

I think it's really hard to gauge the intelligence of any homeschooled, sheltered, ATI fundie.  It's really impossible to say what is their innate intelligence and what is their lack of proper education or exposure, and so it's impossible to say how well they would do in a more challenging situation.  Certainly there WOULD be an adjustment period, but after that they may be able to tackle the material without issue.  Or maybe they would sink.  But for right now, it's like trying to evaluate how good of an orange an apple could be.  

45 minutes ago, Hane said:

I think more important is the drive. Which he clearly doesn't have.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think more important is the drive. Which he clearly doesn't have.

Not to mention the work ethics...

@nastyhobbitses and @hollyandivy, so true.  ESPECIALLY in higher education, it is much less innate intelligence and much more drive, work ethic, and determination.  There's also time management, and Josh's especial weakness: resisting temptation.

It's always TEMPTING to slack off, to put things off, to skip class, to grab lunch with your friends instead of wolfing down a boring sandwich and hitting the books...but those are the things you have to resist in order to be successful.  Getting a college degree is like running a marathon: it's not always fun.  In fact, there are long stretches where it is THE WORST and takes over your life.  But in the end, it is worth it.

Finally, there's an aspect that the Duggar kids are ESPECIALLY lacking on, but other kids as well: how well do you hold up to suffering?  Because things are GOING to get rough.  Do you persevere?  Do you appreciate the challenge?  Do you grit your teeth and climb that mountain?  Or do you fold?  That's one of the reasons that you SHOULDN'T shield children the way the Duggars do: because suffering is a part of life and children need to learn (gradually, hopefully) how to respond to it and even how to feel comfortable (as opposed to Jill and the scary America meltdown she seems to be on) in uncomfortable situations.  

22 hours ago, Hane said:

I'm going to go against the current here, and say yes. Can't know for sure, of course, but back in the early days of the show he seemed to have some intelligence and drive. He was interested in video editing, he thought he might market his blend of spice rub, he tried to become a political consultant IIRC, and he wanted to be a lawyer. I think his limited education, parental restrictions, and years of helping to build the TTH (he said he didn't enjoy the work, unlike JD), among other things, sapped a lot of his drive. I doubt he ever really wanted to be a used car dealer, but it's what was made available to him to support a wife and no-birth-control-allowed number of children.

I'm not making excuses for his bad behavior - no doubt some of what brought him to his current situation is only his own fault. I also don't think he's terribly bright, but my impression has been that he's one of the brighter Duggars. Bright enough to be able to do some educational catch-up then go for at least an Associate's degree online or at a local community college.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, JMO said:

He definitely wanted to be a lawyer when he was younger. We discussed it a lot on here and ways he could get his law degree despite being a young dad and having a business.  Then he happily moved to DC and relished his FRC role.  The name Smuggar is not just from the way he acted on the reality show. He was a pompous preaching ass telling America how they are living sinfully.  If David got into politics it would up his misery eleventy fold. He'd be bitterly jealous

Not sure if this has been brought up already, but don't forget that JB ran for office, too. And if memory serves from watching the early specials, wasn't Josh called the "little governor" at one point (especially when he was little)?

An interesting criticism of learning from a Gothard curriculum is that the student loses the ability to think, not even critically, but to just THINK -- about anything.  

David just put up video footage of all the Kellers' surprising Mrs Keller including Josh. Daniel seems to be hurt. He was walking with a cane and his wife was not there. I do not know if they divorced or not. Rebecca seems to have married a man who is old enough to be her grandfather. I thought he was a relative but they were paired together and in the pic he had his arm placed on her stomach. She is also sporting  very new shiny ring on her finger. The whole thing was pretty awkward. 

On 6/5/2017 at 11:57 AM, JillsFlowerHeadband said:

I had the same thought reading about Davey running for office, "I wonder how Joshy will react if TFDW ends up successful in the political sphere...."

This makes me want to eat my arm.  He's never going to run for office, God only hopes.  TFDW (poor Cil) will move on to something more fabulous like Phil Douglas has and perhaps change his name to Walter Davis.

The video was sweet. I wonder how old her the guy is. He deffently looks old enough to be her grandfather. 

On 6/4/2017 at 9:26 AM, Carm_88 said:

Cue Josh eating his feelings even more if Davey goes into politics! 

Cue lawsuit. 

Based on some totally appropriate public record detective work, from birthdates it looks like the new husband is about 33 years older than Rebekah. He is very well-to-do. They look happy. She divorced Josh in Fall 2015 and I think she remarried in 2016.

I think Rebekah is 33 or 34. Pris is 2 years older than Anna, and I think Rebekah is 2 years older than Pris. Ma Keller's spacing was very similar to what we're seeing with Anna and Pris now. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived