IGNORED

Pecans in the Big Blue House - Priss & TFDW Part 5

choralcrusader8613

Wow! They did a great job, that house was in rough shape to begin with, 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The house looks great. I wonder if they grifted some things or if they were just genuinely gifts. "The tub/shower was given to us brand new from a man in Florida who had been led to the Lord by my Father-in-law. The stories could go on and on about the natural slate tile, the sink, etc." 

Also, that's not a fireplace. It's a woodstove. I'm not sure how staring at a cast-iron box gives "lovely ambiance." I know from experience those things can get red hot. I hope they keep the littles away from it, and pad the corners/edges of that raised platform. 
Sorry if that sounds a bit BEC. I've still got scars on my hand from falling against a woodstove as a small child. My dad had one in his workshop, and it would get so hot that a piece of paper that touched it would catch fire (I may or may not have been fascinated with fire.) The flames would also go up the stove-pipe occasionally.

I hate to praise Pecan so highly but.... it would be nice if some of the other young fundie families did this. I know some of them do. Like Austin for instance. It's a good idea to do when you are young and only have a small amount of children. When the Duggars were building their TTH, they had over a dozen children and not a lot of extra money because of it. That thing would never have gotten done without the TV network. It just makes more sense to buy a crap house and then fix it up when you have only a couple of kids. When these two grow out of this house, they can sell it for much more than they bought it and buy a bigger house. 

4 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Didn't realize that the round entryway was so short that only someone under 5'6" would pass through.   Thought it was an interesting feature but with the short height it made sense to remove it. 

It was interesting, but even apart from the height, I have no idea why anyone would want a bathroom that is open to the bedroom. My dad's house was like that and I thought it was so weird. Just because someone is your spouse/SO doesn't mean you want them to see everything you do in the bathroom! Apparently some people are fine with it but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would completely rule out a house that had that (if I wasn't willing/able to renovate).

Anyway, I agree with everyone, they did a great job. I have a lot of problems with David but at least he's a hard worker, unlike a lot of these fools.

Am I safe to assume they forgot to show the kids room? If they do have a third bedroom, then it's the perfect fundie house, no need to ever upgrade down the road when more blessings pop out.

The parents get the huge room of course, a haven for the sacred marriage bed and Dad's office away from the noise. The girls room and boys room can be small. In fact, it's better if the kids are stacked in triple bunk beds to encourage complete lack of privacy. 

A single bathroom shared by all the children ensures that there's always a line at the door. This is a good thing because we all know a door with a lock is a dangerous thing for idle hands and lustful minds.

Snark aside, they did a pretty amazing job and seem to appreciate the free labor and donations. They even cracked a joke about their friends not wanting to being friends anymore and family not having a choice ;) That's pretty funny for a fundie joke. 

They got rid of the Hobbit door and the Hell mouth! The place looks good. Except I don't like the staggered kitchen cabinets, I prefer them all one level. Otherwise the kitchen came out great. 

I like the house, but the wood-stove would have to go.

15 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I like the house, but the wood-stove would have to go.

I personally love wood stoves. You wouldn't have to pay much for heat if you had a wood stove. 

@FloraKitty35 and @eowyn1217,  I wouldn't mind a wood stove if it had glass doors so that you could see the fire and I knew that my grandkids would never touch it when it's hot.  I think we're going to covert our wood-burning fireplace to a gas fireplace.  

I'm wondering if they didn't show the kid's rooms because those were the projects they haven't finished yet? Or maybe the kid's rooms were just cosmetic fixes- paint and flooring- and not as involved as the rooms they did show? 

Lots of woods in that part of Texas -- should be no problem stocking up for the winter.  

Wood stoves have changed a lot since the old days.  Some have catalytic  combusters and don't pollute so much, are double sided so the outside doesn't get too hot.  Still would NOT want one in a house with small children, with an endless supply of small children to come. 

That said, I lived through many Colorado winters with wood as a sole source of heat for the house, with electric heaters in the bathrooms.  Making sure the kindling is always stocked and cutting wood is a PITA. 

12 minutes ago, Howl said:

Lots of woods in that part of Texas -- should be no problem stocking up for the winter.  

Wood stoves have changed a lot since the old days.  Some have catalytic  combusters and don't pollute so much, are double sided so the outside doesn't get too hot.  Still would NOT want one in a house with small children, with an endless supply of small children to come. 

That said, I lived through many Colorado winters with wood as a sole source of heat for the house, with electric heaters in the bathrooms.  Making sure the kindling is always stocked and cutting wood is a PITA. 

Yep. Lots of logging here. I know a lot of people put a hearth type fence around their stoves if they have little kids.

11 hours ago, gustava said:

I'm not sure why I have a strong, negative reaction to this comment, since I also have a feeling that TFDW is not honest with himself about his own sexuality.  Perhaps it is because what you are describing is cross-dressing and while I do not know anyone who engages in the practice, cross-dressing is not an indicator of homosexuality.

I never claimed there was a connection between cross dressing and homosexuality. 

How strange to live the kind of life where you need a permanent nursery space (in your room, even). If she is successful, she'll always have a baby for the next 15 years? 20?

What an amazing transformation! When I first read the comment about the staggered kitchen cabinets (before checking out the pics) I thought it might have been a really sensible universal design thing. You know, having work surfaces of various heights to accommodate people who are taller than average and those who are small/seated (get those kids started helping in the kitchen early and let Priscilla sit down sometimes?) but no. Just the upper cabinets. I've never seen that before. Is it a thing?

7 hours ago, Jellybean said:

What an amazing transformation! When I first read the comment about the staggered kitchen cabinets (before checking out the pics) I thought it might have been a really sensible universal design thing. You know, having work surfaces of various heights to accommodate people who are taller than average and those who are small/seated (get those kids started helping in the kitchen early and let Priscilla sit down sometimes?) but no. Just the upper cabinets. I've never seen that before. Is it a thing?

Apparently it is a thing: https://www.houzz.com/staggered-height-cabinetry

It is not my favourite look but I think it works for their kitchen!

18 hours ago, BackseatMom said:

How strange to live the kind of life where you need a permanent nursery space (in your room, even). If she is successful, she'll always have a baby for the next 15 years? 20?

Just thinking about that makes my uterus hurt.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:43 PM, Dandruff said:

It's the homeschooling I'm worried about.

Me, too--considering the large "whole" in the floor that they fixed.

It does look good but makes me wonder - where did they live while all the work was being done? Take a page from Esther and JOhn and stay in a camper?

The tiered cabinet look is definitely 'in' but it makes me twitch.

It does look good but makes me wonder - where did they live while all the work was being done? Take a page from Esther and JOhn and stay in a camper?
The tiered cabinet look is definitely 'in' but it makes me twitch.

If I am remembering correctly didn't they say in a blog they were renting an apartment at one point? So, if nothing else they were realistic and tried to live somewhat comfortably. As far as the cabinets I'm more concerned with them being white. I remember having white cabinets in the last apartment I was in and hated it.

4 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I'd guess with his brother, or in one of the family camp accommodations at Big Sandy.

I just took a gander at the house pictures. Color me impressed! I will agree, though, that the tiered cabinet thing makes my OCD senses go haywire. Have it one height or another; be it an "in" thing or not, enough with the tiered business already.  :P 

i'll be the oddball and say i like the tiered look, but in the end i prefer cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling.  my current kitchen has relatively low ceilings and full-height cabinets, so i can reach the top shelves without a ladder; my in-laws ' last house had open space over their cabinets, and when Mr. CL and i helped them get ready to put it up for sale, we found so much dust and forgotten junk up there that it took nearly half a day to clean it all.

I have no opinion on the cabinets, but am impressed by the overall job.  David does seem to have some planning skills and a solid work ethic.  Some of our favorite fundie family men could probably learn something from him.

Sorry if I sound like a Waller groupie.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived