IGNORED

Joy and Austin: He's got the Joy Joy in his heart!

Destiny

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Ben earned an Associate's degree and, I believe, is still pursuing a degree program through Moody Bible Institute. So he does have an education. And he seems to be doing his best to continue on with his education, which I will give him credit for. 

As for a job, he has the show at the moment. Not something he should rely on long term by any means, but it brings in money while he works on his degree. Hopefully he continues pursuing his education and is eventually able to use that for much more reliable employment.

Thank you for the correction, I didn't realize this. I think I was a bit too tough on Ben now that I look back at what I wrote; what I intended is that he has his hands full at such a young age, at least relative to most people I know around our age. I'm also concerned about his (and the other children and in-laws) assumed dependence on Jim Bob, so I'm hoping his efforts will score him and Jessa some independence.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2017 at 10:31 PM, mstee said:

What about Sierra? I could see her being a bridesmaid since her and Joy are supposedly so close. 

I've thought about that too, but I am worried that she will be too busy cranking out 1,000 stale cupcakes in a jar for favors at the reception. Each jar will be have a burlap tie around it, for the Pinteresty Western look.

On 3/15/2017 at 1:19 PM, metheglyn said:

Did anyone else see the post about Joy and Austin's engagement dinner? Apparently they had grilled venison they "caught" (read hunted) together, along with potatoes and green beans. It does look like it was a nice evening for grilling on the mountain, if perhaps a bit cold. TLC posted a bunch of pictures plus the recipes for the three dishes.

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/get-the-recipes-from-joy-and-austins-engagement-dinner/

Those recipes are cracking me up.

15 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

they listed tin foil as an "ingredient."

Just now, catlady said:

That's the moment I gave myself a belly ache from laughing lol.

Place green beans in the skillet and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

ummmm...really? you need a recipe, written out for 'cook these until they're done'?

38 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

I'm very bothered by the fact that the cooking steps aren't numbered lists and are just bulleted ones like the ingredients lists. 

22 minutes ago, catlady said:

I could almost understand if it was something a little more uncommon (like parchment paper) but... yeah. At that rate, they should also list knives and pans. 

They forgot 

Water

Ingredients:

Water

Cups (one per person)

Instructions:

Pour desired amount of water into cup.

Serve

Those "recipes" remind me of See Spot Run. They are so simplistic you want to bang your head against the wall. These people obviously don't realize you can make fantastic meals, with flavor, on a grill. Anyone else think the green beans were canned green beans? I say this as a person who loves canned green beans. I would have thrown some garlic in the green beans and mushrooms.   I hope they had toppings or something for the potatoes. I have never had venison so I have no idea about how it should be cooked or seasoned. I have now made myself hungry again.

20 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

They forgot 

Water

Ingredients:

Water

Cups (one per person)

Instructions:

Pour desired amount of water into cup.

Serve

If this is the last thing I read before I die I'll die happy. So funny!

10 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Those "recipes" remind me of See Spot Run. They are so simplistic you want to bang your head against the wall. These people obviously don't realize you can make fantastic meals, with flavor, on a grill. Anyone else think the green beans were canned green beans? I say this as a person who loves canned green beans. I would have thrown some garlic in the green beans and mushrooms.   I hope they had toppings or something for the potatoes. I have never had venison so I have no idea about how it should be cooked or seasoned. I have now made myself hungry again.

GARLIC???? Do you know how defrauding flavour and seasoning are? What if Joy moaned in delight from the deliciousness in front of Austin?? That moan could lead to Austin committing sexual sin in his head!

1 hour ago, MayMay1123 said:

Place green beans in the skillet and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

ummmm...really? you need a recipe, written out for 'cook these until they're done'?

Are we cooking them al dente or until soft and mushy? Be specific, Duggars.

1 hour ago, MayMay1123 said:

You don't have teenagers do you? These recipes are perfect for just about every teen I know at the moment, including my own.  Common sense is apparently not something that kids just have. And yes, I've had to tell my kids to put water in the pot to boil it, and then I realized I had done society horribly wrong and started giving them both cooking lessons. 

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Are we cooking them al dente or until soft and mushy? Be specific, Duggars.

I'm pretty sure the Duggars have never used the phrase "al dente"

And I shudder to think how Jim Bob would pronounce it.

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

All Denty. 

22 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

You don't have teenagers do you? These recipes are perfect for just about every teen I know at the moment, including my own.  Common sense is apparently not something that kids just have. And yes, I've had to tell my kids to put water in the pot to boil it, and then I realized I had done society horribly wrong and started giving them both cooking lessons. 

not currently, my 3 are grown, but they damn sure knew how to cook in their teens because, like you, we gave them cooking lessons, from about the age of 5. common sense never goes along with the duggar fam LOL

25 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

EYEtalian cookin!

Someone actually tried to correct me the other day saying it was EYEtalian. I pointed out that Italy is a country, not EYEtaly. 

I'm still amused when Jinger went to the Vuolos house and said that she never makes pasta at home. It's really not that hard. I even make my own sauce. And it's super easy to make for a huge family. But it's not surprising. It's not a can of peas or cream of mushroom.  

I've never made pasta. We never really ate it when I was growing up, and I don't like it. So maybe they're just not big pasta eaters? 

I tend to think their supposed lack of skill in the kitchen is exaggerated by TLC. We've seen evidence that they can, in fact, cook a variety of different things via social media. TLC for some reason thinks it's hilarious to do the "girl gets married and she can barely cook!!!" plot line over and over again.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I've never made pasta. We never really ate it when I was growing up, and I don't like it. So maybe they're just not big pasta eaters? 

I tend to think their supposed lack of skill in the kitchen is exaggerated by TLC. We've seen evidence that they can, in fact, cook a variety of different things via social media. TLC for some reason thinks it's hilarious to do the "girl gets married and she can barely cook!!!" plot line over and over again.

Nope they list Italian food - meaning pasta as they went to an Italian restaurant and weren't familiar with most items on the menu. 

It always amazes me how some people don't season their food (of course I'm from the Caribbean so I season the hell out of my food. Always) 

My friend made a large pot of celery and parsnip soup the other day (Basically pureed celery, parsnip) with barely any seasoning. It tasted like starch. Meanwhile she goes wide-eyed when I break out the the thyme, garlic, onion, all purpose seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano when seasoning meat. 

Didn't Jinger want to be a chef when she was a tween/teen? That was in a special as a "future occupation" her not knowing how to cook noodles had to be for the show. (hopefully)

I can't understand that "salt and pepper to taste" thing...Every single thing I cook has Sazon and Adobo on it. Every. Single. Thing. With certain things, Old Bay is also added. 

http://www.goya.com/english/product_subcategory/Condiments/Adobo

http://www.goya.com/english/product_subcategory/condiments/sazon-bouillon

But this cubachona had to teach her gringo hubby to enjoy flavor. 

IIRC, many of them stated either Italian or Mexican as their favorite food.  I think pasta would more likely be on a Duggar menu vs Veal Piccata or other fancy dish.

How hard is spaghetti or mac-n-cheese?

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived