IGNORED

Joy and Austin: He's got the Joy Joy in his heart!

Destiny

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

EYEtalian cookin!

Someone actually tried to correct me the other day saying it was EYEtalian. I pointed out that Italy is a country, not EYEtaly. 

I would have given that person some serious side-eye.  When I hear someone pronounce Italian that way, I find myself thinking, "Oh.  An idiot.  Bless their stupid heart."  

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

It always amazes me how some people don't season their food (of course I'm from the Caribbean so I season the hell out of my food. Always) 

I'm Canadian but my background is Jamaican and everything I cook has eleventy billion spices in it so looking at those recipes all I can think is  it where is the flavour???? Salt is not a flavour Austin!

2 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

I'm Canadian but my background is Jamaican and everything I cook has eleventy billion spices in it so looking at those recipes all I can think is  it where is the flavour???? Salt is not a flavour Austin!

Southern/soul food traditionally doesn't have a lot of spices, at least compared to, say, Jamaican or Italian food. A lot of the flavor for Southern/soul recipes comes from the use of different types of fat. My father, who is a physicist originally from rural Virginia, complains about "strange spices" like cumin and cilantro. Unlike the Duggars, he will eat just about anything you put in front of him, because he doesn't believe in wasting food.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Snipped:

A lot of the flavor for Southern/soul recipes comes from the use of different types of fat.

One of the appetizers at hubby's new restaurant is duck fat popcorn. I like it ok just plain but a little parmesean cheese and truffle dust makes it sinfully good!

I like simple flavors. Don't get me wrong, I love a good mole or paella. But I'll often choose a caprese salad over these options. If you start with fresh, flavorful ingredients and good preparation, they can shine on their own. I see no problem with minimally seasoned green beans. But there is no reason to act like it's a recipe! It's barely a step above saying here's a recipe for a sandwich: choose your favorite sandwich from the store. Add mayo or mustard to taste."

I love me some paella, jerk chicken, and curry, but I also think it's totally fine to just want something without too much seasoning on it, because those things can still be delicious if made with fresh ingredients and with balanced flavors. One of my favorite things to make on a weeknight is spinach and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil with just some garlic and sea salt for flavor (but I don't act like I'm Mario Goddamn Batali for making it).

On 4/12/2017 at 9:57 PM, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I would have given that person some serious side-eye.  When I hear someone pronounce Italian that way, I find myself thinking, "Oh.  An idiot.  Bless their stupid heart."  

This gave me a good laugh.  I'm originally from the Northeast and when I moved to Iowa for grad school, I was dating an Italian.  I got a job at a restaurant and they had this EYEtalian pasta salad... I remember thinking something just like this, and wondering if the whole state was going to pronounce it that way... and how I was going to keep sweet for the next several years.

Not so, luckily, so I managed to dig deep and love it there anyway.

7 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

This gave me a good laugh.  I'm originally from the Northeast and when I moved to Iowa for grad school, I was dating an Italian.  I got a job at a restaurant and they had this EYEtalian pasta salad... I remember thinking something just like this, and wondering if the whole state was going to pronounce it that way... and how I was going to keep sweet for the next several years.

As an Iowan, I only use EYEtalian when mocking people. 

On 4/12/2017 at 9:57 PM, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I think you mean an EYEdiot.

On 4/14/2017 at 0:33 AM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Also a Hawkeye (like you, originally from a coast).  I've discovered the "Eyetalian" thing is about 30%.  The further out you get from Iowa City or Des Moines or Cedar Rapids, the greater the likelihood of encountering the mythical country of Eyetaly.  I still cringe any time I hear it pronounced that way.  It will just never be okay with me.  

I think Joy is super pretty, but I think her clothing options (and maybe hair style) are so limited to fit into a modest style that really just doesn't suit her. 

I can easily picture Joy with still long hair, but probably a little shorter to be healthy, denim shorts and a tank top. Nothing that most people would consider remotely showy. I think you'd see her face (read: eyes) actually lighten up to feel fully comfortable. And also going to college. And working at day camp in the summers off from school. And getting ice cream with her friends at night.

Sorry, I'll wake up now.

19 hours ago, freedomfromfrumpers said:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81RzhokMoIL.jpg

Noticed on tumblr this appears to be a new photoshoot?  (photo on their amazon registry)

Defintely never saw that before. Good ring shot though. Looks like Austin stuck to the Duggar ring theme of solitaires. Nice size tho. 

On 4/17/2017 at 6:43 PM, front hugs > duggs said:

I think Joy is super pretty, but I think her clothing options (and maybe hair style) are so limited to fit into a modest style that really just doesn't suit her. 

I can easily picture Joy with still long hair, but probably a little shorter to be healthy, denim shorts and a tank top. Nothing that most people would consider remotely showy. I think you'd see her face (read: eyes) actually lighten up to feel fully comfortable. And also going to college. And working at day camp in the summers off from school. And getting ice cream with her friends at night.

Sorry, I'll wake up now.

That pretty much nails my college experience. I worked at a day camp during the summer, and as an after school counselor at the same facility during the school year. I spent the summers running around in shorts, t-shirts, tevas, and modest/one piece bathing suits. I was probably in the best shape of my life, and I had the closest thing a tan that I'll ever see (10 hours/day outdoors will get you tanned, even with obsessive sunscreen use). The camp is on an old farm, so I also helped with the animals and gardens. I was also incredibly happy - I got paid to be outdoors, learned to ride a horse, had a lot of fun hanging out with first graders, got free eggs and vegetables every week, and made enough money to buy all the clothes, booze, and food I wanted. I see a lot of myself in Joy sometimes, and it makes me very sad to think about how much she is going to miss out on.

Joy can STILL have a lot of fun after she's married, providing they wait to have kids. Getting married isn't going to ruin her life, having 20 kids will. 

On 4/17/2017 at 5:43 PM, front hugs > duggs said:

Sorry, I'll wake up now.

How sad is it that this is like the most wholesome image, yet it's too mainstream or wrong or dirty for people like the Duggars!? I mean regular summer clothes, friends, education, a job... it's just normal life.

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Joy can STILL have a lot of fun after she's married, providing they wait to have kids. Getting married isn't going to ruin her life, having 20 kids will. 

Unfortunately the whole purpose of them getting married is having many children and filling the quiver of the husband.

18 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Unfortunately, with her marrying so young at 19, she'll probably be the Duggar daughter with most children. I already guessed that in another thread before the courtship with Austin happened, that Joy would probably be the one who is going to live the fundiest lifestyle with most children of all Duggar kids. I hope I'm wrong, but i just have the feeling that she is going to end up with 8-10 children; all of the other Duggar kids will probably have less, 5-6 at most.

Given her age I could easily see her having 12+ kids.

When it comes to the rest of the bunch it is hard so say. Jilly probably would love a big quiver, but not living in CA. I can see Jessa having some more, but not more than 5-6. And although it's hard to wrap your head around it, I think Anna will have a few more and won't stop having sex with her cheating, molesting husband. I see at least 4 more for her. That would make 9 M-Kids.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived