choralcrusader8613

8 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

On paper.

Represents in the sense that she's prime minster or the UK not just England 

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

More thread drift: with all the comments on Trump and what other countries think of him, I'm curious to know what the homeland thinks in Italy. @Italiangirl @laPapessaGiovanna - what's the general Italian consensus? 

I have to say that i'm a little bit out of politics in these days, but generally i says that the most parte of the people here don't think the best of him. There is some people ehi unffortunally Think he could do good stuff for europe but they are for the most part the one who vote for politics like him 

2 hours ago, Dugg@rTime said:

If only Theresa May was the spokesperson for just England, but she's not. At least Nicola Sturgeon has more balls in her dealings with the Cheeto, calling him out on how he's reneging on his golf course environmental responsibilities.  I wish Tresemme had more backbone to stand up to him.

i don't know if it's public knowledge in the US but there was a petition to stop trump coming on a state visit to the UK. It got enough signatures and is being debated in parliament next week. I doubt it will go through but baby steps and all that. At least our distaste for him is noted. 

I'm English and I don't want Theresa May representing me either. She wasn't even actually elected, just took over because Dave Cameron jumped ship over Brexit.

There was a photo of her holding hands with him because apparently he doesn't like handrails on stairs, but seriously?

Out of all the stuff about Trump though the biggest pile of BS is that he's a real Christian because he's anti-abortion. What a heap of shit when you see all the lawsuits and accusations of sexual assault and listen to how he speaks to people and treats them ALL THE TIME. If people can recognise Westboro Baptist Church don't act like Christians should how does he get away with it?

8 minutes ago, MyMilkshake said:

No name yet?  Wow.

I'm thinking they're sitting on it until tomorrow night. Is there any word of a "special announcement"?  Side note, I have come to loathe that phrase. Thanks, Duggars!

23 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Other than maybe Mary or other biblical names I can't think of any female "defenders of the faith" or whatever they called it ... that and they wouldn't want a "unique" name to distract from her countenance and not be able to marry her off

I did not have a single student in Christian school named Mary. There was a teacher named that who was there for a year. I kid you not, another teacher asked her at lunch one day if she'd ever considered changing her name "since it is so Catholic and idolatrous". 

So, yeah, probably no more Mary's in Duggar world. 

17 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm thinking they're sitting on it until tomorrow night. Is there any word of a "special announcement"?  Side note, I have come to loathe that phrase. Thanks, Duggars!

Tonight is the show, I assume it'll be announced then.

You guys realize there is a Politics section?  It's got threads discussing a lot of this stuff, and a Political Memes thread that has given me a few much-needed chuckles.

Anyway, thank goodness for thread drift, because I have a question and I figure a lot of people will see it if I post it here.

<drumroll>  I'm going to be a Grandma!  Not until the end of September, and I'm not supposed to tell anyone until after the first 12 weeks have passed, but I'm already sticking my nose in.  Is there a parenting thread somewhere on FJ?  I want to post questions there.  Right now DD is bemoaning the lack of cute baby boy clothes (in case it's a boy), and is looking for good reading material.  I know to tell her to avoid anyone who tries to turn her on to Babywise or To Train up a Child, but what are the good reading resources for today's expectant parent?  The stuff I used gave pretty good advice, but a lot of it is outdated.

2 minutes ago, Flossie said:

<drumroll>  I'm going to be a Grandma!  Not until the end of September, and I'm not supposed to tell anyone until after the first 12 weeks have passed, but I'm already sticking my nose in.  Is there a parenting thread somewhere on FJ?  I want to post questions there.  Right now DD is bemoaning the lack of cute baby boy clothes (in case it's a boy), and is looking for good reading material.  I know to tell her to avoid anyone who tries to turn her on to Babywise or To Train up a Child, but what are the good reading resources for today's expectant parent?  The stuff I used gave pretty good advice, but a lot of it is outdated.

There's a Parenting Thread in AYTFJ! Here's a link to the newest iteration:

ETA Ack! posted same time as @Mela99 :P

14 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Blargh, last week was a long one. My days are all messed up. 

Quick big stupid story...

This morning, I was putting my shoes on, getting ready to leave for work. Big stupid decided that if he jumped on me, I'd have to stay home. So, big stupid launched himself from a table onto my back while I was bent over tying my shoes...he worked his way up until his front end was hanging over my shoulder...he looked at me and gave out the most pitiful meow you have ever heard...I damn near stayed home after that...

23 minutes ago, karen77 said:

If the name is announced can you let us folk across the pond know ASAP?!!

Life is quiet right now, we all need a good laugh.

39 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Christian Hip-hop Seewald

Obviously, they'd never use such a silly name... they need a far more obscure religious name than Christian to prove they're not just casuals! ;) 

Regarding female defenders of the faith, I've seen several Fundies who consider Lady Jane Grey (and to a lesser extent, Anne Boleyn) defenders of the faith because of their role in freeing England from/resisting evil Catholic rule.  Though ironically I've never heard the same said about Elizabeth I. 

So we could see a Grey or a Boleyn or a Tudor Rose from the Seewalds eventually I suppose.  Which makes me slightly angry as I'm a bit fond of Boleyn as a girl's name, unconventional as it might be. 

19 minutes ago, Flossie said:

You guys realize there is a Politics section?  It's got threads discussing a lot of this stuff, and a Political Memes thread that has given me a few much-needed chuckles.

Anyway, thank goodness for thread drift, because I have a question and I figure a lot of people will see it if I post it here.

Congratulations! :)

Tell her to take everything she reads online with a huge grain of salt. I only read a couple of books but I googled a lot (bad idea) and observed friends and family with kids and then talked to Mr. Way about what we wanted to do. Do we keep what we said? Sometimes. :)

55 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

More thread drift: with all the comments on Trump and what other countries think of him, I'm curious to know what the homeland thinks in Italy. @Italiangirl @laPapessaGiovanna - what's the general Italian consensus? 

Well, consensus and Italy are two words that can't be in the same sentence. We don't agree on much, Trump included.

This said, before the election Trump was seen quite favorably by many (many others thought he couldn't be for real) because Clinton was a much hated Secretary of Foreign Affairs, it was often alleged that she meddled too much with ours and EU's politics, also her hawkish attitude in the ME conflicts and her ties to Wall Street didn't speak well of her.

Most Italians don't understand that much of the American political debates revolves around individual rights and social issues (such as abortion, public schools, health care and so on), because here those things existence is taken for granted and it's mostly a matter of which economic ideas are better and who is less corrupt.

So Trump was regarded as a crazy, loudmouthed typical American but after all more innocuous than Clinton for us. Mostly because should the US and Russia find an agreement on Syria, get rid of ISIS and generally get along better Italy would profit (exported a lot to Russia before the sanctions and we received 150 000 migrants only in 2016).

In the last weeks though opinions are starting to shift, not thanks to all the shitty things he is doing but for the damages his protectionist politics could do to our exports and his crazy loosening of the laws regarding Wall Street. 

I have to specify though that the vast majority of Italians don't speak a foreign language so in general rely heavily on our press to get to know foreign matters. Unfortunately our mainstream press is known for being partisan, unreliable and inaccurate.  For example I never heard anyone on our tv accurately translate Trump's "grab them by the pussy" recording. When I translated it for my mother she was shocked, she was convinced that after all he wasn't too bad because Radio Maria said so.

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

Regarding female defenders of the faith, I've seen several Fundies who consider Lady Jane Grey (and to a lesser extent, Anne Boleyn) defenders of the faith because of their role in freeing England from/resisting evil Catholic rule.  Though ironically I've never heard the same said about Elizabeth I. 

So we could see a Grey or a Boleyn or a Tudor Rose from the Seewalds eventually I suppose.  Which makes me slightly angry as I'm a bit fond of Boleyn as a girl's name, unconventional as it might be. 

Possibly thats because Liz I was notoriously lenient on heresy. Her anti-Catholic measures were put in place under tremendous pressure from her ministers after numerous plots on her life, and even then they were still far less harsh than the anti-Protestant measures by her sister Mary (aka Bloody Mary). Relatively few Catholics were persecuted.

It's often considered as part of the reason why England flourished during her reign - she was quite progressive in many ways. 

Another reason she might not be considered an anti-Catholic champion is because she lived a comparatively long life, as opposed to Anne and LJG who were both put to death young and could be considered martyrs. 

(sorry, history nerd over here!) 

Surely Henry VIII should be more idolised by the fundie guys? I do love Boleyn as a name. or Tudor would be good for a boy! 

I watched the Instagram video of Spurge & his Sippy cup from last week. Jessa is already treating Spurge like one of the herd. She has his name on his Sippy cup in masking tape and Sharpie. Just like the J'Slaves at the TTH. It's not like there are any other kids at Casa de Seewald and I doubt Jessa was going out too much right before she gave birth to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-#2. Spurge can't read yet. he wouldn't be able to tell his cup from someone else's cup. Guess you have to start training them early huh? 

I apologize if this makes little sense. I'm sick. I can't stop coughing. I've been on antibiotics since Saturday. They've helped with the congestion, but I'm still coughing and now my nose is running like a faucet. I need a nap. 

In her defense, they require names be on things for church nurseries, which could explain it. 

4 minutes ago, divadivine said:

I watched the Instagram video of Spurge & his Sippy cup from last week. Jessa is already treating Spurge like one of the herd. She has his name on his Sippy cup in masking tape and Sharpie. Just like the J'Slaves at the TTH. It's not like there are any other kids at Casa de Seewald and I doubt Jessa was going out too much right before she gave birth to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-#2. Spurge can't read yet. he wouldn't be able to tell his cup from someone else's cup. Guess you have to start training them early huh? 

I apologize if this makes little sense. I'm sick. I can't stop coughing. I've been on antibiotics since Saturday. They've helped with the congestion, but I'm still coughing and now my nose is running like a faucet. I need a nap. 

She could just take that cup to the TTH a lot, and is around his cousins, so it might just help to have it labelled.

2 hours ago, MyMilkshake said:

No name yet?  Wow.

They live in the CST zone it is only 2:55 pm here. Show doesn't come on for 5 more hours. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived