IGNORED

Lori Alexander 14: Environmental Notebook Doodles & Self-Righteous Husband Bashing

4 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Weird, I thought it was just Michigan. 

Though, I'm not sure about that map. My experience tells me it's soda in Chicago and Seattle (although I say soda so maybe it's just people realizing I'm a tourist?) 

The coke thing really gets me. I don't even know how that would come about. 

I waited tables at a 4 diamond hotel and I changed from saying pop to "soda" while working there so wait staff may change to sound better.

The coke thing gets me too. I have cousins down in VA and the first time I met them (I was in middle school) they asked if I would want a coke (read in heavy sweet southern accent). I said, "yes" then she said "what kind?" I was like HUH?! She then said, "sprite coke, cola coke, etc) I was confused!

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

The coke thing gets me too. I have cousins down in VA and the first time I met them (I was in middle school) they asked if I would want a coke (read in heavy sweet southern accent). I said, "yes" then she said "what kind?" I was like HUH?! She then said, "sprite coke, cola coke, etc) I was confused!

Sounds about right! Hey! Ya wanna coke? Sure! What kind? 

6 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I waited tables at a 4 diamond hotel and I changed from saying pop to "soda" while working there so wait staff may change to sound better.

Ha ha, yep. I live in southeastern VA, which has a lot of military so we hear all the different versions, but I still hear this one occasionally. :pb_lol:

Just now, Loveday said:

Ha ha, yep. I live in southeastern VA, which has a lot of military so we hear all the different versions, but I still hear this one occasionally. :pb_lol:

I grew up in Newport News. Hubby is from Hampton

Just now, feministxtian said:

I grew up in Newport News. Hubby is from Hampton

I'm on the other side of the HRBT. :pb_smile:

Just now, Loveday said:

I'm on the other side of the HRBT. :pb_smile:

Ahhh...you're on the Southside. Hubs was stationed in Norfolk, Little Creek and out in P-town

Mr. Bonkers and I are from different regions of the country. He says "soda", I say "pop". Good thing we don't have a Loriken marriage and still love each other anyway!

Just now, feministxtian said:

Ahhh...you're on the Southside. Hubs was stationed in Norfolk, Little Creek and out in P-town

That's so funny--mine was, too, back in the 80s and 90s! Mostly in Norfolk, but he spent some time at LC, and was at St Julien's Creek in Portsmouth for a year or two as well. Couldn't tell you the exact years now, though, it's all a blur to me these days. :pb_lol:

Too funny...Hubs was at St Julien's Creek too. I'm a true-blue NN girl...raised hell in Yorktown and went to Peninsula Catholic. We lived by Hampton Roads Academy before we moved out west. 

5 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Too funny...Hubs was at St Julien's Creek too. I'm a true-blue NN girl...raised hell in Yorktown and went to Peninsula Catholic. We lived by Hampton Roads Academy before we moved out west. 

My family moved here in the late 60s, my dad was Navy, and even though I married a Navy man, we've always managed to get stationed right here, although of course my husband deployed often out of Norfolk. So I've been here for almost fifty years (omg, that makes me feel ancient! :character-oldtimer:).  I'm a Beach girl who hates the beach--too much sand and sweat!--but a Princess Anne Cavalier to my last breath. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

And I call it soda, even though the only soda I drink is Coke. Hee hee.

Ah, let the thread drift commence! (I guess it already has.)

I'm a native Washingtonian (state variety) and it's always been pop, or soda pop if you're really country. To me soda means an ice cream soda or whiskey and soda.

My mother-in-law grew up in Alabama in the '20s, and she grew up calling it "dope." I wonder when that usage died out, or if there are still some holdouts.

In Jamaica, at least when we were there in the '90s, pretty much all nonalcoholic drinks were tea--including coffee, which was "coffee tea." I guess that's the island version of calling everything Coke.

8 minutes ago, Loveday said:

My family moved here in the late 60s, my dad was Navy, and even though I married a Navy man, we've always managed to get stationed right here, although of course my husband deployed often out of Norfolk. So I've been here for almost fifty years (omg, that makes me feel ancient! :character-oldtimer:).  I'm a Beach girl who hates the beach--too much sand and sweat!--but a Princess Anne Cavalier to my last breath. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

And I call it soda, even though the only soda I drink is Coke. Hee hee.

My parents moved to NN in the early 70's, dad got stationed at Langley AFB and then retired a few years later. Hub's family, same thing but I think they got there a year or so before us. One of my best friends is a Princess Anne Cavalier too. I'm a Peninsula Catholic girl (you know that reputation :) ) and hubby is a Phoebus Phantom. 

1 minute ago, feministxtian said:

My parents moved to NN in the early 70's, dad got stationed at Langley AFB and then retired a few years later. Hub's family, same thing but I think they got there a year or so before us. One of my best friends is a Princess Anne Cavalier too. I'm a Peninsula Catholic girl (you know that reputation :) ) and hubby is a Phoebus Phantom. 

Phantom! That's it! My husband and I were recently trying to name all the area school nicknames/mascots we could remember (our idea of scintillating conversation!), and while I could recall the Churchland Truckers and the Granby Comets, neither one of us could remember Phoebus! :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Similar to the coke thing, where I live in Australia, any drink with carbonation was referred to as 'lemonade'. This includes coke, sprite, fanta, lemon squash etc.

Only thinking about it now does it sound weird :P

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Phantom! That's it! My husband and I were recently trying to name all the area school nicknames/mascots we could remember (our idea of scintillating conversation!), and while I could recall the Churchland Truckers and the Granby Comets, neither one of us could remember Phoebus! :pb_lol:

I think I can name the Newport News schools: Warwick Raiders, Menchville Monarchs, Denbigh Patriots, Woodside Wolverines, Heritage Hurricanes, Peninsula Catholic Knights, Hampton Roads Navigators. Hampton: Bethel Bruins, Hampton Crabbers, Phoebus Phantoms, Kecoughtan Warriors. 

Southside schools I'm not so up on...

4 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I think I can name the Newport News schools: Warwick Raiders, Menchville Monarchs, Denbigh Patriots, Woodside Wolverines, Heritage Hurricanes, Peninsula Catholic Knights, Hampton Roads Navigators. Hampton: Bethel Bruins, Hampton Crabbers, Phoebus Phantoms, Kecoughtan Warriors. 

Southside schools I'm not so up on...

Princess Anne Cavaliers, Bayside Marlins, Cox Falcons, First Colonial Patriots, Kempsville Chiefs, Kellam Knights, Green Run Stallions, Salem Sundevils, Landstown Eagles, Tallwood Lions, Ocean Lakes Dolphins...I think that's all the VB schools, they've added a couple since I really paid attention to all that and I have to stop and think. Norfolk and Chesapeake--Granby Comets, Maury Commodores, Lake Taylor Titans, Booker T Washington Fighting Bookers, Great Bridge Wildcats, Hickory Hawks...and I know there are others but I can't think of them at this late hour. 

I suddenly feel like I need to wear a spirit ribbon and buy a ticket to the Homecoming Game. :pb_lol:

Ahhhh America is so weird. Over here football (as in soccer) is the thing. There's also rugby and tennis, and usually golf and the Tour de France are televised, but for most people it's all about soccer. And even then it's only the professional teams. University and high school sport just isn't a thing. The only inter-university event that most people would know about is the Oxford v Cambridge Boat Race, but then they're the oldest two universities and it's been going on for almost 200 years (first one in 1829). 

6 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Ahhhh America is so weird. Over here football (as in soccer) is the thing. There's also rugby and tennis, and usually golf and the Tour de France are televised, but for most people it's all about soccer. And even then it's only the professional teams. University and high school sport just isn't a thing. The only inter-university event that most people would know about is the Oxford v Cambridge Boat Race, but then they're the oldest two universities and it's been going on for almost 200 years (first one in 1829). 

The bolded...a very good thing. The largest public university in my state is currently planning for huge budget cuts and tuition increases, but was able to hire a new defensive coordinator for the football team with a base salary of $800,000 (plus bonuses and perks). Because we have priorities. The head coach gets $1.5 million base salary and the university is still paying out the previous head coach's contract for two more years to the tune of $128,000 a month.

And high schools around here typically base their hiring choices for teachers on what their needs are for sports coaches. Doesn't matter if that means hiring the worst teacher who applied for the position. If that one is the best coach, that's who they hire. Kids don't need quality math instruction as much as the school needs to win basketball games, after all. 

I have long held the opinion that the removal of sports from secondary and post-secondary educational institutions would be a huge step in improving our education in this country. Too often, sports become the priority for parents, students, staff and administrators. 

9 hours ago, polecat said:

This strikes me as really sad. I've never been what anyone would call pretty, so maybe I just can't understand. And my body is disfigured by disease. In other words, age can't rob me of something I've never had in the first place. But it strikes me as so sad that she (and apparently Ken) have placed such a high price on her physical appearance, which is, after all, fleeting. 

Then again, as much as she looks- and body-snarks other women, maybe I should save my sympathy. 

I see SO MANY people who seem to believe this. Who load their plates with organic junk food or "sugar-free" crap or (my favorite) vegan junk foods with the idea that they're "healthy." I'm not sure how so many people are lacking in basic nutrition knowledge. 

No, I suspect she literally "popped them in the mouth" rather than slapping them in the face. My mom slapped our faces, and she popped our mouths, and these were two very different actions. "Popping our mouths" was a slap directly over our mouths rather than a cheek slap (like a slapped face implies), and it HURT. I'd had some teeth knocked out fairly early in life, so every time she "popped me," I had the added jolt of terror that she'd do further damage to my teeth. 

What? That's insane. I had no idea popping was a thing. I'm very sorry your mother did this to you. My parents were slappers. My siblings and I used to fight about NOT sitting next to her in the car, because you never knew when she'd let loose.  But that was nothing next to my father's slaps. When someone outweighs you by 100 pounds, they can really do some damage.

@polecat, every time I read something like your description of your childhood, I want to grab your childhood self, bring you to my house for milk, cookies and hugs. 

From the FB comments of the "No Fat Kids Allowed" post:

Lori recommends and links the following product:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPUY3W0/ref=sr_ph_1_s_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1486136646&sr=sr-1&keywords=natural+calm&th=1

Reader:

Can this be used for children?

Lori:

yes!

THIS is why Dr. Alexander shouldn't be giving out medical advice.  A quick look at the bottle shows that you are NOT to give the product to children under 4 without consulting a doctor. Does Lori mention that, or ask how old her kids are?  Nope.  Just, "yes!"

Reader:

What is the dosing for that? I have been giving my kids Miralax per the pedi but looking for something else.

*raises hand* I'll help!  The dosage is:

ASK YOUR CHILD'S DOCTOR!!!  You don't just give your kids random shit from Amazon because some nut on the internet recommended it! 

Then this shining example of intelligence comes along and asks:

The Transformed Wife do you think I can put this in a gastrostomy tube for my two littlest?

I am sorry, but are you out of your freaking mind, lady?  Does Lori look like a doctor to you? This is a woman who can't figure out how to pick up her purse, get in her car, and drive away from a fire.  She brags that she's not very intellectual, and doesn't understand big, confusing words.  She often describes herself as "easily deceived".  Do you REALLY want her giving you medical advice for your two children who obviously have health issues?  Really? 

If Lori was consistent with her "advice," the answer should always be "ask your husband or father"

Speaking of the Christian Bible Law, my house is taking steps to make sure we have all travel documents. 

Lori also says there "aren't any side effects either". That is the exact quote. 

A quick google search

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70157-natural-calm-side-effects/

I can't stand how people take their godly mentor as an expert in everything. 

I will say the doctors giving all kids miralax has been a huge problem. Its their solution to everything without getting to the root of the problem. Miralax has not been approved for kids and even for adults it says not to take for more than 7 days. I've been to a few pediatricians and a gasto doc who all said to take one cap full every hour if needed (adults aren't even told that much) because its apparently so mild and that it can be taken for years if needed like a daily vitamin. 

There is a lot of negative stuff about miralax out there 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/21/miralax-laxatives.aspx

2 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Lori also says there "aren't any side effects either". That is the exact quote. 

A quick google search

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70157-natural-calm-side-effects/

I can't stand how people take their godly mentor as an expert in everything. 

I will say the doctors giving all kids miralax has been a huge problem. Its their solution to everything without getting to the root of the problem. Miralax has not been approved for kids and even for adults it says not to take for more than 7 days. I've been to a few pediatricians and a gasto doc who all said to take one cap full every hour if needed (adults aren't even told that much) because its apparently so mild and that it can be taken for years if needed like a daily vitamin. 

There is a lot of negative stuff about miralax out there 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/21/miralax-laxatives.aspx

No offense, but while I agree that taking Miralax constantly is likely problematic, I would never, ever, ever take anything written by "Dr" Mercola without an entire pound of salt and sometimes more. 

Quack central. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived