IGNORED

First Grandson Special

Buzzard

2. She screamed, "Thank you, Jesus," over and over again. I'm being a huge, disgusting cynic, but do you think she screamed the same thing when she got knocked up? ;)

Michelle did that after one of the births. It was the last one that was "natural." I think they're trained to say that until they get themeselves composed.

It was really sweet when she said his name, but her crying telling Mac "mommys gonna have her baby soon" was sad. She knew what she was in for and couldnt be scared...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was really sweet when she said his name, but her crying telling Mac "mommys gonna have her baby soon" was sad. She knew what she was in for and couldnt be scared...

Noooo...I didn't take it that way at all. She was experiencing the exquisite wrenching joy of knowing you could never love a child as much as you love your first, and still knowing that you will, and you must.

I understood it completely. You should see the letter I wrote to my first son just before I gave birth to my second.

Finally watched it. Some thoughts that haven't been mentioned:

*Jessa was there, across the room, and boy, she couldn't have looked less impressed with birth if she tried. She almost looked a little freaked out, though this is surely the fourth or fifth birth she's seen. She has it good as far as fundie girls go, but I still have hope that she'll be one who thwarts from within the system - one who finds a husband who agrees to quietly not have sex when they know she's ovulating. I don't know what all's been going in her head since Josie was born, but every time I see her I get the feeling she's stewing over something or working something out.

*Jill as midwife-in-training. Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jill really does have a lot of compassion and I think she'll make a good, caring medical professional. And she seemed to have a surprising amount of directness and maturity when she said Anna had had some pushes, but nothing strong (while Michelle cooed that it would be "a few more minutes"). But I have to laugh at the parts where Jill's youngness comes to the forefront - where she's smacking her gum, for instance. Another time I thought she showed her age - but also her caring - was when they showed the contents of the emergency suitcase. A jumbo pack of pads was on the very top - Jill looked like she was trying to shove them aside or away, probably realized that would just draw more attention, so she "casually" rested her hand across the giant picture of the pad. So cute.

*I couldn't really fault Josh for napping. Dude did look exhausted, and maybe he realized someone would have to care for Mac as well, once everyone leaves. It's something that's recommended frequently. But man, I can't believe Anna was making things harder because she was embarrassed about the cameras. Well, I CAN, but when you sign on to have your birth filmed you're either okay with the potential poop and the gore, or you shouldn't do it!

Noooo...I didn't take it that way at all. She was experiencing the exquisite wrenching joy of knowing you could never love a child as much as you love your first, and still knowing that you will, and you must.

I understood it completely. You should see the letter I wrote to my first son just before I gave birth to my second.

Thank you for your perspective. I've only given birth to one, so it seemed very surreal to me to see Anna. How awful that cameras were in her face at that moment. Poor girl.

Did anyone else feel like the conversation between Michelle and Anna at the nail salon seemed a little forced? I'm thinking it was scripted.

Sorry, being a completely superficial bitch here, but why is there TP in the bathtub!? Wiggin' me out! Wouldn't it get soaked every time you took a shower!?

And yea, I took Anna's little talk with Mac the same way that Creaky did. I had similar moments with my 2YO before the twins were born.

I am pretty sure you are not seeing toilet paper in the bathtub, she is sitting on the toilet (and the toilet paper is on the wall).

Can you explain this more? I'm very curious. Do you force yourself to love the second child, while the first was more natural love? Or is an overwhelming feeling where your heart is expanding again, as fundies like to say - your love is growing, which you couldn't really imagine until it happens? Or?

love is growing, which you couldn't really imagine until it happens

THis one..... You can't imagine loving a little person as much as you love you first child. Low and behold...it happens.

Personally, I wouldn't want to give birth at home, but respect other women's desire to do so. At the hospital I didn't have to worry about bleeding on the mattress or cleaning it up and I had medical professionals there if I needed them - which i did with my first (he developed an infection after birth and I also needed stitches. But, I'm also wondering if he developed an infection from the nurse checking my dilation progression. I'd already tested positive for group B strep, so I'd probably have to be in the hospital anyway. I didn't like that nurse. I didn't like her personality at all). Knowing that there were people near me if I needed medical anything was a huge comfort to me.

But mainly, it's the cleaning up after birth and all the blood involved. Blood is near impossible to get out of things, and the last thing I'd want to do or have my husband do is have to clean up a bloody mess. New mattresses are expensive! ;)

Also, I have to share this from Awkwardfamilyphotos.com. It's perfect for this thread, I think.

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2011/05/ ... y-special/

The woman submitting the photo says: "“So, I had just given birth to my first son at a local birthing center and there had been another couple that had given birth just before me there as well. The midwife told us that the couple in the other room wanted to come over to say congratulations and introduce us to their child as well. Little did I know that they would come into my room with no pants on. Even better, they both had NO UNDERWEAR ON. And from my vantage point, I could see everything. It was disturbingly awkward to say the least. I have no idea why my husband had his shirt off, but I assure you, he had his pants on. To this day I still have no idea why they were both naked from the waist down. Even more importantly, why was HE?â€

(submitted by Jillian)"

Jillian makes a few comments in the comment section, too, if you care to read it.

No! The don't watch tv, remember [wink, wink, nudge] Like when they put the birth control commercials on during the show a few years ago.

2. I was watching old 17 Kids episode! MY GO.....has Josh Porked out!!! Step back from the Chicken'etti pan, big boy!! Lazy, Lazy, Lazy--get some exercise! Poor Anna looked huge on Today, but it's totally understandable. 2 kids 2 fast..

3. Anna had the baby on the toilet?? On the toilet on tv?? Replay the Modesty Lectures, please! How is that poor kid going to feel know he was POOPED out, not POPPED out on national tv into the can??? ICK! EEWWWWWW.....Poor, poor kid.

You either never had a kid or have never witnessed a birth. It's a biological process, and those get messy. But it's so much more than just that. Watching a baby come into the world is actually quite a miracle. I treasure my memories of assisting at my sister's birth, "mess" and all. Out of respect to her, I won't describe it in detail, but childbirth is one of the most raw, human experiences there are. Ask your mother what it was like birthing you. Chances are, it wasn't a pristine experience. Bodily fluids are all part of the game.

Finally watched it. Some thoughts that haven't been mentioned:

*Jill as midwife-in-training. Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jill really does have a lot of compassion and I think she'll make a good, caring medical professional.

:lol: Poor Jill.

I agree though, she is compassionate and was shockingly sorta competent.

After Michael emerged, was it Jill who had the presence of mind to immediately wipe his head clean as he laid on Anna's chest, or was it Teresa? Amid all the drama and excitement, someone there was cool and collected enough to perform the next necessary steps.

If the man was naked from the waist down it makes me think they were trying out for an orgasmic birth (google it).

I was thinking about how Teresa had used the term "baby juices" when explaining why they were covering the couch w/ large absorbent pads. While I wouldn't hold the phrase 'baby juices' against her, I was surprised at her choice of words when suggesting that Anna try to use the bathroom before she could go ahead w/ the final pushes to birth Michael. Twice she asked Anna if she wanted to go 'potty'. Who uses terminology like that when talking to an adult? Rather, what professional uses terminology like that with a patient/adult, especially a professional who is married to an MD? Many medical professionals I know are more likely to use medically appropriate words, rather than the words lay people might commonly use (i.e., "lacerations and contusions" instead of "cuts and bruises").

I'll give Miss Teresa a pass on "baby juices" as a cute way of reminding us that the potentially gross bodily fluids that come with childbirth are necessary to bring the baby forth into the world. And that childbirth is ultimately about a baby, so go ahead with the cutesy phrasing. But, adults don't go to 'potty'.

I was thinking about how Teresa had used the term "baby juices" when explaining why they were covering the couch w/ large absorbent pads. While I wouldn't hold the phrase 'baby juices' against her, I was surprised at her choice of words when suggesting that Anna try to use the bathroom before she could go ahead w/ the final pushes to birth Michael. Twice she asked Anna if she wanted to go 'potty'. Who uses terminology like that when talking to an adult? Rather, what professional uses terminology like that with a patient/adult, especially a professional who is married to an MD? Many medical professionals I know are more likely to use medically appropriate words, rather than the words lay people might commonly use (i.e., "lacerations and contusions" instead of "cuts and bruises").

I'll give Miss Teresa a pass on "baby juices" as a cute way of reminding us that the potentially gross bodily fluids that come with childbirth are necessary to bring the baby forth into the world. And that childbirth is ultimately about a baby, so go ahead with the cutesy phrasing. But, adults don't go to 'potty'.

Why not just say, amniotic fluid? That isin't a bad word and the reluctance to use it seems odd.

She doesn't get a pass on "baby juices" from me. That was the most revolting thing I have heard in a good couple of years.

She probably didn't use the term amniotic fluid because maybe she didn't think the Duggar followers would understand because I'm sure its probably not covered in wisdom booklets.

This is why Teresa's use of non medical (and non professional) words surprises me. Even Jill came off more poised and professional when she said (something to the effect of), "Anna felt the need to relieve her self and relieved herself of..." while smiling and gesturing to Anna holding Michael.

The baby juice thing was disgusting. My mom had my little sister when I was eleven and they didn't use terms like that around me. I think if anything the nurse would've told me about "fluids involved in childbirth."

The fact of the matter is, Teresa is a doula, not a CNM. She isn't licensed to deliver babies- she's supposed to be there to offer assistance and encouragement to the mother. While I understand that Anna feels comfortable with Teresa, what would have happened if the baby had needed oxygen? Not to mention the fact that Michael James, at almost 9 pounds, was a fairly large baby. Did Anna tear? Is Teresa qualified to stitch up a tear?

The stupidity of these people is mind-boggling. You want a home birth? Fine. Just do it properly, with a licensed CNM attending. All the praying in the world won't help if an emergency requiring immediate medical intervention occurs, and you have to wait for an ambulance to show up.

And Teresa's husband is an MD. He is familiar with malpractice and liability issues. It's hard to believe he would condone having his unlicensed wife deliver a baby on national tv, TWICE.

You have to wonder what the driving force behind this insane decision really was. Money? Or maybe they couldn't find a licensed CNM willing to appear on camera? Or maybe it's just that the Duggars really are dumber than a box of rocks.

• Curious locked this topic

Archived