IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 3

samurai_sarah

At our house we call them Doritos books. Nothing wrong with reading them occasionally, but they can't be the staple of your literary diet. My Doritos books used to be Nora Roberts, now Jennifer Crusie. The silly mystery/romance gets me every time; sorry, not sorry. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@PreciousPantsofDoom,

I don't really care if anyone is impressed by how much I've read, but I feel the need to know what books are on the shelves - if for nothing else so that when we move (courtesy of Uncle Sam), I can pack the books in an orderly fashion and know what's in each box.

As for Kindle, I'm really glad Amazon has the little "you already own this" message that pops up.

4 hours ago, Nina said:

I might have put some very hard words towards Brigid. But reading between the lines and having a case of female sibling problems in my Husbands family made it seem plausible that Brigid might have been (not necessarily consciously) a bit snobbish about her being engaged and getting married. I however was not there so I cannot be certain. I was also egged on by an incident my Husband and SIL + Son had while meeting them at Linden. So please accept my apology. 

Care to elaborate on the incident?

1 hour ago, desertvixen said:

@PreciousPantsofDoom,

I don't really care if anyone is impressed by how much I've read, but I feel the need to know what books are on the shelves - if for nothing else so that when we move (courtesy of Uncle Sam), I can pack the books in an orderly fashion and know what's in each box.

As for Kindle, I'm really glad Amazon has the little "you already own this" message that pops up.

@desertvixen my comment was really a peevish response to the vibe I got from Gabe's " Look at me ! I've read 1000 books*"(not his actual words) thing.  I have no problem with the idea of cataloging your books or keeping a record of them in some way. I just think it's stupid to bring up the number of books a person has read and think that raw number  somehow means they are more or less intelligent/educated.

Go ahead, keep your books in an orderly fashion.  I approve (not that it matters one bit whether I do or not! )

On 12/28/2016 at 5:35 PM, Gabe said:

I ignored it because I never thought of or think of history in the context of the melanin count of their skin.

It's insulting and racist to continually frame history along racial lines and I am sick of it. I agree with Morgan Freeman on this topic. One of the best ways to combat racism is to stop talking about the color of people's skin and instead judge them based on their actions and what they contribute to society.

History isn't white or black or Asian or brown it's history. So do your bit and point me in the direction of good material that you think is underserved if you want to do something positive instead of whining about whitewashing.

But, see, the reason that we study history from those angles or applying those particular filters is because conventional histories have elided or skipped over these events, circumstances and people. The discipline developed in this direction to counterbalance a perceived lack, and now it's another frame through which the study of history can be undertaken. 

It's a focus.

12 hours ago, seraaa said:

But, see, the reason that we study history from those angles or applying those particular filters is because conventional histories have elided or skipped over these events, circumstances and people. The discipline developed in this direction to counterbalance a perceived lack, and now it's another frame through which the study of history can be undertaken. 

It's a focus.

I was thinking about this last night and realized I neglected to answer the second part of your question. 

The historian David Olusoga presented a documentary on the BBC recently which is an example of what we're talking about. It was on the subject of the British slave trade, up to and including the abolition, which is familiar and well-trodden ground. In school, we'd learn about the economics of the triangular trade, but this documentary focusses on the people who benefited from that situation, and what the consequences of it were for life at home. (It's an example in line with that of the one  brought up earlier of the National Trust being less coy about the source of the family wealth which built many of the houses they manage).

@Gabe

I am not convinced that you are THE GABE, but I am going to assume you are in this post.

Would you consider someone who has only read the Bible once an expert on the Bible?

I am going to make the assumption that the answer is no. I am also going to make the assumption that you attempt to make time to read the Bible everyday. You might even try to read through the Bible every year. I am also assuming that you have had the experience of reading a passage multiple times and see something in the passage that you have never noticed before making it feel like you are reading it for the first time. You have probably hard multiple sermons on the Lord's Prayer and can likely gain a new perspective on if you listen to a new sermon about it or read a book about it.

I have always heard Christians attribute this to the Holy Spirit and I am going to assume you hold this belief too. I don't think it takes anything away from that belief to also realize that we all have our own perspectives and ability to think creatively. I am a Christian and have attended church my entire life. I remember that it stuck out to me that Mary put Jesus in swaddling clothes the first Christmas I was a mother. I now saw that passage from the perspective of a mother. There is also the fact that we can read books multiple times and realize we have forgotten things. I have to read books multiple times to remember most of what is in it.

Basically, what I am trying to get across is that there is a difference between being widely read and well read. It is important to listen to other's viewpoint. It will either make your own beliefs stronger or help you realize flaws in your thinking.

Oh boy, I got the absolute best chuckle out of the group family photo! The stark contrast between how the dad and Gabe are dressed is hilarious. These are the kinds of awful sartorial choices that future generations are going to absolutely love. (Our family's version includes my uncle with a mullet and cutoff jean shorts in 1986.) Mr. And Mrs. Boyer just both look like they literally can't even handle the plaid-stravaganza and are doing their best to ignore it. :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, Ali said:

Basically, what I am trying to get across is that there is a difference between being widely read and well read. It is important to listen to other's viewpoint. It will either make your own beliefs stronger or help you realize flaws in your thinking.

THIS!

(guess it didn't copy. I was referring to the statement about there being a difference between widely read and well read)

The writing on that blog is so painfully overwrought and awful.  How delightful it is for all of their dear readers to get a peek of their festivities! Each day with Brigid and Gabe was like a special gift they got to open up and rejoice in.  Let it drop girls, let it drop.

Surely there should have been photos of them emoting with the pudding, thoughtfully pondering the pleasure of entering into the scene of a basting turkey or fluttering eyelashes at the display of cards of people who think of them. I just didn't imagine their Christmas without some visual displays of narcissism!!

The plaidstravaganza. Oh my.  Makes me wish my Scottish grandparents were still alive because Nan's reaction to that would have been priceless.

My pet peeve is below the photo of the cards: it is not a "fireplace mantle."  a mantle is a shawl or cape. A mantel is the structure over a fireplace.

Another one: not "bows of holly;" it's boughs.  Granted, I'm assuming she's referencing the song using that pronunciation, especially since I've never heard of anyone tying holly in a bow.

1 hour ago, catlady said:

My pet peeve is below the photo of the cards: it is not a "fireplace mantle."  a mantle is a shawl or cape. A mantel is the structure over a fireplace.

Another one: not "bows of holly;" it's boughs.  Granted, I'm assuming she's referencing the song using that pronunciation, especially since I've never heard of anyone tying holly in a bow.

I think you are being kind, I have never sung "bows of holly."  

This particular entry reminds me of a couple of my cousins, they always post the happiest, jolliest, cheeriest things ever on FB. It always surprises me, I don't know why exactly.  I guess because it never occurs to me to post our private pictures and stories showcasing my awesomeness. Do people really want to know what we ate on Christmas or what our tree looked like? Maybe they do and I just assumed no one wanted to know.  Am I causing untold heartbreak by not posting my prime rib dinner, bûche de Noel, and Christmas decorations?  Probably not, but I do enjoy seeing how others celebrate. 

Seriously though, what is Gabe's family name? Tartans aren't really fashion accessories in my book. They have meanings. 

51 minutes ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

I think you are being kind, I have never sung "bows of holly."  

This particular entry reminds me of a couple of my cousins, they always post the happiest, jolliest, cheeriest things ever on FB. It always surprises me, I don't know why exactly.  I guess because it never occurs to me to post our private pictures and stories showcasing my awesomeness. Do people really want to know what we ate on Christmas or what our tree looked like? Maybe they do and I just assumed no one wanted to know.  Am I causing untold heartbreak by not posting my prime rib dinner, bûche de Noel, and Christmas decorations?  Probably not, but I do enjoy seeing how others celebrate. 

I love pictures of people's holiday food and decorations! But I do agree that it can devolve into bragging and showing off. 

40 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

Seriously though, what is Gabe's family name? Tartans aren't really fashion accessories in my book. They have meanings. 

I was wondering the same thing. I don't care for ours, but I would never have told my grandmother that. 

11 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

I love pictures of people's holiday food and decorations! But I do agree that it can devolve into bragging and showing off. 

I feel like people would automatically think, "CB, get over yourself!" Yet, I love looking at others' pictures and hearing or reading about their holidays.  I think it has been ingrained in me not to brag or give the appearance of bragging.  Childhood baggage. 

7 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

We had lasagna Christmas Eve and Taco Night Christmas Day night. It was awesome. 

29 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

We had lasagna Christmas Eve and Taco Night Christmas Day night. It was awesome. 

We had lasagna on Christmas Eve too! My sister hosted Christmas Eve dinner this year and she decided to make her killer lasagna (easy to make before mass and pop in the oven when you get home to bake while everyone eats their fill of appetizers!).

1 hour ago, DaisyD said:

Brigid became Mrs. Everson when she got married. But surname Everson doesn't have a tartan, so they use the MacIver tartan (source: www.kiltmakers.com). 

3 hours ago, catlady said:

I'm so glad I'm not the only grated by "bows of holly." You think with all the flowery language the sisters use, they'd fact check a song lyric/phrase. Especially since they're musicians! 

I've been thoroughly enjoying this thread, thank you fj'ers and @Gabe!

Apart from the obvious  mistake,  with the "boughs" not "bows" of holly, I am particularly amused that they would reference what was originally a pagan song, as of couse is ' the holly and the ivy'!

Bringing in greenery for the midwinter festival, and the battle each year between the holly king and the oak king for supremacy are both pagan practices! 

The prickly holly is the male and the twining ivy is the female. ......the Christian verses (which don't even scan with the original parts of the song) were added later. Decking one's hall with boughs (or wreaths) of holly and of course mistletoe with it's fertility association, still remembered by kissing under it, is an importal part of Yule........just something else reappropriated by Christians to make the midwinter festival all about their religion!

5 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Brigid became Mrs. Everson when she got married. But surname Everson doesn't have a tartan, so they use the MacIver tartan (source: www.kiltmakers.com). 

My Scottish heritage is on my mom's side so I wear the MacDonald of Keppoch tartan. 

54 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

@Gabe - today could be your lucky day! 

Amazon's daily kindle specials for 1/4/2017 include Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States.

But I don't have a Kindle... (And I get books that I don't care to own from the Library)

So have you had time to think about what you consider whitewashing? I gave you examples. Are those whitewashing in your mind? 

Also, any books you would recommend to us? You seemed to think that not all Christian history books weren't whitewashed, so can you tell us one that you view as good, solid history? 

9 hours ago, DaisyD said:

I live in Scotland where kilt hire for events isn't so unusual, and while it's common to wear an associated Clan tartan if you have the family name, or one with a special meaning, it's also common to choose one based purely on the style or design. It just depends, really.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived